Hey all,

I recently broke my qwerty flip phone that I used primarily for texting and have been lost without it. Due to financial strain I am looking for a reasonably priced qwerty phone and found several very nice 7250's in my price range. I will use some of the PDA features as I used to have a Palm and loved it but I will NOT be upgrading to the VZW data plan at least until my financial situation improves.

I have the following questions:

Will VZW allow me to activate the phone on my standard voice/text/pix plan?

Will I be able to send and receive pictures attached to text messages on the 7250 without having to use the e-mail features and get into data charges?

Thanks in advance for enlightening a BB newb!
    01-23-09 09:24 PM
    I used to have a Verizon 7250. It did not have a camera or MMS capability. It was an excellent phone and email machine, and solid as a rock. Virtually indestructible. RIM is no longer updating the OS for this model, so you won't be able to run a lot of newer apps. But for text, email, and phone, it's hard to beat.
    01-23-09 09:52 PM
    You have to have a data plan with a blackberry tho. To my knowledge, there is no way around that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 09:54 PM
    VZW will not sale you a BB w/o a data plan. I know cause I raised **** inside that store for over an hour. Still walked outta there paying 25.99 a month.
    01-23-09 10:19 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I can get a brand new one from an internet retailer for under $60 but I don't know if it will work on VZW with my current plan. I know VZW is shoving the data plan down everyone's throats if they want to buy a BB but what about getting your own & activating it?

I know the phone has no camera which is a bummer but for the price I'll live with it. I really need to know if I can send and receive pics attached to text messages with it though. Ya' know, the pics of the kids from the wife or the joke you want to forward with a picture attached....thats what I really need to clear up before I buy one.
    01-23-09 11:07 PM
    ...I know the phone has no camera which is a bummer but for the price I'll live with it. I really need to know if I can send and receive pics attached to text messages with it though. Ya' know, the pics of the kids from the wife or the joke you want to forward with a picture attached....thats what I really need to clear up before I buy one.
    As I said in Post #2, the 7250 has no MMS capability, with or without a data plan. MMS is what you are calling Picture texts. Here's a clip from the RIM data page. Note the reference to SMS, not MMS.

Phone, email, SMS, browser and organizer applications
    Bluetooth hands-free headset and car kit support (BlackBerry® 7250 and BlackBerry® 7290)
    High resolution 240x160 color display
    32 MB (BlackBerry 7250 and BlackBerry 7290) or 16 MB (BlackBerry® 7230 and BlackBerry® 7280) of memory for application and data storage
    Smaller form factor with a light and comfortable feel
    Enhanced attachment viewing and browsing experience
    Rated for hearing aids: BlackBerry 7230: M3, BlackBerry 7250: M4, T4
    BlackBerry 7250: Operates on 800/1900 MHz cdmaOne, CDMA2000 1X and Ev-DO wireless networks in North America, and features tethered modem support for Ev-Do** and GPS Assist**
    BlackBerry 7280: Tri-band smartphone, operates on 850/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS wireless networks in North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific
    BlackBerry 7290: Quad-band smartphone, operates on 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS wireless networks in North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific
    01-23-09 11:15 PM
    JeffH, Thanks for the clarification. I am not familiar with the proper terminology so I appreciate the additional reply to help get me up to speed.

Can you advise me of the earliest model number that supports MMS on VZW so I can send and receive the picture texts that I seem to always have a need to?
    01-24-09 07:51 AM
    All the info you need is here: BlackBerry Devices in the BlackBerry devices and specifications. Unfortunately there's no easy way to sort by age and capability. You can sort by carrier. If you find a phone model that's priced in your range, you can easily check to see if it has MMS capability. All the models are here, even the original models in the Older Devices section. Some of these older models were and are very capable devices. Good hunting.
    01-24-09 08:34 AM
    The oldest blackberry that supports mms is the pearl. The treo 650 supported mms, has a qwerty keypad, and does NOT require a data plan. Blackberries do. No amount of yelling, hissy-fitting, or complaining to anyone will fix that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD