Ok, guys if the admin allows, I would open a new thread here (although I've had one post before) means as the title says, the new BlackBerry 2021 smartphones (concepts only). As a BlackBerry fan, I have a bunch of ideas about so-called “new” BlackBerry phones that I would like to show. I have already published some, I am still working on some ideas. I plan to periodically update the thread here with some new concept BB smartphones. So if you are interested be free to comment.
    We have already seen this:

Now, what do you say to my idea for the new BlackBerry Passport 2 5G, I haven’t moved much from the original design, just some “more modern details,” what do you say?

*** New BlackBerry 2021 Smartphones! (concepts only) ***-bb-pass.614.png

Video:
    katxeus, kaalpani, grover5 and 3 others like this.
    08-23-21 08:19 PM
    I fear this and similar threads will be the only places in which one will be able to find anything even resembling a "new" Blackberry Smartphone, in 2021 or beyond. OM's tap dancing notwithstanding, it's clear to all but the most fanatical fanbois that the BB-style PKB phone is now as extinct as the dinosaurs. The consumer and enterprise worlds have spoken and, whether one believes it to be unfortunate or not, glass is and will continue to rule. To me, it seems the niche minority pining for a return to the BB PKB glory days already are relegated to scrounging eBay for parts to solder into their 2G and 3G phones. YMMV.
    John Albert likes this.
    08-24-21 06:38 AM
    I fear this and similar threads will be the only places in which one will be able to find anything even resembling a "new" Blackberry Smartphone, in 2021 or beyond. OM's tap dancing notwithstanding, it's clear to all but the most fanatical fanbois that the BB-style PKB phone is now as extinct as the dinosaurs. The consumer and enterprise worlds have spoken and, whether one believes it to be unfortunate or not, glass is and will continue to rule. To me, it seems the niche minority pining for a return to the BB PKB glory days already are relegated to scrounging eBay for parts to solder into their 2G and 3G phones. YMMV.
    ... interesting... soldering iron ready... that's what enthusiasts DO! Lol.

Any suggestions for "parts" ?
    08-24-21 07:17 AM
    @OP, I admire your enthusiasm. Visualizing custom concepts is what enthusiasts do.

I might caution against use of skin contact aluminum. Some folks around the world suspect Al to posses some unhealthy properties. I know just enough chemistry to know not to argue with them on it. Stainless and other materials like polycarb or glass-mat seem ok. Carbon fiber might be ok aesthetically but posses potential challenges to RF performance. Glass fiber mat proves RF friendly while much better thermal rejection properties than polycarb... which is why it served so well as battery cover on 9900... fwiw.
    DuckyDuckBB likes this.
    08-24-21 07:33 AM
    @OP, I admire your enthusiasm. Visualizing custom concepts is what enthusiasts do.

I might caution against use of skin contact aluminum. Some folks around the world suspect Al to posses some unhealthy properties. I know just enough chemistry to know not to argue with them on it. Stainless and other materials like polycarb or glass-mat seem ok. Carbon fiber might be ok aesthetically but posses potential challenges to RF performance. Glass fiber mat proves RF friendly while much better thermal rejection properties than polycarb... which is why it served so well as battery cover on 9900... fwiw.
    And some prefer their beer in a can rather then a bottle....

There is no doubt that Aluminum is a neurotoxin. And I'd avoid ingestion it, or the use of some products that contain it - antiperspirant, cosmetics, toothpaste, antacids, baby food.... And I avoid cooking pans that are aluminum, don't want filings coming off when you stir a pot.

But I'm not convince just holding a phone made out of Aluminum would be all that hazardous. But yeah Aluminum does block RF performance... why some use Aluminum foil to "paper" their walls.
    jobtate likes this.
    08-24-21 08:12 AM
    Perhaps, in some cases, people from Onward Mobility take a look at these concepts, if they look only at the most-watched concept BlackBery videos on Youtube, just from that, they can already conclude what people and the market wants, and that is certainly devices with a physical keyboard.
    The next thing I will show you, soon in a few days, will be my favourite device of the newer BlackBerry generation device and that was the BlackBerry Priv. I really loved that all-in-one concept.
    As a result, the BlackBerry Priv 2 5G idea is being developed.

Old BB Priv from 2015: *** New BlackBerry 2021 Smartphones! (concepts only) ***-orginal-old-looking-phone.jpg
    08-24-21 08:21 AM
    Perhaps, in some cases, people from Onward Mobility take a look at these concepts, if they look only at the most-watched concept BlackBery videos on Youtube, just from that, they can already conclude what people and the market wants, and that is certainly devices with a physical keyboard.
    The next thing I will show you, soon in a few days, will be my favourite device of the newer BlackBerry generation device and that was the BlackBerry Priv. I really loved that all-in-one concept.

Old BB Priv from 2015: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orginal old looking phone.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	451046
    Doesn't hurt a thing to muse... Perfectly healthy human thing...

I recall when Harley was chalked up as "done". Willie G took a look at some "crazy enthusiast" custom creations and managed to convince "know nothing" desk managers to attempt "SuperGlide"... A "small step" that ultimately evolved into a "giant leap" decades later...
    08-24-21 08:55 AM
    I have been in the world of smartphone concepts for a long time. And some concepts that were once imaginary are becoming a reality today. Many concepts from decades ago, stolen design, ideas, and nearly duplicated, shamelessly from large smartphone businesses and converted into reality today.
    08-24-21 09:50 AM

Old BB Priv from 2015:
    I think a SLIDER would be my personal choice of device... came real close to getting it, but Verizon didn't have it till months later and by that point it's issues were clear, and BlackBerry's likely hood of staying in hardware was coming to an end.

That said any low volume product is going to be costly to make, something we more moving parts just make the cost even more so. And the PRIV actually helped some to realize they didn't need the PKB. While those that truly loved the PKB found it to be less than an ideal PKB platform.

I'm pretty sure there is almost no viable market for a PKB phone in volume (100K plus) at this point... regardless of how many people might watch videos. I don't really think OM is on the fence on what device to make at this point from a form factor point of view - but more on figuring out what price point they need to hit and what can be included and what has to be cut. And how to continue the "program" once initial demand has been meet.
    08-24-21 10:03 AM
    I'd like a.Key 3 or a Passport style. A.marriage of bothnl would.ne perfection. However, if they did tonthe route of a Prive or a Slide.type, I'd take it as long as it's this year!
    08-26-21 06:54 PM
    Although I announced in a previous post that I would be releasing the BlackBerry Priv 2 concept, unfortunately, it is not over yet. Therefore I've come up with a fresh concept for today called BlackBerry Venice 5G ...
    So, what are your thoughts?

*** New BlackBerry 2021 Smartphones! (concepts only) ***-blackberry-v6.756.jpg

Video:
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    08-28-21 08:23 AM
    Here I am with the concept that the other day I promised, BlackBerry Priv 2 5G 2021, what do you think?

*** New BlackBerry 2021 Smartphones! (concepts only) ***-bb-prive.569.png

Video:
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    08-31-21 08:21 AM
    Here I am with the concept that the other day I promised, BlackBerry Priv 2 5G 2021, what do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb prive.569.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	451066

Video:
    What's exactly a concept about PRIV as it already exists? Other than 2 behind the original name of course...
    08-31-21 08:26 AM
    What's exactly a concept about PRIV as it already exists? Other than 2 behind the original name of course...
    Well it has 5G silly.
    Bugmapper and jobtate like this.
    08-31-21 08:41 AM
    Well it has 5G silly.
    Duh, you're right. I was focused on the images looking for the difference
    08-31-21 08:44 AM
    Duh, you're right. I was focused on the images looking for the difference
    Camera layout is kinda unique with the border design.
    08-31-21 09:20 AM
    how do you guys feel about carbon fiber and having the memory and sim card in the battery area like the Porsche designed classic. Also where do you prefer the charger location to be; top, bottom or side?
    09-02-21 06:17 PM
    how do you guys feel about carbon fiber and having the memory and sim card in the battery area like the Porsche designed classic. Also where do you prefer the charger location to be; top, bottom or side?
    Carbon fiber can conduct... making it a potential RF shield. Bold 9900 employed GLASS fiber battery cover that was too frequently referred to as "carbon fiber" . 9900's nfc antenna was fitted to inside of glass fiber battery cover. Might not have worked so well thru carbon fiber?

Also not sure how well wireless charging works thru carbon fiber??

I, personally, like cradles with charging function. Car cradles, desktop cradles, etc. Bottom USB proves nicely compatible with cradles. Assuming USB is the only charging option...? Bolds used metal charging contacts somewhere on bottom or back for cradle charging. Which freed USB from charging duties permitting its side USB config usable for dedicated data services. Likewise wireless charging.

Old fashioned metal charging contacts prove significantly more energy efficient than wireless charging. Btw.

Never tried top charging...
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    09-02-21 07:40 PM
    Glass fiber? You mean fiber glass woven to look like carbon fiber? That stuff was strong. I was wondering what those thing on the bottom of the bold were. Is that type of charging still popular?
    Top charging was an idea for data transfer while in pocket but that's probably a bad idea.
    what do you think about having a retractable camera lens for real zoom so the phone won't need 3 cameras on the back?
    09-02-21 09:10 PM
    Glass fiber? You mean fiber glass woven to look like carbon fiber? That stuff was strong. I was wondering what those thing on the bottom of the bold were. Is that type of charging still popular?
    Top charging was an idea for data transfer while in pocket but that's probably a bad idea.
    what do you think about having a retractable camera lens for real zoom so the phone won't need 3 cameras on the back?
    Yes, the 9900's back battery cover was fiber glass. Looked like "carbon fiber" but didn't chance RF shielding issues. Very strong, very thin. Much better heat conductivity than poly-carb. 9900's battery enjoyed that cooling pathway.

Classics complain of over heat pretty routinely. Especially while xi charging in car cradle. Even in air conditioned office. Bold's metal charging contacts simply don't generate heat, like inductive wireless does. An energy wasting concern when multiplied by billions of potential users, imo.

Of course, USB charging doesn't generate heat either. Bolds USB charge also. Just nice to minimize USB wear AND have an alternate option should USB fail. Btdt. Very few devices I'm aware of have employed metal charging contacts since Bold. Afaik?

Also very nice to simply snap a handset into cradle without requiring fumbling with USB cables... bottom USB seems most compatible with that. BUT, the single handed cradles I've used with K series proved mechanically rough on the handsets' ports. I've got two and know of others Ks suffering loose USB ports out of the abuse.

I'm sure some would be thrilled with physical zoom... if made reliable?
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-03-21 at 08:20 AM.
    09-03-21 08:08 AM
    Do you think metal contacts chargers went out of style and that's why more BBS don't have them.
    Also what is the true reason phones have 3 cameras on the back. Is it because they don't employ a telescopic lens?
    09-03-21 06:43 PM
    Do you think metal contacts chargers went out of style and that's why more BBS don't have them.
    Also what is the true reason phones have 3 cameras on the back. Is it because they don't employ a telescopic lens?
    Metal contacts never were standardized, afaik. Cradles were very model specific. 9650 cradle wouldn't accept a 9900, for example. made for a nice fit. Forced cradle purchases with model upgrade...

BB's BIS SAF revenue market model proved most resilient when users kept existing models and did NOT migrate from those. Too much of such migration just went to Apple/droid, once users decided to part with their existing comfort zone.

SAF model meant RIM could put more $ into the hardware in hopes of making $ off of BIS SAF. BB10 represented a newer, more "Apple like", market model where revenues must derive heavily on device margin. Pretty clear RIM trimmed pennies from Q & Z production costs. We lost charging contacts, convenience keys, ToolBelts, etc... ultimately losing swappable battery... all to penny pinching, imo.

I really cant speak to multiple cameras trend... I know that multiple lenses, like antennae at the VLA Radio Observatory, collect more electromagnetic energy under low light conditions so I'd suspect multiple cameras to make for better low light performance? idk. Haven't cared enough about it to bother researching. lol
    09-04-21 02:43 PM
    I when and researched the multi camera design and it looks like developers were trying to solve the issues with poor picture quality due to the size of the
    lens and digital zoom. It looks like they are going to end up approximating compound lens to increase photo quality. They technology has the possibility of outpacing traditional cameras. It's great that they have found a way to fix poor picture quality. But aren't we getting away from the purpose of a cell phone if we have phone camera that beat out profession photography equipment.
    09-04-21 07:43 PM
    Lol... 9900 probably warrants an award for bad camera. I still have a special 9900 with NO camera... for accommodating some client facility's camera policies... . No great loss in that case. Lol. Easy to appreciate a camera just capable of archiving legible documents. Lol.
    09-05-21 01:47 AM
    BlackBerry for a new age? No buttons on a phone!
    Meizu, a Chinese phone manufacturer, did something similar with its radical concept phone, the Zero, a few years ago.
    It's a phone that's devoid of all buttons, connectors, speaker grilles, and even a SIM card slot.
    Encouraged by such an idea, I created the BlackBerry Zero 5G concept, a smartphone with no buttons other than the charging port and headphone jack. 🙃

*** New BlackBerry 2021 Smartphones! (concepts only) ***-black-edge.625.jpg

Video:
    09-06-21 12:32 PM
119 123 ...