10-18-13 12:13 PM
97 ... 234
tools
    well considering many many people on CB alone have stated many times that iPhones are overpriced, I think that's your answer.

Look at android devices, a far greater spec device can be had for the same cost as a BB10 device. with the absoloute lack of advertising, customers simply cant see any added benefit that perceived lack of specs brings, to them its more expensive and not as well specced.

Also lets be very very clear here, its the people who don't own a BB10 device who`s opinions matter the MOST, not the least like you say. THEY are what the target market should be if BlackBerry wants to enlarge its userbase. The best thing to ask them is why they aren't considering BlackBerry 10 devices. if they say price, apps or lack of product knowledge then THAT is the reason they aren't selling.

Its not about knowing why people are buying your stuff, its about knowing why people aren't buying your stuff.
    I guess then that things must be completely different in your part of the world than mine. Where I live the "average" cellphone user couldn't tell you the difference in specs from a apple phone and an apple you bite into. What makes them buy an iPhone or Android over BlackBerry, because tech "journalists" tell them too.

I find it odd that there are so many users of BlackBerry devices, and developers for BlackBerry devices, complaining about BlackBerry devices. So there are users in the CB forum that say that the iPhone is overpriced? I guess that's why they never bought an Iphone then. Yet strangely enough I doubt price was a deciding factor to those that bought and iPhone because they are probably not buying them outright, they are buying them (or Mom and Dad are buyging them for them) under contract so they can get them out the door. At one point the 4 people in my household used to all be BlackBerry users. As my daughters got older they became increasingly dissatisfied with their BlackBerry devices and when I asked them why, they didn't quote specs, or price, they said because the iPhone was so "cool". What did cool mean to them? It meant they had tons of apps. Oddly enough I looked at my youngest daughters iPhone the other day and found that other than FaceBook she had 4 apps on her phone. (and not one of them were the "big ones" i.e. Netflix, Skype, Instagram etc.) My best friend used to use BlackBerry but switched to iPhone a few years back when she had problems with her Torch 9860. She wanted more choice in apps and really knew nothing about specs. She switched to iPhone and is very happy with it to this day, but again, has hardly any extra apps on her phone other than FaceBook.

You are completly right when you say that there is a "lack of advertising" but don't believe for a second that because there isn't advertising that the average person on the street equates that to better specs or pricing on Androids part. BlackBerry is everybodies "whipping boy" right now and BlackBerry is failing in doing anything about that. It's too bad the CBC article didn't interview the real "average user on the street" (18-25 year olds) They would have gotten a completely different set of answers than "it's a desperate ploy". More likely they would of hear "BlackBerry sucks" and when asked why they feel that way, they would have gotten a completely irrelivant answer without any foundation to back it.

There was a movie out several years ago called The American President that had a quote in it that sums things up quite nicely I think when discussing why the current President was losing in popularity in the poles:

Lewis Rothschild: They don't have a choice! Bob Rumson is the only one doing the talking! People want leadership, Mr. President, and in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

President Andrew Shepherd: Lewis, we've had presidents who were beloved, who couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

The average cellphone user drinks the sand because they don't know the difference"

Mike
    Last edited by Mike_Luchia; 10-16-13 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
    10-16-13 05:25 AM
    If I buy a BB10 phone, what's it got to do with BlackBerry going down, other than losing support? Its not like a phone losing support has never happened in the past now, or is it that fundamentally different?

then again, since you said its "futile" to calm the people down, what do you expect them to do? roll up and die?

You may glee about it, but I don't think any businesses that still have the will to keep surviving should be denied. In this case, its still an idea and a step done, when people seem to think that nothing can be done; at least they done / did something. Or nothing be allowed to done for the matter.
    Then why haven't you?
    10-16-13 05:53 AM
    I assure you, people will continue to kick somebody / something that's already down, just to have a fit / go at displaying their pseudo-superiority, evidently much displayed here at Crackberry.com forum users.
    And You Sir are the perfect example of what you just said.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-16-13 06:30 AM
    Then why haven't you?
    I just bought a PlayBook, and I don't think I can afford to splurge on a z30, yet. That thing cost me about 1 month's wage, its a lot to save. *wink*. Slowly getting there though! But hey, its still a BlackBerry device!

And You Sir are the perfect example of what you just said.
    Oh really? Then you must be epitome of "I must be right because I said so" or "I'm better than you are because now I'm saying you're wrong", or both together rolled into one. Would you like to extend a thought on that? I would sure be looking forward to that.
    10-16-13 06:55 AM
    I just bought a PlayBook, and I don't think I can afford to splurge on a z30, yet. That thing cost me about 1 month's wage, its a lot to save. *wink*. Slowly getting there though! But hey, its still a BlackBerry device!
    What about the z10/q10/q5?

You seem very passionate and vocal about bb10, yet it's very strange that you don't have a bb10 device. (Playbook is not BB10)

Blackberry was offering 63% off a z30 and a free z10 a week ago in Malaysia.
    I know a lot of ardent blackberry fans on this board that would have _________ for the opportunity to own multiple bb10 devices at fire sale prices. (You could have sold the z10 & the Alecia keys tickets to recoup your costs).

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-16-13 07:26 AM
    What about the z10/q10/q5?

You seem very passionate and vocal about bb10, yet it's very strange that you don't have a bb10 device. (Playbook is not BB10)

I know a lot of ardent blackberry fans on this board that would have _________ for the opportunity to own multiple bb10 devices at fire sale prices. (You could have sold the z10 & the Alecia keys tickets to recoup your costs).

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
    I like one of the phones. If I had the money, maybe I will upgrade. But why upgrade when my current phone (BlackBerry Torch 9800) is still going strong? The only mechanism that's broken is the trackpad.

By the way, it isn't
    It is CELCOM MALAYSIA, using its 14 days exclusivity, to start offering

a) 1 BB Z30 phone at the price of 7xx, with a 2 year contract. First 200 customers gets a free z10 thrown in.
    or
    b) 1 BB Z30 phone at the price of 9xx with a 2 year contract. May be eligible to purchase a Z10 for the price of RM9xx.
    or
    c) 1 BB z30 phone at the price of RM8xx with 2 year contract.

I don't see BlackBerry selling the phones at discounts. As a matter of fact it is a CELCOM (carrier) event, not a BlackBerry event, on that launch day.

Since you seem to be hinting that I ought to get one myself, and I have mentioned that I can't, you're interested in getting me one?
    10-16-13 07:47 AM
    I don't see BlackBerry selling the phones at discounts. As a matter of fact it is a CELCOM (carrier) event, not a BlackBerry event, on that launch day.
    you honestly think celcom `took one for the team` and didn't have a deal set up with BlackBerry to share the burden of that initial deal?
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-16-13 07:55 AM
    you honestly think celcom `took one for the team` and didn't have a deal set up with BlackBerry to share the burden of that initial deal?
    if ground reports are to be believed from the guys at bbugmy team whom were there (they are also in this forum). More of a carrier led event than a BlackBerry event.

If its a BlackBerry event, then its more likely to be like way how they ran the unveiling event . As far as I know, BlackBerry cannot sell phones directly in the country. They have to appoint distributors, in which there are

*BRIGHTSTAR <--- Appointed main distributor
    BRIGHTPOINT <---Contracted distributor
    (Insert all carriers) <---- (Still have to go through either one of the above distributors)

Currently there's an ongoing "bring your own device to trade in to a BlackBerry z10" campaign, which is done by one of the distributors.

They will still have to "take one for the team". Unless Brightstar/Brightpoint is willing to do that for them, to which I don't see why they would do it. Street "AP" devices will lowest "distributor based" price, with zero warranty. In which ironically, Brightstar is also the sole appointed main channel distributor for LG handheld devices.
    10-16-13 08:18 AM
    I like one of the phones. If I had the money, maybe I will upgrade. But why upgrade when my current phone (BlackBerry Torch 9800) is still going strong? The only mechanism that's broken is the trackpad.
    Your conviction seems to be waning.

You have a 9800 with a broken trackpad and you don't really see value in upgrading to bb10 with your hard earned money.

Isn't that blackberry's problem in a nutshell?
    Consumers are well aware of bb10, they just don't feel it deserves the upgrade.

It is CELCOM MALAYSIA, using its 14 days exclusivity, to start offering

a) 1 BB Z30 phone at the price of 7xx, with a 2 year contract. First 200 customers gets a free z10 thrown in.
    or
    b) 1 BB Z30 phone at the price of 9xx with a 2 year contract. May be eligible to purchase a Z10 for the price of RM9xx.
    or
    c) 1 BB z30 phone at the price of RM8xx with 2 year contract.

This was the deal I was referring to:
    Option A: for about 130 - 150 pounds, you get a z30 on a 2year contract plus a free z10.

You could have sold the z30 to offset the cost of the contract and kept the z10.

It all depends on the strength of your conviction Of course.

Since you seem to be hinting that I ought to get one myself, and I have mentioned that I can't wouldn't,
    I'm not hinting.
    I find it hypocritical that you vehemently defend blackberry 10 when you don't have a BB10 device. it also sounds like you wouldn't waste an upgrade on one.

It's very telling for blackberry and what's to come.

you're interested in getting me one?
    Fret not, I'm sure you will be able to pick up a BB10 device after the 4th of November, at a considerable discount.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-16-13 10:23 AM
    Excellent
    10-16-13 12:57 PM
    Wow at some of the responses here. It was editorial satire, enjoy it for what it was.
    10-16-13 01:19 PM
    Your conviction seems to be waning.

You have a 9800 with a broken trackpad and you don't really see value in upgrading to bb10 with your hard earned money.

Isn't that blackberry's problem in a nutshell?
    Consumers are well aware of bb10, they just don't feel it deserves the upgrade.
    My conviction is waning? I don't know any convictions you're saying, but I do enjoy BlackBerry phones. I like them as they are. Though I really like the Torch 9800 form factor.

Oh, by the way, it isnt' BlackBerry's fault. If I wanted I can justify tightening my stomach for few months and get a z30. Just that I think it isn't worth killing myself softly over that. I don't want to behave like the some of the cartoons depicted in the Oatmeal, though I've got my own fair share of seeing people that are nearly in that extremes. So, nah. Not BlackBerry's fault. I'm not affected much by marketing.

This was the deal I was referring to:
    Option A: for about 130 - 150 pounds, you get a z30 on a 2year contract plus a free z10.

You could have sold the z30 to offset the cost of the contract and kept the z10.

It all depends on the strength of your conviction Of course.
    Fair suggestion, but I'm afraid it doesn't offset much, at least when you take the entire 2 years's cost of ownership into the picture. At least by the calculation, it works only if two criterias are met:
    a) I want to be tied to that particular telco (sorry, no, can't do it)
    b) I'm willing to do all that just to get a z10 to offset the cost of ownership (erm, not viable, at least how in the Malaysian forums it was discussed)

I'm not hinting.
    I find it hypocritical that you vehemently defend blackberry 10 when you don't have a BB10 device. it also sounds like you wouldn't waste an upgrade on one.

It's very telling for blackberry and what's to come.
    Oh, don't be a spoilsport. I like the phones, and I just haven't got a chance to upgrade them, whether by carrier subsidization or by own purchase to upgrade. It doesn't mean I can't like the phones now can't I? Just like I don't own a Samsung phone (because I own a Huawei Android device, and an Acer Iconia A500 tablet) can't I talk about how much I like my Androids on tablets as well? (but then again, this isn't the forums to speak about that). So how am I being hypocritical again? Admiration isn't hypocritical. Being hypocritical is when you post so many insinuating suggestions about how / why I should be getting a BlackBerry phone, yet you yourself can't bring yourself to move on and go away / refrain from speaking any more ill about the phone, but can't afford to move away from BlackBerry platform without insinuating negativity (since I assume that you've got another phone and I'm sure you're enjoying the phone as well). So who's now being hypocritical? Maybe its both of us? Or maybe its just you?

Fret not, I'm sure you will be able to pick up a BB10 device after the 4th of November, at a considerable discount.
    Oh really? you make it sound like there's a firesale right on 4th of November. I like that. That may mean I can finally get one faster, hopefully by the end of the year. But it doesn't answer would you like to get me one?
    Last edited by badiyee; 10-17-13 at 04:15 AM. Reason: messed up quotes, repaired and responded to.
    10-16-13 07:48 PM
    Anyone else find the world of tech journalism just a little bit odd?

Posted via CB10
    If by "a little bit" you mean "incredibly" and by "odd" you mean "pathetic", then, yes, I do.
    10-16-13 09:05 PM
    My thought is if the Z came out with only minor issues instead of the random rebooting fiasco and had most the apps claimed as being there they would he in much better shape today but they didn't.
    10.0 random rebooting was just simply unacceptable, I recall reading the horror stories on this. I can tolerate lack of apps, missing "old conveniences" from BBOS, and so on. 10.1 should have been the 10.0.
    10-16-13 09:07 PM
    My conviction is waning? I don't know any convictions you're saying, but I do enjoy BlackBerry phones. I like them as they are. Though I really like the Torch 9800 form factor.

Oh, by the way, it isnt' BlackBerry's fault. If I wanted I can justify tightening my stomach for few months and get a z30. Just that I think it isn't worth killing myself softly over that. I don't want to behave like the some of the cartoons depicted in the Oatmeal, though I've got my own fair share of seeing people that are nearly in that extremes. So, nah. Not BlackBerry's fault. I'm not affected much by marketing.

Fair suggestion, but I'm afraid it doesn't offset much, at least when you take the entire 2 years's cost of ownership into the picture. At least by the calculation, it works only if two criterias are met:
    a) I want to be tied to that particular telco (sorry, no, can't do it)
    b) I'm willing to do all that just to get a z10 to offset the cost of ownership (erm, not viable, at least how in the Malaysian forums it was discussed)

Oh, don't be a spoilsport. I like the phones, and I just haven't got a chance to upgrade them, whether by carrier subsidization or by own purchase to upgrade. It doesn't mean I can't like the phones now can't I? Just like I don't own a Samsung phone (because I own a Huawei Android device, and an Acer Iconia A500 tablet) can't I talk about how much I like my Androids on tablets as well? (but then again, this isn't the forums to speak about that). So how am I being hypocritical again? Admiration isn't hypocritical. Being hypocritical is when you post so many insinuating suggestions about how / why I should be getting a BlackBerry phone, yet you yourself can't bring yourself to move on and go away / refrain from speaking any more ill about the phone, but can't afford to move away from BlackBerry platform without insinuating negativity (since I assume that you've got another phone and I'm sure you're enjoying the phone as well). So who's now being hypocritical? Maybe its both of us? Or maybe its just you?

Oh really? you make it sound like there's a firesale right on 4th of November. I like that. That may mean I can finally get one faster, hopefully by the end of the year. But it doesn't answer would you like to get me one?
    Sounds like you would rather spend your money on sharp/asus/huawei then on blackberry 10.

q5,q10,and z10 are all cheaper than a z30, but you need your excuses.

I think SHARP uses them. I was looking at their 7" tablets, with a friend in Japan asking him to buy it for me, only to find out that the SIM won't work in my country. Bummer. But the usage of IGZO screens seems to give a much better battery life, up to 2.5x, claimed it seems. The colors don't seem bad too. Its a good compromise, I'll take that. Though at the moment its still kind of expensive.
    Hypocritical indeed.
    Enjoy your next purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-17-13 09:58 AM
    Sounds like you would rather spend your money on sharp/asus/huawei then on blackberry 10.

q5,q10,and z10 are all cheaper than a z30, but you need your excuses.
    Yeap, its cheaper, but I'll like the z30. If there's a newer model probably I'll like the new model even more. Is that supposed to be a problem?

Secondly, I would rather spend my money on anything that I think will enhance my experience, if the value is in range and I can afford it.

Hypocritical indeed.
    Enjoy your next purchase
    Yah, as if a friend can't buy a present from Japan? Its a nice tablet by the way. So what's being hypocritical? that I can't ask my friend who's in japan to buy me a present? And it has to be a what, BlackBerry? sheez. Since you're so adamant about me getting a BlackBerry 10 device, and I can't afford it, why don't you buy one for me? Oh by the way, you still haven't answer the question yet.

You still want to continue at this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]
    10-17-13 10:48 AM
    Yeap, its cheaper, but I'll like the z30. If there's a newer model probably I'll like the new model even more. Is that supposed to be a problem?

Secondly, I would rather spend my money on anything that I think will enhance my experience, if the value is in range and I can afford it.

Yah, as if a friend can't buy a present from Japan? Its a nice tablet by the way. So what's being hypocritical? that I can't ask my friend who's in japan to buy me a present? And it has to be a what, BlackBerry? sheez. Since you're so adamant about me getting a BlackBerry 10 device, and I can't afford it, why don't you buy one for me? Oh by the way, you still haven't answer the question yet.

[/QUOTE]

I honesty that you were being rhetorical.
    To answer your question. No.

Perhaps you should have asked your friend for a z30 instead of an android tablet?

Good luck badiyee.

10-17-13 11:21 AM

I honesty that you were being rhetorical.
    To answer your question. No.

Perhaps you should have asked your friend for a z30 instead of an android tablet?

Good luck badiyee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]
    I don't think I'll like to sidetrack more than I have now, but if I recall correctly, they aren't sold in Japan (at least not via official channels, gray imports, probably).. and secondly, why do I have to buy a BlackBerry 10 device from Japan, when I can get something that's awesomely Japan from Japan? (there are lots of Japanese goods that are awesome that doesn't make way to outside to Japan, on normal circumstances)
    Last edited by badiyee; 10-17-13 at 11:28 AM. Reason: mend broken quote
    10-17-13 11:26 AM
    I don't think I'll like to sidetrack more than I have now, but if I recall correctly, they aren't sold in Japan (at least not via official channels, gray imports, probably).. and secondly, why do I have to buy a BlackBerry 10 device from Japan, when I can get something that's awesomely Japan from Japan? (there are lots of Japanese goods that are awesome that doesn't make way to outside to Japan, on normal circumstances)[/QUOTE]

He's trying to attack unnecessary point because he didn't have any useful armaments to begin with. All he's been doing is trying to undermine your points by saying you don't even have one. By that logic nobody should ever say Obama is doing a good/bad job because they're not a POTUS during Obama's time.

One glance and his stance was clear as jelly.

And no, BlackBerry 10 isn't currently being sold in Japan, it doesn't even have Japanese input to begin with. I'm sure that's the only problem barring Naver from supporting BlackBerry 10, the side loaded version works so well, I bet they can just use that online apk2bar and get away with it

And sometimes, what happens in Japan better stays in Japan lol

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    badiyee likes this.
    10-17-13 10:45 PM
    I don't think I'll like to sidetrack more than I have now, but if I recall correctly, they aren't sold in Japan (at least not via official channels, gray imports, probably).. and secondly, why do I have to buy a BlackBerry 10 device from Japan, when I can get something that's awesomely Japan from Japan? (there are lots of Japanese goods that are awesome that doesn't make way to outside to Japan, on normal circumstances)
    He's trying to attack unnecessary point because he didn't have any useful armaments to begin with. All he's been doing is trying to undermine your points by saying you don't even have one. By that logic nobody should ever say Obama is doing a good/bad job because they're not a POTUS during Obama's time.

One glance and his stance was clear as jelly.

And no, BlackBerry 10 isn't currently being sold in Japan, it doesn't even have Japanese input to begin with. I'm sure that's the only problem barring Naver from supporting BlackBerry 10, the side loaded version works so well, I bet they can just use that online apk2bar and get away with it

And sometimes, what happens in Japan better stays in Japan lol

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633[/QUOTE]
    I had asked for some things, such as authentic wasabi, a slice of Kobe beef, and also a tablet at this point, only to be foiled by

a) authentic wasabis are sold only in Japan.
    b) Kobe beef is not to be sold outside of Japan at any cost (yikes)
    c) on the tablet's case, the SIM card is such a pain in the ***, that cloning my sim card to that u-sim is just way too costly and does not justify the total cost of owning that tablet.

why does Japan hide all the good stuffs and not share it with the world!?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-18-13 12:24 AM
    and so releasing a statement isn't do-ing. Alternatives / add-ons to this please? I have some ideas but let's hear what you got to say since you say they should do. I'll like to hear how you define BlackBerry as doing 'something'.
    It's not my job to brainstorm on their behalf and soon it won't be anyones.
    10-18-13 11:59 AM
    It's not my job to brainstorm on their behalf and soon it won't be anyones.
    yeah, but its the same that criticism comes with a solution, be it verbal or not, and be it usable or not. I think my contention with is that they were being nagged at, doing or not doing, and nothing constructive came out of it other than the self-invoking pleasure of posters who are more than happy to find faults with BlackBerry (for whatever reasons), that doesn't bring anybody benefit, except for their own self-pleasure (in whatever twisted manner that is)

Is that not a point of criticism? That is to offer an alternative view, instead of just a commentary? To talk about something is pretty much cheaper. I think where I live, there's a proverb that goes "as heavy the eyes sees, the heavier it is for the shoulder who shoulders the burden" or something along the lines of "to waste your saliva on the misgivings of others, but it isn't worth the weight unless you shoulder it as well".
    10-18-13 12:13 PM
97 ... 234