There are many threads here discussing the hardware and designs of any potentially new OM device. What is just as important is the software. I am no expert, but thought it may worthwhile starting a thread on the OS / software side of things.

1. Apparently it will be Android

2. We can therefore assume it will be Android 11? Can we expect an updated BB launcher that takes advantage of gestures. Lucid launcher has a swipe feature that would be ideal for the Hub.

3. Does Dtek have any relevance in Android 11?

4. What BB Apps are still being developed or maintained? Hub? Anything else?

5. What about the security it is claimed will be offered? Does blackberry Cylance have a role in this?

6. What about a separate firewall that permits a VPN to operate independently as suggested by Chetmanley?

7. Can that firewall then be used to control apps and the data they export?

8. How would this firewall manage Google services and play store apps?

9. Would Google agree to provide services to a phone if the default settings were to allow app access?

10. If ROM hardening has to be started from scratch how difficult is this compared with BB android 6*7*8 in the past?

Posted via CB10
    1. Yes it's Android.... based. They didn't commit to it being GPS enabled.

2. No idea really, they haven't said.

3. It's a neat notification system.... but no not nearly as relevant as it was with Android 6. My guess is it's history as a system app.

4. You can check to updates on the apps, some have gotten recent updates... some are over a year old.

5. We don't know what will make it invincible....

6. BlackBerry have a firewall application for Android? I don't see that being within budget.

7. See #6.

8 See #6 and #1

9. Requirements for the Google package are pretty clear....

10. Android is pretty secure at this point.... think BlackBerry could just tweak the setup options.

There is not secret info.... we had a press release and a podcast.
    shakingthrough likes this.
    09-08-20 04:01 PM
    Mods, can you please delete this thread. I had hoped to initiate some discussion on a certain topic but it has deteriorated into another plethora of negativity.

Posted via CB10
    I don't actually see any negative posts in this thread. In any event, the response was posted in post#2 - your answers don't exist yet.
    09-08-20 04:15 PM
    The questions posed are good questions we all would like to get answered and will in good time. There sadly arent to many answers yet though.

And yes the topic has gone a bit off topic so lets try to get some better speculative guesses out there and stop the back and forth bickering.

I see no reason to close the thread unless it gets out of hand.
    Last edited by howarmat; 09-08-20 at 07:11 PM.
    09-08-20 04:31 PM
    Mods, can you please delete this thread. I had hoped to initiate some discussion on a certain topic but it has deteriorated into another plethora of negativity.

Posted via CB10
    Negative Nancy's hijacked you're thread again huh? I feel you"re pain.

On topic! Android version does not rly matter to me, latest or the skimmed version.

A launcher with gestures would be nice. Picked up my passport the other day, kinda missed it.

Also i don't think i can live without a hub and integrated calender etc. Don't know if this software comes from Blackberry and still gets updates, or by a 3rd party.

Password keeper is nice too. Would like to see it back.
    Paulelmar18, bh7171 and elfabio80 like this.
    09-08-20 05:14 PM
    I don't actually see any negative posts in this thread. In any event, the response was posted in post#2 - your answers don't exist yet.
    Yes it was shortly after your response that the whole thread lost its way and the tone changed.

Whereas you see nothing negative, I see plenty, hence earlier post to the Mod.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    09-08-20 05:33 PM
    You do realize that software is something that as consumers again will have close to zero impact.

Beyond Android One that would benefit consumers and Enterprise client lockdown, what do you think we'll be allowed to subscribe to for $10/month extra?
    You do realise that consumers will have close to zero impact on topics such as hardware design, company structure, company decisions, formal business agreements, market share and carrier support - to name just a few.

All of those topics have been analysed here and interpreted with differing degrees of "understanding" by you and others. I see no difference with the discussion of software.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-20 05:39 PM
    1. Yes it's Android.... based. They didn't commit to it being GPS enabled.

2. No idea really, they haven't said.

3. It's a neat notification system.... but no not nearly as relevant as it was with Android 6. My guess is it's history as a system app.

4. You can check to updates on the apps, some have gotten recent updates... some are over a year old.

5. We don't know what will make it invincible....

6. BlackBerry have a firewall application for Android? I don't see that being within budget.

7. See #6.

8 See #6 and #1

9. Requirements for the Google package are pretty clear....

10. Android is pretty secure at this point.... think BlackBerry could just tweak the setup options.

There is not secret info.... we had a press release and a podcast.
    Thanks for the response. I also read the press release and listened to the podcast.

Posted via CB10
    Rico4you likes this.
    09-08-20 05:40 PM
    You do realise that consumers will have close to zero impact on topics such as hardware design, company structure, company decisions, formal business agreements, market share and carrier support - to name just a few.

All of those topics have been analysed here and interpreted with differing degrees of "understanding" by you and others. I see no difference with the discussion of software.

Posted via CB10
    I agree completely. My point is that same discussions are happening and being regarded as negative. There's just so little to discuss other than opinions and viability outside the features/benefits aspect.
    09-08-20 06:05 PM
    The questions posed are good questions we all would like to get answered and will in good time. There sadly arent to many answers yet though.

And yes the topic has gone a bit off topic so lets try to get some better speculative guesses out there and stop the back and forth bickering.

I see no reason to close the thread unless it gets out of hand.
    Yes good point on speculative guesses at this point that's ALL what we have right now...no facts just some guesses. Hopefully soon some more direct info like what we heard on the great podcast.
    Last edited by howarmat; 09-08-20 at 07:11 PM.
    09-08-20 06:40 PM
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard

If they wanted to implement a firewall, they could include NetGuard or even fork it. It runs a local VPN and wouldn't cost much to develop at all.
    09-08-20 08:36 PM
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard

If they wanted to implement a firewall, they could include NetGuard or even fork it. It runs a local VPN and wouldn't cost much to develop at all.
    Can it be implemented and allow a VPN to run at the same time? My understanding is that there is only one VPN "portal" in Android ROMS

Posted via CB10
    09-08-20 08:47 PM
    Can it be implemented and allow a VPN to run at the same time? My understanding is that there is only one VPN "portal" in Android ROMS

Posted via CB10
    You'd have to disconnect from the firewall "VPN" to connect to your own. Building a firewall at the system level would require much more work.
    Gene Fells likes this.
    09-10-20 06:51 PM
    First, nothing we say here will either help or hinder Onward's prospects.

Second, what you do with your TCL phone is immaterial.

Third, solely on the topic of corporate-speak, did you also enjoy Francois Mahieu from TCL when he said they were still in it for the long haul, when they clearly had already decided to pack it in? And when he sold you a red KEY² that had only one year of support left with no OS update to come?
    "No worries. They're in it for the Long Haul."

-- Conite, December 4, 2018

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...ewell-1160313/
    09-11-20 04:11 AM
    "No worries. They're in it for the Long Haul."
    That's what TCL kept saying - which proves my point.
    09-11-20 06:51 AM
    That's what worries me most about Onward.... how do they promise another "long haul" and anyone really trust them?

BlackBerry promised... and pulled out.
    TCL promised.... and pulled out.

Feature phone with a much smaller attack surface... that doesn't depend on monthly updates? That's really the only way I see Onward offering invincibility for "the long haul".
    09-11-20 07:20 AM
    That's what worries me most about Onward.... how do they promise another "long haul" and anyone really trust them?

BlackBerry promised... and pulled out.
    TCL promised.... and pulled out.

Feature phone with a much smaller attack surface... that doesn't depend on monthly updates? That's really the only way I see Onward offering invincibility for "the long haul".
    I think there is a sex joke here somewhere but I don't want to be censured.
    09-11-20 10:42 PM
    "Let's remember that this is an enterprise-first device, and is apparently designed specifically for some special application requested by Bank of America. So it's really that application that will define it all." ....Listen to CEO OnwardMobility Peter Franklin on latest CrackBerry PODCAST to get the REAL facts so far.
    I am still puzzled by all of this talk about BoA. I must have missed something. Is there anything about BoA and BlackBerry phones beyond a panel discussion between Chen and the BoA CEO last October?

BoA started in January of this year to wind down BYOD in key areas of the company and first started to distribute corporate phones to their ML employees that have sensitive conversations with customers. They are assinging Samsung S10es and iPhones. They are also starting to wind down the use of BlackBerry Good security mobile client as they end BYOD for security areas.

I have a hard time believing the BoA CEO is actually getting down into the weeds micromanaging what phones the IT security group will be choosing for the company. If this is the case anyone who has BoA stock should sell ASAP. A CEO that is worrying about items like this and not letting the experts they hire do their jobs in no way has time to run a large financial institution.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    09-12-20 02:44 AM
    I am still puzzled by all of this talk about BoA. I must have missed something. Is there anything about BoA and BlackBerry phones beyond a panel discussion between Chen and the BoA CEO last October?

BoA started in January of this year to wind down BYOD in key areas of the company and first started to distribute corporate phones to their ML employees that have sensitive conversations with customers. They are assinging Samsung S10es and iPhones. They are also starting to wind down the use of BlackBerry Good security mobile client as they end BYOD for security areas.

I have a hard time believing the BoA CEO is actually getting down into the weeds micromanaging what phones the IT security group will be choosing for the company. If this is the case anyone who has BoA stock should sell ASAP. A CEO that is worrying about items like this and not letting the experts they hire do their jobs in no way has time to run a large financial institution.
    I've been alerted to change my BOA account password, etc, due to security breaches at BOA earlier this year. Nothing too strange "these days", unfortunately, but do we know if perhaps BOA CEO is responding to requests from their IT group?
    09-12-20 05:22 AM

Ending BYOD is more about limiting the liability of BOA when those ML employees use BYOD hardware and have contact with clients outside proper channels and expose clients data through compromised hardware. At least from my perspective it seems like that.
    09-12-20 06:05 AM
    And you bought it hook, line, and sinker, and parroted it to people on the forums.
    09-12-20 06:14 AM
    And you bought it hook, line, and sinker, and parroted it to people on the forums.
    If you want a PKB, exactly what other different options did we have? All we can do is speculate on their public statements? What do you suggest for the alternative now?
    09-12-20 06:36 AM
    I wouldn't venture to out guess what BOA is specifically intending to mitigate but do know that there were topics my "old" firm simply never mentioned electronically with, or about, certain clients. Clients who viewed protecting their ip, etc, as existentially critical. Even personally existential. Alien as that concept likely seems to typical "western" consumers. Unbelievably bad actors DO play. Both corporate and government. Industrial espionage IS a thing! Existential implications, for some.

NO current technology is deemed adequate by these clients. NOthing associated with Google, Apple or Samsung is even open for discussion. Even discussions about discussions take place face to face in a "quiet room" buried among old square wave freq drives at full production. Lol. ALL mobile electronics have been sequestered in a locked "faraday cage" safe, far away. Simply removing the battery is no longer considered adequate, I now hear.

How does "face to face" work post covid? Or even flying? Where might ANYone find "warm phuzzie" communicating electronically? I can guarantee that simply transmitting a CAD file is FAR easier than hand carried paper prints! Lol. Our IT, collaborating with my dept's "smart guys", has deployed "hardware vpn" routers, there-to-here, to ease with SOME data. I've left that up to them. BUT, these particular clients inevitably ask ME what I think is "safe"... Lol. An engineer will NEVER declare ANYthing as "safe"! Only "safer"... Lol.

I might possibly empathise with a CEO who might be dealing with clients, client IT, and in house IT all feeling as if contemporary "best practices" and "state of the art" technology is still not adequate... What should a good CEO do when confronted with such inadequacies? Reaching out to "outside others" who might assist seems a pretty legitimate role? Under certain circumstances?? Idk. We'll likely learn how legit BOA's CEO's role is in all of this SOMEday. Lol.
    09-12-20 07:23 AM
    Is it possible that things like "auto correct" and "word prediction" might some way open some vulnerability somehow? Idk. Justa "senior moment" thought... Lol.

I do know that I, professionally, have long employed many one off nomenclature, acronyms, etc where a single misplaced character can have BIG consequences... Hundreds some days. Far too many to consider permitting "auto-anything" as a typing assist. ONE motive for favoring PKB as I do. I have assembled internal data and quantified the relevance, for my organization. A surprisingly rare pursuit, it seems. Imo.

Is it possible BOA feels similar need? Possibly bubbling from their trenches up? Perhaps someone in their organization has maybe assembled internal data and quantified the relevance? ?? Couldn't that be a rational expectation of rational behaviour? ?
    09-12-20 09:12 AM
    As some here seem to be now doing regarding Onward's hook. That's Conite's point.

After years of getting burned, you start to get sceptical. Best to wait and see what they do. Not rely on what they say.

Good advice for a lot of things these days.
    09-12-20 09:27 AM
    Lol... Dear old Gramps was fond of pointing out: "You are what you do...". . And: "Hands and feet and sweat speak LOUDER than tongue!" Gramps grew up in the "Show Me" State... Lol.

Establishing credibility will likely prove the Everest for OM to surmount. Reputation resurrection is no easy bushwack. Takes time, at least. AND honesty! And follow thru on stated aspirations!

I think it's important to remember, tho, that "leaders" frequently define mission aspirations that haven't, yet, been accomplished. Sometimes ever. If you aim high enough, you'll likely fail to achieve at least some of those aspirations. If you're achieving ALL aspirations, you're not aiming high enough. Imo.

Failure to achieve stated aspirations is not, necessarily, dishonesty. Knowingly stating aspirations you have no intentions of even pursuing is most definitely unscrupulous. Understanding the difference is the "trick".
    09-12-20 10:35 AM
165 1234 ...