https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=5921

I'm not sure what precisely you can do with this yet, but it's mobile and has a physical keyboard, so I thought that it might interest the techies among us.

Note that it's not a phone. It's not meant to be a phone. It doesn't claim to be a phone. Just making that clear, given nature of the conflict-prone rabble who hang out in this place.

There's also an interesting reference to another project called Betrusted, which might be of interest.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    09-19-20 07:26 PM
    Cool looking thing to play with
    09-19-20 07:30 PM
    I am not sure what that is.
    09-19-20 07:31 PM
    I used a similar device by the now defunct maker CHIP. This looks better and answers to the short falls of the device I once used for my Bash scripting and FBC programming adventures.
    09-19-20 07:38 PM
    I remember that device. I bought a Pinephone around Xmas last year (got it later) and I'm waiting for the keyboard, which is supposed to be a Psion or HPC-like setup. But I'd be interested in this if it had a linux distro and I could administer my server from it / surf gopher holes / and do other nerdy stuff.
    09-19-20 07:52 PM
    I thought I'd dig around my archives for a photo of the unit when I was using it. This photo was taken from my KeyOne just before my heart surgery. I had the device setup to the hospitals wifi and used sendmail to send messages to family and friends. I also had a script that auto dialed fax numbers over a fax over IP service at the command line level. In the event of my passing I had assigned someone to hit the switch for that final action. Just a lot of important stuff I had left unfinished.

Precursor hacking platform-62082124_10156862441971348_6115491430401048576_o.jpg
    Shuswap likes this.
    09-19-20 08:21 PM
    I thought I'd dig around my archives for a photo of the unit when I was using it. This photo was taken from my KeyOne just before my heart surgery. I had the device setup to the hospitals wifi and used sendmail to send messages to family and friends. I also had a script that auto dialed fax numbers over a fax over IP service at the command line level. In the event of my passing I had assigned someone to hit the switch for that final action. Just a lot of important stuff I had left unfinished.
    Wow. That's impressive and a hell of a story. Glad you made it through!

I've always thought Pine/Alpine would be a great console mail client on a small device like that, but I haven't used it for a few years now.
    09-19-20 08:30 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62082124_10156862441971348_6115491430401048576_o.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	449549
    Glad it wasn't necessary... Hope you're remaining safe
    09-19-20 09:13 PM
    I remember that device. I bought a Pinephone around Xmas last year (got it later) and I'm waiting for the keyboard, which is supposed to be a Psion or HPC-like setup. But I'd be interested in this if it had a linux distro and I could administer my server from it / surf gopher holes / and do other nerdy stuff.
    Current plans are to build a Nokia like slider shell which replaces the back case. They're taking in layout submissions, I think November they'll finalize the concept and start designing engineering samples. We'll probably get them next year.

The Psion keyboard, as far as I have heard, is pushed back, probably until there is an entire phone update. After the Nokia like at least.

https://www.pine64.org/2020/07/29/in...to-play-along/

Posted via CB10
    10-02-20 10:32 AM
    Current plans are to build a Nokia like slider shell which replaces the back case. They're taking in layout submissions, I think November they'll finalize the concept and start designing engineering samples. We'll probably get them next year.

The Psion keyboard, as far as I have heard, is pushed back, probably until there is an entire phone update. After the Nokia like at least.

https://www.pine64.org/2020/07/29/in...to-play-along/

Posted via CB10
    Well, that's just depressing.
    10-02-20 11:11 PM
    Well, that's just depressing.
    Considering this virus stuff, it's better than nothing at least. The couple layout options I've seen for the nokia-like cover all the needed keys for acsii computer use. Big upgrade for me trying to do terminal work from my Passport.

But yeah, Psion-like is delayed considerably since it will have to be a fully custom design, which is hampered by travel restrictions.

Still will get both though when they're out.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-20 02:14 AM
    Considering this virus stuff, it's better than nothing at least. The couple layout options I've seen for the nokia-like cover all the needed keys for acsii computer use. Big upgrade for me trying to do terminal work from my Passport.

But yeah, Psion-like is delayed considerably since it will have to be a fully custom design, which is hampered by travel restrictions.

Still will get both though when they're out.

Posted via CB10
    I still have a Jornada 680. I've been pining for a replacement (pardon the pun), but I wanted a full Linux desktop, not Android. I guess I'll put it in the drawer of lost causes and hope that it comes back out...
    10-03-20 08:23 PM