Just wanted to inform about an interesting little side business that I was notified about.

I have absolutely ZERO financial interest in said business, and have no idea how far it's gotten (or whether or not it will actually happen).

They are taking Passport hardware, removing the internal storage (thereby not needing to circumvent BlackBerry security - encryption, bootloader lock, or trusted boot), and replacing it with new memory/firmware.

It is then proposed to install Android 9 on said hardware.

Now I can't speak to how they will obtain all of the necessary hardware drivers (including the keyboard), how Pie will run on a 32-bit SoC from 2014, how they plan to implement a system to zoom some apps for 1:1 display, or what kind of quality control and warranty they will provide.

I also wonder about cost, and potential legal issues.

In any event, check it out:

https://www.androidonpassport.com/
    Last edited by conite; 08-31-21 at 07:36 PM.
    08-31-21 04:22 PM
    I'll believe it when I see it but thanks. Coming Soon...............where have we heard this?
    ucghandyman likes this.
    08-31-21 04:59 PM
    Let’s hope spellcheck on the device will be better than what they used to post…

“ We have chosen to take on the impossible task of bringing Goggles Android™ 9 OS
    to BlackBerry Passport® Phones.”
    08-31-21 05:11 PM
    what's wrong with goggles? that's what they should have called their google "glass" product. thanks for catching that.
    brookie229 likes this.
    08-31-21 05:52 PM
    what's wrong with goggles? that's what they should have called their google "glass" product. thanks for catching that.
    Any idea (rough) on conversion prices?
    08-31-21 06:28 PM
    Cool idea. How about also for other BBOS/BB10 devices? I guess maybe the passport is a logical first litmus test to gauge level of interest. There must be something with the frame on the bottom also changed, to account for the different USB port cutout. I guess the market for used passports is going to go up. Long Live BlackBerry.
    ucghandyman likes this.
    08-31-21 06:54 PM
    Cool idea. How about also for other BBOS/BB10 devices? I guess maybe the passport is a logical first litmus test to gauge level of interest. There must be something with the frame on the bottom also changed, to account for the different USB port cutout. I guess the market for used passports is going to go up. Long Live BlackBerry.
    The Snapdragon S4 would explode trying to run Android 9.
    ucghandyman likes this.
    08-31-21 07:04 PM
    still wont work in the US carriers either
    Tjtb likes this.
    08-31-21 07:05 PM
    Just wanted to inform about an interesting little side business that I was notified about.

I have absolutely ZERO interest in said business, and have no idea how far it's gotten (or whether or not it will actually happen).

They are taking Passport hardware, removing the internal storage (thereby not needing to circumvent BlackBerry security - encryption, bootloader lock, or trusted boot), and replacing it with new memory/firmware.

It is then proposed to install Android 9 on said hardware.

Now I can't speak to how they will obtain all of the necessary hardware drivers (including the keyboard), how Pie will run on a 32-bit SoC from 2014, how they plan to implement a system to zoom some apps for 1:1 display, or what kind of quality control and warranty they will provide.

I also wonder about cost, and potential legal issues.

In any event, check it out:

https://www.androidonpassport.com/

I also have nothing to do or gain with this project, however I do feel it's a very interesting product that I'm going to consider depending on final cost.

For so many here that claim the Passport is "the device", I'd encourage you to lend your support as much here as you've given to Onward Mobility and their project.

I do consider the communication and presentation above what I've seen from Onward Mobility as of now, from introduction at least.
    Laura Knotek and Trouveur like this.
    08-31-21 07:08 PM
    All I know is that if the person behind this project makes this happen, I will be buying a Passport Silver and running it again.

Only question is how Android 9 will run on the Snapdragon 801 that's found in 2014's flagships such as the Galaxy S5.
    08-31-21 07:24 PM
    The Snapdragon S4 would explode trying to run Android 9.
    So what. Maybe they'll figure that out (if this goes anywhere) and then that will kill this idea. Or, maybe they'll figure out something else. Other than the other guy that posted recently with his wireshark findings and for diverting time traffic to his own timeserver scheme to get around the problem he was having, and the SES attempt to do something, your OP posting in this thread on this subject has probably been one of a very few cool new interesting things to think about from the CB postings.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-31-21 07:25 PM
    So what. Maybe they'll figure that out (if this goes anywhere) and then that will kill this idea. Or, maybe they'll figure out something else. Other than the other guy that posted recently with his wireshark findings and for diverting time traffic to his own timeserver scheme to get around the problem he was having, and the SES attempt to do something, your OP posting in this thread on this subject has probably been one of a very few cool new interesting things to think about from the CB postings.
    I'm saying the S4 wouldn't be able to even start with Android 9. It has about a tenth of the necessary processing power.

I'm even highly skeptical of the 801 in the Passport. It will likely function, but I wouldn't want to be in a rush to do anything on it.

Android has been designed to run on multi-core 64-bit hardware for 6 years now.

But yes, I wouldn't have started this thread if I wasn't interested in what might come of this.
    08-31-21 07:30 PM
    This is my new favourite thread, for now.
    androidonpassport likes this.
    08-31-21 07:39 PM
    I'm saying the S4 wouldn't be able to even start with Android 9. It has about a tenth of the necessary processing power.

I'm even highly skeptical of the 801 in the Passport. It will likely function, but I wouldn't want to be in a rush to do anything on it.

But yes, I wouldn't have started this thread if I wasn't interested in what might come of this.
    The SD801 isn't 64-bit?
    08-31-21 09:29 PM
    The SD801 isn't 64-bit?
    Nope.

The 808/810 was the first.
    Last edited by conite; 08-31-21 at 09:42 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-31-21 09:30 PM
    still wont work in the US carriers either

Greetings. Yes (so far) on AT&T and T-mobile. 4g on both, VoLTE on TM. Working on build.prop spoof to get on VZW. More to come
    Last edited by androidonpassport; 09-01-21 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Forgot quote
    09-01-21 05:36 AM
    Any idea (rough) on conversion prices?

Please fill out inquiry at bottom of my services page. I would appreciate feedback on what this is worth to you all. This is a limited run I am aiming to deliver. The more people that show an interest, the more bulk parts I can acquire leading to lower end user cost. It takes me about 4-6 hours per phone (SE version) to modify.
    Last edited by androidonpassport; 09-01-21 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Forgot quote
    09-01-21 05:42 AM
    I also have nothing to do or gain with this project, however I do feel it's a very interesting product that I'm going to consider depending on final cost.

For so many here that claim the Passport is "the device", I'd encourage you to lend your support as much here as you've given to Onward Mobility and their project.

I do consider the communication and presentation above what I've seen from Onward Mobility as of now, from introduction at least.

Thank you for your support. Look at this as a resto-mod on a classic car. Same old chassis, just added more HP (more ram) , new car stereo (android 9 OS) and converted ac from R12 refrigerant to R134a (micro USB to USB-C) and of course, a new battery.
    Last edited by androidonpassport; 09-01-21 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Forgot quote
    09-01-21 05:51 AM
    Greetings. Yes (so far) on AT&T and T-mobile. 4g on both, VoLTE on TM. Working on build.prop spoof to get on VZW. More to come
    You have done this and then were able to active an Android Passport on AT&T?

If so post some videos showing it in action, as they would help folks to see how well it performs on Android 9.
    09-01-21 07:19 AM
    Hello. In due time. Don't want to disappoint everyone showing off buggy alpha code. When my beta is ready. I will ship an SE to Conite to review. Im sure you'll take his word over mine. What I would like though, is to have my own thread in the BlackBerry Passport forum. If only a moderator would approve it, I would gladly show step by step how I do what I am doing. If you are a moderator and reading this, please pm me so you can help me get the thread up. Thank you all for your interest. This is as fun for me, as it is interesting for you.
    09-01-21 07:34 AM

Maybe the Android Go Edition of Android 9?

Not sure of what you lose or the limitations, but it's designed for more basic hardware - but yeah current basic hardware, not almost decade old hardware.

They need to take it a step further and replace.... everything inside the body of the Passport. Mix a little Raspberry with the BlackBerry.....
    09-01-21 08:57 AM
    WOW! Thats sweet!
    09-01-21 09:32 AM
    That would be really cool to have a more modern Android Version on the Passport!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-21 01:00 PM
    Hello. In due time. Don't want to disappoint everyone showing off buggy alpha code. When my beta is ready. I will ship an SE to Conite to review. Im sure you'll take his word over mine. What I would like though, is to have my own thread in the BlackBerry Passport forum. If only a moderator would approve it, I would gladly show step by step how I do what I am doing. If you are a moderator and reading this, please pm me so you can help me get the thread up. Thank you all for your interest. This is as fun for me, as it is interesting for you.
    Nothing stopping you from opening your own thread. You don't need a mod approval to kick off your own thread. If you're asking for it to be stickied at the top, that's the only thing you need a mod for. In which case, make it worth being a sticky. As it stands right now, you have a website and you're telling folks you can do this. There's lots of sites and blogs out there promising to root BlackBerry devices, etc. For example: This nonsense - https://albastuz3d.net/how-to-root-blackberry-passport/. Got to show you're not just blowing smoke.
    09-01-21 01:04 PM
    Nothing stopping you from opening your own thread. You don't need a mod approval to kick off your own thread. If you're asking for it to be stickied at the top, that's the only thing you need a mod for. In which case, make it worth being a sticky. As it stands right now, you have a website and you're telling folks you can do this. There's lots of sites and blogs out there promising to root BlackBerry devices, etc. For example: This nonsense - https://albastuz3d.net/how-to-root-blackberry-passport/. Got to show you're not just blowing smoke.
    Hello Bla1ze. No smoke here.

I have submitted a new thread request in the BlackBerry Passport section of the forum and once it's up, I will move the conversation over there.

Thank you all.
    09-01-21 02:42 PM
26 12