So I've got a few older blackberries with iffy scroll wheels. I have a 957 where the scroll wheel barely works at all, and an 8700 where it works somewhat but still not the best. You try scrolling with it and the selection will go all over the place and never go to where you want it to. The 8700 is the same but toned down a bit. Is replacing the scroll wheel the only option, or could it be fixed? What is happening with the scroll wheels when they stop scrolling properly, is it just dirty or is there something else that starts to fail? I'm pretty good with fixing phones and very comfortable opening them up and poking around.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-20 08:08 AM
    Honestly you can't take these apart as they are sealed together. I found that putting it in rubbing alcohol 90% + and running the wheel back and forth was the best bet. The alcohol will evaporate when you are done.
    07-04-20 09:07 AM
    Honestly you can't take these apart as they are sealed together. I found that putting it in rubbing alcohol 90% + and running the wheel back and forth was the best bet. The alcohol will evaporate when you are done.
    I managed to get the 957 open without much issue. It's 4 torx screws and a little force but it came out easily enough. I'll try stabbing it with alcohol though, can't believe I didn't think of that!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-20 01:11 PM
    I managed to get the 957 open without much issue. It's 4 torx screws and a little force but it came out easily enough. I'll try stabbing it with alcohol though, can't believe I didn't think of that!

Posted via CB10
    Is this your device? 957 Specs if so the entire wheel component should be removable that you can submerse in alcohol. There is a cable that attaches it that shoudl pop off the board. Its been a while so I completely forget but the component does come off but the wheel in the unit its built into does not come apart
    07-04-20 01:39 PM
    I second this! Done it on hundreds of units. Use an old brush to remove all the dust and lint first, then 99.99% Isopropyl alcohol works wonders, just run the wheel up and down on your palm.
    07-06-20 02:16 PM