No one said anything about idolizing. They are just amorphous entities that have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders (us), subject to the laws in their various jurisdictions. Companies are neither good nor evil - they just operate according the mandate we (the shareholders) provide.

I'll take them over a central authority any day of the week.

You also didn't answer my question. Should we (as shareholders) instruct Foxconn to leave developing nations with the $billions of investments, and throw everyone there out of work?
    You really need to stop editing your comments that can materially change or affect initial intent. You have done that to me at least 3 times just this week.

To answer your question, sure why not? Apple already did that to the western world years ago!

"So, yes, money is part of why all of our gadgets are built in China. But what started a couple of decades ago as a reach for efficiency has now resulted in the entire electronics-manufacturing ecosystem being lifted up and transferred to China.

Apple doesn't build iPhones in the United States, in other words, because there is no longer an ecosystem here to support that manufacturing. There's no supply chain, there aren't enough super-low-cost workers, and there are not enough mid-level engineers. And many Americans looking for work are still hoping for a return to jobs, salaries, and lifestyles that have simply disappeared."
    04-02-22 03:15 PM
    You really need to stop editing your comments that can materially change or affect initial intent. You have done that to me at least 3 times just this week.

To answer your question, sure why not? Apple already did that to the western world years ago!

"So, yes, money is part of why all of our gadgets are built in China. But what started a couple of decades ago as a reach for efficiency has now resulted in the entire electronics-manufacturing ecosystem being lifted up and transferred to China.

Apple doesn't build iPhones in the United States, in other words, because there is no longer an ecosystem here to support that manufacturing. There's no supply chain, there aren't enough super-low-cost workers, and there are not enough mid-level engineers. And many Americans looking for work are still hoping for a return to jobs, salaries, and lifestyles that have simply disappeared."
    You never responded to me yet, so why can't I fill out my thoughts until then?

You can't blame Apple because WE priced ourselves out of the market.

If we feel we are too good for low-paying line jobs here, then we had better figure out fast what it is we want to do. Meanwhile, no one else is going to sit around and wait for us to decide.

In a global economy, we can't hide behind economic isolationist walls forever, thinking that the work people are willing to do somewhere for $1 is "really" worth $30. That just delays the inevitable - and is a recipe for an even bigger a$$-kicking down the road.
    Last edited by conite; 04-02-22 at 03:44 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-22 03:18 PM
    You never responded to me yet, so why can't I fill out my thoughts until then?

You can't blame Apple because WE priced ourselves out of the market.

If we feel we are too good for low-paying line jobs here, then we had better figure out fast what it is we want to do. Meanwhile, no one else is going to sit around and wait for us to decide.

In a global economy, we can't hide behind economic isolationist walls forever, thinking that the work people are willing to do somewhere for $1 is "really" worth $30. That just delays the inevitable - and is a recipe for an even bigger a$$-kicking down the road.
    Ok. I'll stick with my Chinese Nokia made by Foxconn in Vietnam.

Filling out a comment made in response to a comment made by me 2 hours earlier by editing your initial comment means that chances are I won't see it.

Here's an example... Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup in 54 years. Soon to be 55.
    Last edited by Yamahammer; 04-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
    04-02-22 05:17 PM
    Ok. I'll stick with my Chinese Nokia.

Filling out a comment made in response to a comment made by me 2 hours earlier by editing your initial comment means that chances are I won't see it.

Here's an example.... The Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup this year.
    I'll come back later in about a month and edit that out to read Maple Leafs will be golfing early again this year.
    It simply occurred to me that you hadn't answered my question, so I added it. Let's not get dramatic.
    04-02-22 05:18 PM
    Realistically? In between factory resets, as long as spare parts exist (batteries are the main thing), you can keep using it for a decade or possibly more.
    04-02-22 05:21 PM
    It simply occurred to me that you hadn't answered my question, so I added it. Let's not get dramatic.
    From your initial comment:

"Should we (as shareholders) instruct Foxconn to leave developing nations with the $billions of investments, and throw everyone there out of work?"

That is considered a rhetorical question that doesn't need an answer from me. Then it became in an edited version a direct question towards me. Next time respond to your own comment with an ** addendum.

It might not seem much to you but it does give one the ability to change history doesn't it?

No dramatics is right. :-)
    04-02-22 05:26 PM
    That is considered a rhetorical question that doesn't need an answer from me.
    Well, it was directed at you, and I did in fact hope for an answer.

Based on your previous posts, I in no way thought you'd think it rhetorical.
    04-02-22 05:30 PM
    Ok. I'll stick with my Chinese Nokia made by Foxconn in Vietnam.

Here's an example... Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup in 54 years. Soon to be 55.
    See what I did here, or is it there?
    04-02-22 05:32 PM
    See what I did here, or is it there?
    If I hadn't already responded and quoted the post, it wouldn't make a difference.
    04-02-22 05:34 PM
    Realistically? In between factory resets, as long as spare parts exist (batteries are the main thing), you can keep using it for a decade or possibly more.
    I still use my Playbook in some very restricted ways! So yes, I would throw out my Keyones nor the Key2 if I had one!
    04-02-22 05:36 PM
    I still use my Playbook in some very restricted ways! So yes, I would throw out my Keyones nor the Key2 if I had one!
    ** would not
    04-02-22 05:41 PM
    There is zero words spent on the subject of editing posts in the Rules and Guidelines, therefore there’s zero need for members to be instructing other members on how to post. If there is concern that an infringement of the R&G has in fact occurred, use the report button and the mod team will be along to check on it.
    pdr733 and john_v like this.
    04-03-22 01:52 AM
87 ... 234