Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Any O2 users check your bill if you have any data charges even thou you have blackberry unlimited including recent charges. If so when did these data charges start? and have you downloaded the Blackberry App world? I have charges and suspect it a new app im using.
    04-22-09 01:59 PM
    i have found this with orange but not to sure what it is
    04-22-09 02:06 PM
    Any O2 users check your bill if you have any data charges even thou you have blackberry unlimited including recent charges. If so when did these data charges start? and have you downloaded the Blackberry App world? I have charges and suspect it a new app im using.
    I have had this issue with my last 2 bills. Went into the o2 store and they were basically baffled by the charges. The assistant said if I get charged to go in and tell them and they can refund the charges. They also attempted to block the mobileweb function but I still get charged occasionally. These charges should only occur if you are using your device as a modem, which I don't.

What apps do you have? Maybe we have an app in common and we could narrow down the problem.
    09-23-09 06:37 PM
    i was led to believe all data transfer via the BB server, if you use the mobile.o2.co.uk apn then this will be charged for. dont know y their both data transfer but o2 are gay like that.
    09-24-09 10:04 AM
    Will check my next bill due in next couple of days.

Just had a thought, did anyone download the U2 music album App ? I've deleted it now but i did notice in settings it was set to mobile network (or something similar) rather than BIS.
    Last edited by CGSCOT; 09-25-09 at 08:51 AM.
    09-25-09 08:45 AM
    Will check my next bill due in next couple of days.

Just had a thought, did anyone download the U2 music album App ? I've deleted it now but i did notice in settings it was set to mobile network (or something similar) rather than BIS.
    No U2 app for me. I do have a bunch of other apps that connect to the internet so it really could be any of those, but I dont even have the mobileweb APN settings saved on my handset.
    09-25-09 01:40 PM
    Same here last month o2 charged me an extra 1.51 for using o2 mobile web and I have no idea why
    09-29-09 08:16 AM
    guys O2 have no control what apps go onto the app world. RIM take no responsibility if those apps use mobile web. you will be charged 1 per MB as mobile web is not included in the Blackberry unlimited. Some apps will automatically detect your network and provide mobile web settings.

not much you can do but trial and error on each app and allways check connection settings on each app. Other than that were stuck!

Really isnt O2's fault but hopefully they will do somthing about it.
    09-29-09 12:52 PM
    My bill had about 6 in mobileweb data charges spread over a few days at the start of the month.

From a conversation with o2 earlier today:

- they can't (or simply won't) check their records to see what app it could have been, or at least what websites/ip addresses were accessed

- they admitted that it's entirely possible for an app to connect via mobileweb without any indication to the user

- they (rightly) say that 3rd party apps are beyond their control BUT they cannot disable mobileweb on your account to prevent charges in future without disabling WAP totally

- "unlimited" blackberry internet and WAP access are definitely included on the 35/month tarriff (I use the wap.o2.co.uk APN)

I explained how I felt cheated and that this was a hidden charge (when my contract began I called to confirm that all internet access was included and they never mentioned mobileweb, so this was the first time I'd even heard of it). They agreed to refund the charge as goodwill, and to note my request of an option to totallly opt-out from ever using mobile-web.

Still no idea exactly which app was the culprit, but I suspect the combination of the U2 album app and listening to previews on 7Digital Music Store. Possibly also Snaptu, Shazam and Xenozu Youtube Player.

So for now either stay away from apps with no specific network options, or test them briefly, wait 24hrs then check your recent charges...

...I dont even have the mobileweb APN settings saved on my handset.
    I guess the app(s) causing this have various APN settings stored internally.

They also attempted to block the mobileweb function but I still get charged occasionally.
    How did they attempt to do it in the store? I was told this wasn't possible without disabling WAP completely.
    10-09-09 12:36 AM
    I had this problem, I narrowed it down to the Google Mobile App. I found it out by checking the log. On the home screen hold the alt button and type lglg. it will bring up the device log. Clear it by pressing the BlackBerry button then exit. Load up the Google Mobile App if you have it, or any other application you suspect. Wait a while for the activity indicator to stop flashing, exit and go back to the log. You should see a connection made to mobile.o2.co.uk, even if you do not have it in the APN settings.
    I think it's doing it when it tries to get your location.
    I posted my problem on the o2 BlackBerry forum and it was suggested by another user that the YouTube app also causes charges.
    Strange because I use Gmail app, Google Sync app and Google Maps and it uses BIS just fine
    10-10-09 07:15 PM
    never had an additional bill from o2 had a few when i was first on orange, but soon got the money back..
    10-10-09 07:57 PM
    I'm now 95% sure that the Snaptu app is mobilewebbing on my phone (didn't use any other new apps yesterday and now have about a 50p data charge)

Thanks for the LGLG code, that's incredibly useful! Can confirm that Google Mobile App connects to mobile.02.co.uk for me too. Noticed you can turn off the location feature in the options.

What are the chances there's a hidden option on the phone to block undesired APNs?
    10-11-09 11:35 AM
    it is all to do with what apn your handset is using, well it is with orange, if you are using blackberry .net apn it will come from your blackberry bundle, so no charges, if not and use another apn the costs will arise as your plan will prob not cover these usage on the net
    10-13-09 08:18 AM
    No because as we've found above, some apps ignore the handset setting and connect to an APN of their chosing without giving any warning.
    Last edited by mikecupcake; 10-14-09 at 06:25 AM.
    10-14-09 06:23 AM

I guess the app(s) causing this have various APN settings stored internally.

How did they attempt to do it in the store? I was told this wasn't possible without disabling WAP completely.
    I don't know how they attempted to block it but the guy definitely said they attempted it. I have my suspicions that the app to blame is ubertwitter, i have deleted this app and will check my bill to examine the charges in a few days and see if they are gone. I don't use any of the other apps that have been mentioned in the thread so I will just have to use trial and error. The most irritating thing is that several of the charges have been incurred at times when I was using the wifi in my flat.
    10-15-09 03:20 PM
    I downloaded and had a play with snaptu recently and now for the firstr time ever I have a mobileweb charge showing under recent charges. 36p lol, it was only a quick play!

Frankly it is about time mobile web use was included in the unlimited tariff. In the past I have argued with o2 about this but they always say 'mobile web use is not included at this time' this leads me to think that one day the MAY include it. iphone users and other smarthphones can use it including BLACKBERRY CONNECT devices! Unfair?, yes in my opinion anyway. Maybe now they have lost the iphone exclusivity they may reconsider but with the launch of the Pre..... perhaps not! I must check if the Pre internet tariffs include mobile web use....
    10-15-09 04:12 PM

Really isnt O2's fault but hopefully they will do somthing about it.
    Whilst it is true that o2 have no control over what settings an application will use to connect to the internet I think that an unlimited tariff should include ALL types of internet access that the device is capable of. At the end of the day data is data is data and it is all o2 data so why the jiggerypokery? It is beyond me!

Have a word

Please
    10-15-09 04:21 PM
    is it correct in saying that with a blackberry unlimited bolt on you shouldn't be charged for accessing pages via mobile.o2? I've been charged for it since I started the contract and never pinned it down. If so I may just try and find some get up and go and get my money back!!
    10-17-09 09:53 PM
    Got my 02 bill today which had 2.50 for mobile.02.co.uk even though all my settings are for blackberry.

As stated before it must be an app, i have a few so not sure exactly which one...maybe ubertwitter or snaptu

I pay enough for my BB without these extra charges...rubbish !!
    11-09-09 06:08 AM
    it isnt ubertwitter as i use it alot you shouldnt be charged any extra at all.. try going in the shop or call them say you playing for unlimited internet why are you paying extra....
    11-09-09 07:30 AM
    Snaptu does incur charges.

Ubertwitter does not (unless you've specifically told it to use mobile.o2.co.uk)

100% definite on this.
    11-15-09 01:49 PM
    I'm quite glad I stumbled upon this thread! I've also been noticing extra charges in the last few months. Much what has been written above regarding conversations with O2 are also familiar - althouh on one of the last times I spoke to them they did say that it may be a handset problem and I may need to take the BB back to get looked at!

I also think it may be an app that is causing this, the trouble is I must admit to being a bit of an 'App Freak' as i have loads of them and narrowing it down would be near impossible!

One App I do have that does tell you of data usage after you exit is the Sky remote record app but I don't use it enough to incur huge charges!

2 of the apps that have been mentioned are Ubertwiter and Snaptu, I have neither of these so there must be more out there that are causing charges to appear!
    11-16-09 08:11 AM
    You should go to Settings and switch off Mobile Data. The apps you have on the phone are updating in the background. If you switch off the mobile data will stop. If you want to update your apps you can do it at your home with WiFi connection. My phone charges was also getting deducted for unknown data usage. I visited O2 customer service and by following their directions my problem was solved. By following above method if still the problem exists you can also visit here and apprise them the problem you are facing. Your problem will certainly be solved.

I
    04-01-16 06:03 AM
    Facebook is a data hog. Keep Messenger but only use Facebook in a web browser
    07-19-17 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD