During the last Crackberry podcast, Crackberry Kevin said that he had "no skin in the game" - i.e. he was not being paid for his exceptional efforts bringing a broad range of efforts and the maker of the new BlackBerry to the podcast! Even James and others packed a PixeL 4s to the podcast. Bla1ze said that he did not have posting rights to Crackberry! Isn't it time that we revived Crackberry to a place that it discusses BlackBerry issues rather than just a sales platform?
    08-31-20 02:33 PM
    "We" have no control over what Future US, Inc want's to do with their property. Our how they go about funding it's operations.

CrackBerry has ALWAYS had ads of one type or another... just didn't see them recently as BBMo was sponsoring. And the digital offers were mix in with at least at least a dozen new articles a day.
    eshropshire likes this.
    08-31-20 03:03 PM
    During the last Crackberry podcast, Crackberry Kevin said that he had "no skin in the game" - i.e. he was not being paid for his exceptional efforts bringing a broad range of efforts and the maker of the new BlackBerry to the podcast! Even James and others packed a PixeL 4s to the podcast. Bla1ze said that he did not have posting rights to Crackberry! Isn't it time that we revived Crackberry to a place that it discusses BlackBerry issues rather than just a sales platform?
    The members control the forum content, and are also free to submit articles.

Bla1ze posts articles and in the forums all the time, so I think you misunderstood.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-31-20 03:05 PM
    I suggest you watch again. Kevin's commented he has no skin in the game -- he has no direct connection to CB. Bla1ze's comment was confirming that Kevin has no editorial posting rights.
    08-31-20 03:39 PM
    My point exactly! You take numbers of people on that podcast who are seminal to Crackberry and they are sidelined by the overt advertising nature of Crackberry at the moment. Sure there was always cool stuff to buy. However, it was not the overriding emphasis of what Crackberry was. Who has some skin in the game here? I would like someone to step up that has proper engagement with BlackBerry!
    08-31-20 09:43 PM
    My point exactly! You take numbers of people on that podcast who are seminal to Crackberry and they are sidelined by the overt advertising nature of Crackberry at the moment. Sure there was always cool stuff to buy. However, it was not the overriding emphasis of what Crackberry was. Who has some skin in the game here? I would like someone to step up that has proper engagement with BlackBerry!
    How much interest do you have hearing about QNX auto or BlackBerry Spark?

The only consumer action at the moment is apparently with OnwardMobility, and the only guy who can speak for them has - in the very podcast you reference.

Do you want CrackBerry to hack Peter's email?
    08-31-20 09:44 PM
    This was a media event! (And at s perfect time with Bla1ze talking from the last box he was moving) It would be interesting to hear from Kevin, James, Bla1ze et al. What motivated you to be there? This was not the private club of BlackBerry users showing off there favourite phone and side loading apps. Was there true buzz about this? Is this a new consumer device coming? Do we need the ***** Eye guys to redo Kevin's wardrobe and plan for more parties. Or is this going to be a simple extension of BlackBerry corporate security? Who has skin in the game - BlackBerry Corporate Security or the lowly consumer?
    08-31-20 10:46 PM
    This was a media event! (And at s perfect time with Bla1ze talking from the last box he was moving) It would be interesting to hear from Kevin, James, Bla1ze et al. What motivated you to be there? This was not the private club of BlackBerry users showing off there favourite phone and side loading apps. Was there true buzz about this? Is this a new consumer device coming? Do we need the ***** Eye guys to redo Kevin's wardrobe and plan for more parties. Or is this going to be a simple extension of BlackBerry corporate security? Who has skin in the game - BlackBerry Corporate Security or the lowly consumer?
    I'm really confused about what you're trying to say.

Here is the CrackBerry news story that contains the complete press release from OnwardMobility:

A new 5G BlackBerry Android smartphone with a keyboard will arrive in 2021 https://www.crackberry.com/new-5g-bl...ll-arrive-2021

They also had a podcast to talk to the President of the company.

That's all anyone has at the moment. There's nothing more.
    fanisk likes this.
    08-31-20 10:51 PM
    This podcast did double duty -- to get Onward's CEO live, AND, in response to member requests to pull together the old group for a discussion. Nostalgia. That's even mentioned at the beginning of the podcast. There's no hidden agenda here -- advertising or otherwise.
    08-31-20 10:59 PM
    As long as CBK, Bla1ze et al. don't receive money from OnwardMobility, they will not lift a finger for the new 5G BlackBerry. Why should they? That was different just three years ago at IFA Berlin. How time flies.

"No Skin in the Game"-cbk.jpg
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    09-01-20 03:34 AM
    As long as CBK, Bla1ze et al. don't receive money from OnwardMobility, they will not lift a finger for the new 5G BlackBerry.
    What are they supposed to be doing?

They had the president of the company on a podcast a day after the announcement.
    09-01-20 06:41 AM
    As long as CBK, Bla1ze et al. don't receive money from OnwardMobility, they will not lift a finger for the new 5G BlackBerry. Why should they? That was different just three years ago at IFA Berlin. How time flies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBK.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	449432
    Similarly, BlackBerry Limited seems more focused in this arena.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301121629.html
    09-01-20 07:32 AM
    What are they supposed to be doing?

They had the president of the company on a podcast a day after the announcement.
    Lol
    09-01-20 01:45 PM
    I realize that BlackBerry's main focus is software and they are having success with that. Secure hardware would be the icing on the cake! BlackBerry needs to get off the dime and realize that secure hardware is a vital part of what they should be offering. Companies, Governments are struggling with a variety of devices. Secure devices, no matter how unattractive to the consumer, should be a vital part of their end to end strategy!
    Linto988 likes this.
    09-01-20 01:52 PM
    Let's be serious! The consumer has not supported new BlackBerry phones and will not unless OnwardMobility can convince young consumers that BlackBerry will offer something new and truly different. In my opinion, the main point of making a "new secure phone " is to provide it as part of a total security package to large entities.
    09-01-20 01:58 PM
    I realize that BlackBerry's main focus is software and they are having success with that. Secure hardware would be the icing on the cake! BlackBerry needs to get off the dime and realize that secure hardware is a vital part of what they should be offering. Companies, Governments are struggling with a variety of devices. Secure devices, no matter how unattractive to the consumer, should be a vital part of their end to end strategy!
    This is a whole other topic, unrelated to either CrackBerry or OnwardMobility. But that ship has sailed and BlackBerry Limited has been crystal clear on the matter.
    09-01-20 02:17 PM
    Let's be serious! The consumer has not supported new BlackBerry phones and will not unless OnwardMobility can convince young consumers that BlackBerry will offer something new and truly different. In my opinion, the main point of making a "new secure phone " is to provide it as part of a total security package to large entities.
    It is an enterprise-first device. It will likely be accessible to consumer enthusiasts, but I doubt any time or money will be spent wooing them.
    09-01-20 02:19 PM
    I think you are right! BlackBerry won't be setting Sid and the unlucky boys from the Leafs up on an ice pad in the Rockies to take slap shots with Blackberrys taped to their sticks. It will make much more sense to go to the the U.S. government and offer them a comprehensive suite of services for security's sake! And by the way, I now have hardware that capitalizes on suite of software services I offer!
    09-01-20 02:30 PM
    And by the way, both the software and the hardware are from North American based companies!
    09-01-20 02:38 PM
    And by the way, both the software and the hardware are from North American based companies!
    Yes. Apparently FIH is eyeing a plant in Mexico. They already make most of their product (like Nokia) in Vietnam.
    09-01-20 02:42 PM
    I think that this gets me back to the podcast - "i.e. No Skin in the Game" . In my mind, there seemed to be an air of disbelief that BlackBerry was licensing a new phone so early after TCL formally left! What "skin in the game" did these guys have to promote what seems to be a corporate based tool then a consumer device?
    09-01-20 02:45 PM
    I think that this gets me back to the podcast - "i.e. No Skin in the Game" . In my mind, there seemed to be an air of disbelief that BlackBerry was licensing a new phone so early after TCL formally left! What "skin in the game" did these guys have to promote what seems to be a corporate based tool then a consumer device?
    Enthusiasts like us will be interested either way, right?

And we don't really know ALL the details yet (and I suspect Onward probably doesn't either).
    09-01-20 02:48 PM
    That's the question we all want to know..... How do they think they can succeed where so many others have failed? Or how do the offer a Enterprise Security Device that is better than Knox or iOS, and yet competitive (updates - not price) and desirable by "some" consumers?

In the end the podcast didn't answer that, and really left more questions. Just going to have to wait for more info...
    Flatman likes this.
    09-01-20 02:51 PM
    On the whole, it is a relief to find that somebody is making the next BlackBerry! It's easier than deciding which choice of slab phone would be the least come down. If it provides improvements over the Key2 (and I do still enjoy this phone), and does not cost legs, arms and various other body parts, I will certainly consider upgrading to it. I think that an increase of cost over the Key2 would not be out of question to provide a premium experience considering the small initial audience.
    09-01-20 04:05 PM
    On the whole, it is a relief to find that somebody is making the next BlackBerry! It's easier than deciding which choice of slab phone would be the least come down. If it provides improvements over the Key2 (and I do still enjoy this phone), and does not cost legs, arms and various other body parts, I will certainly consider upgrading to it. I think that an increase of cost over the Key2 would not be out of question to provide a premium experience considering the small initial audience.
    I suspect if similar to Key type specs, 20-25% price increase or if specs like Unihertz Titan running Android One, then 20-25% increase over Titan standard price.
    09-01-20 04:40 PM
60 123