10-18-13 12:13 PM
97 1234
tools
    The Blackberry ad is an attempt to lure all corporate customers and consumers into buying products because no one is buying anything in this uncertain time...that's the meaning of the letter..they are desperate.
    Yes, BlackBerry are in a flat spin.

I don't need ZDNet to tell me how to interpret that letter though.
    Anilu7 and Knightcrawler like this.
    10-15-13 05:13 PM
    I don't get what all the hoopla is about here. The letter may sound defensive, but that because BB is playing defense now. What did you guys expect them to say?

"Dear Customers, F*$k the media, we're doing just fine and the naysayers can suck it!"

They did the right thing by putting out this letter. It would have been better if they released it along side their "strategic alternatives" announcement, so we wouldn't have a month of bad press and "BB is for sale" headlines. You can criticize them on their timing all you want, but the letter itself is precisely what they needed to put out.
    Pdinos3, Anilu7, gfondeur and 2 others like this.
    10-15-13 05:50 PM
    Aw how cute.
    10-15-13 06:03 PM
    Really? I thought it was pretty funny. Then again, to me it's only a phone.
    And to some its a Employer/workplace/revenue stream...
    10-15-13 07:01 PM
    you should kiss the US because without them you will be poorer than Africa..what do you have that is not American owned? only Blackberry, a failing company that no one wants to buy
    I don't think so....all the US has ever done is bleed everyone they come in contact with (including its own people) dry
    Pdinos3 and gfondeur like this.
    10-15-13 07:17 PM
    So...
    They call literal bashing "journalism" now?

... can I get my life back?

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    10-15-13 07:21 PM
    Just received the open letter via Email from Blackberry.

Finally making use of that database, well... its a start.
    I received that email addressed to my professional account as well today.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-15-13 07:46 PM
    Pity that with trying to cram all those BIG words into one pithy reply you could not be bothered to spell paid correctly.
    Thank you!
    I happily accept that you couldn't attack my logic.

Z10 via CB10
    10-15-13 08:38 PM
    Blackberry: "You can continue to count on BlackBerry.

How do we know? We have substantial cash on hand and a balance sheet that is debt free.....

so trust us when we deliver one of our own: You can continue to count on us."

....and that it can be called BS....you answered your own question (gave one of several possible valid answers)..
    Oh, I seem to have given a possible answer to my own question? But it does not answer as to

a) how doing an advert of this sort = BS. (just because they are going down?)
    b) Assuming they are going down, therefore they cannot / must not do adds?
    c) Assuming that they will go down, please elaborate how
    what's it got to do with BlackBerry going down, other than losing support?
    Since you conveniently left out the other parts as well, I might as well restate them. What has this whole letter got to do as being BS? Furthermore, if I buy a phone, and the company goes down, I lose support. But what again does that has to do with the purpoted "BS"? The poster has neither clarified what is the BS, nor what is being "BS" about the entire advert, or the purpose of the advert.

So, please explain. I'll prefer an extension of your thoughts that doesn't require the use of a time machine. How about that?

I think its fair game for BlackBerry to put up whatever advertisement they want to, dying or not. I feel its fair game since many entities are making speculations and pulling something right out of their asses / from nothing and begin to even assume things, therefore isn't it fair game for BlackBerry to put up an 'open letter' advertisement as such? Or are you saying they do not have such rights?
    10-15-13 09:33 PM
    Because they haven't DONE anything. Just talk. They even manage to blow sunshine about BBM and BES.

I tell my sons to not tell me what they are going to do, show me. Same for BB. They aren't doing anything, just talking about it.
    Right, in a situation where there seems to be nothing that they can do, they did something. This is when people would condemn them for doing something right or wrong, or crucify them for doing absolutely nothing. So again, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Your sons have nothing to do with this, please keep the kids away from the statement. They did something, even if its a talk. You don't like it? I get it. But since you say this, about taking actions and so forth, can you please extend a thought on this without using any time-machine solutions? I would like to hear what you think BlackBerry could do to make things better for themselves (because let's admit it, corporations are not welfare agencies)
    10-15-13 09:38 PM
    Talk is cheap.

Q: "What do I expect them to do?"

A: "Do"
    and so releasing a statement isn't do-ing. Alternatives / add-ons to this please? I have some ideas but let's hear what you got to say since you say they should do. I'll like to hear how you define BlackBerry as doing 'something'.
    10-15-13 09:40 PM
    Fairfax can't come up with the money to buy them? You realize that buying BlackBerry would be barely a decimal point on their balance sheet, right?
    The only skin that Fairfax are prepared to have in this is the stock that they already own. Not a penny more.
    xandermac and kevinnugent like this.
    10-15-13 09:53 PM
    and so releasing a statement isn't do-ing. Alternatives / add-ons to this please? I have some ideas but let's hear what you got to say since you say they should do. I'll like to hear how you define BlackBerry as doing 'something'.
    writing a letter isn't what id class as `doing` to be quite honest.

Releasing BBM cross platform? that's doing.
    Releasing BBM Channels (even if just for BlackBerry users)? that's doing.
    Actually having adverts on tv? that's doing
    Teaching carrier employees how to best sell their devices (or just letting them know they are there)? that's doing.
    Using their social channels for promotion of their own products and not some crappy `levelup` idea (which incidentally the first 3 people choosen still tweet from their iphones lol)? That's doing.
    Actually introducing tech that's shown off in demos - (think anything TAT, many approved patents - toast on tilt for example, BBM for desktop, the list goes on). That's doing

Still, why do any of that when you can just write a letter.
    10-15-13 10:16 PM
    Thank you!
    I happily accept that you couldn't attack my logic.
    It was such an epic fail, the whole point of the post was lost.
    bennelong likes this.
    10-15-13 10:19 PM
    Anyone else find the world of tech journalism just a little bit odd?

Posted via CB10
    I fund the world of tech journalism embarrassing. Unfortunately this is what has BlackBerry in the state it is, journalists write garbage like this and the average cellphone users eats it up because the are either too lazy or too stupid to investigate and research for themselves. This is exactly why I've said all along for BlackBerry to survive, they have to get cutthroat and respond in kind to every piece of garbage that's written about them.

I've made a personal choice to boycott every Web page, store or app developer that doesn't support BlackBerry.

Mike

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514, bennelong and gfondeur like this.
    10-15-13 10:21 PM
    Unfortunately this is what has BlackBerry in the state it is
    disagree. the CBC post in the blogs nailed it when one guy on camera said their two biggest problems were price and advertising.

Sure some biased tech media doesn't `help` but in a sense it only exacerbates the problem, it doesn't make it to start with.
    10-15-13 10:27 PM
    disagree. the CBC post in the blogs nailed it when one guy on camera said their two biggest problems were price and advertising.

Sure some biased tech media doesn't `help` but in a sense it only exacerbates the problem, it doesn't make it to start with.
    Why do you think it said they need to be cutthroat when responding to all negative press and he "average user" wouldn't bother to check things out for themselves.

Why should a BlackBerry be prices lower than an iPhone? If BlackBerry advertised and educates they could sell way more phones than they have at the same price they were.

Whenever I see an interview asking people's opinions on the BlackBerry, unless they use or have tried one of the BlackBerry 10 phones, their opinions are moot to me because otherwise they have only listened to mainstream media
    pcguy514 likes this.
    10-15-13 10:44 PM
    Why should a BlackBerry be prices lower than an iPhone?
    well considering many many people on CB alone have stated many times that iPhones are overpriced, I think that's your answer.

Look at android devices, a far greater spec device can be had for the same cost as a BB10 device. with the absoloute lack of advertising, customers simply cant see any added benefit that perceived lack of specs brings, to them its more expensive and not as well specced.

Also lets be very very clear here, its the people who don't own a BB10 device who`s opinions matter the MOST, not the least like you say. THEY are what the target market should be if BlackBerry wants to enlarge its userbase. The best thing to ask them is why they aren't considering BlackBerry 10 devices. if they say price, apps or lack of product knowledge then THAT is the reason they aren't selling.

Its not about knowing why people are buying your stuff, its about knowing why people aren't buying your stuff.
    10-15-13 11:02 PM
    ZDNET has been going down the drain about BlackBerry over the years and following in the footsteps of their sister company CNET where they had a joke of a review of the BB10 devices.

This is getting downright silly now with such biased journalism.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 11:11 PM
    writing a letter isn't what id class as `doing` to be quite honest.

Releasing BBM cross platform? that's doing.
    Releasing BBM Channels (even if just for BlackBerry users)? that's doing.
    Actually having adverts on tv? that's doing
    Teaching carrier employees how to best sell their devices (or just letting them know they are there)? that's doing.
    Using their social channels for promotion of their own products and not some crappy `levelup` idea (which incidentally the first 3 people choosen still tweet from their iphones lol)? That's doing.
    Actually introducing tech that's shown off in demos - (think anything TAT, many approved patents - toast on tilt for example, BBM for desktop, the list goes on). That's doing

Still, why do any of that when you can just write a letter.
    Right, I agree with your ideas that they ought to be doing that. But that said, are they doing it? I'm not so sure, but let's assume that (since they are silent about a lot of things), that they are not doing anything. Is it okay for them to release a statement?

My belief is that they are doing something, somewhere (of course, the silence can mean nothing, we'll leave it at that), but since we're going to assume that they are doing nothing (maybe dwiddling their thumbs and shaking their legs, or how you want to imagine that) doing absolutely nothing, I think the 'open letter' ad is an okay thing to do. It isn't necessarily the best thing to be doing with the amount of money used. Off the top of my head I think they probably would have done better if they used the money to at least just post one message on their websites, facebook, and whatever remains of it to do a hackathon (reach out to more people that will talk to other people), so it serves the purpose of making a statement, and by not overusing their resources but also doing something that is beneficial to the company and the devs as a whole.

But then again, if they are going to do one thing at a time, I'll say taking the advert route ain't bad, just that I hope they don't repeat this for every time a 'catastrophic bad news event' happen. That will be a lot of money wasted.
    10-15-13 11:14 PM
    This is getting downright silly now with such biased journalism.

Posted via CB10
    No more silly than BlackBerry saying they changed with the market to BYOD, BYOD started 2 or 3 years ago and only then past few months has BES cross platform been out there. That's not changing with, that's being led by.

Sure the article is ripping BlackBerry a bit, but when the letter is trying to distort the facts I guess anything is fair game.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 11:15 PM
    Whenever I see an interview asking people's opinions on the BlackBerry, unless they use or have tried one of the BlackBerry 10 phones, their opinions are moot to me because otherwise they have only listened to mainstream media
    What? So the only opinions that count are those of people that have used BB10? The legions of fans that have used or are still using legacy devices are now irrelevant and their opinions are meaningless?

That has to be the most ridiculously elitist drivel anyone has uttered in quite some time. Those legacy users, millions of them are a major reason why BlackBerry has sales that are worth talking about and they came to their decision to continue buying and using those devices on their own, NOT because the evil, big bad, mainstream media told them to.
    10-15-13 11:32 PM
    Really? I thought it was pretty funny. Then again, to me it's only a phone.
    It's more than a phone. It's a company, with employees, with families.

If BlackBerry is going to fail, let them do it on their own. No need for the media to keep trying to push them off a cliff.

Posted via CB10
    Anilu7 and gfondeur like this.
    10-15-13 11:52 PM
    It's more than a phone. It's a company, with employees, with families.

If BlackBerry is going to fail, let them do it on their own. No need for the media to keep trying to push them off a cliff.

Posted via CB10
    The media aren't trying to push BlackBerry off a cliff, BlackBerry already jumped.
    Now we're waiting for the *splat*.

Seriously, lighten up guys. BlackBerry are just one company. If their product has value in today's marketplace, it will shine and BlackBerry will weather the storm.
    Anilu7 and Poirots Progeny like this.
    10-15-13 11:59 PM
    To me, BlackBerry's letter was alright, except for the part about having the "best-in-class mobile social network," which is quite laughable given the BBM fiasco.

As regards zdnet, well, that was just another wag dipping his feet into the river of ridicule and satire flowing BlackBerry's way. It's the easy, obvious thing to do, so the writer just embraced his own mediocrity and went ahead and did it.

If I had written "LFMAO" instead of "LMFAO", my poor Q10 would have exploded out of grief. :-)

BBQ10
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 10-16-13 at 07:09 PM.
    10-16-13 12:18 AM
97 1234