Kik breaks the 100 million mark as its HTML5-based Cards platform gains steam | MobileSyrup.com

"....Today, Waterloo-based Kik announced that nearly a year after it launched a mobile-first HTML5 app platform, the company now boasts 100 million users, many of whom have used one or more of the quickly-growing library of Cards.

While Kik is still a free instant messenger at heart, Cards have given it a new method to attract users and, for the first time, earn money. When we spoke to Heather Galt, Kiks Vice President of Marketing, in April, the company had just crossed the 50 million user mark, and was rapidly adding new utility cards, such as meme sharing and basic drawing, to the list. Since then, the company has been adding users at a daily rate of 200,000, and has announced partnerships with notable game developers, Zynga and Koa.la, the latter introducing a simple photo dress-up game, Costume Party, that surpassed a million activations in the first day.

Now, 145 million Cards have been opened over iOS and Android, the two supported mobile operating systems, and the company is making money, both from ads and sponsored partnerships such as 1D, an interactive way to share One Direction content with other Kik users. Indeed, Galt tells me that 83% of Kik Cards are opened via sharing between users, which lends the platform an inherent virality. Though the company does not admit as much, that iOS users can only add Cards via sharing (likely due to the ambiguity around whether individual Cards are considered purchases, and thus subject to Apples ToS) pads the statistic significantly."
    12-12-13 12:43 PM
    I have a feeling bbm is also at or beyond 100 million now

Sent from my Z30
    12-12-13 12:48 PM
    Worrying part from the article is it looks like Kik is already successfully making money from their service, while BBM still has that hurdle ahead. I'm hoping Channels will be big.
    TGR1 likes this.
    12-12-13 01:03 PM
    Possibly so.

Thing is, whilst other (successful) companies boast of their achievements via press releases, BB seems to think the numbers are secret information.
    12-12-13 01:04 PM
    Did Kik release what their "user" criteria is in terms of activity (e.g., frequency of use)?
    12-12-13 03:36 PM
    No, don't think so. There's no way to tell if its active users or just downloads, from the article at least.
    12-12-13 03:59 PM
    The problem we have here in Puerto Rico is that it's frequented highly by pedofiles.
    12-12-13 04:41 PM
    I see what you are doing. Unfortunately there is no way to separate the fact from marketing fud and all instant messengers would be clamoring for position so Kik may release numbers that indicate downloads but not active users. I'm not saying that's the case.
    12-12-13 11:57 PM
    No, don't think so. There's no way to tell if its active users or just downloads, from the article at least.
    It's the same problem with BBM. Sure it comes pre-installed on BlackBerries, but who knows how many BlackBerry owners actually actively use BBM. I'm sure it's not 100%.
    12-13-13 12:43 AM

Sent from my Z30
    Very doubtful, or else they would have announced it already. BlackBerry's PR department is hurting bad to release good news, any good news. If they had 100M users, they would have posted ads in Canadian newspapers celebrating it, or at least the South African ones.

The lack of information from BlackBerry themselves about total users is very revealing in itself.
    aniym and Drew808 like this.
    12-13-13 12:45 AM
    Very doubtful, or else they would have announced it already. BlackBerry's PR department is hurting bad to release good news, any good news. If they had 100M users, they would have posted ads in Canadian newspapers celebrating it, or at least the South African ones.

The lack of information from BlackBerry themselves about total users is very revealing in itself.
    I wouldn't be so sure on this at the moment. New management just stepped in, we have an earnings call coming up very soon that's not looking so great. It's possible they want to keep numbers under wraps until then to counter negative financial news. Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    12-13-13 02:54 AM
    It's the same problem with BBM. Sure it comes pre-installed on BlackBerries, but who knows how many BlackBerry owners actually actively use BBM. I'm sure it's not 100%.
    What we do know is 80 million plus are active users on bbm as of last update. With kik they could only have 10 million active users but no one knows since they didn't release that info

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 06:33 AM
    These companies are finding very good and creative ways to make money and are making it part of the core messaging experience. Unfortunately, I don't think BBM Channels will be successful at all. BlackBerry is trying to make BBM into a social media platform, which it is not. It's a social messaging platform. What BBM is trying to do with channels, Twitter already does really well. Why would brands and artists broadcast on BBM Channels when they already have millions of followers on Twitter and Facebook?

It just feels awkward using Channels. It doesn't feel part of BBM at all. It's hidden inside the menus and once you get there it just feels like you're inside a different app...

BBM has the potential to be the top Messaging platform, but they have to find a new way to monetize that will be part of the core experience. Look at what Line & Wechat are doing.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    JeepBB and johnnyuk like this.
    12-13-13 09:48 AM
    These companies are finding very good and creative ways to make money and are making it part of the core messaging experience. Unfortunately, I don't think BBM Channels will be successful at all. BlackBerry is trying to make BBM into a social media platform, which it is not. It's a social messaging platform. What BBM is trying to do with channels, Twitter already does really well. Why would brands and artists broadcast on BBM Channels when they already have millions of followers on Twitter and Facebook?

It just feels awkward using Channels. It doesn't feel part of BBM at all. It's hidden inside the menus and once you get there it just feels like you're inside a different app...

BBM has the potential to be the top Messaging platform, but they have to find a new way to monetize that will be part of the core experience. Look at what Line & Wechat are doing.

I disagree. Channels is front and Centre with channel updates showing in the updates tab along with any other bbm updates. The new layout of the updates tab and it's prominent location further improves this. When I used BBM prior to Channels I NEVER checked the updates tab. Now that I have channels, and a better updates tab layout I often find myself checking it multiple times a day.

- Developer of PinGuin
    12-15-13 04:06 PM
    I disagree. Channels is front and Centre with channel updates showing in the updates tab along with any other bbm updates. The new layout of the updates tab and it's prominent location further improves this. When I used BBM prior to Channels I NEVER checked the updates tab. Now that I have channels, and a better updates tab layout I often find myself checking it multiple times a day.

- Developer of PinGuin
    But one still has to check it. It does not show up on the BBM app as new update available. if one gets a new BBM message, it BBM icon indicates as such.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    FSeverino likes this.
    12-15-13 04:25 PM

- Developer of PinGuin
    You said it yourself "you never checked the updates tab prior to Channels", that means most people will still not go out of their way to check the updates tab, because it's not part of the core experience. Your experience might be different because you forcibly check the tab in order to get updates on your channels, but most people open BBM to check their messages. Channels is a compete different experience. It could be packaged in a different app and sold as a different name and it will make no difference to the core BBM experience.

12-15-13 10:18 PM
    You said it yourself "you never checked the updates tab prior to Channels", that means most people will still not go out of their way to check the updates tab, because it's not part of the core experience. Your experience might be different because you forcibly check the tab in order to get updates on your channels, but most people open BBM to check their messages. Channels is a compete different experience. It could be packaged in a different app and sold as a different name and it will make no difference to the core BBM experience.

To be fair, the updates tab is in a much more prominent position in the app and is pretty hard for people to miss it now. It's right in the centre of the bottom tabs and is visible in any view within the app (with the exception of conversations).
    12-15-13 10:46 PM
    But one still has to check it. It does not show up on the BBM app as new update available. if one gets a new BBM message, it BBM icon indicates as such.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    I think this is a problem, although not a major one. I don't want dozens of notifications for articles that I probably.wont read. But having a better system would help.

Maybe being able to select which channels are priority, and get to the hub...

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 09:08 AM
    I think this is a problem, although not a major one. I don't want dozens of notifications for articles that I probably.wont read. But having a better system would help.

Maybe being able to select which channels are priority, and get to the hub...

Posted via CB10
    This capability is already present. Just select which channels to favourite and they will show in the updates, you can un favourite channels so that you don't get updates from them unless you go to the channel.

- Developer of PinGuin
    12-16-13 10:25 AM