Hi all,

I recently acquired an unlocked 7290 from eBay (I was looking for something else, thought why not search for BBs and well it was too cheap to resist and curiosity got the better of me) and I'm actually quite impressed with how easy to use the phone is.

My question is, using the sim card with data plan from my Curve, should I be able to get my emails on this 7290? I just fancy carrying something different around and I do like the keyboard and it's a handy back up for the Curve.

I can make and receive calls, send and receive texts and browse the internet with it using O2 wap browser. I'm with O2 and the phone's screen has Vodaphone on it.

So how do I set up email on this phone so that I can switch my sim between the two phones and never be out of touch?

At the moment if I go to compose an email it just says - 'No message services configured. You will only be able to save to draft'.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Dom
    03-18-10 03:13 PM
    Hi all,

I recently acquired an unlocked 7290 from eBay (I was looking for something else, thought why not search for BBs and well it was too cheap to resist and curiosity got the better of me) and I'm actually quite impressed with how easy to use the phone is.

My question is, using the sim card with data plan from my Curve, should I be able to get my emails on this 7290? I just fancy carrying something different around and I do like the keyboard and it's a handy back up for the Curve.

I can make and receive calls, send and receive texts and browse the internet with it using O2 wap browser. I'm with O2 and the phone's screen has Vodaphone on it.

So how do I set up email on this phone so that I can switch my sim between the two phones and never be out of touch?

At the moment if I go to compose an email it just says - 'No message services configured. You will only be able to save to draft'.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Dom
    RIM has always gone above and beyond to ensure older, legacy devices are still compatible with newer, updated BIS software versions.

While I've never actually attempted to use a 7290 on current BIS versions, I have a suspicion it should work just fine. I can provide some tips which (may) help you go about getting it working like a modern day device.

1) Log into O2's BIS portal and navigate to "Change Device".

2) As your normally would, Enter the device PIN and IMEI and click "Save".

The BIS should send service books to your device, provided the change works properly and there aren't any errors. If you don't get them automatically, do this.

3) Go to "Service Books" and click "Send Service Books" - You should get a pop-up saying "Service Books Successfully Sent!" depending on the version of BIS that O2 are running.

After you do receive service books, You should get the normal normal message from "Activation Server" saying that your device was registered on the network.

This process is pretty much the same for most any device today, You will need to repeat the process of re-registering your device(s) with the BIS, each time you switch, as the BIS will only allow you one registered PIN at a time, and mail delivery to the other PIN will be stopped.

Hopefully this works, If not, You may need to get in touch with O2 (as much as a pain that doing so is.) and tell them your trying to use an older device on the network, even though it was originally a Vodafone device, they should still be able to help you.
    03-18-10 04:01 PM
    Thanks Dak,

That is a brilliant reply!

That's pretty much all the info I was missing right there in one post. You've answered everything right through to the swapping sims between devices question. I'll crack on with this and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Dom
    03-18-10 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD