06-01-14 06:37 PM
265 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Are you guys still talking about low end androids having better specs than Z3?

Ill tell you something that all androids dont have.

This powerful OS called BlackBerry 10.

A BlackBerry is a BlackBerry and it brings unique features like the hub, active frame multi tasking, BES, balance, flow its NOT an android. And there is value in a unique operating system. And if anyone cares, it has a special feature called security.

A lenovo, xiao mii, oppo, samsung, (insert whatever cheap brand here) is still an android.

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    That's the problem, nobody knows how to use it. Nobody cares about it.

Most consumers who use an iPhone or Android phone don't really know how to use it. They probably use about 10% of its capacity. So why do you think that the hub, active frames or multitasking is important to most people? Most ordinary folk here in Asia don't even check their emails on their phones.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 01:14 PM
    India know what ??? We are from Indonesia, we know better.
    AFP is the source for this Times of India article, also picked up elsewhere in Asia.
    05-19-14 01:15 PM
    I know it's hard to see with blinders on, but the NY Times is reporting the same this morning:

source
    Who lines up for phones anymore... that's what pre-orders are for.

I got an iPhone 4 2 hours after release without lining up at all... that was 3 years ago.

I got my Z10 6 hours after release, no line up.

People lined up to secure the purchase, but a pre-order does the same thing AND eliminates a line.

I'm not saying sales were amazing, but basing phone sales on lines is from 2000... let's get over it

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 01:16 PM
    Actually I hope BlackBerry indonesia put up a booth at the launch spots with a big sign which says "GET YOUR ANDROID APP HELP/INSTALLED HERE!"

Just read here (last paragraph) http://berryflow.com/2014/05/blackbe...-android-apps/ that during Jakarta launch, 1Mobile (etc) were showcased and assistance in installing was available.

Posted via CB10
    neteng1000 likes this.
    05-19-14 01:37 PM
    Just read here (last paragraph) http://berryflow.com/2014/05/blackbe...-android-apps/ that during Jakarta launch, 1Mobile (etc) were showcased and assistance in installing was available.

Posted via CB10
    Excellent! Thank you for bringing that to us.

05-19-14 01:45 PM
    I know it's hard to see with blinders on, but the NY Times is reporting the same this morning:

source
    1st, i'm not really good in english so sorry if my words confusing your reading.

i opened the source you posted, the story posted on May 18th. then said four hours tour of stores in Jakarta last week, mean they have been searching the information before the Z3 official sale in the store. Z3 official available in store about May 15th, They didn't know that there are some online stores already sales with Pre-Ordered system before the Z3 official launch on May 14th. Ask i know from reading and following online store, more than 2000 units Z3 sold out from them, Now some online stores stopped Pre-Order because out of stock. Whos bought from Pre-Ordered system got limited edition with "Jakarta" word on the back cover. John Chen said, only produced 25.000 units Z3 limited edition and won't be produced any more.

it does not matter for overseas user because nothing special with the limited edition, only back cover with "Jakarta" name. All the features are the same with global edition.
    05-19-14 01:46 PM
    blackberry and sold out.

words i thot id never see again.

chen.
    05-19-14 02:07 PM
    blackberry and sold out.

chen.
    Let's wait for NUMBERS.

Visit my Channel C00121417 ? ?
    05-19-14 02:12 PM
    Just read here (last paragraph) BlackBerry 10 Capable of Running 98% of All Android Apps | that during Jakarta launch, 1Mobile (etc) were showcased and assistance in installing was available.

Posted via CB10
    98% of Android Apps????????

That can't be a real quote for the CEO of BlackBerry.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-14 02:14 PM
    blackberry and sold out.

chen.
    What? We literally see those two words together every BB device launch! The Z10, Q10, etc. Not only that, we hear those words months after a device launch as well in threads where we're debating whether the lack of stock is due to demand or lack of merchant desire to maintain a supply. That's the reason for the skepticism on this thread.

I think I actually see Blackberry and out of stock together much more often than iPhone/Samsung/Galaxy and out of stock. When fans from those factions boast, they use actual sales or device shipped numbers.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-14 02:18 PM
    Loving this smarter, leaner, BlackBerry (as a company and I guess the phone )
    05-19-14 02:53 PM
    If the Z3 continues to sell well, then probably we will see the next all touch flagship coming this year..... just thinking

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 02:56 PM
    If the Z3 continues to sell well, then probably we will see the next all touch flagship coming this year..... just thinking

Posted via CB10
    First I want see a increase of top 100 apps... like shpock,banking apps, Google apps, etc..
    And i mean not 3rd party native...

More users/Z3 sells = More apps = much more users

Visit my Channel C00121417 ? ?
    menshawy likes this.
    05-19-14 03:06 PM
    As long as its not selling like hotcakes. Demand for those seem to die out rather quickly
    JeepBB and m1kr0 like this.
    05-19-14 04:22 PM
    Tell that to the media
    Posted via CB10
    True enough

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    05-19-14 04:41 PM
    Nice read, positivity coming through
    http://www.eweek.com/mobile/blackber...s-success.html

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    05-19-14 04:49 PM
    Especially since everyone here is tied up with the fact that Moto E is the best budget friendly phone ever.
    My previous post about the Moto E, re-posted from here:

Oh and for those who keep waving around the Moto E as if it is actually competition, a few stats for you:

• NO front camera
    • NO camera flash
    • Sluggish camera
    • 4.3" display (Z3 is 5")
    • Over 30% thicker than the Z3
    • 4GB internal storage (Z3 has 8GB)
    • Lower-end Qualcomm SoC
    • Smaller battery (1980 mAh vs 2500 mAh on Z3)

m1kr0 and Beastly82 like this.
    05-19-14 05:08 PM

Thanks for that, though it should be noted that eWeek is one of the few tech publications that has been fairly consistently positive about BlackBerry.

What I'm waiting for is comparative reviews from Indonesian tech publications. The only "reviews" I've seen cited so far have been from BlackBerry-centric publications and blogs.

For example from this organization, the only one that that I've seen so far that did live coverage of the launch event, BTW:

Chip Online Indonesia

They did a nice overview of Indonesian-local apps for BB10 - Google Translate does a decent job if you don't speak the language:

7 Latest BlackBerry 10 Applications (Chip Online Indonesia)
    05-19-14 05:22 PM
    Just read here (last paragraph) BlackBerry 10 Capable of Running 98% of All Android Apps | that during Jakarta launch, 1Mobile (etc) were showcased and assistance in installing was available.

I sure hope they are not pushing 1Mobile, I keep hearing about people downloading malware-infested apps from that site.

And about that 98% quote - apparently it's accurate and it's been quoted all over the place now.

Open the floodgates, this should be interesting...
    05-19-14 05:27 PM
    98% of Android Apps????????

That can't be a real quote for the CEO of BlackBerry.

As I just posted, apparently it was. Do a google search for the quote and one of the top hits is the original WSJ article page about the interview with Chen. (Which you have to have a subscription to read, which I don't.)

Feel free to verify:

BlackBerry's CEO Takes Long-Term View - WSJ.com
    05-19-14 05:29 PM
    My previous post about the Moto E, re-posted from here:

Oh and for those who keep waving around the Moto E as if it is actually competition, a few stats for you:

• NO front camera
    • NO camera flash
    • Sluggish camera
    • 4.3" display (Z3 is 5")
    • Over 30% thicker than the Z3
    • 4GB internal storage (Z3 has 8GB)
    • Lower-end Qualcomm SoC
    • Smaller battery (1980 mAh vs 2500 mAh on Z3)

But... but... the Z3 is outdated and cannot compete. LOL.

The for posting the above.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-19-14 08:28 PM
    This is great news. That is what BlackBerry needs with all devices. I remember when it was that way with all newly released BlackBerry devices.

When I was at Bell many years ago, in many cases people had pre-ordered BlackBerry devices before they were released.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-19-14 10:06 PM
    Moto E is $50-75 less than the Z3 so they don't compete directly. Its marketed for first time touchphone users and those who might otherwise still chose a feature phone. It will sell a bundle. Z3 vs Moto G is what the consumer will be weighing in terms of Motorola.
    Allwyn John likes this.
    05-20-14 12:09 AM
    Moto E is $50-75 less than the Z3 so they don't compete directly.

Yet people here keep bringing it up as if this is something that the Z3 is supposed to compete with. Thus my clarification of its parameters.

Its marketed for first time touchphone users and those who might otherwise still chose a feature phone. It will sell a bundle.

That's nice. And if they lose $10 on each unit sold, they'll just "make it up in volume", amirite?

Because that's what Nokia was doing with Asha devices before Microsoft bought them. Good thing too, because they needed to be propped-up financially. And Motorola was not making money prior to being sold to Lenovo, either. Hopefully Lenovo can do something with the cost structure.

BlackBerry is in no position to waste precious and limited resources throwing money at a money-losing business. Regardless how many clueless punters who have never run a business think that "gaining marketshare" is the only thing a company needs to think about. Which is why for whatever smartphone business they involve themselves in, they have to make money somehow. They do not have the deep pockets of their competitors to allow such follies.
    05-20-14 12:46 AM
    That's nice. And if they lose $10 on each unit sold, they'll just "make it up in volume", amirite?

Because that's what Nokia was doing with Asha devices before Microsoft bought them. Good thing too, because they needed to be propped-up financially. And Motorola was not making money prior to being sold to Lenovo, either. Hopefully Lenovo can do something with the cost structure.

BlackBerry is in no position to waste precious and limited resources throwing money at a money-losing business. Regardless how many clueless punters who have never run a business think that "gaining marketshare" is the only thing a company needs to think about. Which is why for whatever smartphone business they involve themselves in, they have to make money somehow. They do not have the deep pockets of their competitors to allow such follies.
    As far as I can tell the Moto strategy in new markets is to sell primarily online initially, and avoid the costly overhead of retail stores and advertising. The company losses are primary from right here in the US of A where operating in the smartphone space is very expensive. Their under the radar has worked pretty well thus far they went from zilch to 6% marketshare in the UK. The low end and even middle market where the Z3 is positioned doesn't make a whole lot of money which is why Apple/Samsung literally take all the industry profits. Even if successful I don't expect the Z3 to do much for BB balance sheet so its a misnomer to say the Z3 strategy is better than any other. From my perspective the Z3 is a stop loss phone, to keep existing BB users from migrating to other platforms, actually gaining marketshare would be an unexpected pleasant surprise. The challenge for all smartphone makers is to keep the users and have them buy more expensive models the 2nd time around.
    05-20-14 02:21 AM
265 ... 45678 ...