https://nl.letsgodigital.org/smartph...artphone-2021/

Update : sorry for the false hope, it is actually only some graphical creations only for illustration purposes.
    Last edited by Trouveur; 04-14-21 at 09:54 AM.
    04-14-21 09:42 AM
    "Based on all the information available to date, graphic designer Jermaine Smit, aka Concept Creator , has designed a BlackBerry 5G smartphone with a physical keyboard in collaboration with LetsGoDigital."

This is an artist's rendition.

An no, it's highly unlikely to be called a KEY³.
    Trouveur and SalMan50 like this.
    04-14-21 09:44 AM
    "Based on all the information available to date, graphic designer Jermaine Smit, aka Concept Creator , has designed a BlackBerry 5G smartphone with a physical keyboard in collaboration with LetsGoDigital."

Oh OK, thank you, I will change the title to avoid misleading readers.
    04-14-21 09:51 AM

Yeah they'll use different branding I'm sure... heck OM might be wise to just call it "The BlackBerry".

Do think the removal of the Android tool bar and maybe a small notch will help it stand out as slightly different. It's the keyboard that might be the biggest difference... how close does OM get to the patented keyboard on the KEYs? Or does FIH design team swing over to something uniquely different? Or just not BlackBerry... maybe more Palm, Nokia, Moto, Samsung, Windows Mobile?
    04-14-21 10:11 AM
    Glad this isn't it. this would be very difficult to type on.
    04-14-21 10:34 AM
    Yeah they'll use different branding I'm sure... heck OM might be wise to just call it "The BlackBerry".

Do think the removal of the Android tool bar and maybe a small notch will help it stand out as slightly different. It's the keyboard that might be the biggest difference... how close does OM get to the patented keyboard on the KEYs? Or does FIH design team swing over to something uniquely different? Or just not BlackBerry... maybe more Palm, Nokia, Moto, Samsung, Windows Mobile?
    It would really help to find out what task this phone is specifically being designed for. Then we can make much better guesses.
    04-14-21 10:37 AM
    It would really help to find out what task this phone is specifically being designed for. Then we can make much better guesses.
    I really think it's just about the PKB... companies with a few key individuals that don't want to transition to slabs. Same ones forcing BBMo to keep updating the KEY2.

Both Google and Samsung.... only really supported Android devices in Enterprise, have custom hardware in them... Google's is the Titan M Security chip and Samsung's is the Secure Element Chip these allow for much higher levels of security certification. That's what makes their Android powered hardware used the most in government and regulated industries. But can a startup like OM that's working with FIH offer that? I doubt they could afford the testing and certification process... much less custom chipsets for volumes these low.

Security Software is what we talk about... but in the end that can run on any hardware package in most cases. I don't see OM coming up with a replacement for a good UEM with End-Point protection, that most governments and enterprise are already going to have covered.

Locked boot loader is a possibility for OM along with custom setup of Android using Google provide tools. But that won't compare to what Google and Samsung offer these types of customers. I also don't see OM being able to convince anyone of long term support to match what Google and Samsung offers.

In the end the only thing I see is someone looking to build a PKB phone to fill a tiny gap in the market. With out using a less secure Medtek Chipset or being a Chinese based company.

But that could be all the need if product is good and the pricing acceptable to enough... If it's $900 with no subscription and something along the lines of the Pixel 5... that's good in my book.
    04-14-21 11:28 AM
    This fake render would have made for the worst typing experience ever.

You don't stick a PKB below a 20:9 display and with no chin below it and expect to have even an acceptable typing experience.

This render is applying slab logic to PKB's, and it just doesn't work.
    04-14-21 06:40 PM

You don't stick a PKB below a 20:9 display and with no chin below it and expect to have even an acceptable typing experience.

Agreed - count me out if it has this ratio.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-14-21 06:58 PM

Lol.... What's new? Slab Phreeks seem to have influenced design of every PKB since 2012. Imo. Lol.

We shouldn't be surprised if Boeing's design for a motorcycle might include vertical stabilizer...? Lol. Might seem perfectly natural to Phlyte Phreeks. Lol. We shouldn't be surprised if visually oriented learning style types just never "get" kinesthetic (tactile) learners like us...? Lol. And WE represent only 5% of humans! Lol. They not only never "get" us but really don't give a 5% flying .... About "getting" outliers like us. Lol.

Would be nice to know what BoA has in mind? I know MY accountant does NOT perform tax critical data entry on touch screen. Physical 10 key pad ONLY for him. And ME! Lol. Might imagine some banking use case where vkb just isn't confidently precise enough? ?? Idk. Banking isn't my industry. Lol.

Did "work" in quite a few check processing departments in my Big Blue previous life. Late 70s. Nearly all generated "proof tapes" utilizing ancient NCR 100 key "proof machines"... SOME hand lever manual "ker-chung"!! Newer ones employed electric"ker-chung". Lol. A Charles Kettering ring gear "bendix" design (invented while he was at NCR) that he scaled up for inventing electric starting for 1912 Cadillac... Lol.

No clue what the Proof Machines did. At least some proof tapes were generated and initialed by two different clerks. Stapled together, I recall. 10 key adding machines were ubiquitous but EVERY check processing dept I serviced in that previous life (late 70s) had at least one... For SOME critical mission... ??
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-15-21 at 06:12 AM.
    04-15-21 05:35 AM
    Agreed - count me out if it has this ratio.
    BoA uses a lot of legal sized forms and wants a display that shows it all at once?

Yeah no way this design is real....
    04-15-21 07:22 AM
    BoA uses a lot of legal sized forms and wants a display that shows it all at once?

Yeah no way this design is real....
    Good point. 8.5x14 is 28:17 Idk that I've heard anything indicating form factor from OM. ? 28:17 makes as much sense as anything else, imo. Idk if Android permits 28:17 ??

If those form fields are to be filled by mobile, perhaps BoA might feel need of PKB precision? I can visualize where a single digit of error might prove problematic. Certainly is when sending CAD drawings to machinists! Lol.

That said, I can't imagine usefulness to view, read and fill the whole legal sized document on a whole screen. ? My old arms have grown way too short for viewing large docs on even cad station displays without employing zoom & pan. ??

The data entry fields must then also be selected. Single digits of pre-existing data might need editing?

We view & handle a LOT of E sized prints... Zoom & pan are a way of life. Even on PassPort or Dtek60. To this day, I get frustrated enough by Android zoom & pan & select to drive me to this tiny Bold for it's exquisite handling of zoom, pan, field selection, text selection, etc...

8.5x14 is way smaller than what I'm used to but if boa's use case involves editing legal or A5 on a handset, OM should really take a hard look at some of Bold's provisions for that... Imo.
    04-15-21 09:08 AM
    They could just copy the Key2 exactly with a new OS and updated internals and fix the space key and I would be happy. Or the Priv, but in that case make the keyboard more similar to the key2.
    the_boon and neoberry99 like this.
    04-15-21 12:29 PM
    They could just copy the Key2 exactly with a new OS and updated internals and fix the space key and I would be happy. Or the Priv, but in that case make the keyboard more similar to the key2.
    Problem is they can't... as it appears all they got was the name. Hardware designs are part of the patent sell off, OM going to have to make theirs, their own.

IFH has got to come up with something all new.... but only so much you can do. So it'll look a lot like the KEY devices, with a few changes to fit today's Android and hardware capabilities. No need to do a silly screen size like this...
    04-15-21 12:36 PM