However, not to that level of detail. We are a publically traded company, but the direct detailed dealings with our customers are not laid out to the shareholders, mainly the financials.

As I stated before, we thought Chrysler and GM were done with Honda and Toyota eating their luncha few years back - were those thoughts to be publically stated to our shareholders.. absolutely not. In the future, and this goes for any customer, you don't burn bridges unnecessarily that could come back to bite you in the a$$. It's simply unprofessional for any company.
    Jabil could be part of the 4500 layoffs, add to this the announced 4 device limit, the writing is on the wall, blackberry is exiting hardware.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 06:35 PM
    When does it stop being "over reaction by cb member" and become an actual serious problem within BlackBerry?? Because I think they are there after everything.....

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    I think someone basically posted on this thread that all of the negative talk will only be vindicated after Blackberry gets shuttered. Until then, it's all negative media bias and troll talk.
    richardat, DS1331 and Skandalous1 like this.
    09-26-13 06:48 PM
    Meh. Bail. Not bail. I will be so glad when CrackBerry gets back to normal, and I do not have to read a million threads on the very same subject.
    playbookster likes this.
    09-26-13 07:01 PM
    It's just common sense that something like this would happen.
    LOL. First thing this young man ever said which I agree with. I have always said it was common sense.

If not as many people are coming to my bar anymore, why would I continue to order more and more kegs of beer?
    That's right people, nothing to see here. Didn't sell any alcohol at my bar....losing my supplier....same ol'

BlackBerry not manufacturing as much/at all given the overstock of devices is a good thing.
    Worst attempt at spin....ever? Didn't sell any - thank goodness we don't have to make anymore - even better, the people who make it for us are moving on....whew.

There are other manufacturers out there,
    Yep, no tool up costs there - especially for a small-scale operation like BB.....no problem, lotsa money right?

and it's not like BlackBerry has a bunch of new devices on the way for us to be concerned about not launching.
    Uh.....yeah....no new products, just the old ones....which didn't sell. yay! If I didn't know the posters tendencies, I'd swear this was supposed to be parody!

Anyways, to get back to reality, I agree with ifarlow, the biggest significance is the public admission, and blunt talk. To just say it outright like that, signifies very clearly that the manufacturer strongly believes it is over, and that they don't think there will any continuing business with Blackberry. Granted they are talking to their shareholders so they want to be clear about bb's struggles and what they intend to do about it- still, there wasn't even the slightest attempt to sugar coat it. Ironically, of all people, this should impact the very people who are denying this is a big deal - the rest of us aren't that surprised by the news itself.
    Last edited by richardat; 09-27-13 at 12:59 AM.
    09-26-13 09:02 PM
    Well I think they did not get a lot of competition, but it sure was huge. Microsoft, IBM and HP pretty much ruled the market back then. If you would of seen the negative press Apple had it was astounding. The fact is BlackBerry has a good product that's badly marketed. It has been since BlackBerry 10 is out. Who is responsible for all the delays and hiccups? That stupid executive board composed of mainly idiots from around the world that care only for their own contracts and wallet. The only thing BlackBerry needs to survive is a executive board that cares and composed of mainly Canadians. Anyways that just my 2 cents on the subject. The only problem at BlackBerry is their executives, it's not their products or services.
    You are right. Microsoft, IBM as well as HP was the competition at the time with huge markup on soft and hardware. However, I'm talking about the crowded market today with minimal markup and where every "Tech" company offering some sort of Android phone. If you start losing that position I believe it takes a strong and special leadership team to get back into the game.

I wish Blackberry would get their act together and be able to compete but as I said in my previous post I just can't see this happening. Time will tell and perhaps they do have a somebody on their mind who can lead the company back to the top.

For the people who deny Apple or Steve Jobs didn't invent anything. Put down the Blackberry Fan blinds. We wouldn't have the choices we have today.
    Last edited by Bsbudd; 09-26-13 at 09:50 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-26-13 09:34 PM
    When a supplier decides that working with a customer no longer provides them with an adequate return, you have to wonder what that says overall about that customer.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-27-13 12:10 AM
    I would like to ask for more negative posts, I simply can not get enough of reading "its over", "wheels flying off" and "rip rim"
    If we don't have enough here just Google bb... you will get days worth

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    09-27-13 12:17 AM
    Quick question...

Would the manufacturer have to pay a fine for breaking contract?

Would this reduce the cost if 'exiting the hardware business ' for whoever buys bb?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 12:19 AM
    LOL. First thing this young man ever said which I agree with. I have always said it was common sense.

That's right people, nothing to see here. Didn't sell any alcohol at my bar....losing my supplier....same ol'

Worst attempt at spin....ever? Didn't sell any - thank goodness we don't have to make anymore - even better, the people who make it for us are moving on....whew.

Yep, no tool up costs there - especially for a small-scale operation like BB.....no problem, lotsa money right?

Uh.....yeah....no new products, just the old ones....which didn't sell. yay! If I didn't know the posters tendencies, I'd swear this was supposed to be parody!

Anyways, to get back to reality, I agree with ifarlow, the biggest significance is the public admission, and blunt talk. It signifies very clearly that the manufacturers strongly believes it is over, and that they don't think there will any continuing business with Blackberry. Ironically, of all people, this should impact the very people who are denying this is a big deal - the rest of us aren't that surprised by the news itself.
    Reality? Not sure anything you said has any base in reality...(except for the part where you agreed with me )

If no one is coming to my bar anymore, why would a large scale distributor want to continue being my partner? That makes perfect sense to me, especially if BlackBerry quits the consumer side of things, and downsizes the scale that it has ALWAYS produced phones (if we ever get any new ones again). Would it make sense for a huge manufacturer to stick around with a company who says for sure no more phones for SIX MONTHS (if ever)? Not in my reality it doesn't.

Spin? So you think it's a good idea for BlackBerry to keep their manufacturer pumping out phones they can't sell? Sorry, but to me, halting production sounds like a damn good way to save the cash they're already burning through. In a perfect world, BlackBerry would have sold/be selling their current crop of phones. But it's not. So why keep manufacturing them? To keep "BlackBerry Halts Production Of BB10 Phones" out of the headlines? In my reality, sitting on a pile of unsold inventory tells me that I better stop manufacturing. Apparently you'd still be full steam ahead though!

As far as tool up costs go..........in my world, where they'd save money but stopping production, maybe they'd have some to enter a new agreement with a manufacturer. But in your world, where you'd have BlackBerry continue to squander money on production, there probably wouldn't be much money left (just a heap of still unsold phones).

And again... BlackBerry has no new phones on the horizon after the Z30. So if one of their manufacturing partners is looking to part ways (not "manufacturers," I see you made it plural), to me, now's the perfect time to be doing it.

It really seems like you'd still be all-systems-go on the manufacturing side. Call me conservative, but I see no point in continuing to make phones that are already in an unsold abundance, and think it's absolutely logical for a huge manufacturer to part ways with a company that used to have five to seven devices being made at once, that now has none upcoming and has said it's probably not going to be in the consumer space anymore. But again, that's just my reality, which you apparently don't live in.
    09-27-13 12:21 AM
    Reality? Not sure anything you said has any base in reality...(except for the part where you agreed with me )

If no one is coming to my bar anymore, why would a large scale distributor want to continue being my partner? That makes perfect sense to me, especially if BlackBerry quits the consumer side of things, and downsizes the scale that it has ALWAYS produced phones (if we ever get any new ones again). Would it make sense for a huge manufacturer to stick around with a company who says for sure no more phones for SIX MONTHS (if ever)? Not in my reality it doesn't.

Spin? So you think it's a good idea for BlackBerry to keep their manufacturer pumping out phones they can't sell? Sorry, but to me, halting production sounds like a damn good way to save the cash they're already burning through. In a perfect world, BlackBerry would have sold/be selling their current crop of phones. But it's not. So why keep manufacturing them? To keep "BlackBerry Halts Production Of BB10 Phones" out of the headlines? In my reality, sitting on a pile of unsold inventory tells me that I better stop manufacturing. Apparently you'd still be full steam ahead though!

As far as tool up costs go..........in my world, where they'd save money but stopping production, maybe they'd have some to enter a new agreement with a manufacturer. But in your world, where you'd have BlackBerry continue to squander money on production, there probably wouldn't be much money left (just a heap of still unsold phones).

And again... BlackBerry has no new phones on the horizon after the Z30. So if one of their manufacturing partners is looking to part ways (not "manufacturers," I see you made it plural), to me, now's the perfect time to be doing it.

It really seems like you'd still be all-systems-go on the manufacturing side. Call me conservative, but I see no point in continuing to make phones that are already in an unsold abundance, and think it's absolutely logical for a huge manufacturer to part ways with a company that used to have five to seven devices being made at once, that now has none upcoming and has said it's probably not going to be in the consumer space anymore. But again, that's just my reality, which you apparently don't live in.
    So you're saying that BlackBerry not making phones is a good thing..... because they have too many in inventory..... now..... is that a good thing or a bad thing? You don't make that clear. You seem to think it's a good thing because now they don't have to spend money making more phones...... which is really..... a bad way to think of things.
    techvisor, milo53 and richardat like this.
    09-27-13 12:34 AM
    Even the BBRY believers have to admit - this is pretty funny, and spot on.

The new retort from the faithful is 'If you don't like BBRY, what are you doing here'?

News flash, we're here making sure that all the bizarre justifications you guys post are countered with reality checks. It's taking a team of us to keep up.
    09-27-13 12:37 AM
    So many nails on the coffin but we haven't seen the last of it yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 12:41 AM
    So you're saying that BlackBerry not making phones is a good thing..... because they have too many in inventory..... now..... is that a good thing or a bad thing? You don't make that clear. You seem to think it's a good thing because now they don't have to spend money making more phones...... which is really..... a bad way to think of things.
    I think BlackBerry should stop making phones due to the fact that they just wrote off nearly a billion dollars in unsold BlackBerry 10 devices.

Do you think it's a good thing to continue to pay for the manufacturing of phones that no one is buying?????

That is really...... a bad way to think of running a business.
    09-27-13 12:55 AM

The new retort from the faithful is 'If you don't like BBRY, what are you doing here'?

News flash, we're here making sure that all the bizarre justifications you guys post are countered with reality checks. It's taking a team of us to keep up.
    Koolaide!
    09-27-13 12:58 AM

I'm a BlackBerry fan, but I'm a reality.... All of my posts are rooted in reality. I'm actually kind of shocked by how many people in this thread think BlackBerry still needs a partnership with a large manufacturer after their little hardware write down last week and their "read between the lines" message of "we're not making phones for right now if ever again."

And um...I don't know if people know this... but BlackBerry and a manufacturer can break up and get back together again. Have you not paid attention to Apple and Samsung? One year they're in love and all the Apple insides are Samsung.. the next year, they're suing each other's pants off and all the Apple insides are LG. If down the road, BlackBerry got it together again and ponied up the cash to enter into an agreement with this manufacturer...well, money makes everything better.

Just please, one of you, explain to me why you think BlackBerry should continue making phones that they have too many of already?
    09-27-13 01:03 AM
    WSJ: BlackBerry Manufacturing Partner Looking to Ensure They All Still Have Jobs Tomorrow.

Fixed that title for you.

If they had it their way, they'd still have BlackBerry as a strong customer. Where their future production is in question, they'd rather look for contracts from someone they know will be able to keep them employed. Can't say I blame them. Simple business logic there really.
    richardat and MERCDROID like this.
    09-27-13 01:07 AM
    Maybe they got shortchanged on the contract for the Z30 and there's some sour grapes. Who knows? There's a lot more to this story than we'll ever know.
    09-27-13 01:12 AM
    Just please, one of you, explain to me why you think BlackBerry should continue making phones that they have too many of already?
    We don't. You said

"BlackBerry not manufacturing as much/at all given the overstock of devices is a good thing"

The point richardat was making is that this is completely untrue, and represents the worst type of spin doctoring. Jabil announces that they're going to take a huge charge to write off the cost of shutting down their relationship with BBRY, and your response is that 'it's a good thing'. BBRY loses a key manufacturing partner and your spin is that

"BlackBerry not manufacturing as much/at all given the overstock of devices is a good thing"

This is not a good thing. No aspect of this is a good thing for BBRY.

That's the point.
    Donvald and richardat like this.
    09-27-13 01:17 AM
    Unfortunately, not surprised. No gloom/doom. It's a business decision and I'm sure we're going to read more of the same from others before, until and/or if it gets better for BlackBerry.
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-27-13 01:18 AM
    Meh. Bail. Not bail. I will be so glad when CrackBerry gets back to normal, and I do not have to read a million threads on the very same subject.
    Yeah. That's gonna happen. Nothing's happened this week at all. All quiet here. Nothing to see. Keep Movin'
    09-27-13 01:37 AM
    We don't. You said

The point richardat was making is that this is completely untrue, and represents the worst type of spin doctoring. Jabil announces that they're going to take a huge charge to write off the cost of shutting down their relationship with BBRY, and your response is that 'it's a good thing'. BBRY loses a key manufacturing partner and your spin is that

This is not a good thing. No aspect of this is a good thing for BBRY.

That's the point.
    Yeah.. I still think a cease in manufacturing because they have too many unsold devices is a good thing. Does it make for a pretty headline in the news? No way. But if it's best for Jabil and BlackBerry has no immediate need for them, then how's it a problem??

If there is a flood in the bathroom, and no one's cleaning it up, why are you keeping the faucet on?
    09-27-13 01:48 AM
    Yeah.. I still think a cease in manufacturing because they have too many unsold devices is a good thing.
    You're either trolling me or, respectfully, you've lost some perspective on this. I suspect the former.

If you blow your children's college fund on crystal meth and then, without your wife's knowledge, you take a second mortgage on the house and blow that on crystal meth and heroin, and then, desperate for drug money, you decide to sell your car for cash and on the way to the lot you run over a pedestrian and dent your fender, would you say

"Oh well, that fender had a little ding in it anyhow, so needing to get it fixed is actually a good thing"?
    MERCDROID likes this.
    09-27-13 01:58 AM
    You're either trolling me or, respectfully, you've lost some perspective on this. I suspect the former.

If you blow your children's college fund on crystal meth and then, without your wife's knowledge, you take a second mortgage on the house and blow that on crystal meth and heroin, and then, desperate for drug money, you decide to sell your car for cash and on the way to the lot you run over a pedestrian and dent your fender, would you say

"Oh well, that fender had a little ding in it anyhow, so needing to get it fixed is actually a good thing"?
    I'm not trolling you, I just completely disagree with you.
    09-27-13 02:57 AM
    I'm not trolling you, I just completely disagree with you.
    So in the example I gave, you would say

"Oh well, that fender had a ding in it anyhow, so needing to get it fixed is actually a good thing"?
    09-27-13 03:01 AM
    I think someone basically posted on this thread that all of the negative talk will only be vindicated after Blackberry gets shuttered. Until then, it's all negative media bias and troll talk.
    So it's 'media bias' when valid news is being reported?

I think the only people trolling here are those of you who cannot wake up and smell the coffee.
    cckgz4 and MERCDROID like this.
    09-27-13 03:29 AM
113 12345