Is there some rogue carrier who still supports a 1x network that you can still connect a very old BB to? What is the oldest device someone still has running? I am curious if there is anyway to get one of the older pager style ones up and running.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-19 12:00 PM
    Is there some rogue carrier who still supports a 1x network that you can still connect a very old BB to? What is the oldest device someone still has running? I am curious if there is anyway to get one of the older pager style ones up and running.

Posted via CB10
    Do you mean activate it and use email on it? In that case, the Q10, since BIS was discontinued in 2016 and all the devices prior to BB10 needed BIS active to have email work on them. Here is a news article about it:
    https://new.digi.com.my/notification...y-notification

If you want just texting and phone calls, the 5820 or 6720 (5810 / 6710 if you are from North America)

Some carriers might still have it, you just have to contact them to find out.
    03-09-19 07:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    I can still run Bold or Torch hardware on AT&T provided it's carrier branded for correct bands
    03-09-19 07:42 AM
    Do you mean activate it and use email on it? In that case, the Q10, since BIS was discontinued in 2016 and all the devices prior to BB10 needed BIS active to have email work on them. Here is a news article about it:

If you want just texting and phone calls, the 5820 or 6720 (5810 / 6710 if you are from North America)

I still use LogicMail for email without BIS on a Bold 9900 (and BIS is still available on some carriers in some countries), but coping with LogicMail's limitations is not something most people would want to do.
    03-09-19 12:06 PM
    Yeah, I am still ok with BIS on my Bold on AT&T here in the US. I will check on those other models and a Torch would be cool, thanks for that, Chuck!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-19 01:38 PM

A 5810 will still work? Even for just voice and text? That would be quite a thing to see.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-19 01:41 PM
    A 5810 will still work? Even for just voice and text? That would be quite a thing to see.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it would. That thing is GPRS only. Among the 2G network systems AT&T shut down a while back. So, no voice or text there.
    03-09-19 03:21 PM
    Yes it would. That thing is GPRS only. Among the 2G network systems AT&T shut down a while back. So, no voice or text there.
    That's what I thought. Although I think some carriers still have a 1x network in operation for home heating and electric meters? I don't know. Maybe they would let people have a line through their old network!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-19 03:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Of course. They work like any other regular phone as long as your carrier is compatible with the device's frequencies. The 5810/5820 is the oldest functioning BlackBerry, I don't belive DataTAC and Mobitex plans are still available for the 950/850 957/857 models. But you need a headset for phone calls so for a regular phone, so to speak, the 6710 is the oldest functioning one.
    03-09-19 05:32 PM
    Of course. They work like any other regular phone as long as your carrier is compatible with the device's frequencies. The 5810/5820 is the oldest functioning BlackBerry, I don't belive DataTAC and Mobitex plans are still available for the 950/850 957/857 models. But you need a headset for phone calls so for a regular phone, so to speak, the 6710 is the oldest functioning one.
    I am sure technically they work but getting them activated and up and running might not be a thing since I think a lot of those bands are no longer supported like 2G. Did those phones even have sim slots?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-19 05:49 PM
    I am sure technically they work but getting them activated and up and running might not be a thing since I think a lot of those bands are no longer supported like 2G. Did those phones even have sim slots?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the SIM slot is at the bottom, next to the charging connector. Kind of what iPhone has but you have to push a switch to the side to release the sliding SIM tray instead of pushing it in. In Europe is much easier to get the 5820 working, you just buy a SIM and pop it in,no activation required. From my understanding you need to register your phone with the network in the US before you can use it, also I did read about some carriers dropping 2G which is unfortunate. A lot of older people are still using old style 2G phones and they are basically forcing you to upgrade.
    But in theory, the 5810 is still functional and awesome looking too! With battery lasting about a week.
    03-09-19 05:59 PM
    Yes, the SIM slot is at the bottom, next to the charging connector. Kind of what iPhone has but you have to push a switch to the side to release the sliding SIM tray instead of pushing it in. In Europe is much easier to get the 5820 working, you just buy a SIM and pop it in,no activation required. From my understanding you need to register your phone with the network in the US before you can use it, also I did read about some carriers dropping 2G which is unfortunate. A lot of older people are still using old style 2G phones and they are basically forcing you to upgrade.
    But in theory, the 5810 is still functional and awesome looking too! With battery lasting about a week.
    Yeah, they gave them 3G flip phones instead. And I think Sprint still has a 1x network that might technically work with the old Nextel devices?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-19 06:03 PM
    Yeah, they gave them 3G flip phones instead. And I think Sprint still has a 1x network that might technically work with the old Nextel devices?

Posted via CB10
    According to this article: https://www.geotab.com/blog/2g-network-shutdown/
    Sprint still supports 2G until 2021 and T-Mobile until December 2020. So in theory, still possible to get it working, at least for a while.
    03-09-19 06:13 PM
    According to this article: https://www.geotab.com/blog/2g-network-shutdown/
    Sprint still supports 2G until 2021 and T-Mobile until December 2020. So in theory, still possible to get it working, at least for a while.
    Now we are talking! Now I just need a Sprint old school device haha.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-19 06:15 PM
    I'm waiting for the P9982 that I just bought to arrive and am gonna give it a spin as my daily driver for a weekend. Looking forward to be transported back to 2013 for 48 hours? Well, minus 90% of the apps working!
    RCJ28 likes this.
    03-09-19 07:50 PM
    I'm waiting for the P9982 that I just bought to arrive and am gonna give it a spin as my daily driver for a weekend. Looking forward to be transported back to 2013 for 48 hours? Well, minus 90% of the apps working!
    Wish I could find one of those that aren't 400+ dollars!

Posted via CB10
    RCJ28 likes this.
    03-09-19 09:09 PM