It’s all going to boil down to the device specs, based on what other compatible smartphones are selling these days. I would think $699US for a decently equipped device would be in the ball park.

I can’t compare the new BlackBerry 5G pricing to what Apple and Samsung are changing for their products because again, these are well established brands that already have a significant customer base and the BlackBerry 5G will be a niche product, now it’s wait and see. Just my two cents worth.
    I disagree.

It's going to come down to what specific application this device is being designed for. It's just not logical that this is going to be yet another competitor for Knox or Apple. If it is, then talking about price and specs are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    mikael11 and anon(10710536) like this.
    08-25-20 09:29 AM
    I’m guessing there will be a fee for some ongoing service (maybe including VPN). I guess the question is will that service be optional?
    08-25-20 09:51 AM
    I disagree.

It's going to come down to what specific application this device is being designed for. It's just not logical that this is going to be yet another competitor for Knox or Apple. If it is, then talking about price and specs are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Good valid points, at this point in time it’s all speculation until we see an actual device to place our final judgment on. Should be interesting the next few months.
    08-25-20 10:21 AM
    €599, i base my price on expectations. Mid tier specs + added some bucks for it being a Blackberry license. If by odd chance it will be a slider might be more than.
    08-25-20 10:32 AM
    I’m guessing there will be a fee for some ongoing service (maybe including VPN). I guess the question is will that service be optional?
    Yeah SecuSuite baked in would be great for Enterprise... along with a few other services. But few consumers would be willing to pay a $80 a month fee....

Be great if the same hardware was flashed lock boot ROM and the BlackBerry software package,or with stock Android.
    08-25-20 12:01 PM
    Android One, BlackBerry Cylance for consumers and BlackBerry Enterprise for prosumers and up?

Posted via CB10
    Rico4you likes this.
    08-25-20 01:15 PM
    Android One, BlackBerry Cylance for consumers and BlackBerry Enterprise for prosumers and up?

Posted via CB10
    An improved version of CYLANCE for sure. Also would some type of safe mode 'room" ...where if device security breached or user thinks breached can lock down device / permissions. Nothing leaves Nothing enters.
    08-25-20 01:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    The problem is, none of that is unique to a BlackBerry device.

Besides, that stuff is already covered by BlackBerry Spark.

As an Enterprise device, there is no value-add.
    anon(10710536) likes this.
    08-25-20 01:27 PM

Right, they only way you get something really different... is your own OS or a forked version of Android.

We know BB10 development is too costly, but what did it cost to tweak Android for that Punkt Phone? Do the same but start with full ASOP with the smartphone features and add the required BlackBerry services running at the system level.... and you might get a Invincible phone?

Would still be expensive if they are only expecting 20K - 50K units to be moved. Can see some specific Enterprise or Government use cases for such a device.

But one assumes a consumer could load most any APK that doesn't use GPS, and/or the "hacks" that currently can get you GPS with Google Play.

But just trying to pick up where BBMo left off.... would be a waste of time.
    08-25-20 02:19 PM
    Right, they only way you get something really different... is your own OS or a forked version of Android.

We know BB10 development is too costly, but what did it cost to tweak Android for that Punkt Phone? Do the same but start with full ASOP with the smartphone features and add the required BlackBerry services running at the system level.... and you might get a Invincible phone?

Would still be expensive if they are only expecting 20K - 50K units to be moved. Can see some specific Enterprise or Government use cases for such a device.

But one assumes a consumer could load most any APK that doesn't use GPS, and/or the "hacks" that currently can get you GPS with Google Play.

Yes, just another BBMo device is a waste.

But I'm not even sure you can attached to a UEM without GSF - not to mention many enterprise apps require it.

They also said the device would be consumer-friendly, which precludes a non-GSF implementation.

I can't get my head around this.
    08-25-20 02:23 PM
    Price wouldn't be as important to me as longevity. If it'll be supported and last for three years I would seriously consider a pre-order on this one which I've never done with any phone.
    08-25-20 02:27 PM
    Yes, just another BBMo device is a waste.

But I'm not even sure you can attached to a UEM without GSF - not to mention many enterprise apps require it.

They also said the device would be consumer-friendly, which precludes a non-GSF implementation.

I can't get my head around this.
    I couldn't get my head around TCL's thinking with BBMo and enterprise either..... in the end BBMo was mostly about the PKB.
    08-25-20 02:47 PM

Is the consumer angle reasonable idea to generate monthly revenue? $4.95 or $9.95 month for instance?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-20 03:27 PM
    Is the consumer angle reasonable idea to generate monthly revenue? $4.95 or $9.95 month for instance?

Posted via CB10
    Sure, but you don't need to have a BlackBerry-branded device for that.
    08-25-20 03:28 PM
    Sure, but you don't need to have a BlackBerry-branded device for that.
    I'm just looking for a consumer hook but this is conundrum wrapped in an enigma for me. Then again, I struggle with my daughters and tiktok nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-20 03:31 PM
    I hate to pee all over this phone but why? How many times have we seen a "new" BlackBerry phone from various companies get abandoned by the manufacturer? Phones with plenty of life just poof....worthless? I hope this is not the same but history teaches us this will have lots of promise followed by............................well you already know.
    08-25-20 03:36 PM
    I hate to pee all over this phone but why? How many times have we seen a "new" BlackBerry phone from various companies get abandoned by the manufacturer? Phones with plenty of life just poof....worthless? I hope this is not the same but history teaches us this will have lots of promise followed by............................well you already know.
    If any other major manufacturer gave us a half decent PKB device, it would be game over for BB.
    08-25-20 05:48 PM
    If any other major manufacturer gave us a half decent PKB device, it would be game over for BB.
    It’s already game over and has been for almost 4 years. If someone wants to write a big enough check to BB for little in return, what’s Chen supposed to say, “No the PKB form and name are worthless and I can’t accept this” ?
    08-25-20 05:57 PM
    It’s already game over and has been for almost 4 years. If someone wants to write a big enough check to BB for little in return, what’s Chen supposed to say, “No the PKB form and name are worthless and I can’t accept this” ?
    Sorry to disappoint but it's not game over. It's game Back on.
    BlackBerry is Back and in 2021 with a 5G PKB new device. That simple.
    Yes we don't have the business plan and or any other information at the moment.
    So any other info at this moment is PURE speculation nothing else nothing more.
    08-25-20 06:21 PM
    Sorry to disappoint but it's not game over. It's game Back on.
    BlackBerry is Back and in 2021 with a 5G PKB new device. That simple.
    Yes we don't have the business plan and or any other information at the moment.
    So any other info at this moment is PURE speculation nothing else nothing more.
    No, it’s been game over for almost four years. Onward Mobility had strong enthusiasm and could even be charismatic speaker as Steve Jobs was. Unfortunately, each failure doesn’t start brand reputation at same beginning starting point. Each failure is deeper than previous one since it reinforces negative perception some prospective customers had previously.

Us diehards remaining will buy the hardware if meeting certain requirements like AT&T for me. Also, Onward need a multiplier of far more first time or longtime gone new customers. However, with each failure it gets exponentially more difficult.
    08-25-20 06:46 PM

They'll never move devices without Google Play Services so this won't happen.
    08-25-20 08:00 PM
    I think even the vast majority of BB users would balk at having to pay a monthly subscription fee on top of the cost of the device - after all, that doesn't exist with any other phone today.
    08-25-20 11:33 PM
    I shall provision ½ ounce of gold if 5G is available on BB10
    08-25-20 11:59 PM
    Timing could be right with AT&T and others dropping 3G. Assuming they get to market by mid 2021, that is less than 7 months before users will need to upgrade, while in time for the holiday season.

As for corporate and Government, it may be cutting it close for them as they are probably ramping up their hardware refresh to replace any devices ahead of the 3G retirement. A big sell would be if the security built in reduces the administrative setup effort required for corporate IT to deploy the devices.

I still remember the pain when a former employer retired the BlackBerry BES and migrated to iPhones. There were issues with the UEM and then not to mention password changes. With BlackBerry, you changed your login password on your PC and it syncs with BlackBerry. However once switching to iPhone, you had to remember to also update the password on the iPhone after updating it in your desktop. Sometimes if you weren't quick enough, the iPhone would lock you out as it would try to login with the old password too many times.

Likewise, the iPhone didn't have productivity features of the Hub. Assuming they release it with updated productivity integration with Microsoft Exchange, I would see that as an added sell.

Carrier partnership would make me willing to shell out a bit more as I bought my BlackBerry Classic On a 40 month interest free plan and I'd do the same again.

Anders

Posted via CB10
    08-26-20 12:53 AM
    can anyone remember the name of the functionality which was baked into Blackberry OS10 which showed up when the device was connected to Blackberry server and you could choose between private and company data? could this be a thing to go with Android and Enterprise?
    08-26-20 01:31 AM
426 1234 ...