06-01-14 05:37 PM
265 ... 7891011
tools
    The issue isn't whether or not he recognizes where his knowledge is weak. The issue is lack of technological vision for the company and it's products. And whether Chen has hired an "expert" or not (and I have my doubts), there does not seem to be much in the way of technological vision in evidence - especially with smartphones - whether it's coming from Chen or any of the so-called "experts" he's hired as lieutenants.

What it also does - and I would argue this is actually far more important - is leave the distinct impression that A) BlackBerry's "new improved" technology isn't good enough to be consistently presented as the newer/better way of doing things, and B) the company's technological direction consists of a random jumble of bringing back old stuff and adding things that their competitors have already had for years in some cases.

Once again, it leaves the impression that the company is going backwards in more ways than one. I honestly don't know why he would even mention this if there is no actual likelihood that it will change back any time in the foreseeable future.

I absolutely blame him. BIS is a morass and an albatross around their neck that handicaps their ability to move forward in various ways. BIS is not the BlackBerry icon at the top of your screen that supports modern IP-based BlackBerry services like BBM/PIN messages/Protect/BES/etc, BlackBerry has never used that term to describe that. Let's just call those "BlackBerry services". BIS is the thing that requires special, proprietary equipment installed in every carrier's network around the world that requires special care-and-feeding solely for the benefit of a company which now has a microscopic marketshare almost everywhere in the world, and for the 3 people in the world that care about getting POP messages a little faster with a little less battery drain, more-or-less. That's like Toyota deciding to put 8-track players in every one of their cars going forward (at some non-trivial incremental cost to every car buyer), for the 3 people in the world that still think 8-track is the bees knees.

We have seen in Indonesia what the real appeal of BBOS was: when BBM became available on Android and iOS, people there deserted BBOS in droves, and simply used BBM on other smartphones. (Mostly Android. BlackBerry's marketshare in Indonesia dropped from around 30% to around 7% in one year.)

I believe that he heard this in meetings with customers. As Henry Ford famously said, before his introduction of his mass-produced automobile, if he had asked people what they would like if he could give them anything to improve their transportation, most people would have probably suggested "faster horse buggies".

The real problem is creating a public perception that the company is going nowhere, and returning to the product strategy that has made them the **** of jokes for years already.

It is my understanding that not only was the Z3/Foxconn project already in the works before Chen was hired, but that it was actually based on the "Cafe/Kopi" product series which actually had been so far along in development that Indonesia had already passed them through telecom certification there. (I do not have verification of that. I do know that at least one Cafe/Kopi device was already certified there because I saw the documentation on it from Telekom Indonesia.)

"Selective email delete" is a dumb feature that doesn't do what it does on BBOS because of fundamentally different architecture, and it was poorly designed. It breaks the basic paradigm of a synchronizing email protocol, without anything to mitigate that.

PIN messages I think will only be used by a microscopic fraction of people, and I'd bet that 95% of current BB10 users have no idea what it even is. There are others, can't think of them right now.

Whereas they could have brought back the following features and actually solved problems people need to solve:

• Save local copy of an email without turning it into a useless "document" by copy/paste kluges or an ephemeral "Remember" doc that disappears as soon as it's deleted on-server, etc.
    • Auto-BCC setting for POP email accounts
    • Timed auto-on/auto-off
    • Custom notification profiles along with fixing all the other notifications issues
    • Charging dock
    • Themes (Android beats the pants off of them with this. This is one of those ill-advised "trying to be Apple when you don't know how to do it" nonsenses from the original BB10 "vision")
    • Better text editing/cursor management/copy-paste. Instead we get (in 10.3) an "edit circle" that covers up the "paste" button, an email "multiple delete" feature that nearly hides the previous UI mechanism for that and instead, covers up the messages so you can't see what you're trying to delete any more. Among various other things.
    • Etc etc etc

Of course they are fighting for their survival. And I think in part this explains someone else's complaint that they "botched the Z30 rollout". (Well, that happened right in the middle of their massive Q3 2013 financial debacle when they shortly-after lopped-off another 40% of their workforce and no longer had the ability to promote it.)

I still don't think it excuses not having any clue what to do with your products. I think it's fairly obvious that Chen's tolerance for the handset business is mostly predicated on whether they can find some success in it, and if not, he will lop it off. Unfortunately, that tends to create uncertainty in the marketplace and doesn't exactly placate customers worrying about investing in a platform that may not go anywhere. (Despite feeble corporate assurances)

This post is already too long as it is - the short version is that most of the things being added do not strike me as particularly unique or visionary, and actually quite possibly half of them are actually lame and ill-advised. (ie the UI changes in 10.3 that look dumb, come across as utterly me-tooish, and actually damage the user experience)
    Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful post. You make good points. Let's hope BlackBerry can figure it out. Bb10 has so much potential, it would be a shame to lose it.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 08:04 PM
    Totally agree. They seem to be in the throw and see what sticks mode and not really giving any one thing the time, effort and resources it needs to see if it is successful. The message seems different every interview. Z30 launch was the biggest disappointment I have ever seen and I really wonder why they didn't scrap it given that they put no effort into the device after launch. My hope is that with 10.3.1 release it comes with a new all touch device in addition to the Classic and Windermere and a solid marketing effort in North America to try to reinvent the BlackBerry name.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Although I would agree with Omnitech's post, this post is something I would only fundamentally agree that BlackBerry's doing a me-too game.

However, as per being er, "just dump / throw anything and see what works", I think that's a little stretched.

The way I look at it, as hectic as the situation seems to imply (scrambling around, patching this, patching that, giving this, giving that), I'm looking at John Chen playing the "checkbox game".

What makes it different for John Chen, compared to his predecessors, (I'm seeing that John Chen is building upon everything that the former CEO and the CO-CEOs have been doing), is that instead of swiping the foundation and rebuild, he's going to graft the features in, by brute force. After all, he is a software guy.

What I'm seeing is that John Chen is most likely playing the same game that Samsung did (not on hardware level) by making sure that BlackBerry has an answer, instead of "no feature / not supported". Granted, it isn't a very good thing to do (unless they catch up REAAAL FAST) but if any pre-indicators are anything, BlackBerry is going to do a "check, tick + 1" to the the checkbox. Which is risky, but in a way exciting as well.
    gokulesh likes this.
    05-22-14 08:38 PM
    I remember hearing similar stories about the Q10 when it was released here in Britain and once the dust had settled and the hype dismissed the cold truth came out that the Q10 and Z10 weren't actually selling that well at all. My money is on this being a repeat.
    Good point, I remember that all to well. I'm hoping Mr. Chen and his team studied that issue and will be doing everything possible to avoid the same scenario.

First things first though. BlackBerry needed a bit of success on launch day to even continue any momentum. They did and can now build on it.

BBM CHANNEL - "BB POWERED " C001C1D66
    05-22-14 09:36 PM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    What's the word on when the z3 is to be Re stocked there?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 01:03 AM
    This Indonesian publication claims "700 thousand" Z3's sold in 8 hours. I have a feeling that's either a Google Translate error or they need to revise their number:

BlackBerry Z3 "Jakarta" Sudah Tidak Di Produksi Lagi | Aktudas

In another one of their articles, a short comparison between the Z3 and the Nokia X:

BlackBerry Z3 vs Nokia X Android, Mana Pilihanmu ? | Aktudas
    05-23-14 02:30 AM
    What's the word on when the z3 is to be Re stocked there?

In the forum discussion here (In Indonesian), at least one person claims next week.

BTW, check out the cool wallpaper

★★★ Official Lounge BlackBerry Z3 ★★★ - Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community
    05-23-14 03:18 AM
    This Indonesian publication claims "700 thousand" Z3's sold in 8 hours. I have a feeling that's either a Google Translate error or they need to revise their number:

BlackBerry Z3 "Jakarta" Sudah Tidak Di Produksi Lagi | Aktudas

In another one of their articles, a short comparison between the Z3 and the Nokia X:

BlackBerry Z3 vs Nokia X Android, Mana Pilihanmu ? | Aktudas
    I really hope that number is true! Even if it was 70 thousand its a good start.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    05-23-14 04:45 AM
    If the Z3 had sold 700,000 in 8 hours, BB PR would be all over that news. I haven't seen any press release from BB, have you?
    Even 70,000 sales in 8 hours would be something you'd think BB might comment on.
    I guess we'll know for sure at June's ER. Coz, if this is true, there is no way that BB wouldn't headline that news!

JBB
    mnc76 likes this.
    05-23-14 05:27 AM
    It would be nice if we could buy it in europe!
    05-23-14 05:33 AM
    I wouldn't share that that many had sold until earnings call..

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 05:56 AM
    700,000 in 8 hours is a sales/hour rate some 6 times that of the iPhone's (based on some quarterly figures I found).

You really think if Z3 was outselling iPhone by 6x, even in a short burst, BB would keep that fact a secret!?

I'm still waiting for evidence that anyone owns a Z3 that isn't one of the 25,000 limited edition. Unless anyone has seen a Z3 without Jakarta on the back, there's no evidence that more than 25,000 have been sold.

JBB
    05-23-14 07:09 AM
    700,000 in 8 hours is a sales rate some 6 times that of the iPhone's (based on some quarterly figures I found).

You really think if Z3 was outselling iPhone by 6x, even in a short burst, BB would keep that fact a secret!?

Yeah, the 700k figure is not really plausible at all.

70k - could be possible.

I've been trolling some Indonesian sites and other places today about the Z3 - the overall feedback from people that have seen/used/bought it seems actually pretty good.
    05-23-14 07:16 AM
    Kind of like Spinal Tap making a comeback in Japan

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 07:17 AM
    I remember they did raised the price for z10 after it was launched....

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 07:32 AM
    Yeah, the 700k figure is not really plausible at all.

70k - could be possible.

I've been trolling some Indonesian sites and other places today about the Z3 - the overall feedback from people that have seen/used/bought it seems actually pretty good.
    Trolling? Never good

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 11:01 PM
    Trolling? Never good

Not in THAT sense of trolling.

I meant - "...navigating along the water in a slow-moving boat, with my hook... seeing what I could pick up..."

No posting, just reading.
    spikesolie likes this.
    05-23-14 11:50 PM
    BBz3 saat ini booming banget, karena baru kali ini RIM keluaein Device hebat dengan harga ala mahasiswa.
    Selama ini, banyak yg malas beli BB10 lantaran harganya selangit tapi pakenya ngebosenin.
    Tp sejak keluar z3 dan OS 10.2. Yg udah biso pake apk dari android, semuanya jd pengen coba.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-24-14 01:41 AM
    BBz3 saat ini booming banget, karena baru kali ini RIM keluaein Device hebat dengan harga ala mahasiswa.
    Selama ini, banyak yg malas beli BB10 lantaran harganya selangit tapi pakenya ngebosenin.
    Tp sejak keluar z3 dan OS 10.2. Yg udah biso pake apk dari android, semuanya jd pengen coba.

Posted via CB10
    Can you please translate it...my linguistic skills are not that great

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    05-24-14 02:44 AM
    Can you please translate it...my linguistic skills are not that great

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    All I can understand is that BlackBerry has finally made a BB10 device that's more affordable to students(?) The current prices seem to be a bit steep that's why a lot of people are hesitant to buy. Then the last part talks about installing Android apk files. Lastly about wanting to try everything out?? LoL ;p

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 02:50 AM
    All I can understand is that BlackBerry has finally made a BB10 device that's more affordable to students(?) The current prices seem to be a bit steep that's why a lot of people are hesitant to buy. Then the last part talks about installing Android apk files. Lastly about wanting to try everything out?? LoL ;p

Posted via CB10
    Okay, that's helpful...LOL )
    Thanks for the effort though

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    05-24-14 03:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Translated:

BBz3 is currently booming, because this time RIM came out a device which is in the students price range.
    All this time, many were not buying into BB10 because the price is as high as the sky and using it is boring.
    But since Z3 and OS10.2, which make it easier to install apk from android, everyone wants to give it a try.

Sorry if I'm not as on the dot with the translation, but Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia came with identical root.

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    MAJ009, web99, peter0328 and 3 others like this.
    05-24-14 03:15 AM
    Translated:

BBz3 is currently booming, because this time RIM came out a device which is in the students price range.
    All this time, many were not buying into BB10 because the price is as high as the sky and using it is boring.
    But since Z3 and OS10.2, which make it easier to install apk from android, everyone wants to give it a try.

Sorry if I'm not as on the dot with the translation, but Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia came with identical root.

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    Thanks for your efforts, very clear...

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    05-24-14 06:37 AM
    Thanks for your efforts, very clear...

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    There ya go! Jafrul to the rescue!

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 08:29 AM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    That's great to hear! Hopefully, BlackBerry has a winner here with the Z3!!

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 08:32 PM
    It's a shame Android apps don't run very fast (if they run at all) and take up to 15 seconds to load.

BlackBerry needs to get 10.3 out ASAP with its (according to reports from a number sites) drastically faster Android runtime. It also (according to reports) runs a lot of Android apps that crashed on 10.2.1 (like the latest versions of Candy Crush).

Luckily, the the Z3 seems to run most Android apps on par with the Z30 (*) (due to its Adreno 305 GPU -- the same GPU in the new HTC One Mini (M8 version)). So when 10.3 comes out, that will do a lot to deflate the old app gap concerns.while providing a good user experience.

(*) - Clearly, on more demanding apps the Z30 will perform better, but on basic apps like Instagram etc... there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 03:11 AM
265 ... 7891011