If it's in that price range I sure hope it's a Priv 2, for its sake.
    I suspect if the OM project makes it past testing and is fortunate to be carrier supported, this is what can be expected. Check out specs and pricing as of today on both carrier websites. Compare to what each carrier is offering from their other big OEM relationships.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=RGxxOthy

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=80SgjdfA
    10-17-20 07:29 PM
    If OM can figure out how to make a phone that enterprises will pay for because they make good business sense rather than phones consumers want to pay for, that will be interesting and maybe worth a look. The current crop.of of consumer Android's and iPhones are fill of useless features I don't want to pay for, and are missing many features for which I would pay.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Yeah well, I wonder if folks who's livelihood DON'T depend on mobile technology might afford to be so dismissive of "only 10%" impact on daily productivity if that impact represented 10% less on THEIR paychecks... Lol.

Such cognitive associations might maybe depend on which side of the paycheck they're used to signing? Lol.

I'm excited to see a potential mobile supplier at least voice productivity as a favorable attribute! Lol. One thing about pricing, situations where phones might enjoy tax deductions as tools, might tolerate 30-50+% pricing premium, depending on tax bracket...?? Lol.
    10-17-20 08:31 PM
    I still don't see a single one of those figures at 100 %. Not to mention that switching phones every time I'm browsing the web and receive an e-mail or any other textual message takes so much more time than pushing the display portion of a slider up that the benefit in WPM will end up on the side of the slider. Or even that of a simple slab, for that matter.

What you're calling for isn't a normal truck, it's a Liebherr T 284, a vehicle with one purpose unusable for anything else and which has nothing to do whatsoever with any other car or truck, except for the fact it has 4 wheels, and that 99.99 % of the planet doesn't know exists nor would they have any kind of an idea what to do with it if you were to give them one for free.
    Attachment 449783

And you're asking for that in a world in which Dodge RAM and Ford F-150 don't exist. Sure, the thing is very impressive, as is your 120 WPM on a phone, but not every "professional" needs to haul 400 t of rock and not every "professional" needs to type >100 WPM for 7 hours a day on a phone. And neither those who haul cargo with their regular trucks are just "consumers" nor is a phone that can type only 60 or 80 WPM necessarily a mere "consumer" device. The world isn't that black-and-white.

I'll be very happy for you if you get the small >120 WPM phone with a tiny screen you're wishing for, but neither my professional nor my private life would benefit from such a device in the slightest. Just as people using pickup or highway trucks wouldn't benefit from an ultra-class mining truck despite its far superior payload capacity.
    Among BlackBerry fans:
    A) Some people want a mainstream Android with a PKB.
    B) Some people want a legacy-style form factor with a PKB focused on writing.
    C) Some people want a candy bar slab phone with BlackBerry special sauce security and software.
    D) Some people want a hybrid slider like the Priv

Among the other 2 billion Android users:
    A) Most want candy bar phone like the one they have now.
    B) An unknown number might try something else, but we don't know what, and we know it's not sufficient to entice any of the consumer electronics behemoths that spend tens of millions of dollars on market research to try a PKB device.

There is no one size fits all approach. Many of these categories are mutually exclusive. Some people think a Priv-style slider is the best of both worlds. Others (including me) think it's the worst of both.

For example, you couldn't get me to daily drive a slider if you paid me $100 a month, though I might buy either a legacy-style PKB or a candy bar or even both.

10-18-20 09:11 AM
    Some people think a Priv-style slider is the best of both worlds. Others (including me) think it's the worst of both.
    May I ask why this is so for you?
    10-18-20 10:02 AM
    May I ask why this is so for you?
    1) I'm equally comfortable using a PKB or a VKB, and sliding out a keyboard is a waste of time and effort, so I end up not using it.

2) A large 16:9 screen with a PKB at the bottom is unbalanced and awkward for me. That's why I didn't really enjoy using the PKB on the KEY phones.

3) extra weight, thickness and cost for no benefit.

4) inevitable compromises in keyboard size and quality

The whole premise of the Priv, that I should want a PKB with a 16:9 screen, is false for me. I want a small text area with a comfortable keyboard below it suitable for reading and writing text. On a candy bar phone, the balance between the VKB and the usable screen is good. The same is true for a legacy-style PKB BlackBerry.

But on a Priv-style slider, there is too much screen when using the PKB. It's wasted space that doesn't improve usability and unbalances the phone.

10-18-20 10:21 AM
    There is no one size fits all approach. Many of these categories are mutually exclusive. Some people think a Priv-style slider is the best of both worlds. Others (including me) think it's the worst of both.
    Well the manufacturers sure want us to believe that giant slabs are "one size fits all" since that's basically what they're forcing us to buy.

And a slider isn't the best of both worlds, it's the worse, but it's still both worlds.
    10-18-20 10:50 AM
    Well the manufacturers sure want us to believe that giant slabs are "one size fits all" since that's basically what they're forcing us to buy.
    Because that's what consumers have demanded.

Whenever there is a choice on the market, people select the bigger screens - pushing the smaller ones out.
    10-18-20 11:02 AM

And a slider isn't the best of both worlds, it's the worse, but it's still both worlds.
    I’m a PKB guy only because of BlackBerry yet it’s not really a big deal. I used the PRIV for about 12-14 months. For the last 6-8 months I used the VKB more than PKB and switched over to DTEK shortly thereafter.

I actually found the Z series acceptable before the PRIV although I preferred the Q series then. By time of DTEK, the VKB had improved so much the PKB wasn’t as needed. I bought the KEYone to support AT&T BlackBerry existence.

I definitely understand the PKB advantage especially when the VKB pops up for texting and email since I lose roughly same amount of screen. But when I’m done, I can’t get that screen back. The funny thing with PRIV is that I used the VKB almost exclusively the last 6-8 months. The recently acquired PRIV I got was PKB and slide first 2-3 days. Again, now it’s just a heavy VKB for me that sometimes has the slider move open unintentionally.

The longer we go without PKB, the less it becomes a relevant necessity. I want another PKB, however it’s becoming more about nostalgia. There’s no rewards (profits) for OEMs to risk the resources. One size fits all is profit maximizing for the ultimate OEM survivors.
    10-18-20 11:09 AM
    The whole premise of the Priv, that I should want a PKB with a 16:9 screen, is false for me. I want a small text area with a comfortable keyboard below it suitable for reading and writing text. On a candy bar phone, the balance between the VKB and the usable screen is good. The same is true for a legacy-style PKB BlackBerry.
    On a candy bar phone, like the Key series, I can't really comment since I haven't used one. However, bear in mind all the other things you can do having a Priv format that are definitely miles away from the key series layout. Like scrolling down on a webpage, or watching a video and having the full (and excellent) Priv's screen as opposed to the Chinese devices. After all, the PKB can be used for more things than just typing.
    the_boon and Winnertrack like this.
    10-18-20 11:22 AM
    Although I seem to remember that you actually said on another thread that a slider is indeed the best of both worlds, I will go along with what you are saying now; I'll simply say though it is not the worse, but an honest compromise. As an example, for Chuck it is mostly the Priv's VKB for typing, but other people (me included) enjoy typing on the PKB more. So, in other words, a win-win situation!
    the_boon likes this.
    10-18-20 11:27 AM
    Although I seem to remember that you actually said on another thread that a slider is indeed the best of both worlds, I will go along with what you are saying now; I'll simply say though it is not the worse, but an honest compromise. As an example, for Chuck it is mostly the Priv's VKB for typing, but other people (me included) enjoy typing on the PKB more. So, in other words, a win-win situation!
    But remember I’ll dual carry separate VKB and PKB than single carry a slider.
    10-18-20 11:53 AM
    Well, I can't really see the logic in that, I mean I have never done this and until previously I only carried my PP SE, but to each his own, I would think.
    10-18-20 11:58 AM
    Well, I can't really see the logic in that, I mean I have never done this and until previously I only carried my PP SE, but to each his own, I would think.
    My two DTEK in my pocket then or XR/V30 now, doesn’t feel different than solo PRIV did, not enough different in weight or thickness.
    10-18-20 12:04 PM
    My two DTEK in my pocket then or XR/V30 now, doesn’t feel different than solo PRIV did, not enough different in weight or thickness.
    Then again, you did buy one more Priv, actually the one I was after! In that case, would you sell it to me now?
    10-18-20 12:06 PM
    Then again, you did buy one more Priv, actually the one I was after! In that case, would you sell it to me now?
    I actually do use it as coffee table device, as my original AT&T model got pretty used back then. It’s taken place of Z3 and Q5 for now. Somebody else had another PRIV for sale but I don’t remember where I saw it. Which model do you need over there?
    10-18-20 12:31 PM
    I am enjoying hearing all the folks speculating on what the new 5G BlackBerry device pricing and options will be.

I am really hoping to see an FCC new product filing and a possible working prototype device on the near horizon more sooner or later.
    10-18-20 12:32 PM
    I actually do use it as coffee table device, as my original AT&T model got pretty used back then. It’s taken place of Z3 and Q5 for now. Somebody else had another PRIV for sale but I don’t remember where I saw it. Which model do you need over there?
    Any version works just fine here in Greece. So, as long as it's solid, meaning no creaks, I am happy. I would have it as a backup really....
    10-18-20 12:42 PM
    I am enjoying hearing all the folks speculating on what the new 5G BlackBerry device pricing and options will be.

I am really hoping to see an FCC new product filing and a possible working prototype device on the near horizon more sooner or later.
    If you are monitoring that I also can't wait to hear what's filed. One of my "smart guys" once worked at FCC... But he's far too busy keeping clients happy to bother with frequent checking... Lettuskno! Thanks!
    10-18-20 01:36 PM
    1) I'm equally comfortable using a PKB or a VKB, and sliding out a keyboard is a waste of time and effort, so I end up not using it.

2) A large 16:9 screen with a PKB at the bottom is unbalanced and awkward for me. That's why I didn't really enjoy using the PKB on the KEY phones.

3) extra weight, thickness and cost for no benefit.

4) inevitable compromises in keyboard size and quality

But on a Priv-style slider, there is too much screen when using the PKB. It's wasted space that doesn't improve usability and unbalances the phone.

Don't forget pkb shortcut availability.
    10-18-20 01:38 PM
    You do realize that your iPhone XR is 4g heavier than the Priv right?
    10-18-20 01:39 PM
    Dual carry maximizes total screenestate AND pocket fit (one each pocket) in ways single huge "hand"set can't really challenge. Imo.
    10-18-20 01:46 PM
    On a candy bar phone, like the Key series, I can't really comment since I haven't used one. However, bear in mind all the other things you can do having a Priv format that are definitely miles away from the key series layout. Like scrolling down on a webpage, or watching a video and having the full (and excellent) Priv's screen as opposed to the Chinese devices. After all, the PKB can be used for more things than just typing.
    The Priv with the keyboard extended is the worst balanced phone I've ever held. So much useless glass. LOL

10-18-20 03:31 PM

The manufacturers care about maximizing profit. That's their job. The unfortunate truth is that it's expensive to buy smaller displays than it is to buy larger ones. That's why smaller, professional quality monitors and TVs are also unavailable.

It's easier to design, engineer and manufacture larger components and devices., so, until the spec-race ends, we won't see any miniaturization. Also, the new interfaces are designed for larger screens and are harder to use on smaller ones. My smaller Z10 screen is much more usable than my iPhone screen for reading and typing.

10-18-20 03:42 PM
    You do realize that your iPhone XR is 4g heavier than the Priv right?
    Probably more since this PRIV doesn't have a case like my AT&T one does and my XR has a case. For both we're talking gel or plastic simple case.

Doesn't change my use pattern either way. As long as sold by AT&T supporting WFC and VoLTE, I'll get it. For me, I'd want a VKB now, followed by PKB and begrudgingly a slider if that's what happened. That's just me though. I don't expect a VKB based on history.
    10-18-20 04:40 PM
    They should partner with LG and create a PKB version of LG Wing. Or probably just another slab phones. With or without PKB.

In any case, regardless of other opinions, I think they have to prioritize marketshare over profit. We have seen this strategy with brands like XiaoMi, oppo and OnePlus. Otherwise it will be just like new KEY products. Some will love and use them for some years. Then the company will be shut down. Again.

As for price, those devices should be priced at max similar to iPhone mini or Google Pixel 5. Just for a chance to probably survive. Otherwise -imho- another DOA.
    10-19-20 08:02 AM
426 ... 1112131415 ...