Watching the space in the smartphone industry just became that more interesting. Samsung initially introduced their open source Tizen operating system in the wearable technology segment and I have read a smart TV is also being released sporting this new OS. Elsewhere a story surfaced of a newly released app development kit also available for Tizen. Today, Engadget reported on a new smartphone from Sammy and it also sports the Tizen OS. What does this hold for BlackBerry and the crumbling market share? Why would Samsung want to swap the opensource and free Android ecosystem and Google for a proprietary OS, with relative few apps compared to Android? Check this out from the article:

"Samsung has been teasing a*Tizen-based prototype phones*for quite awhile now, but it has finally launched an honest-to-God Tizen smartphone: the Samsung Z. It's Samsung's attempt at a homegrown non-Android OS (first featured on its*Galaxy Gear smartwatch), though it developed the software jointly with Intel. The Samsung Z will feature a 720p HD, AMOLED display with a quad-core, 2.3GHz CPU (from Intel we presume) with 2GB RAM, 16GB memory, LTE, an 8-megapixel camera, a heartrate sensor and fingerprint scanner. Expect to see the same design language featured in its Android-based Galaxy S devices, especially in the app drawer, notification tray and homescreen widgets. Samsung has also promised a "slim, angular design," and will launch it in black and gold on June 3rd at its Tizen developer conference in San Francisco. It'll be available in Russia and other markets shortly thereafter -- expect more details (like the price) soon."

Samsung breaks from Android with its first ever Tizen phone
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung's Tizen phone versus Android world dominance-11497.jpg  
    06-02-14 03:27 AM
    It is more interesting to consider what threat is presented to the platforms with current major market share. Tizen's leadership has representatives from several telcom networks with a major presence in their market regions. With SK Telecom and KT on board I anticipate a fairly easy entry and preference the Korean market where Android is now dominant. Likewise Orange and Vodafone are very significant players with major market share in EMEA and will be looking to see some returns on their investment in Tizen.
    06-02-14 04:11 AM
    Somewhere, a patent lawyer is shopping for another boat.
    06-02-14 04:25 AM
    When the biggest and most successful Android handset maker decides to test the water away from the Android ecosystem, it makes me wonder what exactly is in store. How happy Google will be with this move is another matter. Android is merely a vehicle for Google to enable its business strategy. Google will not want to loose significant numbers of mobile users to a platform outside it's reach. With Jolla Sailfish as well as BB10 able to run Android applications due to the incorporated runtime environments, will Google see Samsung's move as a sign of defection and adopt a longer term strategy to open up the Google ecosystem to BlackBerry and Jolla? Just a thought.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    Last edited by m1kr0; 06-02-14 at 05:27 AM.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    06-02-14 04:41 AM
    I like the fact that a company like Samsung is testing the waters with a new OS.

How far it will go is anyone's guess, but with the financial muscle of some majors players backing it, it could be very promising.

Sent using the CB Forum app
    06-02-14 05:15 AM
    If Samsung is willing to put as much marketing $ behind this product line/platform as it has for android-based products, I'm sure Google is smart enough to brush any hard feelings aside and collect search/ad revenue from its users. Bittersweet, but... mostly sweet.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 05:24 AM
    I'm wondering what impact will this have on the Google Open Handset Alliance. One of the rules is that members are contractually prohibited from building non-Google approved devices

Maybe this might provide an incentive for some members to break away from Android and pursue other operating systems.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    06-02-14 06:09 AM
    I'm wondering what impact will this have on the Google Open Handset Alliance. One of the rules is that members are contractually prohibited from building non-Google approved devices

Maybe this might provide an incentive for some members to break away from Android and pursue other operating systems.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    It is my understanding that members of the Open Handset Alliance are only prohibited from making an Android device that is non-Google approved. In other words they cannot make a forked version of Android. So Amazon could not join the alliance because it makes it's own forked version of Android. However, members are still allowed to make non-Android devices - ones that do not incorporate any code from Android. So, for example, Samsung is allowed to make Windows Phone devices without violating the terms of the alliance. That's my understanding but someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and serbanescu like this.
    06-02-14 06:35 AM
    It is my understanding that members of the Open Handset Alliance are only prohibited from making an Android device that is non-Google approved. In other words they cannot make a forked version of Android. So Amazon could not join the alliance because it makes it's own forked version of Android. However, members are still allowed to make non-Android devices - ones that do not incorporate any code from Android. So, for example, Samsung is allowed to make Windows Phone devices without violating the terms of the alliance. That's my understanding but someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, that's also my understanding.

Basically the OHA rules say you can't use a forked or barebones runtime - but building non-Android devices is OK. Several OHA members (Samsung & HTC for two) also build WinPhones without any problems.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-02-14 06:58 AM
    Tizen phones will face the same problem that BB10 has, a severe lack of apps. From what i know, Tizen can also run Android apps, but without seamless integration (no sideloading or other workarounds) it will not succeed.
    06-02-14 07:04 AM
    Tizen phones will face the same problem that BB10 has, a severe lack of apps. From what i know, Tizen can also run Android apps, but without seamless integration (no sideloading or other workarounds) it will not succeed.

Samsung is immensely wealthy. They could easily afford to pay Devs of the top 50 apps anything they asked to develop a Tizen version of their app. This is apparently what Microsoft did to increase the WP ecosystem.
    And, while they are building Tizen... they continue to earn money from Android handset sales.
    So, no. Samsung aren't in the same position with Tizen as BB are with BB10.
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    06-02-14 07:14 AM
    Samsung is immensely wealthy. They could easily afford to pay Devs of the top 50 apps anything they asked to develop a Tizen version of their app. This is apparently what Microsoft did to increase the WP ecosystem.
    And, while they are building Tizen... they continue to earn money from Android handset sales.
    So, no. Samsung aren't in the same position with Tizen as BB are with BB10.
    Yes, Microsoft has deep pockets, and still WP8 has an app gap. With apps it's not just about the initial development, they must also be updated constantly and offer support for them. For now there are lots of developers that don't support WP8.

Even now most local apps only have the "available in App Store" and "Available in Google play" logos in their ads. Maybe 1/10 apps says anything about WP8 and I have yet to see any app ad (in Romania) that mentions BB10.
    06-02-14 07:18 AM
    I completely agree that Tizen will need an android app runtime.

I dont think jolla sailfish will do better than BlackBerry 10 and even then we all know how hard BlackBerry 10 is struggling to gain traction.

Jolla sailfish just doesnt have enough backers.

Tizen has the potential do well as far as adoption is concerned, because of all the alliances samsung has created and because they have top to bottom solutions in the manufacturing of smart phones.

But it has to have android app compatibility.

If it does it will be a true threat to ios and android dominance.

Hopefully BlackBerry doesnt get trampled in all of this.

I for one would support tizen above ios, android and windows just because they are the underdogs and I dont want to live in a world where I have to choose between only apple and google.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-02-14 07:19 AM
    Interesting to note that Tizen's claim to fame is the HTML5 application and the thinking that the future of app building is in this direction. Well at least according to the Wikipedia article:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system
    "Tizen is hosted by the Linux Foundation and support from the LiMo Foundation, guided by a Technical Steering Group composed of Intel and Samsung. Tizen is an operating system for devices including smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) devices, and smart TVs. It is an open source system that aims to offer a consistent user experience across devices. Tizen's main components are the Linux kernel and the WebKit runtime. According to Intel, Tizen ?combines the best of LiMo and MeeGo." HTML5apps are emphasized, with MeeGo encouraging its members to transition to Tizen, stating that the "future belongs to HTML5-based applications, outside of a relatively small percentage of apps, and we are firmly convinced that our investment needs to shift toward HTML5." Tizen will be targeted at a variety of platforms such as handsets, tablets, smart TVs and in-vehicle entertainment.[12][13] On May 17, 2013, Tizen released version 2.1, code-named Nectarine.[14]"

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 07:33 AM
    Interesting to note that Tizen's claim to fame is the HTML5 application and the thinking that the future of app building is in this direction. Well at least according to the Wikipedia article:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system
    "Tizen is hosted by the Linux Foundation and support from the LiMo Foundation, guided by a Technical Steering Group composed of Intel and Samsung. Tizen is an operating system for devices including smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) devices, and smart TVs. It is an open source system that aims to offer a consistent user experience across devices. Tizen's main components are the Linux kernel and the WebKit runtime. According to Intel, Tizen ?combines the best of LiMo and MeeGo." HTML5apps are emphasized, with MeeGo encouraging its members to transition to Tizen, stating that the "future belongs to HTML5-based applications, outside of a relatively small percentage of apps, and we are firmly convinced that our investment needs to shift toward HTML5." Tizen will be targeted at a variety of platforms such as handsets, tablets, smart TVs and in-vehicle entertainment.[12][13] On May 17, 2013, Tizen released version 2.1, code-named Nectarine.[14]"

Posted via CB10
    Can BlackBerry 10 use webapps like native as shown on the engadged video of tizen?

06-02-14 07:35 AM
    I bet nobody will say:
    "Too little too late"
    "There isn't any room for a third ecosystem"

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 07:41 AM
    Samsung have played it clever by making it look as much as Android as they can. Whilst this is a cheap way out (and where I lose respect for Samsung for showing no initiative for originality or even innovation), consumers don't really know or care for which OS the phone is running, for as long it has the apps - this is where Tizen is going to fall short.

As far as I know, they've only released the phone in one country, this is also for their benefit, to see how well the phone sells and whether the reception they receive is good enough for a further push around the world.

God forbid Google bends the OHA rules for Samsung, this is where BlackBerry can get their hands in and get them dirty.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 07:42 AM
    I bet nobody will say:
    "Too little too late"
    "There isn't any room for a third ecosystem"

Posted via CB10
    Oh im willing to bet on THIS!

06-02-14 07:43 AM
    Tizen is going to be just like Bada. They want to be the cellphone monolith but they bite the hand that feeds. Without Android, I can't see Samsung keeping their popularity.

Just my opinion of course.

Sent from the bigger Berry using Tapatalk.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    06-02-14 07:44 AM
    I believe BB10 is already there with HTML5 Apps.

Even Samsung is concerned about loss of brand ID. Many android users have no idea what brand of phone they carry. they know its an Android, ironically many don;t kow Android is Google. But then again many don't know what Google is either.

Techies live in another world where all the matters.

I read years ago the Mercedes Benz wanted all brandings emphasis to be on the word Mercedes ... and it works , every Mercedes owner says they own a Mercedes and barely mention the model number.

Samsung wants to be in that space.

If HTML5 Apps is part of that then all the better for BB10.

Smasung has 30+% of the global market . If they say HTML5 Apps please. There will be HTML 5 Apps. They should work via BBW as well
    06-02-14 07:52 AM
    I believe BB10 is already there with HTML5 Apps.

Even Samsung is concerned about loss of brand ID. Many android users have no idea what brand of phone they carry. they know its an Android, ironically many don;t kow Android is Google. But then again many don't know what Google is either.

Techies live in another world where all the matters.

I read years ago the Mercedes Benz wanted all brandings emphasis to be on the word Mercedes ... and it works , every Mercedes owner says they own a Mercedes and barely mention the model number.

Samsung wants to be in that space.

If HTML5 Apps is part of that then all the better for BB10.

Smasung has 30+% of the global market . If they say HTML5 Apps please. There will be HTML 5 Apps. They should work via BBW as well
    06-02-14 07:53 AM
    Can BlackBerry 10 use webapps like native as shown on the engadged video of tizen?

Definitely. Those nice HTML5 apps that will be in the Tizen store will run seamlessly on any BB10 if I understand this correctly.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-02-14 07:59 AM
    So if it has an android runtime that means the end of android devices for Sammy? That would break the OHA?
    06-02-14 07:59 AM
    Yes, I believe if Tizen has an Android runtime it will violate the terms of the OHA. However I don't believe Tizen has any Android runtime, but I may well be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    06-02-14 08:12 AM
    Yes, I believe if Tizen has an Android runtime it will violate the terms of the OHA. However I don't believe Tizen has any Android runtime, but I may well be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    So gents the real questions now:

Are html5 web apps the future? If so:

Why arent they universally used yet?

BlackBerry 10 is already there.

06-02-14 08:24 AM
47 12