- I'm in Australia.
    - I bought an unlocked T-Mobile 7230 from the US on ebay.
    - It now has a virgin mobile GSM sim card with a dataplan attached to it
    - I don't have a BES

- Phone calls work fine
    -SMS works fine

- I have gone through the steps listed all over the place to remove any residual IT policy
    - The Firewall is set to ENABLE and there is no option to disable it.

-I have installed logicmail and opera mini
    -Any attempt to connect to the net is stopped by the firewall that says I am violating IT policy.

Any ideas?

I should add that I am doing this for the sheer joy of playing with gadgets. My work PDA is a wm6 unit and I had never got to play with a blackberry. I have no access or desire to get access to a BES, I woulf just like to get some sort of mail down to the BB from a pop3 account.
    04-25-09 12:38 AM
    04-25-09 01:43 AM
    Thanks, but my 7230 has OS4.0 on it, this appears to apply only to 4.5.

OR

Can I upgrade the software on my BB?

Will this un-unlock it?
    04-25-09 02:09 AM
    This is what your lookin for an older device Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ
    04-25-09 10:53 AM
    Now we're getting somewhere!

The firewall warnings have gone.

I stillcan't get to Virgin Mobile's GPRS internet though.

I have three applicatiosn that should access the net whether I have a BES or not.... Opera Mini, LogicMail and Mobipocket. None of them can get through.

I have set the APN in Options/TCP.... have I missed something?
    04-26-09 09:03 PM
    This dataplan you have...is it for your wm6 device? You have to have a blackberry data plan or your device wont have the proper service books to provision it properly for internet use. Also I dont think there is a newer OS for that device. 4.0 is it. Ill look into it though. No upgrading any device OS will not unlock/lock it to or from any network.
    04-27-09 08:51 AM
    It's just a generic Virgin Mobile Data Plan. It's attached to theSIM to see if I could make it work with this blackberry.

Virgin Mobile doesn't have blackberry services.

What is a service book? Do I need one to access the service?
    04-27-09 07:23 PM
    i think the internet might work with the correct apn settings, but you won't get any push features...
    05-03-09 04:12 PM
    what if he asked or went to virgin.ca or u.s.a to download missing code from pc.
    05-03-09 04:38 PM
    well virgin usa doens't support blackberry, and he would have to have the service to get push, etc...
    05-03-09 05:27 PM
    DON'T WANT PUSH!!

DON'T WANT BES!!

I just want to get this old blackberry to run a third party email app and access a pop3 email account. PULL, if you will.

Maybe get OPERA Mini to access the net.

I repeat, not looking for blackberry services, just need to get the thing to talk to the internet!

Any ideas? I believe I have the right APN, but I still can't get out on GPRS
    05-07-09 01:00 AM
    DON'T WANT PUSH!!

DON'T WANT BES!!

I just want to get this old blackberry to run a third party email app and access a pop3 email account. PULL, if you will.

Maybe get OPERA Mini to access the net.

I repeat, not looking for blackberry services, just need to get the thing to talk to the internet!

Any ideas? I believe I have the right APN, but I still can't get out on GPRS
    I'm lost. Without data you are not going to get those apps you want to run. Since Virgin Mobile does not support BlackBerry, there are no service books that your device will receive.
    05-07-09 01:41 AM
    If people in the US can get data to work on older Berries on Boost Mobile (which doesn't offer or support BlackBerries), I'm thinking there has got to be a way to make this work.
    05-07-09 02:26 AM
    Exactly. I would only need blackberry support if I was trying to use a BES.

There are all sorts of comments around the web indicating I should be able to get third party applications to work.
    05-07-09 04:02 AM
    Exactly. I would only need blackberry support if I was trying to use a BES.

There are all sorts of comments around the web indicating I should be able to get third party applications to work.
    I think you are mistaken by what we mean by support.
    Virgin Mobile doesn't have Blackberries. So what would be needed to obtain certain usages of a BlackBerry cannot be done.
    You need data to access the internet unless your connecting through wifi. The service books required for internet functions cannot be sent to the phone because there arent any to send.

If someone can add some more light to this, please do so, because I have explained it as best I could.
    05-07-09 05:11 AM
    Service books are what provision the device to actually function in the way your plan details. If you wanted email push but no internet. Then your service books sent to your device would be the email account ones only. Service books are pushed by your provider, not RIM. So if your provider doesnt have service books to send to your device then I dont see a way for this to work. I do hear about boost mobile using opera mini to get internet. Never messed with it though.
    05-07-09 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD