Do that and I'm in. 3.7 inch screen oh, good keyboard hopefully with a smile staggered Arrangement which is economic. 5G and approval with several carriers in the United States and perhaps elsewhere, and get somebody else to do the work. No Blackberry bloat on it. Offer Blackberry hub or other individual items people may want. But overall a slim down physicality with a little bit taller screen and Wireless charge and no extra plastic. I think there would be a bunch of people interested. Just handed over to Foxconn, fire up maquiladora, bring it in on a truck across the border, stop at the alleged Factory in Texas and slap on the BlackBerry stick. Done deal, just like the old days. Watch out for the cheap glue.
    07-23-21 02:35 PM
    maybe a side the verbosity the guy is a little bit right.

07-23-21 02:37 PM
    Why would BlackBerry care?

Not like the Pocket is selling anywhere near enough devices for them to care. Beside, they aren't going to own these patents much longer anyway. Now new owner might be very interested in what Unihertz is doing...
    John Albert likes this.
    07-23-21 02:54 PM
    maybe a side the verbosity the guy is a little bit right.

Yep too bad Unihertz did not max out the screen real estate (as they could have) and or put the 48 mp camera they have in the Atom XL and slimmed this down offering down a just a bit. Looking forward to Adam's follow up review.
    07-23-21 03:14 PM
    Yep too bad Unihertz did not max out the screen real estate (as they could have) and or put the 48 mp camera they have in the Atom XL and slimmed this down offering down a just a bit. Looking forward to Adam's follow up review.
    None of that would ever matter. The reality is that all of that wouldn't generate the 50x necessary volume to achieve minimal efficiencies of scale.
    Laura Knotek and BergerKing like this.
    07-23-21 11:11 PM
    None of that would ever matter. The reality is that all of that wouldn't generate the 50x necessary volume to achieve minimal efficiencies of scale.
    Except that we have no idea how many Pockets Unihertz needs to sell to keep making PKB devices.

What we do know is that they're making the Pocket despite some here claiming to know that Unihertz are sitting on 1000's of unsold Titans.
    saint300 likes this.
    07-24-21 10:32 PM
    Except that we have no idea how many Pockets Unihertz needs to sell to keep making PKB devices.

What we do know is that they're making the Pocket despite some here claiming to know that Unihertz are sitting on 1000's of unsold Titans.
    My response was to specific topic of thread which is “licensing BlackBerry Classic” as we know Unihertz doesn’t achieve that kind of volume scale with any device with it’s current business model.
    07-25-21 06:18 AM
    I wonder how much is might cost for them to part ways with those patents.
    07-25-21 07:06 PM
    I wonder how much is might cost for them to part ways with those patents.
    Calculating the value of something that almost no one really wants, but that you don't want to forfeit is VERY difficult. It's why the negotiations for the majority of the hardware, networking and messaging patents that BlackBerry is liquidating, has been ongoing for almost eight months now. I suspect the finial overall price will be a shock to some why ones said they were worth billions.

Will have to see what the new owners are willing to do... But when a company like Unihertz, is only moving 5K units, it's tough to make it worth your time to licensee out a design.

But way back when... it was worth $860,000 to BlackBerry to protect these patents from TYPO.
    07-26-21 11:24 AM
    That optical trackpad was soooooo good. And android has built-in mouse support from ages ago. It would be such a perfect fit. I miss the accuracy of selecting text with the shift key and the optical trackpad.
    07-28-21 07:48 AM
    That optical trackpad was soooooo good. And android has built-in mouse support from ages ago. It would be such a perfect fit. I miss the accuracy of selecting text with the shift key and the optical trackpad.
    Think the BlackBerry tool bar with dedicated call answer and hang up buttons and a TrackPad/Finger Print scanner would have been great back in 2015.... as it also could have served for Android navigation.

At this point it would need to be moved to another position... don't think people in general want to give up screen space to a toolbar. But incorporate it in the spacebar or even a side mounted area.
    07-28-21 08:33 AM
    At this point it would need to be moved to another position... don't think people in general want to give up screen space to a toolbar. But incorporate it in the spacebar or even a side mounted area.
    Please, no more integrated anything in the spacebar! Besides, it would be sitting too low for a comfortable trackpad experience, as the thumb would have to force stretch down.
    Either sacrifice a bit of screen space for a toolbelt, or don't.
    07-28-21 11:43 AM
    My thoughts were always to add it to the capacitive keyboard through either a keyboard shortcut or a dedicated key.
    08-07-21 08:13 PM
    Miss that so much. The doubletap on the passport kb and scroll to select is something I miss so, so much.
    08-13-21 07:20 PM
    I'd have to guess that if someone wanted to buy licensing rights from BlackBerry for the classic or for anything else BlackBerry once did about BBOS, BB10 or BBAndroid, then BlackBerry would be game to sell, as long as the intended usage wouldn't potentially reflect bad on BlackBerry.

I'd have to guess that maybe no one has approached BlackBerry recently for any of that, other than whatever the OM agreement is about. In relation to the title of the thread, isn't it more about "someone should buy the rights for XYZ from BlackBerry", as opposed to "BlackBerry should sell the rights for ABC"?

Or, was the suggestion that BlackBerry should start to more openly list all of that as "for sale", and see what they can get from whomever expresses an interest? Maybe that would be considered too cheesy of a move for BlackBerry to do, and potentially reflect too negatively.

Maybe BlackBerry has already considered the marketing and other potential costs/impacts of putting things up for sale, in comparison to potential benefits (to BlackBerry), and maybe they assess it is better for them to just leave it all alone, unless someone comes to them.
    08-13-21 08:05 PM
    I'd have to guess that if someone wanted to buy licensing rights from BlackBerry for the classic or for anything else BlackBerry once did about BBOS, BB10 or BBAndroid, then BlackBerry would be game to sell, as long as the intended usage wouldn't potentially reflect bad on BlackBerry.

I'd have to guess that maybe no one has approached BlackBerry recently for any of that, other than whatever the OM agreement is about. In relation to the title of the thread, isn't it more about "someone should buy the rights for XYZ from BlackBerry", as opposed to "BlackBerry should sell the rights for ABC"?

Or, was the suggestion that BlackBerry should start to more openly list all of that as "for sale", and see what they can get from whomever expresses an interest? Maybe that would be considered too cheesy of a move for BlackBerry to do, and potentially reflect too negatively.

Maybe BlackBerry has already considered the marketing and other potential costs/impacts of putting things up for sale, in comparison to potential benefits (to BlackBerry), and maybe they assess it is better for them to just leave it all alone, unless someone comes to them.
    Pretty sure BlackBerry is selling the rights.... to at least some parts of what made a Classic, as Classic.

Patent buyer won't get BB10 or the name... but right to the design and any patents involved will be theirs.
    08-17-21 04:00 PM