As of the last time I looked, they are not whitelisted, even though they are 4G LTE phones. I was told it has to do with the chipset or something; it's outdated and won't work on the 5G bands of AT&T. I hate going with an android in the first place; I do as much as I can to stay google-free, so buying a phone made by them, is proving to be a war of wills with my conscience and my wallet. I'm on S.S. disability until I start pulling from my IRAs, so buying an unlocked phone at full price is also a war of wills, but with this, it's price vs a desire to not buy a Google, Samsung, LG, or Motorola phone. I did like the Motorola One 5G, and the Motorola Edge, but Motorola is now owned by the Chinese, so that nixed them. As it did for the Oneplus phones.
    You do NOT want an unlocked phone with AT&T.... stick to their phones or the very least the ones listed on their approved list.

BB10 is a 1st generation LTE device that doesn't support the "planned" version of VoLTE that AT&T is moving to. Same for most any LTE phone (iOS or Android) in the 2012 - 2015 time frame.

I'd rule out LG as well, as they are leaving the business..... So with AT&T that leaves Samsung, Pixels and iPhones. Just a couple of coin flips...
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    06-28-21 09:14 AM
    4G LTE is irrelevant. AT&T needs to whitelist a device in order for it to use VoLTE, which is required for calls and SMS after the demise of 3G.
    I am only techie enough to diagnose and repair the electronics in automobile computer systems and the devices they control or that send information to those computers, (modules). I don't get into IT or other areas of electronics, so you'll have to pardon me if I don't know what the differences are between 4G LTE and VoLTE, and why 4G LTE is irrelevant. What is confusing is that the LTE in both 4G LTE and VoLTE stands for Long Term Evolution. I was told that it's the chipset that precludes working when 3G is dropped, not that it's a 4G LTE device.
    Again, I don't know what the differences are, and I don't have access to my wife's phone right now, so I don't know what the exact setting is. Her iPhone SE, the 5 SE version, has a function to enable LTE. Otherwise, either 4G or LTE is displayed in the bar across the top.
    06-28-21 09:29 AM
    You do NOT want an unlocked phone with AT&T.... stick to their phones or the very least the ones listed on their approved list.

BB10 is a 1st generation LTE device that doesn't support the "planned" version of VoLTE that AT&T is moving to. Same for most any LTE phone (iOS or Android) in the 2012 - 2015 time frame.

I'd rule out LG as well, as they are leaving the business..... So with AT&T that leaves Samsung, Pixels and iPhones. Just a couple of coin flips...
    Now see, that is the explanation that no one has ever given me; "BB10 is a 1st generation LTE device that doesn't support the "planned" version of VoLTE that AT&T is moving to." If I had known that before, there wouldn't have been as much confusion on my part.

I'm just wondering, nut why do you suggest not getting an unlocked hone on AT&T.
    06-28-21 09:33 AM
    Now see, that is the explanation that no one has ever given me; "BB10 is a 1st generation LTE device that doesn't support the "planned" version of VoLTE that AT&T is moving to." If I had known that before, there wouldn't have been as much confusion on my part.

I'm just wondering, nut why do you suggest not getting an unlocked hone on AT&T.
    You can get an unlocked... just have to make sure it's on the list. https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

But bottom line is the unlocked phones that will FULLY work, tend to be the same ones that AT&T is selling - IE the most popular phones overall in the USA. AT&T is taking a very strict stance on devices working with their network, several have had their accounts closed as they chose to active a non complant phone. Heck your switching from a Z30 to a Z10 might even trigger it.
    06-28-21 09:41 AM

Because AT&T only allows advanced phone features (of which VoLTE is one) to work on its own branded phones and a select few whitelisted BYOD devices.
    06-28-21 09:42 AM
    I am only techie enough to diagnose and repair the electronics in automobile computer systems and the devices they control or that send information to those computers, (modules). I don't get into IT or other areas of electronics, so you'll have to pardon me if I don't know what the differences are between 4G LTE and VoLTE, and why 4G LTE is irrelevant. What is confusing is that the LTE in both 4G LTE and VoLTE stands for Long Term Evolution. I was told that it's the chipset that precludes working when 3G is dropped, not that it's a 4G LTE device.
    Again, I don't know what the differences are, and I don't have access to my wife's phone right now, so I don't know what the exact setting is. Her iPhone SE, the 5 SE version, has a function to enable LTE. Otherwise, either 4G or LTE is displayed in the bar across the top.
    4G LTE is the network technology, and VoLTE is a protocol for transmitting voice and SMS over that network.
    06-28-21 09:43 AM
    As of the last time I looked, they are not whitelisted, even though they are 4G LTE phones. I was told it has to do with the chipset or something; it's outdated and won't work on the 5G bands of AT&T. I hate going with an android in the first place; I do as much as I can to stay google-free, so buying a phone made by them, is proving to be a war of wills with my conscience and my wallet. I'm on S.S. disability until I start pulling from my IRAs, so buying an unlocked phone at full price is also a war of wills, but with this, it's price vs a desire to not buy a Google, Samsung, LG, or Motorola phone. I did like the Motorola One 5G, and the Motorola Edge, but Motorola is now owned by the Chinese, so that nixed them. As it did for the Oneplus phones.
    Pixel is not only white-listed, but full sales and support which also means not just VoLTE but WiFi calling as well. I’m using a factory unlocked 3a currently on AT&T in the land of the Lightning if that matters….
    06-28-21 10:08 AM
    "Heck your switching from a Z30 to a Z10 might even trigger it."

The Z10 was initially sold by AT&T whereas the Z30 never was. For the most part, myZ30 worked flawlessly until websites stopped working, displaying a certificate error or something, then my emails couldn't be integrated. Those issues occurred years after I started using it though. When I switched back to the Z10, everything worked fine again. It is funny though, when you view my account, it displays a generic drawing of a phone where it used to display an actual Z10 when it was first being used.

I will keep all this in mind, but I really don't want a Samsung, nor a Pixel. An iPhone doesn't appeal to me either, but maybe I've just been spoiled by BlackBerrys simplicity and security, yet BB10 being an OS that just worked right, even with lower specs than many other phones had.
    06-28-21 10:29 AM
    Pixel is not only white-listed, but full sales and support which also means not just VoLTE but WiFi calling as well. I’m using a factory unlocked 3a currently on AT&T in the land of the Lightning if that matters….
    I'm sorry for the confusion, I was responding to conite saying that my Z10 and Z30 may not be whitelisted on AT&T.

PS: where is the land of the Lightning? I live in South Florida where there is A LOT of lightning throughout the year, but many places claim to be the lightning capitol. Although that distinction goes to some place in Africa. Since you used an upper case L, then may I presume you mean the Tampa Bay/St Petersburg area?
    06-28-21 10:40 AM
    I'm sorry for the confusion, I was responding to conite saying that my Z10 and Z30 may not be whitelisted on AT&T.

PS: where is the land of the Lightning? I live in South Florida where there is A LOT of lightning throughout the year, but many places claim to be the lightning capitol. Although that distinction goes to some place in Africa. Since you used an upper case L, then may I presume you mean the Tampa Bay/St Petersburg area?
    Yes, I’m a Tampa guy but I’m a Cane too.
    06-28-21 11:06 AM

The Z10 was initially sold by AT&T whereas the Z30 never was. For the most part, myZ30 worked flawlessly until websites stopped working, displaying a certificate error or something, then my emails couldn't be integrated. Those issues occurred years after I started using it though. When I switched back to the Z10, everything worked fine again. It is funny though, when you view my account, it displays a generic drawing of a phone where it used to display an actual Z10 when it was first being used.

I will keep all this in mind, but I really don't want a Samsung, nor a Pixel. An iPhone doesn't appeal to me either, but maybe I've just been spoiled by BlackBerrys simplicity and security, yet BB10 being an OS that just worked right, even with lower specs than many other phones had.
    Regardless of which Android you pick, it’s pretty much the same Android OS running different OEM devices. You’re down to really two major Android OEM players with at best support levels as you expected when BlackBerry Limited was an industry player with it’s proprietary OEM status, especially if you want a supported factory unlocked device.
    06-28-21 11:11 AM
    Yes, I’m a Tampa guy but I’m a Cane too.
    When my wife retires, we're going to be headed in that direction, probably a little more north and west though.
    06-28-21 11:18 AM

You are just use to what you are use too....

If you had jumped to Android or iOS back in 2013... you would be happy. It took months for me to really get the hang of BB10 once I left BBOS, it took months with the move from BB10 to Android and it took months aging when I switched from Android to iOS.

I only went to iOS because whole family was using it and there are benefits being on the same ecosystem.

Samsung gives you a sugar coated version of Android... where as Pixel is pure Android. Benefits to each, but in the end it's mostly all the same.

Pick one and give it four or five months.... sure there will be times you'll think I could do this on BB10. And in the end you can do it on Android or iOS, it just is done differently. I had lots of issue attaching files, till I figure out how it worked best to do it.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    06-28-21 11:23 AM
    Regardless of which Android you pick, it’s pretty much the same Android OS running different OEM devices. You’re down to really two major Android OEM players with at best support levels as you expected when BlackBerry Limited was an industry player with it’s proprietary OEM status, especially if you want a supported factory unlocked device.
    The reason I'm looking at unlocked devices is because of the limited brand choices from AT&T. They all have their own apps that they install, plus AT&T adds their own stuff, and most of it I don't need or will ever use. I wanted to look at unlocked phones, so I searched for "android phones with the least amount of bloatware". Motorola was at the top of the list, but when I found out that it is a Chinese company now, it was crossed off my list. So too was Oneplus, so that left Sony and Nokia phones, along with Google's Pixel. I have issues with both Google and Apple; my search engine is DuckDuckGo, so when someone tells me something like "just Google it" I say I don't Google anything, and except for my wife's phone, there isn't an Apple product in the house. This is a really tough decision for me, it's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. I know, it's extreme thinking, but I have my idiosyncrasies.
    06-28-21 11:32 AM
    You are just use to what you are use too....

If you had jumped to Android or iOS back in 2013... you would be happy. It took months for me to really get the hang of BB10 once I left BBOS, it took months with the move from BB10 to Android and it took months aging when I switched from Android to iOS.

I only went to iOS because whole family was using it and there are benefits being on the same ecosystem.

Samsung gives you a sugar coated version of Android... where as Pixel is pure Android. Benefits to each, but in the end it's mostly all the same.

Pick one and give it four or five months.... sure there will be times you'll think I could do this on BB10. And in the end you can do it on Android or iOS, it just is done differently. I had lots of issue attaching files, till I figure out how it worked best to do it.
    Very well put, I appreciate the information.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    06-28-21 11:35 AM
    The reason I'm looking at unlocked devices is because of the limited brand choices from AT&T. They all have their own apps that they install, plus AT&T adds their own stuff, and most of it I don't need or will ever use. I wanted to look at unlocked phones, so I searched for "android phones with the least amount of bloatware". Motorola was at the top of the list, but when I found out that it is a Chinese company now, it was crossed off my list. So too was Oneplus, so that left Sony and Nokia phones, along with Google's Pixel. I have issues with both Google and Apple; my search engine is DuckDuckGo, so when someone tells me something like "just Google it" I say I don't Google anything, and except for my wife's phone, there isn't an Apple product in the house. This is a really tough decision for me, it's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. I know, it's extreme thinking, but I have my idiosyncrasies.
    The limited brand choices with all the carriers reflect the consolidation of the industry. Going factory unlocked in USA is really about using the phone outside the USA occasionally with a different SIM card. In 2021, using a device not from the big four means using a device that may not get optimal carrier support and none of the carriers are going to be helpful. That’s why all the lists of factory unlocked supported devices are typically same brands as the carrier sold ones.
    06-28-21 12:02 PM
    Was hoping to see something by now, but...(darkness and crickets chirping)
    06-28-21 03:47 PM
    The limited brand choices with all the carriers reflect the consolidation of the industry. Going factory unlocked in USA is really about using the phone outside the USA occasionally with a different SIM card. In 2021, using a device not from the big four means using a device that may not get optimal carrier support and none of the carriers are going to be helpful. That’s why all the lists of factory unlocked supported devices are typically same brands as the carrier sold ones.
    One Plus, Nokia, Sony, Moto, and now Honor (although they might be AT&T exclusive) are the only real exceptions.

Sure, One Plus sold one carrier phone and Nokia and Moto have and do sell MVNO phones... .... But in general for full US compatibility that's pretty much it.
    06-28-21 03:59 PM
    One Plus, Nokia, Sony, Moto, and now Honor (although they might be AT&T exclusive) are the only real exceptions.

Sure, One Plus sold one carrier phone and Nokia and Moto have and do sell MVNO phones... .... But in general for full US compatibility that's pretty much it.
    One of the big three has a Sony option?

I don't think any US Carrier really likes how much power Samsung or Apple have, and they keep trying to slip another brand in there from time to time. At one time I taught Nokia might have a real chance, but their phones really don't do all that great in reviews.... camera issues mostly.

Expected OnePlus to take off, but their prices have crept up while Apple and Samsung have brought their own value products to the market.

Samsung has (on ATT)
    A12
    A32
    A52
    A72
    S21
    S21 ultra
    Note 20
    Note 20 ultra
    Z Flip
    Z Fold2

Along with some older device in the mix
    S10
    A71
    A51
    A11
    S20
    S20 ultra
    S20 FE

They have the spectrum covered from FREE to + $2,000, and in the end most all have GREAT reviews with proven track records.

TCL, Honor, Nokia.... they are just used to keep Samsung "honest".
    06-29-21 07:38 AM
    One of the big three has a Sony option?

I don't think any US Carrier really likes how much power Samsung or Apple have, and they keep trying to slip another brand in there from time to time. At one time I taught Nokia might have a real chance, but their phones really don't do all that great in reviews.... camera issues mostly.

Expected OnePlus to take off, but their prices have crept up while Apple and Samsung have brought their own value products to the market.

Samsung has (on ATT)
    A12
    A32
    A52
    A72
    S21
    S21 ultra
    Note 20
    Note 20 ultra
    Z Flip
    Z Fold2

Along with some older device in the mix
    S10
    A71
    A51
    A11
    S20
    S20 ultra
    S20 FE

They have the spectrum covered from FREE to + $2,000, and in the end most all have GREAT reviews with proven track records.

TCL, Honor, Nokia.... they are just used to keep Samsung "honest".
    Here’s the latest AT&T VoLTE supported Factory Unlocked device list.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=2SU88TaH

The link is buried inside a CB referral link but does take you straight to AT&T website list.
    shakingthrough likes this.
    06-29-21 08:32 AM
    Was hoping to see something by now, but...(darkness and crickets chirping)
    Onwardmobility is in witness protection at this point. Gone and not going to give us info on anything. This time next year their Twitter will have been absorbed by some bot trying to sell Ray Bans.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-29-21 08:35 PM
    Have been surfing the web for news on the new BlackBerry smartphone, but most of the news is old. I'm ready to shell out some money to get it.

In the meantime, my Nokia 5.3 is still going strong...hard to believe I got it for $199 unlocked with free shipping.
    07-02-21 10:57 AM
    it's my contention that everything we read here or elsewhere or hear or read on Onward Mobility media outlets included is speculation. The urge to use the word vapor is inevitable.
    anon(10387168), phuoc and JeepBB like this.
    07-04-21 03:36 PM
    it's my contention that everything we read here or elsewhere or hear or read on Onward Mobility media outlets included is speculation. The urge to use the word vapor is inevitable.
    "Out of sight, out of mind".... not really a good strategy for a small start-up.

Their website seems to be abandoned... no updates to already past deadlines on it. Clearly they haven't paid their web company for any updates to the site - still 2020 copyright date. Even the marketing company that was pushing out posts to their social media has ran out of funding, and isn't posting anymore.

It's clear OM is still there and they are working on something.... but my guess is they have scaled back on what they will be doing. Some of what they have already stated my no longer be true. And till they finalize what they are able to do, they just aren't bothering with any kind of communication with BlackBerry fans...

In the end there is still a chance they push out something, but I think it's even smaller now that it will something the average CrackBerry person will care about.
    07-07-21 07:31 AM
74 123