06-01-14 06:37 PM
265 ... 678910 ...
tools
    To me the Z3 is not a real BlackBerry.
    Tossed it together in 4 months. Has none of the characteristics of a BlackBerry such as where the lock button is.

I hope BlackBerry puts more thought into any future phones it sells under its name.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    05-21-14 10:51 AM
    Tossed it together in 4 months. Has none of the characteristics of a BlackBerry such as where the lock button is.

I hope BlackBerry puts more thought into any future phones it sells under its name.

You mean it's actually selling?
    05-21-14 10:54 AM

That's like the so called 'debate' that raged over the internuts when RIM back then revealed the BlackBerry Torch.
    Banco likes this.
    05-21-14 10:54 AM
    Lumia 520/521, cheap, gave WP huge boost.
    05-21-14 11:01 AM
    As some others have said, Blackberry still makes a profit but Foxconn carries the inventory risk. If you're a shareholder, you'll know that this is good news but also a sacrifice. Blackberry lost enormous amounts of cash because of unsold inventory, but did however own 100% profit on the device. In this new setup, Foxconn probably makes 90% of the profit but also carries the inventory risk. In laymen's terms, Blackberry makes a small amount on each device sold but doesn't lose any money if no devices sell. (this isn't 100% accurate because you still have to develop the software and support it, but mostly true none the less).

I think it's a good idea in the short term, especially if they're trying to become cash flow positive again without taking huge risks that could leave them bankrupt. Blackberry could have just as easily produced 10 million z3's at let's say 100 a piece which would be $ 1 billion, if only half of them sold in a quarter, that's a loss of 500 million. Considering BBRY only has like 2 billion left in cash, this would demolish their share price even more. Also, Foxconn is much better with distribution and hardware margins. I think this is all about getting more devices out there while making some money on the side just to prove there is hardware demand.

You say it's not a %100 accurate and mostly true in the same sentence......(facepalm)

I don't care if other people want a bb10 device I wanted one and that's all that matters.
    Septembersrain likes this.
    05-21-14 11:28 AM
    Lumia 520/521, cheap, gave WP huge boost.
    That device was horrible... Just my opinion.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.
    05-21-14 11:30 AM
    That device was horrible... Just my opinion.

Have to disagree thats a great device for the low tier price range.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-21-14 11:58 AM
    Have to disagree thats a great device for the low tier price range.
    It wasn't for me. It was constantly crashing out in the browser. It would get really hot. My calls dropped like crazy. Then it started to not read my SD card too... Just my experience.

gokulesh and Omnitech like this.
    05-21-14 12:02 PM
    It wasn't for me. It was constantly crashing out in the browser. It would get really hot. My calls dropped like crazy. Then it started to not read my SD card too... Just my experience.

Sounds familiar to me

Posted from my flagship Z30 10.2.1.3175/3140
    05-21-14 01:25 PM

2 of my frends got lumua 520.
    They are very pleased, they even buy more for their kids.

Like I sad, Nokia Lumia 520 did wonders to WP.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-21-14 03:51 PM

What's wrong with 4 months? Looks like they are fighting back and keeping with the competition.

Chen said BlackBerry employees handled the software development for the Z3 and supervised Foxconn?s work on its hardware in a process that took four months. ?This is probably the fastest in the industry,? he said.

Many companies now turn around new models in three to six months. Also, Indonesian wireless carriers are faster to approve new models than their American counterparts.
    http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=bec5-3071

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 06:13 PM

It does have a lock button, and its functioning as a lock button.
    05-21-14 08:44 PM
    I agree it's slightly annoying that they moved the controls around, but it will be interesting to see what designs they come up with going forward.

If they are going to delegate the industrial design parameters to Foxconn and lose a consistent design language, it will not help their brand.

And if you're building generic devices that probably doesn't matter much, but BlackBerry needs to build a premium product image to justify getting a premium price for their devices.

This is the issue some people have with returning the "belt" - it suggests that all the philosophical arguments previously made about the superiority of BB10 were sort-of hot air and you're not sure what your design focus actually is.

While I like a lot of things Chen is doing, I have serious doubts about handset industrial design and OS user-interface direction.

On my device running 10.3.0.296, it seems like every few hours I have a thought in my head "WTH were they thinking?!?". I sure hope they clear up the usability issues before they ship it.
    05-21-14 10:19 PM
    I agree it's slightly annoying that they moved the controls around, but it will be interesting to see what designs they come up with going forward.

If they are going to delegate the industrial design parameters to Foxconn and lose a consistent design language, it will not help their brand.

And if you're building generic devices that probably doesn't matter much, but BlackBerry needs to build a premium product image to justify getting a premium price for their devices.

This is the issue some people have with returning the "belt" - it suggests that all the philosophical arguments previously made about the superiority of BB10 were sort-of hot air and you're not sure what your design focus actually is.

While I like a lot of things Chen is doing, I have serious doubts about handset industrial design and OS user-interface direction.

On my device running 10.3.0.296, it seems like every few hours I have a thought in my head "WTH were they thinking?!?". I sure hope they clear up the usability issues before they ship it.
    I don't think the philosophical arguments were hot air. Chen had no choice but to bring back the belt. He needed a way to bridge the gap between bb10 and legacy devices. I an sure he is hoping these folks get used to the swiping and eventually stop using the belt and make a non belt phone their future purchase.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 11:09 PM
    I don't think the philosophical arguments were hot air. Chen had no choice but to bring back the belt. He needed a way to bridge the gap between bb10 and legacy devices. I an sure he is hoping these folks get used to the swiping and eventually stop using the belt and make a non belt phone their future purchase.

After seeing a number of interviews with him and reading a variety of quotes, I must say that the impression I get is not quite the same.

Honestly, I don't think Chen has much of a clue about the smartphone industry, tbh. He had to hire a VP that understood smartphones.

That doesn't automatically mean he can't lead the company successfully at least during a transition period, but the kinds of statements he has made suggest, among other things:

• He prefers "Classic" to Q20
    • He prefers "Research in Motion" to BlackBerry as a corporate name
    • He has allegedly criticized the idea of aggressively moving away from BIS services (I haven't seen this quote personally)
    • He has repeatedly emphasized he prefers keyboard devices to full-touch devices personally
    • The company has made a half-hearted attempt in the last 6 months to "bring back" certain BBOS features, but oftentimes in ways that don't solve problems the way they did on the old platform anyway, or they are buggy
    • Looking at BB10 software development the last 6 months or so, I'd characterize it as "rudderless"

As one of the articles I read recently put it (and I agree), I think Chen is in the process of trying to figure out what the company's identity is. And this shows, in terms of their random direction of development on the smartphone platform.

What we have seen on both BB10 and BBM is basically BlackBerry adding "Me-Too" features months or years after the competitors have them. "Vision" seems to be for all intents and purposes, absent. Even their new "Ion" "internet of things" initiative is a Me-Too move.

I am pretty consistently a fan of the company and the products but the thing that bothers me most lately is what appears to be a lack of technology vision.
    05-21-14 11:48 PM
    Anyone with a Z3 Without Jakarta inscribed? Please share picture..

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    05-22-14 05:30 AM
    Anyone with a Z3 Without Jakarta inscribed? Please share picture..

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    Yes, I'd be interested in that photo too as I believe there are only 25,000 Z3 currently built, and they're *all* the Jakarta version.

JBB
    05-22-14 05:50 AM
    Yes, I'd be interested in that photo too as I believe there are only 25,000 Z3 currently built, and they're *all* the Jakarta version.

JBB
    Yes, that's what I'm trying to gauge as well...

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-22-14 08:47 AM
    After seeing a number of interviews with him and reading a variety of quotes, I must say that the impression I get is not quite the same.

Honestly, I don't think Chen has much of a clue about the smartphone industry, tbh. He had to hire a VP that understood smartphones.

That doesn't automatically mean he can't lead the company successfully at least during a transition period, but the kinds of statements he has made suggest, among other things:

• He has allegedly criticized the idea of aggressively moving away from BIS services (I haven't seen this quote personally)
    • He has repeatedly emphasized he prefers keyboard devices to full-touch devices personally
    • The company has made a half-hearted attempt in the last 6 months to "bring back" certain BBOS features, but oftentimes in ways that don't solve problems the way they did on the old platform anyway, or they are buggy
    • Looking at BB10 software development the last 6 months or so, I'd characterize it as "rudderless"

As one of the articles I read recently put it (and I agree), I think Chen is in the process of trying to figure out what the company's identity is. And this shows, in terms of their random direction of development on the smartphone platform.

What we have seen on both BB10 and BBM is basically BlackBerry adding "Me-Too" features months or years after the competitors have them. "Vision" seems to be for all intents and purposes, absent. Even their new "Ion" "internet of things" initiative is a Me-Too move.

I am pretty consistently a fan of the company and the products but the thing that bothers me most lately is what appears to be a lack of technology vision.
    Totally agree. They seem to be in the throw and see what sticks mode and not really giving any one thing the time, effort and resources it needs to see if it is successful. The message seems different every interview. Z30 launch was the biggest disappointment I have ever seen and I really wonder why they didn't scrap it given that they put no effort into the device after launch. My hope is that with 10.3.1 release it comes with a new all touch device in addition to the Classic and Windermere and a solid marketing effort in North America to try to reinvent the BlackBerry name.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    05-22-14 10:30 AM
    I don't care specifically how many z3 units are sold. I'll be interested to see if the z3 actually generates a profit - as in making more money than it cost to develop, produce, and distribute. If it is not profitable, then BB needs to drop BB10, continue selling legacy devices until those sales dry up, and in the meantime use the company cash hoard to transform into a software/services company only. Become the Sega of mobile phones. The BB10 experiment has been noble, but if it doesn't turn around right now, I think BB is just throwing good money after bad. BB10 has so far been extraordinarily expensive for BB to develop with no return on investment in sight (if the z3 fails). Sad if they get out of handsets though.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-22-14 10:56 AM

In my experience, the smartest people are the ones that recognize what they don't know. In Chen's case it is a good sign he hired a VP with smartphone experience as it signifies that he realizes his knowledge gap and has hired someone that fill the gap.

[*]He prefers "Classic" to Q20
    I get this line of thinking. Q series phones are associated with the new direction. Classic is more in line with old design style (BELT). This should help better differentiate the two types of phones (belt vs non-belt).

[*]He prefers "Research in Motion" to BlackBerry as a corporate name
    So do I. RIM is a far better name. Changing the name to BlackBerry was a mistake. It would be like Apple changing their name to iPhone.

[*]He has allegedly criticized the idea of aggressively moving away from BIS services (I haven't seen this quote personally)
    Do you blame him? RIM is losing valuable service revenue by transitioning away from BIS. Purely from a technical perspective, BIS is yesterdays news, but the dollars it brought in were anything but. Their transition away from BIS was abysmal at best, with no plan for replacing that lost revenue.

[*]He has repeatedly emphasized he prefers keyboard devices to full-touch devices personally
    He has also said his actions are driven by meetings with customers. He is trying to give them what they are asking for. Creating a good keyboard phone will not preclude them from also creating a high end and low end touch device as well. The Z3 is a great example of this. He could have scrapped it or asked Foxconn to make a keyboard device instead.

[*]The company has made a half-hearted attempt in the last 6 months to "bring back" certain BBOS features, but oftentimes in ways that don't solve problems the way they did on the old platform anyway, or they are buggy
    Which BBOS features specifically have not worked as expected in your opinion? I do think that they have work to do to achieve feature parity with BBOS.

[*]Looking at BB10 software development the last 6 months or so, I'd characterize it as "rudderless"
    I wouldn't call it rudderless. They are in serious catch up mode. Catching up to BBOS, as well to their competitors. They are juggling multiple balls right now and implementing numerous changes. Because of this it may appear that they have no clear direction, but they are fighting for their survival and need to go all out.

Agree that they are trying to figure out who they want to be. But can you clarify what you mean by 'random direction of development on the smartphone platform'? From where I sit they are working at a feverish pace to catch up, with each new iteration of the OS being better then the previous.

I wouldn't call the features they are adding 'me too'. It is more of a case of catch up. Once caught up they can hopefully channel their efforts better on specific areas of the OS.
    gokulesh, mnc76 and ptpete like this.
    05-22-14 11:26 AM
    I don't care specifically how many z3 units are sold. I'll be interested to see if the z3 actually generates a profit - as in making more money than it cost to develop, produce, and distribute. If it is not profitable, then BB needs to drop BB10, continue selling legacy devices until those sales dry up, and in the meantime use the company cash hoard to transform into a software/services company only. Become the Sega of mobile phones. The BB10 experiment has been noble, but if it doesn't turn around right now, I think BB is just throwing good money after bad. BB10 has so far been extraordinarily expensive for BB to develop with no return on investment in sight (if the z3 fails). Sad if they get out of handsets though.

I don't see them ever getting out of the handset business as in no more Blackberry phones are ever made. I can see them getting to a point where all phone production is outsourced to Foxconn and BB10 phones are only sold to highly security conscious customers that demand an end to end solution (BES with BB handsets).

In terms of them moving to purely a SW and services company, the above model would satisfy that. BB10 is technically SW that they could continue to spend some R&D on behind the scenes, gradually improving it for their security conscious customers that still want BB10 phones.

I know it is hard for the iOS/Android crowd on this board to believe, but not every company wants to go BYOD with a fleet of Android or iOS phones.
    gokulesh likes this.
    05-22-14 12:19 PM
    I don't see them ever getting out of the handset business as in no more Blackberry phones are ever made. I can see them getting to a point where all phone production is outsourced to Foxconn and BB10 phones are only sold to highly security conscious customers that demand an end to end solution (BES with BB handsets).

In terms of them moving to purely a SW and services company, the above model would satisfy that. BB10 is technically SW that they could continue to spend some R&D on behind the scenes, gradually improving it for their security conscious customers that still want BB10 phones.

I know it is hard for the iOS/Android crowd on this board to believe, but not every company wants to go BYOD with a fleet of Android or iOS phones.
    Maybe, although the CEO of BlackBerry has explicitly stated that he would get out of the handset business if he can't make any money in it. I don't remember the exact quote, but he is clearly keeping that option on the table. Never say never.

Also, Apple and Google have almost limitless resources to put into making their devices and services more secure. BlackBerry only holds that niche so long as the big boys don't go after it. BlackBerry doesn't have some secret knowledge regarding security that is unknown to all others. It is just the only one right now really pushing it. If history is any clue, BlackBerry will do really well in an area right up until the point when they have real competition, and then not so much. Still, I like BB10 and I hope they continue to develop it.

05-22-14 01:37 PM
    In my experience, the smartest people are the ones that recognize what they don't know. In Chen's case it is a good sign he hired a VP with smartphone experience as it signifies that he realizes his knowledge gap and has hired someone that fill the gap.
    The issue isn't whether or not he recognizes where his knowledge is weak. The issue is lack of technological vision for the company and it's products. And whether Chen has hired an "expert" or not (and I have my doubts), there does not seem to be much in the way of technological vision in evidence - especially with smartphones - whether it's coming from Chen or any of the so-called "experts" he's hired as lieutenants.

I get this line of thinking. Q series phones are associated with the new direction. Classic is more in line with old design style (BELT). This should help better differentiate the two types of phones (belt vs non-belt).
    What it also does - and I would argue this is actually far more important - is leave the distinct impression that A) BlackBerry's "new improved" technology isn't good enough to be consistently presented as the newer/better way of doing things, and B) the company's technological direction consists of a random jumble of bringing back old stuff and adding things that their competitors have already had for years in some cases.

So do I. RIM is a far better name. Changing the name to BlackBerry was a mistake. It would be like Apple changing their name to iPhone.
    Once again, it leaves the impression that the company is going backwards in more ways than one. I honestly don't know why he would even mention this if there is no actual likelihood that it will change back any time in the foreseeable future.

Do you blame him? RIM is losing valuable service revenue by transitioning away from BIS. Purely from a technical perspective, BIS is yesterdays news, but the dollars it brought in were anything but. Their transition away from BIS was abysmal at best, with no plan for replacing that lost revenue.
    I absolutely blame him. BIS is a morass and an albatross around their neck that handicaps their ability to move forward in various ways. BIS is not the BlackBerry icon at the top of your screen that supports modern IP-based BlackBerry services like BBM/PIN messages/Protect/BES/etc, BlackBerry has never used that term to describe that. Let's just call those "BlackBerry services". BIS is the thing that requires special, proprietary equipment installed in every carrier's network around the world that requires special care-and-feeding solely for the benefit of a company which now has a microscopic marketshare almost everywhere in the world, and for the 3 people in the world that care about getting POP messages a little faster with a little less battery drain, more-or-less. That's like Toyota deciding to put 8-track players in every one of their cars going forward (at some non-trivial incremental cost to every car buyer), for the 3 people in the world that still think 8-track is the bees knees.

We have seen in Indonesia what the real appeal of BBOS was: when BBM became available on Android and iOS, people there deserted BBOS in droves, and simply used BBM on other smartphones. (Mostly Android. BlackBerry's marketshare in Indonesia dropped from around 30% to around 7% in one year.)

He has also said his actions are driven by meetings with customers. He is trying to give them what they are asking for. Creating a good keyboard phone will not preclude them from also creating a high end and low end touch device as well.
    I believe that he heard this in meetings with customers. As Henry Ford famously said, before his introduction of his mass-produced automobile, if he had asked people what they would like if he could give them anything to improve their transportation, most people would have probably suggested "faster horse buggies".

The real problem is creating a public perception that the company is going nowhere, and returning to the product strategy that has made them the **** of jokes for years already.

The Z3 is a great example of this. He could have scrapped it or asked Foxconn to make a keyboard device instead.
    It is my understanding that not only was the Z3/Foxconn project already in the works before Chen was hired, but that it was actually based on the "Cafe/Kopi" product series which actually had been so far along in development that Indonesia had already passed them through telecom certification there. (I do not have verification of that. I do know that at least one Cafe/Kopi device was already certified there because I saw the documentation on it from Telekom Indonesia.)

Which BBOS features specifically have not worked as expected in your opinion? I do think that they have work to do to achieve feature parity with BBOS.
    "Selective email delete" is a dumb feature that doesn't do what it does on BBOS because of fundamentally different architecture, and it was poorly designed. It breaks the basic paradigm of a synchronizing email protocol, without anything to mitigate that.

PIN messages I think will only be used by a microscopic fraction of people, and I'd bet that 95% of current BB10 users have no idea what it even is. There are others, can't think of them right now.

Whereas they could have brought back the following features and actually solved problems people need to solve:

• Save local copy of an email without turning it into a useless "document" by copy/paste kluges or an ephemeral "Remember" doc that disappears as soon as it's deleted on-server, etc.
    • Auto-BCC setting for POP email accounts
    • Timed auto-on/auto-off
    • Custom notification profiles along with fixing all the other notifications issues
    • Charging dock
    • Themes (Android beats the pants off of them with this. This is one of those ill-advised "trying to be Apple when you don't know how to do it" nonsenses from the original BB10 "vision")
    • Better text editing/cursor management/copy-paste. Instead we get (in 10.3) an "edit circle" that covers up the "paste" button, an email "multiple delete" feature that nearly hides the previous UI mechanism for that and instead, covers up the messages so you can't see what you're trying to delete any more. Among various other things.
    • Etc etc etc

I wouldn't call it rudderless. They are in serious catch up mode. Catching up to BBOS, as well to their competitors. They are juggling multiple balls right now and implementing numerous changes. Because of this it may appear that they have no clear direction, but they are fighting for their survival and need to go all out.

Of course they are fighting for their survival. And I think in part this explains someone else's complaint that they "botched the Z30 rollout". (Well, that happened right in the middle of their massive Q3 2013 financial debacle when they shortly-after lopped-off another 40% of their workforce and no longer had the ability to promote it.)

I still don't think it excuses not having any clue what to do with your products. I think it's fairly obvious that Chen's tolerance for the handset business is mostly predicated on whether they can find some success in it, and if not, he will lop it off. Unfortunately, that tends to create uncertainty in the marketplace and doesn't exactly placate customers worrying about investing in a platform that may not go anywhere. (Despite feeble corporate assurances)

Agree that they are trying to figure out who they want to be. But can you clarify what you mean by 'random direction of development on the smartphone platform'? From where I sit they are working at a feverish pace to catch up, with each new iteration of the OS being better then the previous.

I wouldn't call the features they are adding 'me too'. It is more of a case of catch up. Once caught up they can hopefully channel their efforts better on specific areas of the OS.

This post is already too long as it is - the short version is that most of the things being added do not strike me as particularly unique or visionary, and actually quite possibly half of them are actually lame and ill-advised. (ie the UI changes in 10.3 that look dumb, come across as utterly me-tooish, and actually damage the user experience)
    05-22-14 02:45 PM
    Really I don't get what most of you are saying here. Especially how it pertains to the Z3 selling out the way I see it when I got my phone about 15 months ago the operating system was still new and had a few bugs and it would freeze

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh likes this.
    05-22-14 03:03 PM
265 ... 678910 ...