I sent a message to Peter Franklin via LinkedIn. He actually responded with the following:

Hi Igor,

Our team has been hard at work creating the new BlackBerry. We have been speaking to carriers, government agencies, enterprise and other customers. Although I can't say more than that please stay tuned for updates.

Regards,
    Peter

So judging by the fact that he actually responded the same day, its pretty promising that they are indeed working on it. I replied asking for a little something more, waiting to hear back. Will advise.
    robnhl, herbersh, wobus and 8 others like this.
    05-27-21 09:25 PM
    05-27-21 09:57 PM
    [IMG=480x480]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210528/5a429c0456396d1f97f7bf90858334ab.gif[/url]
    Haha! Lets hope its not that long!
    herbersh and HUD199 like this.
    05-27-21 10:52 PM
    I sent a message to Peter Franklin via LinkedIn. He actually responded with the following:

Hi Igor,

Our team has been hard at work creating the new BlackBerry. We have been speaking to carriers, government agencies, enterprise and other customers. Although I can't say more than that please stay tuned for updates.

Regards,
    Peter

So judging by the fact that he actually responded the same day, its pretty promising that they are indeed working on it. I replied asking for a little something more, waiting to hear back. Will advise.
    While encouraging, it’s also disappointing since that same message should be out there as post from Peter Franklin and OM to show prospective customers proof of life. Unfortunately, I understand consumers aren’t being targeted and we’re the end user only after the intended business clients have been taken care of.
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    05-28-21 05:45 AM
    So, in other words, no new news.
    05-28-21 09:22 AM
    So, in other words, no new news.
    Well, its something. We went from silence and unknown to speculation of cancellation.. Now we have somewhat of a confirmation that its still being worked on. As for me, i welcome this news.
    05-28-21 09:51 AM
    Well, its something. We went from silence and unknown to speculation of cancellation.. Now we have somewhat of a confirmation that its still being worked on. As for me, i welcome this news.
    Being worked on doesn't guarantee it will come to fruition but let's hope so.
    05-28-21 09:54 AM
    I do see a reply as a "sign" that they are still there and are planning to release something.... at some point.

My concern isn't will they do something, but do they have a business plan that results in a long term and ongoing business.
    bibbula likes this.
    05-28-21 10:36 AM
    Thank you for doing that and sharing. For better or worse, hope now lives inside my brain again.
    05-28-21 12:31 PM

Hi Igor,

Regards,
    Peter

I have to wonder about his statement. I guess he is talking about non US Government agencies that don't care about security certifications. I am pretty familiar with the requirements of the US Government. They won't have any real talks with you until you have the certifications. Obtaining the certifications is not fast or cheap.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-28-21 01:01 PM
    I have to wonder about his statement. I guess he is talking about non US Government agencies that don't care about security certifications. I am pretty familiar with the requirements of the US Government. They won't have any real talks with you until you have the certifications. Obtaining the certifications is not fast or cheap.
    Like Somin's government usage is mostly first responders.... important government works for sure, but not ones that utilize a lot of secure communications. I suspect Somin focal group is small counties or town that have to MDM at all, and thus appreciate the SonimWare toolbox... I think very specific niches will be looking at these.

But no I don't see DoD or other alphabet agencies touching Onward... a least not till the devices get tested and certified.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-28-21 01:26 PM
    While encouraging, it’s also disappointing since that same message should be out there as post from Peter Franklin and OM to show prospective customers proof of life. Unfortunately, I understand consumers aren’t being targeted and we’re the end user only after the intended business clients have been taken care of.
    Nice that he responded, but it remains truly hard to believe that Onward Mobility, which has a BlackBerry-branded device due to be released by the end of next month, still hasn't made a public comment about it.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-28-21 03:47 PM
    I serve clients who contractually forbid public description of products we build for them. At least partly in defense against prematurely alerting their competitors? Possible BoA doesn't want too much info too public too soon? ?
    ppeters914, HUD199 and elfabio80 like this.
    05-28-21 05:40 PM
    I serve clients who contractually forbid public description of products we build for them. At least partly in defense against prematurely alerting their competitors? Possible BoA doesn't want too much info too public too soon? ?
    "Too much info too public too soon??" OnwardMobility declared its intention, to the public, on August 19, 2020, to "debut" a "publicly available" BlackBerry-branded device in the "first half of 2021." With under 35 days left to such deadline, you think their silence is an effective business technique?
    ppeters914 and John Tomasson1 like this.
    05-28-21 06:33 PM
    "Too much info too public too soon??" OnwardMobility declared its intention, to the public, on August 19, 2020, to "debut" a "publicly available" BlackBerry-branded device in the "first half of 2021." With under 35 days left to such deadline, you think their silence is an effective business technique?
    Lol... Certainly miserable marketing for device sales. But then BoA isn't in the device sales business. If BoA is hoping to "one up" their competition, I can visualize scenarios where they might have complained to OM? Prompting dead silence from there?? BTDT, myself... Lol.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have any more clue than anyone else here wth they're up to. Connecting all available dots demands a lot of Excedrin, imo. Lol.
    joshualebowitz and ppeters914 like this.
    05-28-21 07:25 PM
    Lol... Certainly miserable marketing for device sales. But then BoA isn't in the device sales business. If BoA is hoping to "one up" their competition, I can visualize scenarios where they might have complained to OM? Prompting dead silence from there?? BTDT, myself... Lol.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have any more clue than anyone else here wth they're up to. Connecting all available dots demands a lot of Excedrin, imo. Lol.
    And you think 400 unit buy in is going to make a huge competitive advantage for BofA, that can't be duplicate? Onward is using a 3rd party keyboard design and a 3rd party software solution.

Onward isn't announcing anything.... because they don't have all their "ducks" in a row yet and things didn't pan out as they hoped. Hard to get a company going when everyone has other jobs and a pandemic going on.
    05-29-21 11:18 AM
    And you think 400 unit buy in is going to make a huge competitive advantage for BofA, that can't be duplicate? Onward is using a 3rd party keyboard design and a 3rd party software solution.

Onward isn't announcing anything.... because they don't have all their "ducks" in a row yet and things didn't pan out as they hoped. Hard to get a company going when everyone has other jobs and a pandemic going on.
    Lol... No, I DON'T "think"... I'm not authorized for "thinking" around here. That's ur job. Heehee... Just postulating an opinion of possibilities based on some of my experiences in completely unrelated industries. I assigned no statistical relevance to the probabilities. "Thinking" members can do that well enough. Lol. You already have.

Like I said earlier, knots tangled connecting OM's dots start looking like dots themselves... Lol.
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-29-21 11:57 AM

OnwardMobility did its initial press release in the middle of a pandemic. At the time of the announcement, the folks at BlackBerry Limited appeared to be excited about the agreement. Now, it seems as if BlackBerry Limited tries to distance itself from the entire project. A follow-up statement seems appropriate.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-29-21 12:45 PM
    Like I said earlier, knots tangled connecting OM's dots start looking like dots themselves... Lol.
    What does that even mean? Looking for "possibilities" in a plain vanilla informal statement by the part-time CEO of what seems to be almost a semi-crowdsource-like company seems to be a bit of a futile task, IMO.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-29-21 12:53 PM
    OnwardMobility did its initial press release in the middle of a pandemic. At the time of the announcement, the folks at BlackBerry Limited appeared to be excited about the agreement. Now, it seems as if BlackBerry Limited tries to distance itself from the entire project. A follow-up statement seems appropriate.
    In what way did BlackBerry seem excited? They never even issued a press release for the phone, nor did they ever mention it even a single time in the 3 quarterly financial reports since.
    05-29-21 01:24 PM
    In what way did BlackBerry seem excited? They never even issued a press release for the phone, nor did they ever mention it even a single time in the 3 quarterly financial reports since.
    You don't think the August 19, 2020 press release announcing the OnwardMobility agreement with BlackBerry, with the subtitle, "New BlackBerry 5G smartphone will be publicly available in the first half of 2021" was done with the participation of BlackBerry Limited?
    05-29-21 01:54 PM
    You don't think the August 19, 2020 press release announcing the OnwardMobility agreement with BlackBerry, with the subtitle, "New BlackBerry 5G smartphone will be publicly available in the first half of 2021" was done with the participation of BlackBerry Limited?
    No. That was from OM. If they are paying a fee for the use of the name, then why wouldn't they use it?
    05-29-21 02:03 PM
    No. That was from OM. If they are paying a fee for the use of the name, then why wouldn't they use it?
    While the press release came from OnwardMobility, I believe it was prepared together with BlackBerry.
    05-29-21 04:52 PM
    While the press release came from OnwardMobility, I believe it was prepared together with BlackBerry.
    What makes you think that?

They really have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
    05-29-21 05:44 PM
    What makes you think that?

They really have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
    I think the press release was prepared with and approved by the public relations team at BlackBerry. That's the only way such a release could have been issued.
    05-29-21 06:07 PM
943 123 ...