Now if they sell this every weekend I'll be impressed.
    No, you won't.
    The Gift and Fidel Mercado like this.
    09-23-13 09:01 AM
    I wonder if they'll write a story about the sales in the second weekend. Amazing how media falls for this obviously planned hype. Apple is using the same approach as movie studios. They used to have a rolled release, now openings are the same date all over the world for blockbusters. Reason: if reviews are bad people have already gone so it doesn't matter.

Here's a headline you'll read later this year: iPhone 5s fails to halt Apple's decline in market share of smartphones. Sorry Mikeo007, but even you know it's true. If you don't think so count yourself as an apple fan boy.
    You're trying too hard, kiddo.

The smartphone market is expanding, and Android phones are scooping up most of the sales in emerging countries. Not even extreme innovation can triumph over the Android machine at this point.
    Your problem is that you equate decline in marketshare to decline in sales. They aren't the same thing. Apple still posts record sales per quarter.

More importantly, even with a reduced marketshare, Apple still posts the lion's share of mobile profits.

They have a niche and they stick to it. They don't want to be the 'cheap' brand. they are skilled at maintaining that niche and building on it.

BlackBerry had a niche too. They sold their phones to 'people who get things done'. But now people are getting things done more efficiently and for far cheaper than BlackBerry phones...so they are flailing. Don't be so salty.
    09-23-13 09:02 AM
    How long have you used BlackBerry phones?
    Probably too long, but I still love my Z10 (but, since 2003 to be precise). My wife has an S4 and my daughter iPhone 5. Both of which are great phones, but not my preference.

I know ios7 is a solid OS, I was simply stating my opinion on the looks. And, if I owned one I would probably have to paint the screen or something. If I was a 12 year old girl I could probably appreciate the pastels, but I am an angry 48 year old man.
    beamolite and Sarmmiy like this.
    09-23-13 09:07 AM
    I saw a guy with a iphone 5C shattered screen
    09-23-13 09:09 AM
    I'm very impressed. I really love Blackberry (I'm actually getting a Q10 this weekend as I can't keep using my DAC or I'll cry if it gets a scratch) but we can see the difference between Apple and Blackberry here. They announce a phone, set a release date, launch on time, at the same time in most countries... Blackberry let everyone leak their new phone's pictures and even videos showing everything, then take years to announce it, set a release date, then of course have delays and don't launch it on time, when they finally launch it, it's only in one or two countries. A month later in another country...
    damien kupuku and beamolite like this.
    09-23-13 09:15 AM
    People ALWAYS want in on the newest thing. In 2007 the late Steve Jobs told people that they had to have iPhone, and it's been society's addiction ever since. The marketing scheme was absolutely brilliant, they copy WebOS and tell everyone that they've pretty much invented multitasking, they put a notifications shade in, and you guessed it improved the smart phone user experience; It's the greatest mind-fuk of the century!! I give em' credit though despite all of the obvious short comings of the iPhone, people must have it anyway.
    09-23-13 09:20 AM
    Settle down champ. Android phones are made by dozens of manufacturers, across all phone tiers. Compare high-end to high-end and nothing comes close to these numbers.

As for "most sold to existing iPhone owners"...love to see your proof of that. Go ahead and try to find a random google link with a survey using a tiny sample size, I'll wait.
    Trying to be objective on here is like pissing in the wind. I hate Apple but they do things right (perfect, no). The other guy is right, they won't sell 9 million next weekend...because they're sold out!!! but they will sell 10's of millions once they are back in stock.

Posted via CB10
    xandermac likes this.
    09-23-13 09:24 AM
    Impressive for sure (be lieing if I said I'm not envious of those sales numbers)....but mind boggling as well, not sure if the improvement in 5S over 5 warrants this.....but hey, what the heck. Good for Apple, they put themselves in this position.

I see buying a phone now a days like buying a car. I have to ask myself, if I bought Brand A, Model X vehicle, paid monthly for set amount of time (the term), would I then knowing I would have to recommit to term to buy the same Brand and model if the changes only included a better stereo, new wheels but looked and drove mostly the same? I guess if you really like the car ...... dunno.

I suppose and might assume a good chunk of upadates must be 4S and older, which can justify the end game (ie bigger screen, lighter, thinner...etc).....again dunno. All I know is BB would dream to have these kinds of numbers
    09-23-13 09:34 AM
    Double Post Removed
    xandermac likes this.
    09-23-13 09:38 AM
    I saw a guy with a iphone 5C shattered screen
    I saw a guy with a shattered pelvis. We going somewhere with this?
    09-23-13 09:43 AM
    There's so many quips on this thread about "toys, crap, same thing every year" I picked up the 5s and 5c this weekend and I'll tell you this.
    Both had every app that I have been patiently waiting to come to BB, and to boot there was a software os update waiting as soon as I set up both phones.
    All contact and calendar entries populated after setting up email accounts, those emails accounts going back as far as 2008 they went further but I tired of scrolling.
    I still have my Q and 9900, but now I don't feel as behind the curve anymore.
    09-23-13 09:49 AM
    Apple knows how to do business period! I don't care how many people say they're not innovative, their customers don't share your sentiments. Remembering that Apple customers are mostly simple people with simple non techie needs, especially a phone that works, is reliable, looks and feels premium. Not my cup of tea as a full qwerty person and being totally sold out for BB10, but they know how to do this business!
    09-23-13 09:52 AM
    You are kidding I hope. Do you know there are almost a billion android phones out there 9 million is a spit in the bucket and most sold to existing iPhone owners. Now if they sell this every weekend I'll be impressed.
    Apple makes the most profit of all the Mobile Manufactures. Like it or not....the business behind it it's pretty impressive.
    Being a fan of a certain product is one thing but playing down competitors success is just plain ignorant.
    helio9965 likes this.
    09-23-13 09:53 AM
    I admit, I'm not a fan of the iPhone and I would never own one. But those are impressive numbers and you have to admit, Apple knows what they're doing. They've got a cult following to the point where it's kind of sad that anyone would follow a company, any company, to these lengths.

I have to say, the colour scheme and look of the iOS7 UI is pretty tacky. It looks very feminine and childish at the same time.
    Obviously productivity is most important, but it doesn't exactly give the aura of a business device when you look at it. I'd be somewhat embarrassed having people see me with a phone with a UI like that at my age.
    09-23-13 09:53 AM
    Not exactly impressed as my predictions estimated big numbers. There seems to be a lot of "brand new fully sealed" iPhone5s' on ebay.
    If you are not impressed with those numbers what you think of Blackberries the first weekend or even first quarter they were on sale?
    Why do you think those iPhones are on Ebay? Everybody wants one and will pay a premium price. My god you guys wake up!!!
    kidplanet likes this.
    09-23-13 09:57 AM
    This is stunning. I didn't expect that level of success. Apple are really the top dogs at executing.....nothing comes close. I purchased a 5s this weekend and love all things about it, a significant upgrade from my 4s.
    This is what I wish BBRY could be, because they put out very strong products now since launching z and Q 10. Yes I am an Apple fan and Apple always delivers for me, but I have to admit that the difference in sales volume between the two companies in no way reflects the difference in quality of products. Wish somebody could teach the folks at Waterloo how to execute!!!!
    beamolite likes this.
    09-23-13 10:22 AM
    And there goes BBRY failing cross platform BBM launch, and talking about the Z30 a device that's basicly a bigger Z10.. mann they are failing on an epic level..

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-23-13 10:44 AM
    All blinded by hype and marketing. Previous first weekend sales didn't include pre-orders sales. This time round no pre-order sales allowed, so more people were having to buy instead, boosting sales figures. As quickly as a shop would run out, it is restocked. All the hype about running out is just marketing to get people to the shops quicker. Its very clever but what are they going to do next year when people finally realise that the iPhone is not much better than the ones it replaces. Their marketshare is reducing and yet everyone seems to think that ios/android is a duopoly, its monopoly by android 80% vs 13%. IOS isn't dominating, anyone who thinks that is also being duped by the hype
    09-23-13 11:01 AM
    Wow, well said (in 2012).

All blinded by hype and marketing. Previous first weekend sales didn't include pre-orders sales. This time round no pre-order sales allowed, so more people were having to buy instead, boosting sales figures. As quickly as a shop would run out, it is restocked. All the hype about running out is just marketing to get people to the shops quicker. Its very clever but what are they going to do next year when people finally realise that the iPhone is not much better than the ones it replaces. Their marketshare is reducing and yet everyone seems to think that ios/android is a duopoly, its monopoly by android 80% vs 13%. IOS isn't dominating, anyone who thinks that is also being duped by the hype

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    09-23-13 11:03 AM
    That is a pretty major edit from your original post. Too many people taking offence at being called stupid?
    09-23-13 11:05 AM
    That is a pretty major edit from your original post. Too many people taking offence at being called stupid?
    Huh? When did the post call anyone stupid?

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-23-13 11:07 AM
    Your brain playing tricks on you? I added the imore link. That was the only edit.
    09-23-13 11:09 AM
    I admit, I'm not a fan of the iPhone and I would never own one. But those are impressive numbers and you have to admit, Apple knows what they're doing. They've got a cult following to the point where it's kind of sad that anyone would follow a company, any company, to these lengths.

I have to say, the colour scheme and look of the iOS7 UI is pretty tacky. It looks very feminine and childish at the same time.
    Obviously productivity is most important, but it doesn't exactly give the aura of a business device when you look at it. I'd be somewhat embarrassed having people see me with a phone with a UI like that at my age.
    You are really overthinking it. I can't say that I have ever seen anyone actually looking at my phone when I use it. And I doubt they would be looking at yours.
    09-23-13 11:12 AM
    Don't worry people... this is just a passing phase. let's look for the iSheep reactions when 10 million z30s sell in Q4. There is a lot of demand in Malaysia and Indonesia - my BBM friends have told me

*sarcasm*
    09-23-13 11:15 AM
    Don't worry people... this is just a passing phase. let's look for the iSheep reactions when 10 million z30s sell in Q4. There is a lot of demand in Malaysia and Indonesia - my BBM friends have told me

*sarcasm*
    ha. I love that the sarcasm tag is necesarry around here these days.

tapped using Android Runtime CBForums from my PlayBook
    09-23-13 11:26 AM
94 1234