OM could broaden their market share with a full Linux model... any thoughts?

It could be served up with a Google runtime (like BlackBerry Passport) for those who need it...
    RCJ28 likes this.
    04-21-21 10:00 AM
    OM could broaden their market share with a full Linux model... any thoughts?

It could be served up with a Google runtime (like BlackBerry Passport) for those who need it...
    Who would need it in a mobile handset?

You can already run Termux and Python if need be.
    04-21-21 10:12 AM
    People who don't want an android?
    04-21-21 10:38 AM
    Why wouldn't they?

If you don't like the trackers, install a clean AOSP. Then install Termux.

I'm just not sure what functionality you are looking for that would necessitate the development of a whole new mobile OS.
    04-21-21 10:52 AM
    Do you know of anyone running something other than Android and it working really well on a mobile device? Even some of the "supported" devices have issue with components like Camera, NFC, WiFi. If that's what OM wanted to chase, they'd be wise to build something around an older device that already supported.

I do think an unlocked boot loader would be GREAT!

But OM putting the effort to help with the support of a Linux OS.... waste of their limited resources. If the community wants it, they can build it... if it's left unlocked.
    RCJ28 likes this.
    04-21-21 11:16 AM
    Underfunding is the primary cause of most small business failures.
    04-21-21 11:29 AM
    Do you know of anyone running something other than Android and it working really well on a mobile device? .
    iOS?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-21-21 03:41 PM
    iOS?
    That's limited to Apple devices exclusively. We're talking about a fully developed OS that you can put on non-Apple hardware.
    LaGrua00 likes this.
    04-21-21 03:44 PM
    That's limited to Apple devices exclusively. We're talking about a fully developed OS that you can put on non-Apple hardware.
    Pretty sure he was kidding....

There are a number of Linux and Android distributions out there... none that I'd call fully developed.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-21-21 04:01 PM
    The mobile Linux distributions don’t make sense to me. Android is so much better designed for this type of device than any of them.
    04-21-21 06:31 PM
    The mobile Linux distributions don’t make sense to me. Android is so much better designed for this type of device than any of them.
    I agree.... if Onward Mobility was just out to sell some hardware and wanted to chase after the hobbyist that don't want to run Google's Android. I think Lineages makes the most sense as it's better able to adapt to today's mobile hardware and mobile usage..
    LaGrua00 likes this.
    04-26-21 07:49 AM
    Do you know of anyone running something other than Android and it working really well on a mobile device?
    QNX?
    04-26-21 01:39 PM
    QNX?
    Are you referring to the underpinnings of BB10 that was based on a forked version of QNX?
    04-26-21 01:51 PM
    It works on my mobile devices, so it is an acceptable answer to the question.
    04-26-21 02:17 PM
    Threads about installing another OS on Onward Mobility's phone.... BB10 was propitiatory and locked to that pretty old hardware.

In the end Linux, LineageOS and QNX are much the same, in that non of them offer what 95% of mobile users want. Difference is Linux, LineageOS have a chance to grow and become more than they are.
    04-26-21 02:33 PM
    I am still believe the OM BB will come with BB11.
    04-26-21 03:06 PM
    LMAO - with statements like that, you lose credibility to say this..

04-26-21 03:27 PM
    Believe or dream.... can be confusing depending on the medicine you might be taking.

Better hope not.... be more like $9,000 a device rather than $900. But OM turning to someone other than BlackBerry for the software.
    04-26-21 03:27 PM
    Can you tell us why do you think that? Otherwise one might well believe you are only here to troll. It would be not unprecedented here.
    04-26-21 04:04 PM
    Can you tell us why do you think that? Otherwise one might well believe you are only here to troll. It would be not unprecedented here.
    Linux-psilocybin.jpg

Sorry - couldn't resist!
    pdr733 likes this.
    04-26-21 04:17 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psilocybin.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	450663

Sorry - couldn't resist!
    I believed it was simple weed.
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-26-21 04:19 PM
    You guys always telling it is hard to get siemens like hardening and the various accreditation / certification etc. And it takes ages to get them and that OM did not even started to get those.
    If they using QNX they get all of that.
    04-26-21 11:53 PM
    Also using QNX makes more sense than ever. HWs are much faster, many cores, faster everything and QNX got much-much better, now with own hypervisor supporting various linux flavours, including Android.
    04-27-21 12:05 AM
    You guys always telling it is hard to get siemens like hardening and the various accreditation / certification etc. And it takes ages to get them and that OM did not even started to get those.
    If they using QNX they get all of that.
    They would get nothing.

Whatever OS they actually build-out over the QNX foundation would have to go through certification from zero.
    04-27-21 02:19 AM
    Also using QNX makes more sense than ever. HWs are much faster, many cores, faster everything and QNX got much-much better, now with own hypervisor supporting various linux flavours, including Android.
    It makes no sense at all. There is no competitive advantage on mobile to using Android over (on top of) QNX. Nor would OM spend the 100s of millions developing and maintaining said OS.
    Last edited by conite; 04-27-21 at 09:02 AM.
    04-27-21 02:21 AM
63 123