Hi All,

I need to purchase a KEYone (BBB100-1) or a Priv (STV100-1) since my beloved Passport is about to be obsolete on AT&T (I am in the USA). I am technologically ignorant so don’t exactly know how to purchase a working ready-to-use phone and need help.

1) Locked/Unlocked: I assume I need to make sure the phone says it is “unlocked”? Some listings state “Factory Unlocked” versus “Unlocked”; is there a difference?

2) Some listings specifically state the phone will/will not work on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. How do I know if the phone WILL work on AT&T? Is this where GSM and CDMA comes in?

3) I see some people will buy a used phone and find out the phone is linked to the original owner’s gmail account and the new owner cannot use the phone. How do I make sure this will not happen to me?

4) The reason I want the above 2 phones is those are the only BB PKB that will work on AT&T. Do you know of any other PKB that will work on AT&T? I saw some posts about a Titan, but that will eventually not work. I can’t wait any longer for the possible upcoming 5g BB.

Thank You!
    08-03-21 10:50 AM
    While I don't live in the USA, I'm pretty sure you will be advised by the majority of USA residents here on CB Forums to move on and purchase a newer device - maybe Samsung, Pixel, or iPhone. Your service providers are gearing up for bandwidth changes that may or may not affect the performance of such an old device that you are considering. Time to move on.
    08-03-21 10:55 AM
    While I don't live in the USA, I'm pretty sure you will be advised by the majority of USA residents here on CB Forums to move on and purchase a newer device - maybe Samsung, Pixel, or iPhone. Your service providers are gearing up for bandwidth changes that may or may not affect the performance of such an old device that you are considering. Time to move on.
    Only the 3GB AT&T-sold spaceblack KEYone (PRD-63116-036 - one specific variant of the 30+ BBB100-1 models), and the AT&T-sold Priv variant (one of the several STV100-1 models) will work with AT&T next year.

Neither would be easy to find, neither are secure, and both are ancient.
    brookie229, Bugmapper and Trouveur like this.
    08-03-21 11:09 AM
    Hi All,

I need to purchase a KEYone (BBB100-1) or a Priv (STV100-1) since my beloved Passport is about to be obsolete on AT&T (I am in the USA). I am technologically ignorant so don’t exactly know how to purchase a working ready-to-use phone and need help.

1) Locked/Unlocked: I assume I need to make sure the phone says it is “unlocked”? Some listings state “Factory Unlocked” versus “Unlocked”; is there a difference?

2) Some listings specifically state the phone will/will not work on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. How do I know if the phone WILL work on AT&T? Is this where GSM and CDMA comes in?

3) I see some people will buy a used phone and find out the phone is linked to the original owner’s gmail account and the new owner cannot use the phone. How do I make sure this will not happen to me?

4) The reason I want the above 2 phones is those are the only BB PKB that will work on AT&T. Do you know of any other PKB that will work on AT&T? I saw some posts about a Titan, but that will eventually not work. I can’t wait any longer for the possible upcoming 5g BB.

Thank You!
    The only two phones guaranteed to function on AT&T are the carrier locked AT&T carrier sold and supported variants of the PRIV and KEYone and only the AT&T KEYone is remotely usable at this point. It’s the PRD model -036 variant.

It’s only a 3/32 variant and I found it necessary back then even, to eventually upgrade to a factory unlocked PRD model -039 with 4/64 specs variant. In 2021, I wouldn’t suggest any 3/32 model for daily use and I wouldn’t suggest the 4/64 due to limited usability. It sounds like AT&T will be knocking it off the VoLTE access, but even on TMO, it lacks band 66 which is now important since it seems TMO isn’t using band 4 as much and it’s availability seems to be declining in my area for instance.

Unfortunately, for use on AT&T, I was forced to move on to Pixel 3a and iPhone XR for my daily use devices. With all the 5G offers and deals available now, I’d suggest whatever, AT&T sold and supported device, fits your budget. I picked my devices couple of years ago when 5G wasn’t being offered with awesome deals. I like my two devices since each is the proprietary offering from the mobile OS developers and not just a licensee.
    brookie229 likes this.
    08-03-21 11:18 AM
    The only two phones guaranteed to function on AT&T are the carrier locked AT&T carrier sold and supported variants of the PRIV and KEYone and only the AT&T KEYone is remotely usable at this point. It’s the PRD model -036 variant.

It’s only a 3/32 variant and I found it necessary back then even, to eventually upgrade to a factory unlocked PRD model -039 with 4/64 specs variant. In 2021, I wouldn’t suggest any 3/32 model for daily use and I wouldn’t suggest the 4/64 due to limited usability. It sounds like AT&T will be knocking it off the VoLTE access, but even on TMO, it lacks band 66 which is now important since it seems TMO isn’t using band 4 as much and it’s availability seems to be declining in my area for instance.

Unfortunately, for use on AT&T, I was forced to move on to Pixel 3a and iPhone XR for my daily use devices. With all the 5G offers and deals available now, I’d suggest whatever, AT&T sold and supported device, fits your budget. I picked my devices couple of years ago when 5G wasn’t being offered with awesome deals. I like my two devices since each is the proprietary offering from the mobile OS developers and not just a licensee.
    All waaaaay above my tiny brain comprehension but thanks for giving me a headache. - and thanks for explaining it to the OP - hopefully the correct choice will be made.
    BluePumpkinBerry likes this.
    08-03-21 11:33 AM
    Hi All,

Thank You!
    1) You want a locked AT&T version of either phone... unlocked do not appear to be supported under the coming changes.

2) Usually the seller will list it's as an AT&T phone, not just compatible. Don't think either had a unique model number.

3) Buying new in the box or officially refurbished is best bet.. can ask the owner to make sure they have disabled the theft protection and removed the phone from their account.

4) Nope, that is it... unless till/if OM releases something.

But... neither is a phone I'd be planning to start using. Both run very old version of Android and neither has seen security patches in years. Time to really weight your need for a PKB... is it higher than your need for privacy and security?
    08-03-21 11:51 AM
    Hi All,

Thank You!
    All I know is I bought a Priv several months ago off of Amazon, 3rd party sell. I have AT&T. I couldnt get it to work. My son used his sins card, it made a phone call and we thought all was well. I then made a phone call and all was well. I tried to make a second and it wouldn't go. He tried his Sims gain and it was a no go. AT&T could have let it work because it did, but they locked up both his Sims and mine for having used it on a non supported phone. Ee got them unlocked and back working , luckily the seller refunded my money. It was sold as an unlocked AT&T. Why they wouldn't still support it I'm not sure. AT&T stinks regarding what they will allow. If you have TMobike you may have better luck. Personally I'm waiting for Onward Mobility to kick it into high gear. I'm not chancing another used one.
    08-03-21 06:33 PM
    It was sold as an unlocked AT&T. Why they wouldn't still support it I'm not sure. AT&T stinks regarding what they will allow. If you have TMobike you may have better luck.
    The reason is simple: AT&T doesn't want to have to deal with a bunch of upset customers who are angry that their network coverage is declining or that important features don't work. They also don't want ancient, insecure devices on their network to the extent that they can avoid it. The 5G rollout is a MAJOR, once-a-decade change, and it's a good opportunity for AT&T to block a lot of old phones, and save themselves a bunch of support costs, angry customers, and bad reviews in the process.

Consider that well under 1% of AT&T's existing customers are affected by their refusal to enable VoLTE on older phones, because the vast majority of AT&T's customers are using phones purchased from AT&T which are fully supported with VoLTE. Now, many older AT&T-sold phones are also being shut off too, but AT&T is offering upgrade deals and most of those customers are happy to upgrade, and their new phones will get them through another 4-5 years if they choose. Only a fraction of 1% of customers are on a niche phone that they'd prefer to keep (instead of upgrading), and frankly, AT&T is perfectly fine if those customers leave, because they tend to be difficult and expensive to support anyway.

Even though AT&T-sold K1s will support VoLTE and thus will still be able to stay on the network, they are missing several key LTE bands, and of course don't support 5G at all, and they are likely to experience reduced network coverage going forward as a result - meaning in some areas, phone calls or data simply won't work, as there will be no network coverage (because the network coverage in that area is on a different band that the K1 doesn't support). If you have a K1 on AT&T, your local coverage might not change at all, but it might seem to disappear completely, just depending on how the frequency bands in your area are reallocated. Modern 5G-capable AT&T phones will support all of AT&T's LTE and 5G bands, so they'll work just fine.

This is the nature of complex, network-connected technology: the tech changes very rapidly, and needs to in order to accommodate what is about to be a tidal wave of new devices on the network, from drones to self-driving cars and even things that don't (yet) exist. 5G isn't about making your phone faster, it's about being able to provide network coverage to hundreds of millions of additional new devices without crippling the network for everyone.
    08-04-21 07:33 PM
    Hi All,

Thank You!
    Microsoft Duo
    08-14-21 01:51 PM
    It might just be time to move away from at&t. I am probably going to drop them at the end of the year and switch to T-mobile.
    You might, might be able to run BBs on a carrier called US mobile. They are using 4G-2G towers from the 3 major carriers.

T-mobile is shutting off 3G but they still have some 2G towers up and I haven't come across a sunset date yet.
    If a phone can connect to 2G then you would still have service in 2022.
    I called US mobile and the situation was confusing; they don't really want to activate phones which are not volte
    compatible and check based on IMEI. It is also unclear if all of the 3G towers they use are going to be shut down. I think they fear activating old phones because they them self don't know what is going to happen.
    Last edited by IronMathbook; 08-16-21 at 12:00 AM. Reason: more info
    08-15-21 11:37 PM
    DUNT x3: Thank you for your specific answers! They make sense to me and I will probably just move on.....
    09-20-21 04:30 PM
    All I know is I bought a Priv several months ago off of Amazon, 3rd party sell. I have AT&T. I couldnt get it to work.
    Thank you for sharing your story; this is why I am leery of buying 3rd party!
    09-20-21 04:33 PM
    DUNT x3: Thank you for your specific answers! They make sense to me and I will probably just move on.....
    If AT&T coverage is really important to you, it’s best to pick devices from their branded selection and take advantage of their carrier deals.
    09-20-21 04:35 PM
    Microsoft Duo
    I actually narrowed my choices down to Duo and Z Fold 3. I figure if I can't have a pkb, might as well be a huge vkb. Do you have a Duo?
    09-20-21 04:36 PM
    It might just be time to move away from at&t.
    You might, might be able to run BBs on a carrier called US mobile. They are using 4G-2G towers from the 3 major carriers.
    I will look into this, thanks.
    09-20-21 04:37 PM
    If AT&T coverage is really important to you, it’s best to pick devices from their branded selection and take advantage of their carrier deals.
    I always had Verizon, but switched to AT&T when the PP came out. I don't have loyalty to any one brand. Thanks for the input, I will look into multiple options thru carriers.
    09-20-21 04:39 PM
    I actually narrowed my choices down to Duo and Z Fold 3. I figure if I can't have a pkb, might as well be a huge vkb. Do you have a Duo?
    I do and I'm really sold on it. Looking forward to Wed to see how microsoft updates things for the Duo 2.

When folded into a regular slab, it's fairly wide and I think that helps the typing experience be so much better.

Often times I'll put it into presentation mode and type horizontally. You can adjust the keyboard to fit your hands and it types a lot like the passport.

I saw that Microsoft designed a magnetic physical keyboard for the Duo's larger sibling the Neo (which was never released). If they brought a keyboard like that to the Duo- something you could just fold to the back of the device when not in use - it's game over.

Really great device you can buy on the cheap. They update it regularly and it is EXTREMELY productive if you're not trying to just YouTube and tiktok your way through life.

I cant imagine going back to a single screen device now.
    Jesda likes this.
    09-20-21 04:49 PM
    I do and I'm really sold on it. Looking forward to Wed to see how microsoft updates things for the Duo 2.
    So an updated one is now coming out - nice to know. I wish my local stores would carry them (Duo and Z Fold), so I could see in person. Can you please tell me on the Duo...is it always TWO screens or is it sometimes ONE big screen? That magnetic keyboard would be awesome!
    09-20-21 06:05 PM
    So an updated one is now coming out - nice to know. I wish my local stores would carry them (Duo and Z Fold), so I could see in person. Can you please tell me on the Duo...is it always TWO screens or is it sometimes ONE big screen? That magnetic keyboard would be awesome!
    You can span one app across both screens, which a function I use a lot more often than I thought I would, especially with excel spreadsheets.
    I also use it a lot for reading articles etc.

You can also fold one screen back entirely and use just one screen in typical slab mode. I keep it like this a lot, especially during busy times of day...if I'm emailing back and forth with someone or expecting calls. Will even pocket it like that sometimes.

One thing I like a lot about is, as a busy Father and someone with 2 jobs - one of which is military- is the ability to *close* the phone.

Sounds like a small feature but it's become a nice thing mentally. I close the phone and am just done with it for a while. Focus on the kids.

It's a killer device.
    A new PKB device would have knock my socks off at this point.
    09-20-21 06:23 PM
    Best Buy has them. I was the same way...had to put my paws on it before making the purchase.

You can feel the build quality, too. Check it out.
    09-20-21 06:25 PM