My very old S7 Edge has received another security update and bugs fixation from Samsung after more than 4 years, while my almost brand new Key2 Red Edition isn't likely to receive any update.
    Kudos to Samsung.

After 4 years, Samsung is still sending updates to S7-screenshot_20200226-084055_software-update.jpg
    02-26-20 08:23 AM
    that is what billions of $$$ coming in from your phone business does.
    02-26-20 08:32 AM
    Good for Samsung. I think we all understood that BlackBerry Mobile would not provide updates for more than two years for their phones unless they were successful and continued to release new devices.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    02-26-20 08:33 AM
    2015 the Android game was very different and there was a place for the idea of BlackBerry's Android Secure.

But Android is continuously evolving.... there was never a chance of BlackBerry going head to head with Samsung (or even Google) in the enterprise market.

Ten years from now it might be Android devices being supported for eight years and Apple's paltry five years will seem a joke??
    02-26-20 08:34 AM
    Good for Samsung. I think we all understood that BlackBerry Mobile would not provide updates for more than two years for their phones unless they were successful and continued to release new devices.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    I'm not sure if we stopped receiving updates at this point, but neither Key2 nor Key LE have finished their two years of that support.
    02-26-20 08:54 AM
    2015 the Android game was very different and there was a place for the idea of BlackBerry's Android Secure.

But Android is continuously evolving.... there was never a chance of BlackBerry going head to head with Samsung (or even Google) in the enterprise market.

Ten years from now it might be Android devices being supported for eight years and Apple's paltry five years will seem a joke??
    I only see Samsung and Nokia besides Google that truly support their phones for three years.
    Samsung is now supporting their flagship phones for four years.

These companies are not only sending security updates, but also many firmwares of bug fixes, stability improvements, additional features and others.

Who else?
    Probably Sony, OnePlus, and the defunct Essential.

But all other manufacturers are not doing that good regarding the support of their devices.
    02-26-20 08:59 AM
    But all other manufacturers are not doing that good regarding the support of their devices.
    I've had 3 years + support/updates on my Huawei P9. Received (probably the last) a security patch to Dec 2019 in January. I am also able to go to Oreo (3rd android OS ) but I'm staying with Nougat for now. The device came with Marsh when new.
    02-26-20 09:10 AM
    Three years on my Oneplus 3T. Amazing phone
    02-26-20 12:29 PM
    Support has become more the norm today... unless your starting out with a budget phone. Even Samsung doesn't update all their phones in the same way.
    02-26-20 01:09 PM
    The S7 is on the quarterly security update schedule (started last year) until later this year when they end.

The S8 will probably start on the quarterly schedule soon, if not already.

No doubt it's better than most devices not named Apple or Pixel get.
    John Albert likes this.
    02-26-20 05:15 PM
    Doesn't matter how recent the updates are when the battery barely lasts for 5 hours on an S7 these days
    02-26-20 07:57 PM