I would like to know if there is a way to mod(?) a couple of old 6710's that are not active so the kids can play with them. Maybe somewhere I can download games to transfer onto them? I've heard of an OS that could be changed onto them, anyone have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    03-12-10 10:51 AM
    cant you just load some games onto it and take out the sim card
    04-07-10 08:04 PM
    cant you just load some games onto it and take out the sim card

NO, that will not work

even without Sim Cards the phone can Still dial 911.

there is NO way that the phone can be made completely inactive for games and apps, to play with,
    you can disable the Radio, but even then if they press 911 by mistake connection is restored and it is dialed.
    04-10-10 10:01 AM
    I wonder how hard it would be to disassemble the BlackBerry, cut the radio antenna wire and reassemble it back together.
    04-11-10 05:38 AM
    I've done this with other types of phones. Totally possible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 10:40 PM
    Please don't ever give your kids phones that can still dial 911.

When I worked in dispatch, I'd take dozens of 911 phone calls from disconnected phones, with no one on the line talking, and usually kids playing with them. There is no address or phone number associated with them, and no way to call the phone back if they hang up, and no way to block them from calling in. It was not uncommon at all for kids to prank call 911 half a dozen or more times and just play. If we hung up on them, they would just call back.

I don't blame the kids; after all if someone gave you a Wii and all it could do was play Wii sports, what would you do with it? You'd probably play Wii sports. Phones are communication devices. When the only thing you can do with that device communicate with is 911, what's the logical thing to do?

Now I'm on the road, and GPS has become common in phones. So when dispatch gets an abandoned 911, usually from a disconnected phone, they get the GPS coordinates and I litererally get to try and track down the phones when dispatch gets the calls. But the GPS coordinates can be accurate to anywhere from 5 meters (using true GPS) up to 1000 meters (cell tower triangulation). Trying to track them down, especially in high-density housing, is a serious PITA. A significant amount of resources are wasted chasing phantom 911 calls, not to mention the burden put on the 911 call takers and system.

There is a liability involved if we don't respond to every 911 call, regardless of whether or not someone is talking on the other line. Please be a responsible parent and don't allow your children to play with cell phones that can dial 911.

/end rant.
    08-01-10 02:13 PM
    Please don't ever give your kids phones that can still dial 911.

When I worked in dispatch, I'd take dozens of 911 phone calls from disconnected phones, with no one on the line talking, and usually kids playing with them. There is no address or phone number associated with them, and no way to call the phone back if they hang up, and no way to block them from calling in. It was not uncommon at all for kids to prank call 911 half a dozen or more times and just play. If we hung up on them, they would just call back.

I don't blame the kids; after all if someone gave you a Wii and all it could do was play Wii sports, what would you do with it? You'd probably play Wii sports. Phones are communication devices. When the only thing you can do with that device communicate with is 911, what's the logical thing to do?

Now I'm on the road, and GPS has become common in phones. So when dispatch gets an abandoned 911, usually from a disconnected phone, they get the GPS coordinates and I litererally get to try and track down the phones when dispatch gets the calls. But the GPS coordinates can be accurate to anywhere from 5 meters (using true GPS) up to 1000 meters (cell tower triangulation). Trying to track them down, especially in high-density housing, is a serious PITA. A significant amount of resources are wasted chasing phantom 911 calls, not to mention the burden put on the 911 call takers and system.

There is a liability involved if we don't respond to every 911 call, regardless of whether or not someone is talking on the other line. Please be a responsible parent and don't allow your children to play with cell phones that can dial 911.

/end rant.
    Wow, that makes me think of all the old phones I have given to my grand kids. Most of them ended up in the tub or pool after they got them
    08-01-10 03:24 PM
    To opskmallory -

Thanks for the "rant." I couldn't agree more. With almost any cell phone made over the past 5 years, as long as there's a battery in it, even if the service is "inactive," it will STILL be able to do a 911 call, and most have the GPS capability too.

On the positive side, my local State Representative has a program for recycling old cell phones, that are given to local volunteer crime prevention programs, women at risk of domestic violence, frail seniors living alone, and the like, JUST for that purpose.... so they can be used for REAL emergency calls.

But giving these phones to kids is a real no-no... any false alarms that occupy the time and resources of emergency service personnel cause a delayed response to those who REALLY need help.
    08-15-10 01:45 AM
    kill the antenna device!
    08-18-10 01:39 PM
    Give them an IPHONE 4G it has no reception anyways! sorry i had to!

On a serious note i rip out the antenna most of them dont work without it and i disable the radio just in case just as an extra precaution... iknow it turns on on its own but its better than just leaving it on.
    09-07-10 01:02 PM
    Instead of an iPhone4, how about an iPod touch? it can be loaded with games and can't call anyone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    motoroid7 and ILoveTorch like this.
    01-02-11 06:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD