This is what I find baffling about this entire venture: "Franklin also said the new device would fulfil the need in the market for a consumer-ready smartphone built from the ground up in terms of security.”

There is no consumer need here.

How many times is that approach going to be taken with consumers before its realized that its just not a major selling point? People already feel that their Android and iOS devices are secure and the majority of people aren't walking looking for a new phone based off of how secure it is. BlackBerry tried this with every single release since BB10, and it has always failed. It will fail again here too and OM should know better.
    There's no reason it shouldn't sell at least around the numbers that the KEY2 sold if OM pours their heart and soul into it, as well as FIH with a quality control that's better than what TCL provided.

In small niche markets like this, word gets out quickly if a device has a design flaw. The KEYone screen lift was one of them, and then with the KEY2, one major reviewer had ordered a black and a silver one and mentioned in their video how the spacebar felt more loose on one of them compared to the other.
    Another titled their video "BB KEY2 Review - Don't buy it yet!" and then in the video explained the Bluetooth issues. And then of course most complained about the camera quality, which was well below par for a device that price. Especially when it was worse than its predecessor.

So anyone that's partially curious about trying a BB device like this but wants consistent/solid QC is gonna need to see that OM/FIH is providing in that regard.
    That means, no build quality issues reported by any mainstream reviewer or by members on various forums.
    You know, like most slabs.
    10-09-20 08:10 AM
    There's no reason it shouldn't sell at least around the numbers that the KEY2 sold if OM pours their heart and soul into it, as well as FIH with a quality control that's better than what TCL provided.

In small niche markets like this, word gets out quickly if a device has a design flaw. The KEYone screen lift was one of them, and then with the KEY2, one major reviewer had ordered a black and a silver one and mentioned in their video how the spacebar felt more loose on one of them compared to the other.
    Another titled their video "BB KEY2 Review - Don't buy it yet!" and then in the video explained the Bluetooth issues. And then of course most complained about the camera quality, which was well below par for a device that price. Especially when it was worse than its predecessor.

So anyone that's partially curious about trying a BB device like this but wants consistent/solid QC is gonna need to see that OM/FIH is providing in that regard.
    That means, no build quality issues reported by any mainstream reviewer or by members on various forums.
    I wouldn't expect too much from an Enterprise focused device. Specwise, Enterprise is focused on price and just getting the job done.

In fact, many security concious Enterprise prospects, could want no camera for whatever reasons.

We've discussed Knox on CB Forums with it's blown fuse strategy of security. Will Knox be the strategy of security for Enterprise to have security consistency with the new BBOM hardware or will this be another BBAndroid software iteration that needs huge volumes to support the development infrastructure?

From a QC standpoint, having a third party manufacturer adds layer of expenses and FIH isn't a charity. In fact, they've been controversial for years although hopefully that's subsided by now.

At the end of the day, we have an Enterprise focused device that consumers will be allowed to purchase. This sounds like original TCL strategy when BB licensing was first announced.

I'm really not sure what's changed. Maybe this go around, carriers will have better incentives to sell a PKB to fans? Better hurry up as the old-time Boomers are dying off, GenXrs are losing interest with the VKB light years ahead of PKB in QC and functionality and the rest thinking BlackBerry isn't even Dad's phone anymore. As time marches on, it's Grandpa's phone.

That's all opinions, sure, but of billions. How many millions of differing opinions are being lost everyday? I need AT&T OM PKB yesterday but alas, the old BlackBerry joke, "soon" is about the actual hardware and software now.

Asking for more BBOM information about the "soon" and I'm being told "soon" too.
    How many actual new device purchasers that pay FULL retail and that are the silent majority have similar opinions?
    10-09-20 10:34 AM
    I wouldn't expect too much from an Enterprise focused device. Specwise, Enterprise is focused on price and just getting the job done.

In fact, many security concious Enterprise prospects, could want no camera for whatever reasons.

We've discussed Knox on CB Forums with it's blown fuse strategy of security. Will Knox be the strategy of security for Enterprise to have security consistency with the new BBOM hardware or will this be another BBAndroid software iteration that needs huge volumes to support the development infrastructure?

From a QC standpoint, having a third party manufacturer adds layer of expenses and FIH isn't a charity. In fact, they've been controversial for years although hopefully that's subsided by now.

At the end of the day, we have an Enterprise focused device that consumers will be allowed to purchase. This sounds like original TCL strategy when BB licensing was first announced.

I'm really not sure what's changed. Maybe this go around, carriers will have better incentives to sell a PKB to fans? Better hurry up as the old-time Boomers are dying off, GenXrs are losing interest with the VKB light years ahead of PKB in QC and functionality and the rest thinking BlackBerry isn't even Dad's phone anymore. As time marches on, it's Grandpa's phone.

That's all opinions, sure, but of billions. How many millions of differing opinions are being lost everyday? I need AT&T OM PKB yesterday but alas, the old BlackBerry joke, "soon" is about the actual hardware and software now.

Asking for more BBOM information about the "soon" and I'm being told "soon" too.
    How many actual new device purchasers that pay FULL retail and that are the silent majority have similar opinions?
    What is it with this stigma that only "older grandpas" and "dying boomers" are the ones who want a PKB device?
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    10-09-20 10:47 AM
    What is it with this stigma that only "older grandpas" and "dying boomers" are the ones who want a PKB device?
    Well boon, all I got on this specifically, opinions, lots of possibilities, but opinions and very little facts.

;-D
    10-09-20 11:55 AM
    Thanks Chuck for giving us the links for those two pieces. I'm not sure why this is the wrong spot for them. seems as good as any to me. but what do I know?
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    10-09-20 12:39 PM
    This is what I find baffling about this entire venture: "Franklin also said the new device would fulfil the need in the market for a consumer-ready smartphone built from the ground up in terms of security.”

There is no consumer need here.

How many times is that approach going to be taken with consumers before its realized that its just not a major selling point? People already feel that their Android and iOS devices are secure and the majority of people aren't walking looking for a new phone based off of how secure it is. BlackBerry tried this with every single release since BB10, and it has always failed. It will fail again here too and OM should know better.
    This is my exact sentiment. OM has to know that a marketing strategy around this being the "world's most secure phone" blah blah blah is destined to fail. That said, I HAVE to believe that they've an entirely different strategy and/or enough purchase orders in the works already to be able to worry about the marketing plan later.
    10-09-20 09:32 PM
    ...and that one is yours
    It's also a well-accepted fact of business life. If you want people to buy a product, you have to give them a reason. "Be first or be better." --or be different in some way that amounts to "first" or "better." Sure, some people will buy the OM device for the physical kb; but it's not crazy to argue that if people didn't queue up for the TCL Android devices, they're not likely to for OM.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    idssteve and JeepBB like this.
    10-10-20 11:00 AM
    I like that last paragraph "shoebox" reference in your first link, lol. Thanks for the links btw.
    And Stanton agrees: “In this industry there are still some people who would buy a shoebox if it was made by BlackBerry and are incredibly excited by this news, but they’re few and far between.”

Wow! Where can I get a BB shoe box? I need security for my shoes
    brookie229 likes this.
    10-10-20 11:00 AM

You way overblow the alleged QC issue - for which you have no real stats.

Almost every single KEYᵒⁿᵉ review said it was built like a tank. The lift issue was, for the most part, news enjoyed by us enthusiasts alone.

Techradar:

"Sophisticated high-end design"

PC World:

"It’s been designed and built to last and it looks and feels like those efforts have paid off – this is the brick to its shiny-glass window-like competitors.... It’s certainly the most robust phone we’ve tested since the Moto X Force."

Digital Trends:

"Brick-like build quality"

Trusted Reviews:

"Build quality is solid, though the textured back is a smudge magnet and the KEYone easily survived an accidental encounter with a rampaging toddler with a penchant to chew or throw everything."

Tom's Guide:

"Professionals drawn to the BlackBerry name, though, are unlikely to mind the KeyOne's extra heft; it's the result of a sturdy design featuring an anodized aluminum frame, and a textured back that makes the phone easier to grip."

Wired:

"BlackBerry's software makes work super efficient. Great security features. Nice build quality."

Engadget:

"I've really got to hand to TCL and BlackBerry on this one: They made a remarkably polished smartphone unlike any other on the market. The KEYone manages to feel professional and productive, and it's proof that you don't need to wedge metal between panes of curved glass to build something that feels premium."

JerryRig:

"I can fully recommend the KEYᵒⁿᵉ as a phone that will stand the test of time."
    Last edited by conite; 10-10-20 at 11:26 AM.
    10-10-20 11:11 AM

JerryRig:

"I can fully recommend the KEYᵒⁿᵉ as a phone that will stand the test of time."
    His first video on the K1, seen by 6 million viewers, showed the K1 as an absolute failure with the screen easily falling off.

His follow up video with a revised and properly glued K1 only has 500 thousand views.

The damage was severe.
    10-10-20 03:05 PM
    His first video on the K1, seen by 6 million viewers, showed the K1 as an absolute failure with the screen easily falling off.

His follow up video with a revised and properly glued K1 only has 500 thousand views.

The damage was severe.
    The Note 7 disproves your theory of impact on prospective sales.

The biggest impact on KEYones were lack of demand from prospective customers who didn’t give a rats arse for PKB hardware.

The PKB market has shrunk and continues to shrink
    pdr733 likes this.
    10-10-20 03:21 PM

The damage was severe.
    This is a non-sequitur.
    10-10-20 03:43 PM
    The Note 7 disproves your theory of impact on prospective sales.

The biggest impact on KEYones were lack of demand from prospective customers who didn’t give a rats arse for PKB hardware.

The PKB market has shrunk and continues to shrink
    As you seem to know that the PKB device market has shrunk and is shrinking ...please contact Onwardmobility and expose your Thesis.
    Last edited by Rico4you; 10-10-20 at 04:35 PM.
    Paulelmar18 and the_boon like this.
    10-10-20 04:08 PM
    As your you seem to know that the PKB device market has shrunk and is shrinking ...please contact Onwardmobility and expose your Thesis.
    They know. They aren't stupid. They have the same data (and more) that we do.
    10-10-20 04:23 PM
    They know. They aren't stupid. They have the same data (and more) that we do.
    And Onwardmobility is launching a PKB Flagship 5G device...so yes obviously they know way more than speculative opinions posted.. No doubt.
    10-10-20 04:36 PM
    And Onwardmobility is launching a PKB Flagship 5G device...so yes obviously they know way more than speculative opinions posted.. No doubt.
    The fact that the market is small is not necessarily a deal-breaker in and of itself.

There are ways to cater to a niche market where a high volume of sales are not likely. A couple of ideas have been presented here already.

You focus on the word "speculation". You do understand that OM does not possess perfect information either and have to "speculate" in a big way too, right? That's what business risk is.

A company puts the best people and data forward that it can, and then runs with it. This is what we do here when we try to analyse their business prospects/model. It's no different. It's the quality of the data that matters, and we have tons of good data.
    Last edited by conite; 10-10-20 at 04:57 PM.
    10-10-20 04:43 PM
    The fact that the market is small is not necessarily a deal-breaker in and of itself.

There are ways to cater to a niche market where a high volume of sales are not likely. A couple of ideas have been presented here already.

You focus on the word "speculation". You do understand that OM does not possess perfect information either and have to "speculate" in a big way too, right? That's what business risk is.

A company puts the best people and data forward that it can, and then runs with it. This is what we do here when we try to analyse their business prospects/model. It's no different. It's the quality of the data that matters, and we have tons of good data.
    The difference is Onwardmobility is a massive investment involving +3 Key players with a huge business plan and what is posted here is just speculative "free" personal rumour mill comments.
    10-10-20 06:00 PM
    The difference is Onwardmobility is a massive investment involving +3 Key players with a huge business plan and what is posted here is just speculative "free" personal rumour mill comments.
    OM is a startup who contracted with Foxconn to manufacture for them, and BlackBerry to license its brand to them.

What information do you have regarding "massive" , and "huge" ?
    10-10-20 06:01 PM
    OM is a startup who contracted with Foxconn to manufacture for them, and BlackBerry to license its brand to them.

What information do you have regarding "massive" , and "huge" ?
    So if launching a fresh from the ground up a totally new 5G BlackBerry PKB Flagship device does not require a massive investment and at the same time a huge business plan...then I guess anybody can do it. LOL!

This argument of yours has no seriousness whatsoever. Think what you want when you want. Damn you are so hungry information because you don't have all the information. Due time you will find out.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    10-10-20 06:10 PM
    So if launching a fresh from the ground up a totally new 5G BlackBerry PKB Flagship device does not require a massive investment and at the same time a huge business plan...then I guess anybody can do it. LOL!

This argument of yours has no seriousness whatsoever. Think what you want when you want. Damn you are so hungry information because you don't have all the information. Due time you will find out.
    What is a "huge" business plan as opposed to a normal business plan?

As far as the "massive" investment is concerned, do you even know if the financing is in place?

And how do either of these things affect the ability to analyse and interpret data?
    10-10-20 06:17 PM
    This is a non-sequitur.
    No it isn't.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    10-10-20 06:58 PM
    No it isn't.
    You have to prove both that there was damage, and that the delta in the two views led directly to said damage.

Otherwise yes, it is a non-sequitur by definition.
    10-10-20 07:00 PM
    You have to prove both that there was damage, and that the delta in the two views led directly to said damage.

Otherwise yes, it is a non-sequitur by definition.
    Anyone that doesn't carry the weird BlackBerry bias that you do, can see that that JerryRig video did damage.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-10-20 07:35 PM
    Anyone that doesn't carry the weird BlackBerry bias that you do, can see that that JerryRig video did damage.
    They sold a million+ KEYᵒⁿᵉ devices, and then about half that of the two KEY² devices. This seems to indicate a continuation of a trend - not to something associated with a JerryRig video.
    10-10-20 07:51 PM
    As you seem to know that the PKB device market has shrunk and is shrinking ...please contact Onwardmobility and expose your Thesis.
    They know and that’s why you don’t see consumers listed on their website as targeted demographic.
    10-10-20 08:04 PM
167 1234 ...