09-30-13 09:52 AM
27 12
tools
    According to this report, businesses have 3 to 6 months to move to other platforms.

When Should Businesses Abandon BlackBerry? Gartner Has an Answer

“All clients should immediately ensure that they have backup mobile data management plans and are at least testing alternative devices,” Mr. Dulaney writes. “Clients have three to six months to build a strategy.”
    09-27-13 03:14 PM
    Which is why I think that if Fairfax wants to keep hardware and services operational, they will need to conclude this deal ASAP and not wait until Nov 4.

I think any business that went with BES10 in the last six months was not paying attention to the situation with BlackBerry and made a very uninformed decision. From this point forward it will be almost impossible for someone in the decision making process not to question the reliability of BlackBerry as a service provider in the future. Which will hurt both the near term and the long term prospects of any future version of BlackBerry.
    09-27-13 03:27 PM
    BYOD is here to stay.
    09-27-13 03:29 PM
    To be honest this is author is a sensationalist. BlackBerry should be around as far as existing services go in three months. If they are saying the NOC will be gone in three months they are nuts. New hardware is another issue...
    09-27-13 03:34 PM
    This article sounds like all the same garbage that was being shouted from the rooftops about Y2K.
    09-27-13 03:57 PM
    I know a few companies in the UK who have just taken the plunge into bb10 even while this topic is hot. Seems to me that with all that's going on, business users still see blackberry as the best solution for them.
    Like previously mentioned though the quicker some long term strategy is announced the better. The fear of what might happen is far worse than what's actually happening.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 04:04 PM
    Fanboy talk turned off

BlackBerry will still be here in some form for the next 5 years at least.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 04:31 PM
    http://www.defenseone.com/technology...artment/70782/

When these guys give up on blackberry is when businesses should worry and change.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 04:42 PM
    Blackberry Bets Big on the Defense Department - Defense One

When these guys give up on blackberry is when businesses should worry and change.
    Business changes faster.
    09-27-13 05:15 PM
    Blackberry Bets Big on the Defense Department - Defense One

Posted via CB10
    There are some offices in the defense department that still have original IBM PCs.... By this logic, I guess business should be looking on eBay for some good IBM deals.
    09-27-13 05:19 PM
    BYOD is here to stay.
    Yep, as of 2012 41% of cooperation's have a BYOD program..........also, 35% of all data intrusions in 2012 were through BYOD devices.
    That's some scary statistics.
    09-27-13 06:01 PM
    To be honest this is author is a sensationalist. BlackBerry should be around as far as existing services go in three months. If they are saying the NOC will be gone in three months they are nuts. New hardware is another issue...
    The advice is from Gartner who are in the business of advising corporate IT Depts. Whatever their merits, CIOs listen to Gartner and follow their advice. I expect many corporations to evaluate alternatives in the next six months.
    09-27-13 06:03 PM
    There are some offices in the defense department that still have original IBM PCs.... By this logic, I guess business should be looking on eBay for some good IBM deals.
    That's a good point lot of retail stores still use as/400

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 06:46 PM
    This article sounds like all the same garbage that was being shouted from the rooftops about Y2K.
    Agreed.
    09-27-13 06:48 PM
    That's a good point lot of retail stores still use as/400

Posted via CB10
    POS systems are usually the last thing retailers upgrade. Some still use monochrome crt monitors.
    09-27-13 06:52 PM
    The headline is garbage, but having a backup plan in place is hardly a bad idea.

If companies shouldn't be looking at alternatives, what's the point of the 25k bes10 in testing/installed?
    09-27-13 06:58 PM
    Wow the media is not going to stop until after BlackBerry announce funeral plans.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    09-27-13 08:37 PM
    Wow the media is not going to stop until after BlackBerry announce funeral plans.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    I agree. It's like a bloody witch hunt and it's shocking to watch...
    09-27-13 09:23 PM
    The headline is garbage, but having a backup plan in place is hardly a bad idea.

If companies shouldn't be looking at alternatives, what's the point of the 25k bes10 in testing/installed?
    I am not challenging the prudence of having alternatives but quotes like “Clients have three to six months to build a strategy.” make it seem as if BlackBerry's demise is assured.
    09-27-13 09:24 PM
    Ken Dulaney is highly respected in the Enterprise Mobile Device community. Whether you have heard of him or not is immaterial.

For years he has been advocating that BlackBerry split into two companies - one that made hardware and one that had software and services.

No one listened then. Any bets that a breakup/sale of at least some parts is now going to happen?
    09-27-13 09:38 PM
    I work for a Fortune 500 company and we've already phased out Blackberry at work. They stopped offering new BB phones as an option last year and they shut down the BES server back in February. Everything is iPhone or Android now. They don't even allow BYOD for Blackberry, even though it's possible via MobileIron.
    09-28-13 01:08 PM
    I work for a Fortune 500 company and we've already phased out Blackberry at work. They stopped offering new BB phones as an option last year and they shut down the BES server back in February. Everything is iPhone or Android now. They don't even allow BYOD for Blackberry, even though it's possible via MobileIron.
    Time will tell how wise that was. Not allowing BB at all seems over the top.
    09-29-13 01:20 PM
    Reading it, he's not actually saying that BBRY will be gone in three-six months, he's saying that is the period that you have to plan out a considered strategy for IF and WHEN it happens. Moreover he's writing that in response to enquiries to customer queries - he'd frankly be remiss in not telling that to have an alternative strategy read - it's just standard COOP stuff.

In recent weeks, the rate of inquiries from Gartner clients who support BlackBerry software and devices in their enterprises has increased, Gartner analyst Ken Dulaney writes in the report, provided to The Wall Street Journal.

Mr. Dulaney says that while BlackBerry wont be gone tomorrow, companies should have a Plan B.

When Should Businesses Abandon BlackBerry? Gartner Has an Answer - Update - Canada Real Time - WSJ
    09-29-13 01:29 PM
    That's pretty hardcore. Although BES10 was nixed, we're still at least maintaining the legacy BES server. At some point, though, I'm sure those still using a legacy BB are going to be told they have to move on to something else.
    09-30-13 06:00 AM
    That's pretty hardcore. Although BES10 was nixed, we're still at least maintaining the legacy BES server. At some point, though, I'm sure those still using a legacy BB are going to be told they have to move on to something else.
    It's actually becoming quite common. One motivator is reducing cost.
    09-30-13 06:19 AM
27 12