Make it the same size of the old pager (OK maybe thinner unless the thickness is taken up by a battery that can run all month before dying) & give it support for only these: SMS, plain text e-mail, some IM services, clock, calendar, memo pad, & contacts. Monochrome screen.

Make it an unlocked multiband GSM/UMTS model suitable for global roaming (it would use hardly any data anyway, but the UMTS support could be for use in countries/regions that have no GSM, like Japan & South Korea).

Am I the only weird one here that would like to see something like this come to market? Perhaps after the market gets totally saturated with bigger & bigger screen phones & tablets, demand may open up for a simpler & much smaller device.
    05-26-11 02:24 AM
    Yes. You are the only one.
    05-29-11 02:29 AM
    I think it would be a very limited market. But some businesses do not allow devices with cameras. So maybe something similar with a twist!
    05-29-11 02:37 AM
    I'm not totally sure on this idea, Seems a bit odd.
    06-13-11 02:38 PM
    I wouldn't dislike it actually! It can be a spare device used for emergency stuff, or just something very simple and cheap! Of course not many people will get it, but a few ones with not much money will do!
    08-01-11 04:12 AM
    Going back retro simple can be good, at some point people will get tired of all this connectivity and social crap...twatter or facebutt and the rest of the narcisstic syndromes.
    08-01-11 04:23 AM
    I still have my old 950 -- my first BB, more than ten years old now. The problem is that you'd still have to carry a cell phone. I remember carrying both, one on each hip. Don't think I'd want to go back to that.
    08-10-11 11:03 AM
    i would love to see and Inter@ctive Pager still working. if anything for the nostalgia. i still have my old Nokia 5185i lying around as a backup on Page Plus and up until my iPhone, Droid failures and now Blackberry i was still using the old brick of a phone. the BB has finally replaced it

the 850 would be nice for a cheaper market such as the TracFones and Net10s. they have cheap basic non-flashy phones from $15. would be a neat addition to that market to have a RIM offering even if dated.
    08-28-11 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD