06-01-14 05:37 PM
265 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Actually I hope BlackBerry indonesia put up a booth at the launch spots with a big sign which says "GET YOUR ANDROID APP HELP/INSTALLED HERE!"

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    05-18-14 08:25 PM
    Thats extremely clever.

But how does the average user install androids apps is the question.

Dont get me wrong we all know how to do it but the average joe and jane would not.

We've discussed this in other threads - there is an extensive fine-print disclaimer at the bottom of those ads.

I was a bit surprised at the boldness of it myself - but it makes sense they would send up the trial balloon in Asia and not in a more developed and litigation-friendly place like the USA.

Especially since Android has been eviscerating their market-share in that country for the last year or so.

I agree that they need to support users, and it will also be very interesting to see what direction they take wrt to Android apps.

As world traveler and former ceo says - I sure hope they are listening to users this time, taking their input into account, and adjusting as necessary.

Though if they are going to start pre-installing app stores - better that they have some hand in it so they can pre-filter the stuff that doesn't work - and 1Mobile would not be on my personal list as they have a reputation for distributing malware. Last thing BB10 needs...
    Last edited by Omnitech; 05-19-14 at 01:50 AM.
    05-18-14 08:26 PM
    If only BlackBerry had a vision to be a mobile computing platform and could release software where you could, for instance, splice together a movie or presentation on the go.
    I think that's what Express does as does Story Maker
    05-18-14 08:48 PM
    And BB will produce a new phone for BB lovers in Indonesia its called the BB classic!
    Get off the negative trip, besides you tell me what budget android phone has had people lining up for three straight days?
    Name one, please I'm very curious!
    One+ One
    05-18-14 08:50 PM
    whats sweet about this? its not BlackBerry selling these devices its Foxconn, BlackBerry may gain market share and small licensing fees, but its mainly Foxconn making these profits

I don't see this as a bad thing right now, to be honest. If they end up growing the installed base of BlackBerry 10 as a whole and don't lose their shirts in the process, I view this as a successful proof of concept.
    05-18-14 08:53 PM
    We've discussed this in other threads - there is an extensive fine-print disclaimer at the bottom of those ads.

I was a bit surprised at the boldness of it myself - but it makes sense they would send up the trial balloon in Asia and not in a more developed and litigation-friendly place like the USA.

Especially since Android has been eviscerating their market-share in that country for the last year or so.

I agree that they need to support users, and it will also be very interesting what direction they take that wrt to Android apps.

As world traveler and former ceo says - I sure hope they are listening to users this time, taking their input into account, and adjusting as necessary.

Though if they are going to start pre-installing app stores - better that they have some hand in it so they can pre-filter the stuff that doesn't work - and 1Mobile would not be on my personal list as they have a reputation for distributing malware. Last thing BB10 needs...
    I will rejoice because now BlackBerry is playing the game as they should! After all its business. ;-)

I can understand the implications of an app like SNAP which grabs apks directly from google play. But are there any penalties from pre installed say aptoide?

05-18-14 09:12 PM
    Are you guys still talking about low end androids having better specs than Z3?

Ill tell you something that all androids dont have.

This powerful OS called BlackBerry 10.

A BlackBerry is a BlackBerry and it brings unique features like the hub, active frame multi tasking, BES, balance, flow its NOT an android. And there is value in a unique operating system. And if anyone cares, it has a special feature called security.

A lenovo, xiao mii, oppo, samsung, (insert whatever cheap brand here) is still an android.

Then there is no reason for BB not to do well in Asia. Xiaomi sold more than 10 million devices in the past quarter, how many do you think BB can manage in a year.
    05-18-14 10:07 PM
    It seems like a lot of assumptions without many facts to back it up.

I realize everyone has their opinion was just curious what you were basing your numbers off of.

Posted via CB10
    Speculation.
    05-18-14 10:10 PM
    I'm happy that Blackberry is doing well. It's obvious that the price tag is a huge factor and I really hope they learn something from the success of the Z3.

Going from the 9900 to the Iphone 4S and now the Nexus 5 I can tell you right now that I will never look at another $500+ dollar device. I'm seeing more and more companies follow the Nexus by offering affordable devices of their own such as the Moto E and the Minis. It's a trend that will continue. My only wish is that Blackberry listens to it's consumers and it's position in the market and acts accordingly.
    05-18-14 10:32 PM
    all 5 pcs
    If sold, although 1 million, it would be the praised and not posted ALL.
    05-19-14 02:39 AM
    Then there is no reason for BB not to do well in Asia. Xiaomi sold more than 10 million devices in the past quarter, how many do you think BB can manage in a year.
    7million not more than 10 million:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...30oql8dAjkSIdQ

Its easy when all you have to do is assemble hardware and have the strength in your local market and slap on a popular free OS.

Id like to see all these cheap startups try their hand at value creation like building their own operating system. Something built on intellectual property.

Cant really compare.

05-19-14 02:50 AM

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...30oql8dAjkSIdQ

Its easy when all you have to do is assemble hardware and have the strength in your local market and slap on a popular free OS.

Id like to see all these cheap startups try their hand at value creation like building their own operating system. Something built on intellectual property.

Cant really compare.

Actually Xiaomi apparently uses a somewhat customized version of Android. On the other hand they've been accused of baldly aping Apple to the point that the founder dresses like Jobs did and emulates the way he introduced products and everything.

In short, I agree with you.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-19-14 03:00 AM

Apple, Be Afraid: China's Xiaomi Going Global - Forbes

Cant really compare.

7 million or 11 million, Xiaomi also set a target for 60 million devices this year, but who's counting.

No reason for a company to create their own operating system, when there is Android. But their version of it, is smooth as butter.

I don't think the Z3 can be compared to the Samsung S5, at least not in price. But the Xiaomi device that is similar in spec and at less than half the price of the S5, easily gives the S5 a run for the money. If one is good at haggling, about 70 bucks more than the Z3. Xiaomi is in a different league. And their devices are really cool.
    05-19-14 03:41 AM
    7 million or 11 million, Xiaomi also set a target for 60 million devices this year, but who's counting.

No reason for a company to create their own operating system, when there is Android. But their version of it, is smooth as butter.

I don't think the Z3 can be compared to the Samsung S5, at least not in price. But the Xiaomi device that is similar in spec and at less than half the price of the S5, easily gives the S5 a run for the money. If one is good at haggling, about 70 bucks more than the Z3. Xiaomi is in a different league. And their devices are really cool.
    From what ive read it seems like xiaomi are trying to flood the market with cheaper than cheap android phones and their profitability is very very low. We'll see how it pans out, I really think most of these android phones have reached a point where they are almost disposable.

Thats just the thing. BlackBerry doesnt need to sell 70 million a year to be profitable. I think bring a niche player is all they need to be right now.

All that matters is that they have a place in the market.

05-19-14 03:50 AM
    From what ive read it seems like xiaomi are trying to flood the market with cheaper than cheap android phones and their profitability is very very low. We'll see how it pans out, I really think most of these android phones have reached a point where they are almost disposable.

Thats just the thing. BlackBerry doesnt need to sell 70 million a year to be profitable. I think bring a niche player is all they need to be right now.

All that matters is that they have a place in the market.

This is still a cut throat business. Given their followings in Asia, even at cheaper than cheap their profits should still be rather decent. Keep it cheap and customers will find the upgrades affordable, especially when other Androids in the game can be just as hot.
    05-19-14 04:00 AM
    This is still a cut throat business. Given their followings in Asia, even at cheaper than cheap their profits should still be rather decent. Keep it cheap and customers will find the upgrades affordable, especially when other Androids in the game can be just as hot.

Spoken as if from a pure customer perspective, not someone who has experience running a business.

There is a long list of advantages a locally-based company like Xiaomi has when doing business in China, not least of which are various governmental perks that will never be available to a company like BlackBerry. Have you ever noticed how when a local company does something that makes people there unhappy, it rarely hits the news unless it's on a massive scale like the baby formula scandal, yet when it comes to complaints about foreign companies operating there, the government removes their usual draconian rules at the drop of a hat and let people out into the streets to scream and shout about them?

Trying to compete head-to-head with a company like that is pointless.

I actually would have liked to see a partnership with Lenovo for that reason, as they enjoy most of those local advantages but they have a history of operating ethically and they have a global perspective and management. They're probably not as flexible or capable as Hon Hai/Foxconn is from a contract manufacturing perspective though, and Foxconn has the benefit of being based in a democratic and western-friendly country.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-19-14 04:31 AM
    Spoken as if from a pure customer perspective, not someone who has experience running a business.
    Of course there is a lot more to it which I won't talk about it here and in relation to BB in that part of the world. But this is fan boy forum. Not a serious place for such chats in my opinion, sorry.

There is a long list of advantages a locally-based company like Xiaomi has when doing business in China, not least of which are various governmental perks that will never be available to a company like BlackBerry. Have you ever noticed how when a local company does something that makes people there unhappy, it rarely hits the news unless it's on a massive scale like the baby formula scandal, yet when it comes to complaints about foreign companies operating there, the government removes their usual draconian rules at the drop of a hat and let people out into the streets to scream and shout about them?

Trying to compete head-to-head with a company like that is pointless.
    Doing business is about adapting to the rules in a country, not by rules one is familiar with and used to.
    Last edited by Bishkin; 05-19-14 at 04:54 AM.
    05-19-14 04:44 AM
    Doing business is about adapting to the rules in a country, not by rules one is familiar with and used to.

The only way BlackBerry could adapt to the rules I'm talking about is move their global headquarters to China and hire only local people.

Beyond that, as I have stated many times before, BlackBerry cannot compete on absolute retail price or retail-price-per-feature with companies that have dramatically lower costs than they do for various reasons.

Sometimes (as with Xiaomi) it's because the other competitor does not generate unique IP and require the investments and infrastructure to do that, and benefits from "home court advantage" in their home country. Sometimes (as with Samsung), they are a massive vertically-integrated global manufacturing powerhouse that will always have lower costs and better access to components due to their huge structural and market advantages.

BlackBerry's only hope in the market at this point is to compete on the basis of their unique value-add. And this is not impossible to achieve - Apple for example has been doing it for decades.
    05-19-14 05:15 AM
    Of course there is a lot more to it which I won't talk about it here and in relation to BB in that part of the world. But this is fan boy forum. Not a serious place for such chats in my opinion, sorry.

I have come across plenty of well thought out arguments and valuable contributions made by the CB community. Let not belittle other people's contributions shall we?

BlackBerry is a very different business to xiaomi. Dont forget that BlackBerry is made up of MDM BES, QNX, BBM and various software driven technologies like cryptography, cloud based solutions and the such.

Xiaomi is only now venturing globally where else even the new BlackBerry, the one that is not only a devices company has been a global player for a while.

Advantages in the local market dont necessarily translate to global success. Look at HTC for example, they are not failing but far from successful in the grand scheme of things.

Samsung as omnitech mentioned is a completely different beast. They have patents or parts on (almost) every single piece of tech out there with a screen.

Even looking at BlackBerry devices itself one can see how it differentiates from the rest of the market offerings but again it takes the market to see the value in it.

It not about mass consumerism with BlackBerry. Which is the case with apple and android. BlackBerry balance is one fine example. Its a mix of enterprise and consumer. All im hoping is that the global market as a whole sees value in that.

elGuapoTorres likes this.
    05-19-14 06:15 AM
    But the media is reporting that only a few people cued up to buy them

BlackBerry Z3 gets lukewarm response in Indonesia - The Times of India

I love this quote:

"I prefer a phone that functions like a mini computer, and I don't see that with BlackBerry,"

If only BlackBerry had a vision to be a mobile computing platform and could release software where you could, for instance, splice together a movie or presentation on the go.
    India know what ??? We are from Indonesia, we know better.

Said 25,000 units only for "jakarta" edition, now the stock limited. Some store raising the price, lucky that i bought with pre-ordered at the first.
    Z3 sold out across Indonesia (Merchants raising pirices)-img_20140517_140954.jpg
    05-19-14 11:00 AM

Said 25,000 units only for "jakarta" edition, now the stock limited. Some store raising the price, lucky that i bought with pre-ordered at the first.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140517_140954.jpg 
Views:	974 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	271954
    Very nice! Apa khabar from Malaysia! I hope you are enjoying your Z3!

Would you like to comment? Any problems?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 11:10 AM

I know it's hard to see with blinders on, but the NY Times is reporting the same this morning:

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Indonesians have long loved BlackBerry devices. When the company introduced a new phone two and a half years ago, a crowd at shopping mall here became so unruly — in part because of a half-price offer for the first 1,000 buyers — that riot police were rushed in to stand by.

But even in Indonesia, BlackBerry’s fortunes have changed. Last week, when the company started selling the Z3, a smartphone it made specifically for this market, consumers reacted with a collective shrug.

While a four-hour tour of stores in Jakarta last week found no lines for, and relatively little shopper interest in, the phone, BlackBerry said in a blog post that the Z3 had attracted substantial interest and had sold out by Friday. It did not provide any sales figures.
    source
    05-19-14 11:34 AM
    Waiting for the release in India. Not that I'm going to buy it, already have the Z30, but I wonder how good a market it'll be.
    Especially since everyone here is tied up with the fact that Moto E is the best budget friendly phone ever.

Posted via CB10 on my lovely z30 B)
    05-19-14 11:41 AM
    I know it's hard to see with blinders on, but the NY Times is reporting the same this morning:

source
    Dude, I seriously doubt this report, how specific is this report? Last week? The device just got available on what 15th? So that takes out good 3 days out...maybe they surveyed a couple of days before the availability when the device was launched but was not available..if you can't trust reports of sell outs saying that how many were sold no one knows..you can't similarly accept such a vague report of 'last week' by NYT..

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    05-19-14 11:46 AM
    [QUOTE=BruvvaPete;10369631]
    Um, it's just a pretty general assumption going off of typical licensing deals. There's a general sense of reasonableness if you've seen a lot of licensing case studies... [/qoute]

People need to stop using assumptions like they're facts. Cite sources.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    Tell that to the media

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 12:12 PM
265 ... 34567 ...