05-20-14 12:06 AM
26 12
tools
    Nice BB this should be very exciting for a lot of BB lovers in Indonesia.
    BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition CONSUMER LAUNCH. 16... - Forum Komunitas Dukungan BlackBerry

Deals, giveaways, contests, looking real promising on the marketing side!!
    Keep moving

Day two pics Wow what great buzz http://t.co/ncyQvfMsNO
    Last edited by 40blind40; 05-17-14 at 06:17 PM.
    05-16-14 12:11 AM
    If you Translate the page, it says Android App Compatible !!! First time I think I've seen that promoted by BlackBerry, good on em!!
    andre3030 likes this.
    05-16-14 12:24 AM
    Yes crazy days at BB, I like the exclaimer, Android is a trademark of Google and doesn't support this practise lol.
    05-16-14 12:27 AM
    Yes crazy days at BB, I like the exclaimer, Android is a trademark of Google and doesn't support this practise lol.

Yes, interesting. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Up until now, BB have been a bit shy about publically promoting the Android player - presumably fearing legal wrath.
    I guess at this point in the game, BB think they've nothing to lose.

JBB
    05-16-14 02:16 AM
    Yes, interesting.
    Up until now, BB have been a bit shy about publically promoting the Android player - presumably fearing legal wrath.
    I guess at this point in the game, BB think they've nothing to lose.
    Someone else posted a picture of the ad with that statement, I had a similiar reaction.. and waiting for them to post back with the exact wording of the disclaimer, which I am very curious about.

Somehow I don't think that they are "Bold" enough to make a similar claim in a North American or European market, yet. They may be testing the waters in Indonesia. Especially since there's lots of evidence that Android has been decimating their marketshare there lately, particularly after they released cross-platform BBM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-16-14 03:08 AM
    And here is the Android disclaimer on that Indonesian advertisement, courtesy of "Joe Clean".

About what I expected: they are being very careful to manage expectations, which is prudent:

"Android apps can be downloaded directly from 3rd party Android app stores, which can be accessed on the internet - allowing you to enjoy some of the world's most popular titles. However, not all Android apps are supported and compability may vary by smartphone and/or source."
    05-16-14 05:33 AM
    And here is the Android disclaimer on that Indonesian advertisement, courtesy of "Joe Clean".

About what I expected: they are being very careful to manage expectations, which is prudent:

Yes, very carefully worded indeed. I wonder if they'll be bold enough to use similar words in Western BB10 markets? ๐Ÿ˜Š

JBB
    05-16-14 05:47 AM
    Not too much twitter action going on unfortunately

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 09:49 AM
    Not too much twitter action going on unfortunately
    Yeah, the lack of social media buzz surrounding Z3 has been mentioned. And mainstream media reports aren't numerous either. There's been a couple of local media links posted by Indonesian CB'ers, and they won't make for reassuring reading by BB, but other media reports are nowhere to be seen.

Two possible explanations immediately spring to mind:

1) The Z3 launch hasn't started well and the anticipated demand hasn't materialised, or
    2) The vast and global media conspiracy designed to destroy BlackBerry is being super-effective in suppressing news.

Both explanations are equally likely, I think you'll agree.
    Troy Tiscareno and NYC10065 like this.
    05-16-14 10:22 AM
    1) The Z3 launch hasn't started well and the anticipated demand hasn't materialised, or
    The only individuals anticipating any demand for the Z3 are Crackberrians.

According to Garnok, Foxconn manufactured ~25k devices and Indostat and XL, Blackberry's two main Indonesian partners, should have ordered ~4k units total so, if you think the Z3 will sell a million units, the joke's on you. Blackberry certainly isn't betting on the mass success of the Z3.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    05-16-14 11:21 AM
    They made 25,000 Jakarta special edition signed models who knows how many Z3s in total. I don't know and I'm pretty sure that you don't either.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 11:41 AM
    They made 25,000 Jakarta special edition signed models who knows how many Z3s in total. I don't know and I'm pretty sure that you don't either.

Posted via CB10
    If I was a betting man, I'd wager that ALL of the current production run of Z3's are the "limited" edition.

It's a big enough number to provide sufficient handsets in the event of popular demand whilst they re-started the production line, but a small enough number not to cost them hugely in inventory costs if the demand isn't as great. And, all "limited" edition because 25,000 is a small enough production run (in Foxconn terms) that re-tooling for a "standard" Z3 would be an unnecessary extra cost.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    05-16-14 01:17 PM
    Yep, everyone is speculating at this point.
    05-16-14 04:33 PM
    If I was a betting man, I'd wager that ALL of the current production run of Z3's are the "limited" edition.

It's a big enough number to provide sufficient handsets in the event of popular demand whilst they re-started the production line, but a small enough number not to cost them hugely in inventory costs if the demand isn't as great. And, all "limited" edition because 25,000 is a small enough production run (in Foxconn terms) that re-tooling for a "standard" Z3 would be an unnecessary extra cost.

There's no need for retooling anything. The Jakarta edition has that name engraved on the back cover. Everything else is the same, unless they changed the packaging slightly.

Very minor production distinction. They do a run of 25,000 back covers with a slightly different finish and that's it. The rest is interchangeable.
    05-16-14 04:40 PM
    There's no need for retooling anything. The Jakarta edition has that name engraved on the back cover. Everything else is the same, unless they changed the packaging slightly.

Very minor production distinction. They do a run of 25,000 back covers with a slightly different finish and that's it. The rest is interchangeable.
    This is a single production run in one plant, that most likely made the Z3 for a week and has been shifted to other products. The haven't dedicated a plant to continuous production of the Z3. If it is necessary they will add production for another run.

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-16-14 06:19 PM
    Consumer market is all about apps! hope this phone sells decently. This would encourage developers to keep working with BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 11:21 PM
    Here's some coverage from AFP (Agence France Presse) about the reception in Indonesia for the Z3 so far.

Muted reception for new BlackBerry in Indonesia | AFP.com

Regardless of the numbers manufactured or shipped (no one other than BBRY and Foxconn really knows for sure), the fact that queues for the phone can be counted in the "dozens" in a country like Indonesia where purchasing phones at a physical location is almost universal (vs doing so online), should be of concern to BBRY. Let's not forget that BBRY and Foxconn specifically targeted Indonesia for this launch through its marketing and branding efforts. Chen, himself, talked about "millions" of units sold.

Dozens do not equal millions.

I remember being in Jakarta in December 2012 and was wondering why there were queues outside a 7-11 at midnight and was told by my local partner that it was for the iPhone. The queue was similar to the queues you'd see at an Apple Store in Manhattan -- and I didn't realize that 7-11 sold iPhones but I guess they do in Indonesia. And this was in a market which analysts said was not a "mass market" for the iPhone due pricing. So when you read articles describing queues involving "dozens" for a sub-$200 BB device, you can pretty much assume that this isn't going well.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-17-14 10:00 AM
    I saw that story too! Have to wait and see but I am not so sure about the lining up bits
    Increasingly people are buying stuff online.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 10:10 AM
    How can you possibly say that it obviously isn't going well when it sold out in two days. Did you expect it to sell out in 5 minutes.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 04:15 PM
    How can you possibly say that it obviously isn't going well when it sold out in two days. Did you expect it to sell out in 5 minutes.

Posted via CB10
    With only 33 posts, you might not be aware of the deep suspicion many here feel when the phrase "sold out" is used in connection with a BB10 device.

The Z10 and Q10 were both regularly and repeatedly sold-out... and it later emerged that those sell-outs were carefully stage-managed and were no such thing - essentially lies.

Later, millions of those "sold-out" (but in reality unwanted) Z10's were written down at the cost to BB of Billions of dollars.

So, "sold-out" makes quite a few here narrow their eyes and wonder if this is another scam.
    05-19-14 04:24 PM
    With only 33 posts, you might not be aware of the deep suspicion many here feel when the phrase "sold out" is used in connection with a BB10 device.

The Z10 and Q10 were both regularly and repeatedly sold-out... and it later emerged that those sell-outs were carefully stage-managed and were no such thing - essentially lies.

Later, millions of those "sold-out" (but in reality unwanted) Z10's were written down at the cost to BB of Billions of dollars.

So, "sold-out" makes quite a few here narrow their eyes and wonder if this is another scam.

That's really an unfair spin.

Yes, the earlier devices were "sold out" - the issue is that there were not initially that many devices available to sell. ie in the UK Z10 launch, they basically gave a limited initial stock to a single retailer, and they did initially sell out of those.

Whereas the excess inventory you speak of became an issue much later in the year, no way that production was part of the initial production run.

I understand the trepidation to make too many assumptions about "sold out" - but the critics here are taking that whole bit way too far in the direction of pure negativity, at this point.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-19-14 04:35 PM
    That's really an unfair spin.

Yes, the earlier devices were "sold out" - the issue is that there were not initially that many devices available to sell. ie in the UK Z10 launch, they basically gave a limited initial stock to a single retailer, and they did initially sell out of those.

Whereas the excess inventory you speak of became an issue much later in the year, no way that production was part of the initial production run.

I understand the trepidation to make too many assumptions about "sold out" - but the critics here are taking that whole bit way too far in the direction of pure negativity, at this point.
    Interesting you should use the term "spin".

I've always understood that term to equate to lying by means of using selective information to present and support a false premise. Politicians are always spinning.

I'm in the UK and followed the Z10 launch with interest. I saw repeated PR from BB mentioning the sell-outs as evidence of the popularity of the Z10. However, I don't recall any caveats from BB that stores only had handfuls of Z10s to sell and that "sold-out" might be misleading.

Now *that* is spin!

Guess we'll find out if the Z3 sold-outs have substance at the ER.
    05-19-14 04:48 PM
    Interesting you should use the term "spin".

I've always understood that term to equate to lying by means of using selective information to present and support a false premise.

It was your implication that the later overstock of Z10s were part of the initial "sell out" that I was referring-to in particular. That was definitely a bit of highly implausible spin, yep.

I'm in the UK and followed the Z10 launch with interest. I saw repeated PR from BB mentioning the sell-outs as evidence of the popularity of the Z10. However, I don't recall any caveats from BB that stores only had handfuls of Z10โ€™s to sell and that "sold-out" might be misleading.

I agree that there was a bit of image management there with the limited quantities and limited retailers. But to put some perspective on that:

A) I don't blame the company for trying to create buzz. Apple is the master of that*, it's just that they're also selling more than BB does so people don't seem to care much. Certainly not the incessant BlackBerry critics here.

B) BlackBerry faithful were desperate for some good news and honestly, the Z10 launch was music to their ears. It's not incredibly surprising that they seized on the positive a bit more than the negative.

C) I think the real sales deflation of the Z10 came several months later, along with the lukewarm reception to the Q10. There were a variety of reasons for this, not least BlackBerry's poor software execution, broken app promises, poor marketing, and poor communications and support overall. The US carriers dragging their feet certainly did not help, nor did the incessant Wall St. bears with questionable financial interests whose discourse poisoned all sorts of things before the product had a chance to get off the starting-line.

*(To the point where the founder of Chinese Android device seller Xiaomi apparently became obsessed with Steve Jobs, adopted his habits and even dress, and modeled all Xiaomi's launch events etc. after Apple's practices.)

You know what I find entertaining? According to a recent article on Seeking Alpha, apparently there are Chinese and Korean "device cloners" that are making Android smartphones that look like Z10s and Z30s.
    05-19-14 04:59 PM
    Here's some coverage from AFP (Agence France Presse) about the reception in Indonesia for the Z3 so far.

Muted reception for new BlackBerry in Indonesia | AFP.com

Regardless of the numbers manufactured or shipped (no one other than BBRY and Foxconn really knows for sure), the fact that queues for the phone can be counted in the "dozens" in a country like Indonesia where purchasing phones at a physical location is almost universal (vs doing so online), should be of concern to BBRY. Let's not forget that BBRY and Foxconn specifically targeted Indonesia for this launch through its marketing and branding efforts. Chen, himself, talked about "millions" of units sold.

Dozens do not equal millions.

I remember being in Jakarta in December 2012 and was wondering why there were queues outside a 7-11 at midnight and was told by my local partner that it was for the iPhone. The queue was similar to the queues you'd see at an Apple Store in Manhattan -- and I didn't realize that 7-11 sold iPhones but I guess they do in Indonesia. And this was in a market which analysts said was not a "mass market" for the iPhone due pricing. So when you read articles describing queues involving "dozens" for a sub-$200 BB device, you can pretty much assume that this isn't going well.
    Where did chen mention millions sold?

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    05-19-14 11:09 PM
    Where did chen mention millions sold?

It was Thorsten Heins who famously predicted selling "millions" of Q10s. I don't think any company official has made such predictions subsequently.

Chen has stated figures of "millions" in regards to how many the company has actually sold, or how many might be the least that he would consider would continue to make the smartphone business viable, but I do not think he has made any specific predictions on that front.

He's a heck of a lot dumber than I thought if he has.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-14 11:38 PM
26 12