01-04-15 05:19 PM
45 12
tools
    12-24-14 01:07 AM
    Good reading article.
    I would hope that at times when reviewers find 'small' issues that they would contact an industry rep to verify or check on these things. It's a common fact of must tech reviewers and in many articles I read (incl this WSJ review) I see issues that could be easily solved with such a quick follow up.
    12-24-14 02:10 AM
    Oooh excellent article

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    12-24-14 04:20 AM
    So nice to read some Possitive feedback on a new release for Blaclberry .
    12-24-14 06:43 AM
    I don't think the article was positive at all and she never mentioned how the old OS and BB10 have blended to achieve what it has.
    12-24-14 06:59 AM
    The video review was overall positive.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    12-24-14 07:32 AM
    I don't think the article was positive at all and she never mentioned how the old OS and BB10 have blended to achieve what it has.
    She talked about the hub which is something.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 09:17 AM
    Well, it is nice to see a positive review. I still think they are trying to make up for missing the boat with the passport. It was a silly, ignorant review that was thoroughly unprofessional. I hope the reporter got a real slap down for never using the device to any significant degree. That sort of garbage writing is usually left to the editorial pages of the WSJ.

Posted via CB10
    Fronzcamino likes this.
    12-24-14 09:19 AM
    Her conclusion...

Still, I believe the Classic is the best BlackBerry ever made. It lives up to every bit of the BlackBerry’s original purpose. This is the best phone to get if you need a real physical keyboard to plow through emails, manage your calendar, browse the Web…and not much else.

When you use it, you will feel like no time has passed at all. And that is, of course, its biggest shortcoming.
    Not sure I'd call this positive.... her only endorsement was towards people (with lizard brains) that need a physical keyboard and only want to get work done.
    12-24-14 09:21 AM
    Her conclusion...

Not sure I'd call this positive.... her only endorsement was towards people (with lizard brains) that need a physical keyboard and only want to get work done.
    It wasn't positive or negative... it was an honest assessment. The phone was made for PKB lovers that get tonnes of email and value communications over everything else. If she said app support and HW specs were great, she would be lying. I had no problem with this review. I thought it was fair and balanced. She outlined who the users of the device are, and indicated it is a good phone for their needs.
    12-24-14 10:29 AM
    Her conclusion...

Yeah but when you really think about it, what else do you really do with a smartphone. I've done the App thingy and it gets tiring very fast. Not that they can't be a bit fun but over time, the number I use just keeps dropping. Now Blend is something I absolutely need. As has been pointed out endlessly by market research, the majority of smartphone users never download a paid app and then limit their free downloads to under 10.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:35 AM
    I think her conclusion is totally fair. I use my Passport to run through hundreds of emails a day. It is absolutely brilliant for that very essential task. For everything else, I use the iPhone.

If I had a Classic, I'm sure I'd use it the same way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    12-24-14 11:22 AM
    I think the passport is the best phone BlackBerry ever made. I think the passport is the best phone on the market hands down. The passport was such an innovation that I returned my iphone6. I can do everything that I wanted and much more with the passport. I can't use narrow phones as that is sooooo 2007. I don't think the classic can hold a candle to the passport. My business partner got the classic and I'm not a fan of it but it seems many do.

Sent from the most advanced and innovative Passport

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 12:41 PM
    I think her conclusion is totally fair. I use my Passport to run through hundreds of emails a day. It is absolutely brilliant for that very essential task. For everything else, I use the iPhone.

If I had a Classic, I'm sure I'd use it the same way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Considering you can get almost every Android app, what do you do with your iPhone that you can't/don't want to do on your Passport? Just curious more than anything.
    12-24-14 01:18 PM
    Considering you can get almost every Android app, what do you do with your iPhone that you can't/don't want to do on your Passport? Just curious more than anything.
    I find the android app performance is very frustrating compared to the same app from the same publisher running natively on iOS. Further developers actually support every single feature on iOS. Also, side by side, Safari mobile works better on most sites I use (often because the site knows what to do with Safari). I know people will point to standards compliance tests, but those are utterly meaningless when everyone knows to build sites to work correctly on Safari and Chrome.

If I absolutely had to make the Passport work as my only phone, I suppose I could. However, having ready access to both I wouldn't bother trying to make stuff work on my passport when things work with no fuss at all on iPhone.

OTOH, I wouldn't want to rip through dozens of emails on my iPhone when I can do that much more easily on the Passport, particularly if I need to review and approve attachments. So I wouldn't want to give up either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    southlander and LuvULongTime like this.
    12-24-14 03:26 PM
    Android app performance on BB10 devices is not as good as running them natively on Android devices, and in general, iOS apps usually run better than their Android versions. The bigger screens are nice for a lot of things as well.

For an email powerhouse (with the need of physical keys) and some media, the Passport is a great device. For everything else, the iOS ecosystem iPhone 6/6plus hardware is just much better.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    12-24-14 04:17 PM
    I was very surprise by Joanna Stern's Classic review after being very disappointed by her review of the Passport, and the tone she used.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 10:49 AM
    The only thing I do better with my iPhone (or iPod) is take great pictures. That's my only gripe I have with the Classic from what I've seen so far. The app gap isn't an issue with me since I only use three of them, two of which I can get on BB easily.

I don't agree with the person you responded to suggesting that the Passport is only good for powering through emails while the iPhone6/6+ is better for "everything else." Makes me wonder how they utilized the Passport...
    12-25-14 01:25 PM
    The only thing I do better with my iPhone (or iPod) is take great pictures. That's my only gripe I have with the Classic from what I've seen so far. The app gap isn't an issue with me since I only use three of them, two of which I can get on BB easily.

I don't agree with the person you responded to suggesting that the Passport is only good for powering through emails while the iPhone6/6+ is better for "everything else." Makes me wonder how they utilized the Passport...
    It's fair to say Android app performance is better on a native Android phone, and iOS even better. With that said, is it that much better that it is worth carrying two phones? For me, I couldn't be bothered carrying two. I'd pick one that best meets my needs and live with its short comings. In this case I would go BB10 and make do with native apps where possible, and live with the Android fill in apps as-is. But to each his/her own.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    12-25-14 02:33 PM
    I think the passport is the best phone BlackBerry ever made. I think the passport is the best phone on the market hands down. The passport was such an innovation that I returned my iphone6. I can do everything that I wanted and much more with the passport. I can't use narrow phones as that is sooooo 2007. I don't think the classic can hold a candle to the passport. My business partner got the classic and I'm not a fan of it but it seems many do.

Sent from the most advanced and innovative Passport

Posted via CB10
    The Classic can be operated with one hand just like every proper BB. That's why it's the best BB ever made. It is what the Q10 should have been and the first new BB that can replace a 9900 (a great device which I used to have until my employer pushed us or BYOD).
    12-25-14 03:43 PM

Depends on how one uses it. Because of my unique uses, it would be tough to use the Passport for email.

I also dislike the Runtime's performance.

I concede that the iPhone is a great device; not just one I would rather use as a daily driver.
    12-25-14 03:52 PM

The Passport doesn't have the native Microsoft Office applications, a native Kindle app, banking apps from all the major banks, all the Google apps, and of course all the Apple apps such as FaceTime and iMessage. It also has some excellent third party email clients and BBM. Aside from the physical keyboard, what can a Passport do that the iPhone 6 Plus can't. The PKB isn't even the real deal, for that you need the Classic which you can operate almost completely from the physical keyboard.
    12-25-14 04:01 PM
    It's fair to say Android app performance is better on a native Android phone, and iOS even better. With that said, is it that much better that it is worth carrying two phones? For me, I couldn't be bothered carrying two. I'd pick one that best meets my needs and live with its short comings. In this case I would go BB10 and make do with native apps where possible, and live with the Android fill in apps as-is. But to each his/her own.

Yes, it is fair to say that Android apps perform better on android phones, but "everything else" encompasses more than just app usage.

As for carrying two phones, that's up to the person. It isn't necessary for me as I'm not required to have a separate work phone yet and I don't have a problem with BB's selection of apps. Not only that, but I carry other devices (ipod and Nook reader), so if apps do become a problem, I have other devices to choose from.

The Passport doesn't have the native Microsoft Office applications, a native Kindle app, banking apps from all the major banks, all the Google apps, and of course all the Apple apps such as FaceTime and iMessage. It also has some excellent third party email clients and BBM. Aside from the physical keyboard, what can a Passport do that the iPhone 6 Plus can't. The PKB isn't even the real deal, for that you need the Classic which you can operate almost completely from the physical keyboard.
    What? That capacitive keyboard is a huge part of the draw for people who are interested in purchasing the Passport...

And why would anyone expect to use iMessage and FaceTime on a non-Apple phone? Those two have been available across Apple devices for a long time, so it isn't really a selling point anymore especially when you have issues moving away from Apple with losing your messages.

My point was that the person said "everything else" without expounding. As far as I can tell, you guys are talking about app availability.
    12-25-14 04:02 PM
    Yes, it is fair to say that Android apps perform better on android phones, but "everything else" encompasses more than just app usage.

As for carrying two phones, that's up to the person. It isn't necessary for me as I'm not required to have a separate work phone yet and I don't have a problem with BB's selection of apps. Not only that, but I carry other devices (ipod and Nook reader), so if apps do become a problem, I have other devices to choose from.

What? That capacitive keyboard is a huge part of the draw for people who are interested in purchasing the Passport...

And why would anyone expect to use iMessage and FaceTime on a non-Apple phone? Those two have been available across Apple devices for a long time, so it isn't really a selling point anymore especially when you have issues moving away from Apple with losing your messages.

My point was that the person said "everything else" without expounding. As far as I can tell, you guys are talking about app availability.
    I do find the iMessage and FaceTime argument kind of ironic as BB users were saying the same thing about BBM back in 2007. iMessage and FaceTime only make sense because if iOS's large market share. Without it they are as worthless as BBM before going cross platform.
    12-25-14 04:37 PM
    Depends on how one uses it. Because of my unique uses, it would be tough to use the Passport for email.

I also dislike the Runtime's performance.

I concede that the iPhone is a great device; not just one I would rather use as a daily driver.
    Tre, what phone are you rocking now as your daily?
    12-25-14 04:38 PM
45 12