01-04-15 04:19 PM
45 12
tools
    Yes, it is fair to say that Android apps perform better on android phones, but "everything else" encompasses more than just app usage.

As for carrying two phones, that's up to the person. It isn't necessary for me as I'm not required to have a separate work phone yet and I don't have a problem with BB's selection of apps. Not only that, but I carry other devices (ipod and Nook reader), so if apps do become a problem, I have other devices to choose from.

What? That capacitive keyboard is a huge part of the draw for people who are interested in purchasing the Passport...

And why would anyone expect to use iMessage and FaceTime on a non-Apple phone? Those two have been available across Apple devices for a long time, so it isn't really a selling point anymore especially when you have issues moving away from Apple with losing your messages.

My point was that the person said "everything else" without expounding. As far as I can tell, you guys are talking about app availability.
    The point is with an iPhone you can have iMessage and BBM and Google Hangouts and Whatsapp and every other messaging platform anyone uses. Same with every other mobile software category. I don't actually use BBM because most of my contact are on iMessage and the rest are on Google Hangouts or Whatsapp.

I don't see the appeal of the Passport keyboard. The Classic's combination of keyboard and toolbelt OTOH is very appealing. It's what kept me on BB OS 7 long past its sell by date.
    12-25-14 03:57 PM
    Tre, what phone are you rocking now as your daily?
    Still using the One M8. When I'm in need of GSM handset, Z10.

Frustrated that I can't get a Passport yet.
    12-25-14 07:04 PM

I don't see the appeal of the Passport keyboard. The Classic's combination of keyboard and toolbelt OTOH is very appealing. It's what kept me on BB OS 7 long past its sell by date.
    The keyboard is not as good as the 9900. Not even close. But the passport screen is fantastic for most most attachments that I look at in my work (commits and PowerPoint). For those it is great. If we upgrade to BES12 at work it would be even better.

If you don't need the screen width, then I would guess the classic keyboard should be better.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    12-25-14 07:49 PM
    Still using the One M8. When I'm in need of GSM handset, Z10.

Frustrated that I can't get a Passport yet.
    Nice. How do you like it? You would seriously pick up a Passport even though you already have the M8?
    12-25-14 09:26 PM
    The keyboard is not as good as the 9900. Not even close. But the passport screen is fantastic for most most attachments that I look at in my work (commits and PowerPoint). For those it is great. If we upgrade to BES12 at work it would be even better.

If you don't need the screen width, then I would guess the classic keyboard should be better.
    The Classic keyboard is supposed to be very comparable to the 9900 according to the reviews I have read.
    12-25-14 10:34 PM
    Nice. How do you like it? You would seriously pick up a Passport even though you already have the M8?
    Absolutely.

The M8/Android is great, and is customized very heavily, but there is no way I won't get a Passport as soon as is feasible.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    12-25-14 11:28 PM
    Great article. Points out all the positives and negatives of the Classic.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    12-26-14 12:44 AM
    I find the android app performance is very frustrating compared to the same app from the same publisher running natively on iOS. Further developers actually support every single feature on iOS. Also, side by side, Safari mobile works better on most sites I use (often because the site knows what to do with Safari). I know people will point to standards compliance tests, but those are utterly meaningless when everyone knows to build sites to work correctly on Safari and Chrome.

If I absolutely had to make the Passport work as my only phone, I suppose I could. However, having ready access to both I wouldn't bother trying to make stuff work on my passport when things work with no fuss at all on iPhone.

OTOH, I wouldn't want to rip through dozens of emails on my iPhone when I can do that much more easily on the Passport, particularly if I need to review and approve attachments. So I wouldn't want to give up either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry but you lost me on Safari Mobile. There are still significant issues with compliance and it's ability to properly render material. Maybe big sites are optimized for Safari but lots are not and this continues to be a significant issue. Maybe things have improved with the roll out of the new iPhone but I have never really considered it Apple's strength.

I don't mind people bringing up the issue of Apps but this is vastly overplayed. God how I have done the App thingy till my brains have fallen out. It just isn't that interesting or useful. I just keep deleting them as the improvement in functionality is frankly minimal. And I'm not alone in my thoughts. Market research on the average smartphone user notes that the majority of people never download more than a few paid apps.

What floats my boat is the practical. A wide screen for documents (and sorry, the unwieldy iPhone 6+ doesn't cut it), a big battery ( thank you), Hub, blend, phone as a USB, an accessible file manager. And the list goes on. Apple products really are a big step down in these core areas. Additionally, the out of box experience with a blackberry is better than the iPhone.

I can understand people wanting a bit of fun on their devices and that is where the iPhone shines. It just isn't a high priority for me and many others.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 03:34 AM
    I'm sorry but you lost me on Safari Mobile. There are still significant issues with compliance and it's ability to properly render material. Maybe big sites are optimized for Safari but lots are not and this continues to be a significant issue. Maybe things have improved with the roll out of the new iPhone but I have never really considered it Apple's strength.

I don't mind people bringing up the issue of Apps but this is vastly overplayed. God how I have done the App thingy till my brains have fallen out. It just isn't that interesting or useful. I just keep deleting them as the improvement in functionality is frankly minimal. And I'm not alone in my thoughts. Market research on the average smartphone user notes that the majority of people never download more than a few paid apps.

What floats my boat is the practical. A wide screen for documents (and sorry, the unwieldy iPhone 6+ doesn't cut it), a big battery ( thank you), Hub, blend, phone as a USB, an accessible file manager. And the list goes on. Apple products really are a big step down in these core areas. Additionally, the out of box experience with a blackberry is better than the iPhone.

I can understand people wanting a bit of fun on their devices and that is where the iPhone shines. It just isn't a high priority for me and many others.

Posted via CB10
    Not that many others if we are to judge by market share. I am confused why you think the 6 Plus is unwieldy but the Passport isn't. They are both huge and if you want a wide screen for documents on the Plus, turn in around.

If you do want a phone for reading Documents (I prefer a Tablet), the Microsoft Office suite (and several others) are a free download for the 6 Plus. There are plenty of other useful apps which are not repackaged web sites too.

The Classic has a much stronger value proposition IMHO. It plays to the traditional BB strengths and will appeal to the traditional BB users.
    12-26-14 05:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    WRT apps, I agree. I find I do the same thing. Install, get bored, delete. I often compare the mobile versions of many sites to their respective apps. I continually find myself using the web site over the app as I find it faster and more convenient. A lot of travel related sites especially stick out here, like Trivago, Hotwire, Trip Advisor, and Booking.com. For banking, native apps to rule. They are the only segment of the app population I can think of where the app is better than the website (excluding games and specialized apps where no mobile site exists).
    12-26-14 10:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yep. The app thing has completely grown in ridiculous proportions.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 07:09 PM
    Yep. The app thing has completely grown in ridiculous proportions.

Posted via CB10
    Apps are what makes a smartphone more than just a phone and messaging device. The only people who deny this reality are posting on BB and Windows Phone forums. The WebOS forums used to be in denial too.
    12-29-14 10:09 PM
    Her conclusion...

Not sure I'd call this positive.... her only endorsement was towards people (with lizard brains) that need a physical keyboard and only want to get work done.
    It's a fair point that's been exaggerated. The Q10 is not a Neflix-a-holic's device, nor a gamer's companion, and it doesn't compare to the photographic capabilities of the newer Nokia and Apple phones. However, it's a still a great device more than capable of providing entertainment and utility while offering things only a BlackBerry can (e.g. world-class QWERTY).

Posted using CB 10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    12-31-14 08:19 AM
    Apps are what makes a smartphone more than just a phone and messaging device. The only people who deny this reality are posting on BB and Windows Phone forums. The WebOS forums used to be in denial too.
    In the meantime, I have stopped using RBC Direct Investing App on iPhone, Android and did not even try it on BB10 because I have missed trades with stupid error "app cannot confirm the transaction, please consult the website for confirmation". Other interesting note: The Verge discontinued their app in favor of mobile website, following the trend initiated by the Financial Post a long time ago. Smart apps? I am not sure. Unless in-app purchases are considered smart.

In general, I have found apps not really reliable, not always smarter than the website when their is one, including some email apps that crashed while typing/uploading files. Fortunately the BB10 Hub is more robust.

After that, it is true that there are some good apps, like word processing app (Pages, Doc to Go, OfficeSuite), Dropbox, some of them being also on BB10.
    12-31-14 12:26 PM
    Joanna stern is a hack.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    12-31-14 01:50 PM
    In the meantime, I have stopped using RBC Direct Investing App on iPhone, Android and did not even try it on BB10 because I have missed trades with stupid error "app cannot confirm the transaction, please consult the website for confirmation". Other interesting note: The Verge discontinued their app in favor of mobile website, following the trend initiated by the Financial Post a long time ago. Smart apps? I am not sure. Unless in-app purchases are considered smart.

In general, I have found apps not really reliable, not always smarter than the website when their is one, including some email apps that crashed while typing/uploading files. Fortunately the BB10 Hub is more robust.

After that, it is true that there are some good apps, like word processing app (Pages, Doc to Go, OfficeSuite), Dropbox, some of them being also on BB10.
    I might be tempted to change to a Bank that takes its app development seriously. As for the Verge, a fairly static website doesn't really need an app.

Aside from my banking app, I have an app to program my cars NAV unit, an app for my DVR, an expense app for business trips, banking apps that let me deposit checks, MS Office etc etc.
    01-01-15 09:31 AM
    Not best phone, just best BlackBerry phone

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 10:24 AM
    I might be tempted to change to a Bank that takes its app development seriously. As for the Verge, a fairly static website doesn't really need an app.

Aside from my banking app, I have an app to program my cars NAV unit, an app for my DVR, an expense app for business trips, banking apps that let me deposit checks, MS Office etc etc.
    Agreed . And these are the 'apps' I was referring to. Funny enough, in my circle of friends, these are the apps they most often ask about. iPhone users especially seem to love having an app for every website they visit. I don't get it, but whatever. And I agree with the other examples you gave where apps are needed (DVR, NAV, Cheque deposit, etc).
    01-01-15 11:22 AM
    Not that many others if we are to judge by market share. I am confused why you think the 6 Plus is unwieldy but the Passport isn't. They are both huge and if you want a wide screen for documents on the Plus, turn in around.

If you do want a phone for reading Documents (I prefer a Tablet), the Microsoft Office suite (and several others) are a free download for the 6 Plus. There are plenty of other useful apps which are not repackaged web sites too.

The Classic has a much stronger value proposition IMHO. It plays to the traditional BB strengths and will appeal to the traditional BB users.
    Just try to write on an iPhone 6+, you can't. Phone is way too big and the keyboard just isn't Apple's strength. Both are a huge minus in my books. I too like a tablet for reading but it isn't portable, again a big minus. Frankly, I'm done with all these stand alone devices that fail to interact. If BlackBerry could bring out a stripped down tablet with enhanced bridge, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I'm long done with stand alone tablets at the moment. Too expensive and not enough value. I suspect I'm not alone which explains the continued drop in tablet sales.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 03:54 PM
    Just try to write on an iPhone 6+, you can't. Phone is way too big and the keyboard just isn't Apple's strength. Both are a huge minus in my books. I too like a tablet for reading but it isn't portable, again a big minus. Frankly, I'm done with all these stand alone devices that fail to interact. If BlackBerry could bring out a stripped down tablet with enhanced bridge, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I'm long done with stand alone tablets at the moment. Too expensive and not enough value. I suspect I'm not alone which explains the continued drop in tablet sales.

Posted via CB10
    The 6 Plus is narrower than the Passport which has that weird hybrid keyboard. As for Tablets, I don't understand why anyone would want one with a Playbook style bridge. Since almost no one bought the Playbook first time around I doubt we will ever see that concept repeated anyway. It seems strange to talk about tablets as "stand alone" anyway. They connect to the same cloud services that smart phones and laptops do. I can read and send text messages from my iPad via my iPhone. I could also use BBM, iMessage, Google hangouts etc etc.

I suspect the reason tablet sales are slowing is money. Buying an iPhone, iPad and a MacBook could get quite expensive.
    01-04-15 04:19 PM
45 12