06-13-14 10:49 AM
54 123
tools
    One explanation is they only included devices with flagship specs: screen,CPU or GPU that would impact battery life or were a benchmark standard. Thus Moto X and Z30 didn't make the cut.

Any device without notable specs and low marketshare is going to make it into many benchmarks with current gen devices.
    I absolutely agree. I simply don't think it's reasonable for people to expect BlackBerry to get treats the same as other devices that are newer or have vastly different specs or most importantly have much bigger market share.

This applies not only to inclusion in test or articles, but also app development.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-10-14 08:27 PM
    If it makes you feel better the Q10 & 5 both tested fairly well in the GSM Arena testing . ( not the same organization as above). I understand about anecdotal evidence but I must say that my new Z10 running 10.21 seems to have improved it's battery performance since the phone came out. For myself, it seems to do as well or better than our iPhone. I hope that 10.3 does not change that for the worse.
    06-10-14 08:35 PM
    I absolutely agree. I simply don't think it's reasonable for people to expect BlackBerry to get treats the same as other devices that are newer or have vastly different specs or most importantly have much bigger market share.

This applies not only to inclusion in test or articles, but also app development.

If you go to the phone arena site the test results have a drop down menu so that you can add a phone. You can drop in just about every phone on the planet except BlackBerry. That organization reviewed the phone but never actually bench marked the battery.

Long story short. The Z30 is fine but no hero when it comes to battery endurance,
    06-10-14 08:46 PM
    What an odd article. They talk about Android yet include iphone in the test result starting to think the writer is an iHater lol. They should have also include Q10 - a year or so old phone that will beat them in battery life. My Q still last 12 hours with moderate to heavy usage. I love it. I don't have to bring phone charger and worry about not having power.

via Q10
    06-10-14 08:56 PM
    What an odd article. They talk about Android yet include iphone in the test result starting to think the writer is an iHater lol. They should have also include Q10 - a year or so old phone that will beat them in battery life. My Q still last 12 hours with moderate to heavy usage. I love it. I don't have to bring phone charger and worry about not having power.

via Q10
    That doesnt really mean anything lol...for instance, you got people on here claiming they get 24 hours of use out of their Z10 with moderate use (lol).

The G2 beat the Q10 in all these tests performed. Considering how old the processors are in the current BB10 devices though, I expect this. Newer processors are much more efficient. I look forward to see how BB10 stacks up with more modern specs coupled with a big battery.
    pantlesspenguin and mornhavon like this.
    06-10-14 09:32 PM
    The LG3 is driving 3,686,400 pixels . Putting up a q10 with 518,400 pixels up against it on a battery test makes no sense. Whats LG did with that screen tech and battery is pretty amazing.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-10-14 09:38 PM

via Q10
    12 hours from 100% to empty in 12 hours? That's actually not that good these days. I thought people were getting better from the Q10. I got rid of my Xperia Z because of battery life but that got around 15 hours on a moderate day.

This is my G2 today:

06-10-14 10:48 PM
    I'd take benchmarks with controlled tests over one person's casual observation. Declaring the comparison's garbage is a bit of a stretch.
    I don't disagree with your preference. I'm just saying that based on a two week test of switching back and forth using them as a daily driver, which consisted of extensive daily use, the G2 battery was nowhere near as good as the Z30. I would use them both from 530am to 11pm, and my Z30 averaged around 57% battery left, and the G2 around 15%.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 10:49 PM
    That doesnt really mean anything lol...for instance, you got people on here claiming they get 24 hours of use out of their Z10 with moderate use (lol).

The G2 beat the Q10 in all these tests performed. Considering how old the processors are in the current BB10 devices though, I expect this. Newer processors are much more efficient. I look forward to see how BB10 stacks up with more modern specs coupled with a big battery.
    My Q10 gets almost as good battery life as my G2 did. However, I will say, that the G2 is a solid phone. I don't like android, but as an android device, I thoroughly enjoyed the G2. It's a really good phone with great battery life for an android device, and the screen is great, as well as the price point. It's the phone I recommend to anyone looking to get an android phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 10:53 PM
    Z30 left out of LG G3 Battery Test! [BGR]-img_20140531_085441.png
    Z30 left out of LG G3 Battery Test! [BGR]-img_20140604_195746.png

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 10:54 PM
    Love the test they do which could easily be won by having a web browser that happens to be more efficiently coded.
    06-10-14 11:09 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140531_085441.png 
Views:	465 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	277488
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140604_195746.png 
Views:	464 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	277489

Posted via CB10
    what device is that second pic coming from???
    06-10-14 11:59 PM
    what device is that second pic coming from???
    Q10 lol

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 12:26 AM
    Their comparisons are garbage. I owned the G2 and the Z30 simultaneously, the the Z30 blew it out of the water. I got at least 25 percent extra battery life over the G2. However, the G2 battery was impressive for an android.

Posted via CB10
    The GSMarena battery test is highly questionable, cause it says the iPhone 5s > Z30 in terms of battery life.
    06-11-14 12:34 AM
    The GSMarena battery test is highly questionable, cause it says the iPhone 5s > Z30 in terms of battery life.
    browsing was the only thing the Iphone 5s beat it in....and i believe it. The browser is what kills my Z10 the fastest. Easily can kill it in 4 hours.
    06-11-14 12:49 AM
    If it is an article from BGR then I would understand. He just comments on things without even knowing anything about it especially if it is a Blackberry. He has totally no credibility I wonder why people even bother to listen to him or read his articles.

#BGR is totally useless or Hopeless
    06-11-14 07:51 AM
    Market share, yah right.
    When I tell someone "it's a BlackBerry "
    They say "where's the buttons "

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    06-11-14 08:22 AM
    You can't even buy the dam thing in a store! So why even consider it?

Let's get real here and stop pretending BlackBerry matters in the smart phone world. Right now it does not.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    Last edited by trsbbs; 06-11-14 at 10:58 AM.
    JeepBB, Rello and mornhavon like this.
    06-11-14 08:41 AM
    Lol why are people so surprised. Like stated earlier it's not BGR being biased. They're getting the info from elsewhere.

No Windows phone device is mentioned either. When BlackBerry releases a relevant device, it will probably be mentioned in more articles like these. Even that isn't guaranteed though lol. Just gotta remember the position BlackBerry is in right now

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 09:18 AM
    Do those numbers really matter to consumers? That the battery life of G3 is 30 minutes longer than others, charging time is 2 minutes faster. Like do I really care about the 30 minutes and 2 minutes? I would care if it is hours longer and hours faster.
    06-11-14 09:38 AM
    Even if the Z30 scored somewhere around the plebeian "average", any mention of its existence would help.

If you are a tech journalist or (worse) a "researcher" (as source is claimed to be) you shouldn't aim to merely provide the same breadth of information known by an average reader/user. As an "expert", your goal should be to expand your readership's breadth of knowledge, challenging the audience to consider a different world view, or assumptions. It's a shame that most of these so called "tech writers" give very little weight to such an integral part of their jobs. They're really no better than the Best Buy employee reading off the price tag sticker description when asked about a device.

Did they really just forget about BlackBerry? How difficult is it to keep track of such a limited set of information? I guess I'm glad they are writing Internet junk and not holding important professions that could directly impact people's lives or livelihoods.

Posted via CB10
    Tech geeks are just tech geeks, many have certain affiliation to a specific piece of gadget. The term journalism and researchers are totally different fields. A researcher or a journalist might be a tech geek but it's not a vice versa. These days and age a lot of bloggers who contribute pieces of review or write up are just that. No different from members who offer opinions on this site. Any credibility is just an assumption base on where the piece was published. The legitimacy of these sites that claim to be authorities of said subject is yet another topic to be debated on another day.
    06-11-14 09:59 AM
    I opened this thread expecting to see pictures of a z30 that had been left outside and was now complete garbage, presumably from rain damage.

Disappointed.
    06-11-14 04:40 PM
    Their comparisons are garbage. I owned the G2 and the Z30 simultaneously, the the Z30 blew it out of the water. I got at least 25 percent extra battery life over the G2. However, the G2 battery was impressive for an android.

Posted via CB10
    I could say my Bold 9780 easily got 25% more battery life but that doesn't make my personal experiences as credible as a fairly decent (even if relatively non-scientific) battery test by a reputable tech blog.

The Z30 has a big battery. Great. The SoC power management doesn't even hold a candle to what QC did in the S800-class CPUs, which is what phones like the G2 and Note 3 use.

And keep in mind those phones do (did?) what they do with 1080p screens and in some cases a ton more sensors than what is in the Z30.

And do we really need a "Sky is falling!" thread every time a tech blog doesn't include a blackberry device in some comparison. Would people be complaining if they omitted it from a camera comparison? They did, and yet I see no thread here wailing about it...
    JeepBB, Berry_Pink and mornhavon like this.
    06-11-14 08:30 PM
    ASK!!!

Ask CrackBerry to do a test. Complaning, hmmm. If we find something that we think is unfair (ASK!!!) there is a solution. Most people I work with use BBM but they had no idea they could. They all love it, even though they did not want to try it.

BlackBerry has so many features it is imposible to talk about them all, it just becomes confusing. Example: Miami Heat has many great player but LeBron is the focus. BlackBerry Need their LeBron, Kobe, Michael a feature that hits a home run and give consumers a reason to pick up their devices

Oops back to the topic

How hard would it be to do a battery test and post it on YouTube.

ASK!!!
    06-11-14 10:18 PM
    I could say my Bold 9780 easily got 25% more battery life but that doesn't make my personal experiences as credible as a fairly decent (even if relatively non-scientific) battery test by a reputable tech blog.

The Z30 has a big battery. Great. The SoC power management doesn't even hold a candle to what QC did in the S800-class CPUs, which is what phones like the G2 and Note 3 use.

And keep in mind those phones do (did?) what they do with 1080p screens and in some cases a ton more sensors than what is in the Z30.
    Very good points. I absolutely agree.

And do we really need a "Sky is falling!" thread every time a tech blog doesn't include a blackberry device in some comparison. Would people be complaining if they omitted it from a camera comparison? They did, and yet I see no thread here wailing about it...
    It seems that we do. I'm amazed at how there are so many BlackBerry fanatics who have a huge chip on their shoulder.

People need to realize that BlackBerry has a tiny market share and isn't going to be included in everything. At least not until they regain some stability. This applies to battery tests, articles, and app development.

Last edited by crazigee; 06-12-14 at 04:41 AM.
    JeepBB, Berry_Pink and mornhavon like this.
    06-12-14 02:46 AM
54 123