Just got a new Vista computer, and for the first time, my 7290 will talk to it. SWEET!..until I loaded some software.
    I have Device Manager 4.0 that came with my BBY. I successfully synched my BBY with my Outlook--no troubles.
    Then I loaded a German-English dictionary that I down-loaded some time ago.
    It seemed to work just fine, but when it was finishd, I got this device error and my BBY won't work. I pushed the scrolley wheel and the red light lights and the hourglass turns for a couple minutes, then the error again. When powered off/on it did the same then gave the error. I even removed the batter for a minute with same results.
    PLEASE HELP!
    07-16-08 09:39 AM
    Its probably out of memory. Plug it back into your comp and use the apps loader and remove the german dictionary. I'm not sure but you might have to re-install your OS. Happened to me once and thats what I wound up doing. Welcome to crackberry! Hope this helps you out.
    07-16-08 05:15 PM
    did ya pull the battery when you bb was still on?
    07-16-08 05:23 PM
    With this device error, I cannot power off using any of the buttons. I've tried. The only function that still works is pushing the scrolley wheel to initiate a reset.

I removed the battery for a couple minutes. When I reinserted it, the device automatically started and the hourglass just flipped for a few minites, then the error statement again, like before.

This morning, I looked for a maste reset button like on a Palm Pilot, but I could not find one.
    07-17-08 06:01 AM
    Its probably out of memory. Plug it back into your comp and use the apps loader and remove the german dictionary. I'm not sure but you might have to re-install your OS. Happened to me once and thats what I wound up doing. Welcome to crackberry! Hope this helps you out.
    Thanks rlp32.

I downloaded Desktop Manager 4.5 and it opens correctly. I started Application Loader, hit Add/Remove Programs, logged in, and it connects to the "device (ARM)" and "boot ROM" (of the device, I guess, not sure). The device showed the two files I tried to load yesterday: BEIKS Dictionary Reader, and the dictionary itself. When I select them, the Delete button remains grayed out. In Options, the options to delete or erase data remain unselectable.

Just for grins, I hit the "Next" button to load them from my computer. Then I got the error message that the applications will not load, because some files are missing.

Hope you still have some ideas.
    07-17-08 06:48 AM
    No, when you have the apps loader open it will show you the two programs. Make sure they aren't checked and then hit next...this will basically take them of your berry. I'm just guessing here but I bet that dictionary software is for a newer OS?
    07-17-08 12:55 PM
    Thanks again rlp32. I did what you said, but when it was done, the error came back on my device, the Manager said the process was complete. Applications Loader still shows the two apps and "Delete" is still grayed out.

I hope someone has another idea. Next week, I'll take this back to the service provider and see what they can do.
    07-18-08 03:55 AM
    FINAL REPORT -

Thanks all for your help!

I took my device back to the store who then called tech support. I was advised to download the current OS 4.1 and load using the Desktop Manager. IT WORKED!

The down side is that ALL my data and user preferences were lost in the process. Now I am reloading everying, but it works and looks a little nicer too.

Crack(berry) Rocks!
    07-24-08 08:48 AM
    Good to hear you got it going.
    07-24-08 04:04 PM
    FINAL REPORT -

I took my device back to the store who then called tech support. I was advised to download the current OS 4.1 and load using the Desktop Manager. IT WORKED!

The down side is that ALL my data and user preferences were lost in the process. Now I am reloading everying, but it works and looks a little nicer too.

Crack(berry) Rocks!
    ## Make sure you run a backup of your data and user preference at least once a week or more if planning to add or test other softwares and themes!!
    If you run into device error, you can go back to restore OS 4.1 and then restore your backups, you'll be glad you did!
    ## Another suggestion: sync your address book, calendar, and whatnots to MS Outlook... now you have two places and not lose anything!
    07-24-08 10:51 PM
    FINAL REPORT -

Crack(berry) Rocks!
    Just like all of you I was installing a new piece of software and the 7290 died on me, when I rebooted it (Battery reset no SIM card) the machine attempts to start but I get the dreaded Device Error 400.

I know I'm supposed to reload the O.S but I don't seem to know how to do it, I have the desktop manager but can't find the O.S, I do have a backup of the machine but I can't restore it. Can some one help me with the O.S reload and point me to where I can obtain it, I looked at the RIM web site but don't seem to be able to locate the O.S

Aloha and Mahalo (thanks) in advance.

EM
    08-01-08 08:46 PM
    All

I did download the O.S but the Application manager won't installed indicating that I have the latest O.S available for the 7290, here are the latest versions I have on my 7290

BlackBerry Device Manager Ver 4.3.1.0
    BBDev Manager Ver 4.0.1.3
    RIM USB Driver Ver 4.0.0.2
    RIM USB Serial Driver 2.1.0.4

If anyone knows how to wipe the BB clean and reload the O.S can you please let me know.

Aloha

EM
    08-02-08 04:38 PM
    I've corrected a BB 7290 after device error 400, all thanks to a link!
    amended and its!! wish good luck!
    blackberryforums.com*/*rim-software*/*1871-blackberryos-4-x-download-faq-upgrade-downloads.html

p.s. * Please delete the reference! this is not spam and no advertising, and most real help!
    11-10-08 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD