I have been a blackberry user since the Color Click wheel model (been so long I have forgotten the model number). I have owned several. I am a firm believer in the keyboard. I have ridden the wave of excitement as a new model or platform came out. I loved the BB10 upgrade from BBOS and showed it to everyone who would listen. I even switched to glass with the Z10 to get on the the BB10 wave early. I was happy to go back to the passport to get my keyboard back. I bought a priv and started to learn android. I have loved my Key 2 probably the best modern keyboard I have liked since my Bold 9000.

I have been waiting patiently (by my definition) for OM to come out. ATT is not going to support my Key 2 so I will have to switch to something. I seriously thought about switching to T-Mobile because they appear to not be as harsh as ATT for unlocked devices but I think even the handwriting is on the wall as they slowly tighten some of those liberal policies. Moreover, I have integration with some of ATT business services that I really don't want to walk away from.

So I have been "depressed" because I could see that I was going to have to finally give up on my blackberry addiction and switch to something else. Yes I have seen the recent 18 min video and I do believe it provides reasonably hope that the device will get released if everything currently happening comes to fruition. The problem for me...I have to run my business. My wife has to run her business (I still make the technology decisions). Waiting until later in the year or the last minute in January before 3g is shut off is just not a good place to be for a business.

So I decided I need to switch. After running years of unlocked phones so I could get software updates as soon as blackberry released them instead of waiting for ATT to maybe release the update, I am switching back to a locked version of the phone so I can get all of the advanced calling features. For me that means picking a Samsung as I want to stay on android and they are well represented on the ATT platform.

So I started to look at the models, I mean really look. I bought a 20FE from my daughter. She is very happy with the phone, she misses her keyboard but other than that she is happy and her little fingers work well on glass.

Then I started to look at the Zfold 2 about 4 months ago. The more I looked and watched Mr. Mobile's videos I actually got excited. A really new form factor and not just another slab (or key 2 keyboard for that matter) but a really new form factor. I showed it to my wife. We went to the ATT store and actually held it and played with it. She got really excited too (she was depressed about having to give up her keyboard too).

I can see new use cases of things I can't do now on my key 2 or even a traditional slab. I buy my phones outright so yes it is pricey but for business that is fine for me. I am having fun watching videos about the Z Fold 2 and the Samsung interface looking at the cool things they have done with design.

I am waiting for the Z Fold 3 which should be arriving in August and they have confirmed production has actually started so the device is coming.

Bottom line I can't remember the last time I was THIS excited about a new phone. Yes the Key 1 and Key 2 had me excited but that was just a "phew I can still have a keyboard" this is "Man this thing has some really cool stuff!"

I respect those who can wait or will wait and I say go for it. For me and my business I need to move on and keep things moving. It's just so much fun to be really excited again about new tech.

This post is not a backhanded slap at OM. My goal is to help people find a path to be positive if they choose to move on and finding something to get excited about instead of dreading moving on.

For those saying "but Jo, this is designed for enterprise you should wait" I am a small business just a few employees so I am not the main target customer. I expect when OM ships all their product will go to the enterprise customer that is willing to write a check for the PO. Yes consumer/prosumer's will get it after but they are going to take care of their main benefactor first, which is exactly what I would tell them to do if I was running their business.

I hope OM does succeed and I will continue to watch and you never know I might switch back but I would be looking for a key 2 on the outside and a foldable on the inside. Then I would get my keyboard AND a big screen to do the other things. Now that is a device would get me REALLY excited.
    Tjtb, Rishi P and HershL like this.
    07-09-21 06:02 AM
    Yeah if OM is a viable solution... it will be here in a few years.

Reality is smartphone are common place today... it is hard to get as excited about them as we once did. Glad you found something that peaked your interests. Z-Folds are slabs on steroids.
    07-09-21 08:13 AM
    Glad to hear that you've found a new source of excitement. I too have been a BlackBerry user since the RIM 957 and currently use a KEY2. Because of the apparent lack of progress/info from OM, I joined the Kickstarter for the Titan Pocket. I am eager to get my hands on it in September, as I really believe that as long as a physical keyboard phone is available, I'll continue to use one. I am also no longer able to brag about my KEY2's 3-day battery life, as it is over 2 years old and struggles to make it through the day.

Enjoy your Z Fold!
    07-09-21 10:32 AM
    Thanks folks! Yes there are negatives to the z-fold. lack of keyboard....limited to 256 gig internal storage (why on a flagship can I not have a memory storage slot????).....no built in notification light (big negative for me I will miss that little blinking light!)......worried a bit about battery life...and that o-so-delicate inner screen. I have never cracked a screen in all the years I have used cell phones. My daughter has (her key 2) which is why she didn't want me to spend the money on a z-fold and instead went for the 20 FE. In the past I have always kept my last phone as my "backup" but that won't be an option this time as my Key2 won't work on ATT after Feb. So looking at the Z-Fold you get a one time $125 repair of the inner screen if it breaks. That is cheaper than buying the monthly insurance. Luckily in the Bay Area there is a Samsung facility so if the screen does break I should be able to get same day service to fix it. Plus I can use the outer screen until I get the inner screen fixed. Worse case scenario I would buy an A52 to use while my z-fold was getting fixed (still cheaper than paying 2 or 3 years of extended warranty). Not saying the screen will crack but since these are business devices I need to have plan in case it does.
    07-09-21 07:17 PM
    I have been a blackberry user since the Color Click wheel model (been so long I have forgotten the model number). I have owned several. I am a firm believer in the keyboard. I have ridden the wave of excitement as a new model or platform came out. I loved the BB10 upgrade from BBOS and showed it to everyone who would listen. I even switched to glass with the Z10 to get on the the BB10 wave early. I was happy to go back to the passport to get my keyboard back. I bought a priv and started to learn android. I have loved my Key 2 probably the best modern keyboard I have liked since my Bold 9000.

I have been waiting patiently (by my definition) for OM to come out. ATT is not going to support my Key 2 so I will have to switch to something. I seriously thought about switching to T-Mobile because they appear to not be as harsh as ATT for unlocked devices but I think even the handwriting is on the wall as they slowly tighten some of those liberal policies. Moreover, I have integration with some of ATT business services that I really don't want to walk away from.

So I have been "depressed" because I could see that I was going to have to finally give up on my blackberry addiction and switch to something else. Yes I have seen the recent 18 min video and I do believe it provides reasonably hope that the device will get released if everything currently happening comes to fruition. The problem for me...I have to run my business. My wife has to run her business (I still make the technology decisions). Waiting until later in the year or the last minute in January before 3g is shut off is just not a good place to be for a business.

So I decided I need to switch. After running years of unlocked phones so I could get software updates as soon as blackberry released them instead of waiting for ATT to maybe release the update, I am switching back to a locked version of the phone so I can get all of the advanced calling features. For me that means picking a Samsung as I want to stay on android and they are well represented on the ATT platform.

So I started to look at the models, I mean really look. I bought a 20FE from my daughter. She is very happy with the phone, she misses her keyboard but other than that she is happy and her little fingers work well on glass.

Then I started to look at the Zfold 2 about 4 months ago. The more I looked and watched Mr. Mobile's videos I actually got excited. A really new form factor and not just another slab (or key 2 keyboard for that matter) but a really new form factor. I showed it to my wife. We went to the ATT store and actually held it and played with it. She got really excited too (she was depressed about having to give up her keyboard too).

I can see new use cases of things I can't do now on my key 2 or even a traditional slab. I buy my phones outright so yes it is pricey but for business that is fine for me. I am having fun watching videos about the Z Fold 2 and the Samsung interface looking at the cool things they have done with design.

I am waiting for the Z Fold 3 which should be arriving in August and they have confirmed production has actually started so the device is coming.

Bottom line I can't remember the last time I was THIS excited about a new phone. Yes the Key 1 and Key 2 had me excited but that was just a "phew I can still have a keyboard" this is "Man this thing has some really cool stuff!"

I respect those who can wait or will wait and I say go for it. For me and my business I need to move on and keep things moving. It's just so much fun to be really excited again about new tech.

This post is not a backhanded slap at OM. My goal is to help people find a path to be positive if they choose to move on and finding something to get excited about instead of dreading moving on.

For those saying "but Jo, this is designed for enterprise you should wait" I am a small business just a few employees so I am not the main target customer. I expect when OM ships all their product will go to the enterprise customer that is willing to write a check for the PO. Yes consumer/prosumer's will get it after but they are going to take care of their main benefactor first, which is exactly what I would tell them to do if I was running their business.

I hope OM does succeed and I will continue to watch and you never know I might switch back but I would be looking for a key 2 on the outside and a foldable on the inside. Then I would get my keyboard AND a big screen to do the other things. Now that is a device would get me REALLY excited.
    It's sad but you have to do what's best for you. I just keep hoping August is a year and it will.come out then.
    07-09-21 09:20 PM
    in the end we couldn't wait for anymore pkb phones so as a family we are pretty well all in on Pixels.
    Samsung makes great phones but as OP says, they are pricey. Some of them cost more than a laptop.
    07-09-21 10:48 PM
    I hear you. I ended up repairing the key2 it still works great. While waiting for a new battery, I had to get a phone since my priv could not keep up. Ended up with a Motorola. The decision was based largely on cost but also on battery life and expandability.

I can make that phone work. But i hate truly hate typing on glass.

I will look into titan. But that is still a bit away and I not sure it is any better than the key2. Indeed likely worse. Probably will not be supported by att

So.....
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    07-10-21 09:10 AM
    I thought Titan but I'd never trust their security.
    07-10-21 09:21 PM
    I hear you. I ended up repairing the key2 it still works great. While waiting for a new battery, I had to get a phone since my priv could not keep up. Ended up with a Motorola. The decision was based largely on cost but also on battery life and expandability.

I can make that phone work. But i hate truly hate typing on glass.

I will look into titan. But that is still a bit away and I not sure it is any better than the key2. Indeed likely worse. Probably will not be supported by att

So.....
    Ya this whole not letting unlocked phones on the network is killing me with ATT (yes I know that is an over-simplification of the truth but in essence that is what is happening in Feb 2022). However I have just decided to not let that get to me and concentrate on what I can....finding a phone I could get excited about.
    Tjtb likes this.
    07-11-21 02:25 AM
    Ya this whole not letting unlocked phones on the network is killing me with ATT
    What makes ATT so attractive despite its restrictions? AFAIK such kind of restrictions are completely unknown in Europe. I can use whatever phone I want with any provider I want.
    07-11-21 02:42 AM
    Also one more reason (for me) to jump to Samsung. Even though the current rumor is that the phone is for B of A and will be on ATT that DOES NOT mean ATT will let consumers use the phone on their network. I highly doubt that ATT will be offering the OM on their ATT wireless website to the general public. Either B of A will buy the phone directly from OM or they will buy it through ATT but their corporate side. I have seen multiple times in the past where on the ATT Corporate Wireless side you could get a phone supported (or even purchased) but to the general public through ATT consumer wireless the phone was not an option. My point being there is a good chance that the only way for us...the little people...to buy the OM phone will be in an unlocked configuration that ATT won't allow on their network. So if you want to stick with ATT (like I do for business reasons) there is (in my opinion) a high degree of probability ATT won't allow the phone on the network for general consumers.
    07-11-21 02:44 AM
    What makes ATT so attractive despite its restrictions? AFAIK such kind of restrictions are completely unknown in Europe. I can use whatever phone I want with any provider I want.
    Great question. I use unified messaging with my ATT Landlines for business. With Unified messaging you can integrate it into your cell phone unlike any other option currently. If I switched to T-Mobil or Verizon I would lose that advantage that saves me time.
    07-11-21 02:46 AM
    When thinking through this decision I even thought about what it would take to move to T-Mobile since they do allow unlocked devices. Currently ATT works everywhere I want to be (including my vacation spots). So the last thing I wanted to do was to switch and find out certain places I frequent didn't have good service so I looked at buying a Cellular Signal Meter that installers use when installing boosters etc for buildings that have bad coverage. These seem to range from $300 to about $1,000. This one looked really cool and easy to use: https://www.bvsystems.com/product/oc...allation-tool/ but between the integrated business calling services and getting heroic and buying this device I decided it wasn't worth my time if in the end OM only released one device and then didn't make it any farther.
    07-11-21 03:07 AM
    For me, AT&T offers a cheaper multi-line account with pooled data. I have a grandfathered 15 GB account that shares data across 8-10 lines as needed. While I pay for just 15 GB, it's a promotion where I originally got 30 GB for the 15 GB price and now I get 45 GB for the 15 GB price.
    07-11-21 09:08 AM
    For me, AT&T offers a cheaper multi-line account with pooled data. I have a grandfathered 15 GB account that shares data across 8-10 lines as needed. While I pay for just 15 GB, it's a promotion where I originally got 30 GB for the 15 GB price and now I get 45 GB for the 15 GB price.
    Ya I have a really good grandfathered plan too, I forgot about that. I get my unused data rolled over so I have like 90 gigs of data if we have a light month for the next month.
    07-11-21 02:17 PM
    When thinking through this decision I even thought about what it would take to move to T-Mobile since they do allow unlocked devices. Currently ATT works everywhere I want to be (including my vacation spots). So the last thing I wanted to do was to switch and find out certain places I frequent didn't have good service so I looked at buying a Cellular Signal Meter that installers use when installing boosters etc for buildings that have bad coverage. These seem to range from $300 to about $1,000. This one looked really cool and easy to use: https://www.bvsystems.com/product/oc...allation-tool/ but between the integrated business calling services and getting heroic and buying this device I decided it wasn't worth my time if in the end OM only released one device and then didn't make it any farther.
    I am just laughing with this article:

"The popular CrackBerry forums, meanwhile, have degenerated into a fever swamp of people desperately searching for scraps of information."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/we-were-p...so-where-is-it
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    07-11-21 02:44 PM
    I am just laughing with this article:

"The popular CrackBerry forums, meanwhile, have degenerated into a fever swamp of people desperately searching for scraps of information."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/we-were-p...so-where-is-it
    With that out, maybe someone at OM will wake up.

Or not.
    07-11-21 03:32 PM
    With that out, maybe someone at OM will wake up.

Or not.
    They don't seem to be very sensitive to any kind of tech journalism, neither positive nor negative
    07-11-21 03:42 PM
    They don't seem to be very sensitive to any kind of tech journalism, neither positive nor negative
    Or they just don't have anything definitive to say.... Till mock-up #2 is approved, they really can't have a time line or anything to really talk about. Especially in today's COVID market.
    07-12-21 07:09 AM
    Well I got my Z Fold 3 two days before the release. It's such a nice thing to pre-order a brand new phone and receive it 2 days before the promised launch date. To be treated well by a phone company again....it's been a while.

Bottom line I am having a lot of fun. I paid for blackberry's software but I also have paid for 9 Mail and I am using that for now since they are a company who are servicing their software and have corporate versions for MDM etc. I don't need the MDM, but my point is they have an on going revenue model that may keep them alive and servicing the software.

Things I am trying to replace from my Key 2.

1. The Keyboard. Yes I know it is glass BUT when I am trying to type something I usually open the inner display and get the split keyboard. I find my thumbs have a better time of being accurate on the larger screen with the split keyboard. Point being if your going to switch, going to a traditional slab (unless you rotate it and lose 50% of the screen or more) it is a smaller keyboard to type on than the Z Fold 3's inner display with the split keyboard.

2. My blinking light. Samsung has a front cover display that you can set to always on. It puts the screen in a dark mode and then dimms it greatly. So far battery (I will comment on that below) hasn't been a problem with the always on display and I can see notifications. I will be looking into further options but my point being I don't need to touch the phone I just have to look at it to see notifications all the time. It's no blinking light but it also isn't a case where I need to double tap the display, press the right button or turn it over which is what other slabs offer.

3. Blackberry Blend - Yes I know we haven't had this for a while and I use Outlook for my e-mail and Google Messages which has a web client so I can have sms and e-mail on my pc. Samsung has DEX (Desktop Experience) which allows you to put your android desktop wirelessly on your PC. I haven't played with it yet but I am thinking Blackberry Blend + (more than just e-mail and sms etc) Should be fun to play with.

4. Battery - On my key 2 when I first got it I could run almost 2 days on one charge. Then over the 3 years I have had it I am down to a day and needing to charge in the evening. I am not a heavy user, I am light and some days average when I spend more time on the phone. So far, many days I have ended up with 70% battery life when I was ready to hit the pillow. Even watching an hour of netflix barely ate 10% of my batter using the large inner display. I would say you should expect roughly the same battery life you were getting on your brand new key 2.

5. Call Quality. For years I have used unlocked blackberry's which meant 3g for voice over the AT&T network because they wouldn't let my HD VOICE, VOLTE capable phones use their advanced call features. The day after I activated my phone I called my daughter who upgraded her Key 2 to a Samsung 20FE. Hearing her voice over HD Voice was NIGHT AND DAY. I mean I can't express how much better the call quality was I would equate it to a 10 fold increase in clarity etc. My phone is a productivity tool first and yes I still make lots of calls. I am going to enjoy VOLTE and HD Voice it's worth it to get an AT&T locked device to get the huge change in call quality.

One thing I am finding the inner display is not a "traditional" aspect ratio (think my old blackberry passport) so some android apps needs some tweaking but Samsung gives you the tools in the labs section of the phone to fix things.

I am still working on customizing the phone the way I want and finding different solutions for my different use cases but just reading articles on the web on the large display is soooo nice.

Finally if you buy devices outright like me I would encourage you to buy the device through Samsung's website. You can still get a carrier locked phone (or unlocked if you want) but you will get at least $100 in credit which can be spent on the charger they didn't put in the box, or opt for a wireless charger or go for some wireless buds. The website does financing also but since I buy my phones outright I can't say if the financing is better or worse than the carrier website.

Bottom line both my wife and I are really happy we switched to the Z Fold 3. It has so many new things you can't do on a slab....it helps in giving up our Key 2's.
    09-05-21 09:56 PM
    Yep got this phone too. Should be getting it soon. Can't wait to try it, I haven't been this excited over a phone since the Passport.
    09-07-21 10:06 AM
    The advertisement is super cool for this new samsung device although the price here is an eye popping USD 2500!!
    09-09-21 02:44 AM
    09-09-21 02:03 PM
    He is finally buying what I and others have been selling about OM for 6 months.
    09-09-21 02:16 PM
    He is finally buying what I and others have been selling about OM for 6 months.
    He has put himself in the position of being THE GUY.... he is the only one that has seen this mock up or sketches of it and the only one OM has talked to in months.

But clearly he isn't buying it's going to be 2021 anymore either. If OM moves forward, we are looking at six months at least, so if you device is failing or you are worred about the BlackBerry shutdown or the ending of 3G in the USA. OM isn't going to have a solution for you. And I agree both Apple and Android are very usable...

I've always wondered why people need advice from strangers online about what phone to get.... would make more sense to ask family, friends and work mates. Then you could see said phone in action.

But if an Apple phone is appealing.... I'd wait a week, as prices will drop on existing ones, and there is no telling how good the "deals" will be at lauch of the lucky 13. But most carrier will be discounting other devices at the same time....
    phuoc likes this.
    09-09-21 02:38 PM
28 12