09-28-13 07:26 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    Stevie wasn't really a genius but everyone thought he was so ... there you go.
    Yes. Because despite all the evidence to the contrary, the most-valuable-company-ever and ubiquitous product line he left behind,....we'll take your word for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-26-13 03:28 PM
    Maybe not, but how many other people have changed entire industries like Jobs did? He changed the personal computing industry, not once, but twice with the original Apple Computer and then the mass introduction of the GUI. Maybe a third time with tablets. He changed motion picture animation to the degree regular animated movies can't make money anymore. He changed the way people listen to, and buy music. He changed the mobile phone industry. Yeah, he didn't do much.... there you go.

ADDENDUM: The really whacky thing is, he founded and lead Apple to become the world's most valuable public company, but the value of his estate is dominated by his ownership in Disney.
    09-26-13 03:28 PM
    I will be happy as long as i'm using my qwerty! seriously, In order to build BB from scratch, they will need to Revamp it! every single CEO comes in and people get excited... You can't grow nice trees when you have bad roots... just like usa healthcare..someone will come and wipe it and start a brand new thing..
    09-26-13 03:37 PM
    Palm fans were saying the same thing a couple years ago...... Some are still saying the same thing.
    I can appreciate the willingness to relate BlackBerry to Palm, as both were smartphone pioneers...But BlackBerry solutions continue to be rolled out and deployed in the government, and bought in bulk by other companies as well.

If it were JUST the consumer side of things, I would probably agree, but that's not the case, and to ignore BlackBerry's presence in enterprise/government is as ignorant as saying that BlackBerry will one day be bigger than Apple.
    09-26-13 03:39 PM
    I use a Z10 that I got before you got your BB10
    And you know this how? Also do the blackberry struggles make you not like your z10 anymore or did you never like it?

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-26-13 03:39 PM
    I can appreciate the willingness to relate BlackBerry to Palm, as both were smartphone pioneers...But BlackBerry solutions continue to be rolled out and deployed in the government, and bought in bulk by other companies as well.

If it were JUST the consumer side of things, I would probably agree, but that's not the case, and to ignore BlackBerry's presence in enterprise/government is as ignorant as saying that BlackBerry will one day be bigger than Apple.
    Here's your starter for ten - how many current BES 10 servers are live and how many are test servers?
    Drew808 likes this.
    09-26-13 03:43 PM
    Perception is everything.

BB10 is a lot better than it's perceived, but because of the preconceived notions about BlackBerry being "uncool", they just fall further and further down the mountain.

Try get an Android dev who's app is perfectly compatible with BB10 to port it over. In my experience, it ain't happening. Some people are out here posting "negative" things, but just like me I'm sure they want BB to succeed, they just see what's happening on the ground and it's very far from pretty.

I'm hoping they can pull out of the tail spin, but I am certainly no longer betting the farm on it. If they do disappear from the handset market, I will be sad about that.
    09-26-13 03:45 PM
    This was a very different time with almost no competition. Apple has a lot of different product offerings and like it or not, Steve Jobs was a marketing genius something Blackberry does not have. Since Steve died have you seen any real movement at Apple? No. All the products they are offering right now were planned years ago when Steve was still around.

From what I have seen year after year, the constant promises, failure to launch products and missing timelines Blackberry will have to clean out all the management and bring in new blood. This will take time and resources which Blackberry doesn't have in this fast moving game they are playing in.

With all the resent news the brand "Blackberry" is severely damaged and I personally believe they have a very very small chance to recover even after they go private. Time will tell.

Well I think they did not get a lot of competition, but it sure was huge. Microsoft, IBM and HP pretty much ruled the market back then. If you would of seen the negative press Apple had it was astounding. The fact is BlackBerry has a good product that's badly marketed. It has been since BlackBerry 10 is out. Who is responsible for all the delays and hiccups? That stupid executive board composed of mainly idiots from around the world that care only for their own contracts and wallet. The only thing BlackBerry needs to survive is a executive board that cares and composed of mainly Canadians. Anyways that just my 2 cents on the subject. The only problem at BlackBerry is their executives, it's not their products or services.
    09-26-13 03:45 PM
    Maybe not, but how many other people have changed entire industries like Jobs did? He changed the personal computing industry, not once, but twice with the original Apple Computer and then the mass introduction of the GUI. Maybe a third time with tablets. He changed motion picture animation to the degree regular animated movies can't make money anymore. He changed the way people listen to, and buy music. He changed the mobile phone industry. Yeah, he didn't do much.... there you go.

ADDENDUM: The really whacky thing is, he founded and lead Apple to become the world's most valuable public company, but the value of his estate is dominated by his ownership in Disney.
    wow are you ever a fanboy of apple. most of the things that he "Pioneered" he stole from other companies business models. Mp3 players were out long before the ipod, Animation was entering cgi long before Jobs got involved and it was Disney that changed the scope of things in that industry, before jobs invested in it. The phones, well we all know Blackberry started the smart phone era, so you are wrong on that point as well.
    I'm pretty sure Windows introduced the world to a GUI before Mac/Apple caught on. What he did do was promote exclusivity and outrageous pricing for small increments of change. Apple doesn't really innovate, they emulate but make it look like innovation. That is the only place that Jobs was a genius.
    09-26-13 03:47 PM
    wow are you ever a fanboy of apple. most of the things that he "Pioneered" he stole from other companies business models. Mp3 players were out long before the ipod, Animation was entering cgi long before Jobs got involved and it was Disney that changed the scope of things in that industry before being jobs invested in it. The phones, well we all know Blackberry started the smart phone era, so you are wrong on that point as well.
    I'm pretty sure Windows introduced the world to a GUI before Mac/Apple caught on. What he did do was promote exclusivity and outrageous pricing for small increments of change. Apple doesn't really innovate, they emulate but make it look like innovation. That is the only place that Jobs was a genius.
    You don't understand what 'innovate' means in a business context, you seem to think it means 'invent' - the ipod didn't need to be out before mp3 players to be an innovation.
    09-26-13 03:49 PM
    Yes he was perceived to be a great genius because he was a great salesman ... he sold shiny things to people who love shiny things. Good businessman, but not a genius in the conventional sense, unless you mean a genius at giving affluent consumers shiny gadgets?
    09-26-13 03:49 PM
    Yes he was perceived to be a great genius because he was a great salesman ... he sold shiny things to people who love shiny things. Good businessman, but not a genius in the conventional sense, unless you mean a genius at giving affluent consumers shiny gadgets?
    Within the context of running a business and the sector he was in what other metric would we use beyond "was widely successful and changed an industry"? Making vague sounds about "mobile computing" and "hyperactive prosumers" while tanking your companies stock?

Actually maybe that's it - tanking your company but walking away with $55 million now that is genius.
    21stNow, techvisor, Saiga and 2 others like this.
    09-26-13 03:54 PM
    Here's your starter for ten - how many current BES 10 servers are live and how many are test servers?

I have no definitive answer for that (obviously), but how many entities were even testing Palm servers???? The Pentagon is building infrastructure to support 10,000 BlackBerry 10 devices in October, and another 30,000 by the end of December.

When Palm was circling the drain, there was nothing of this kind on their horizon.

If you can't see the difference between BlackBerry and Palm on the enterprise/government side of things, then you're ignoring an entire side of the situation.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-26-13 03:56 PM
    Shouldn't be a surprise based on the write down of Z10s.
    Yeah my they over estimated the demand if they reversed the roll out with the Q10 first they would of been in better shape.
    09-26-13 04:04 PM
    And you know this how? Also do the blackberry struggles make you not like your z10 anymore or did you never like it?

Posted via CB10
    Reserved unit #7 from Rogers, December 17,2012. Picked up at Rogers store minute it was released in Ontario February 5.

I didn't state I don't like my device anymore did I?
    MERCDROID likes this.
    09-26-13 04:08 PM
    Wow, I'm surprised that a current supplier of a customer (especially their second largest customer) would say such a thing to the media.

I mean, I work in automotive and we are major supplier to the big 3 (Ford, GM and Chrysler) + Honda/Toyota and we never would have the audacity to state publically that we are thinking of dropping one of our customers; even in 2008 when GM and Chrysler almost went belly up. If this is true, it is extremely unprofessional for a company to discuss customer relations with the media when they're still doing business with them.
    09-26-13 04:11 PM
    Can I ask why you still post here? If they are dead there must be nothing to talk about. You seem to have moved on but yet stick around here encourage negativity that not everyone wants to read. Frankly it's kind of annoying. I'm sure you have an android or iPhone so you could always go to one of those fansites and join their happy clubs rather than making us all miserable.

Posted via CB10
    The blame for your misery should be properly attributed to Blackberry itself.
    09-26-13 04:12 PM
    Wow, I'm surprised that a current supplier of a customer (especially their second largest customer) would say such a thing to the media.

I mean, I work in automotive and we are major supplier to the big 3 (Ford, GM and Chrysler) + Honda/Toyota and we never would have the audacity to state publically that we are thinking of dropping one of our customers; even in 2008 when GM and Chrysler almost went belly up. If this is true, it is extremely unprofessional for a company to discuss customer relations with the media when they're still doing business with them.
    No choice, it is a material fact that impacts *their* shareholders so they have to disclose it - it is likely because they are one of the few companies that has a really solid idea of how meant phones bbry had paid for, the gap between that and their sales and equally important how many they are already contractual obliged to pay for. This is a coded way of saying "no more bbry hardware" without saying it.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    09-26-13 04:26 PM
    I would like to ask for more negative posts, I simply can not get enough of reading "its over", "wheels flying off" and "rip rim"
    09-26-13 04:27 PM

Unless they are not living up to their end of the deal and have stiffed the suppliers.
    09-26-13 04:41 PM
    No choice, it is a material fact that impacts *their* shareholders so they have to disclose it - it is likely because they are one of the few companies that has a really solid idea of how meant phones bbry had paid for, the gap between that and their sales and equally important how many they are already contractual obliged to pay for. This is a coded way of saying "no more bbry hardware" without saying it.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    However, not to that level of detail. We are a publically traded company, but the direct detailed dealings with our customers are not laid out to the shareholders, mainly the financials.

As I stated before, we thought Chrysler and GM were done with Honda and Toyota eating their luncha few years back - were those thoughts to be publically stated to our shareholders.. absolutely not. In the future, and this goes for any customer, you don't burn bridges unnecessarily that could come back to bite you in the a$$. It's simply unprofessional for any company.
    09-26-13 04:43 PM
    wow are you ever a fanboy of apple. most of the things that he "Pioneered" he stole from other companies business models. Mp3 players were out long before the ipod, Animation was entering cgi long before Jobs got involved and it was Disney that changed the scope of things in that industry, before jobs invested in it. The phones, well we all know Blackberry started the smart phone era, so you are wrong on that point as well.
    Apple invented none of the things that made them famous today. Their big thing lies in making technology accessible to the masses. Yes MP3 players existed before iPods, but they sucked. iPods married ease of use with awesome industrial design. This is what Apple was always great at, ease of use with incredible design. GUI was invented at Xerox, but they hid it in a lab and didn't know what to do with it. They literally gave it away. Apple was the first company to try and sell it to the public. In cas you didn't know, Windows came wayyyyyyyyy AFTER MacOS and LISA. Computer animation existed long before Pixar, but no one did feature length films like Pixar did. Does anyone remember a full length computer animated film before Toy Story? You think it was Disney that started the computer animation trend? Name me one Disney computer animated film before they purchased Pixar. I didn't think so. Their first full length computer animated film was made in 2005, a forgettable film called Chicken Little. Palm actually started the smartphone era, but again, those all sucked compared to iPhone. All BlackBerry did was introduce push email, which in 2013 is not a big deal. iPhone shifted the paradigm from "phones that can do PIM stuff and basic apps" to "handheld computer that makes phone calls." That was what BlackBerry didn't understand and didn't catch onto until it was too late. Was Steve Jobs a genius.... maybe not, but it seems he sure had his hand in a lot of things in tech that changed the world in the last 30+ years. Not exactly a "fanboy" but giving respect where respect is due. Steve Jobs lead a full life, and the things he did changed the world for the better, not once, but multiple times. Not many people can claim to have done the same.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-26-13 at 05:06 PM.
    09-26-13 04:53 PM
    Reserved unit #7 from Rogers, December 17,2012. Picked up at Rogers store minute it was released in Ontario February 5.

I didn't state I don't like my device anymore did I?
    Then be a fan of it. I also had my z10 day 1 reserved from rogers as well. But it is soon to be replaced by a z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 05:05 PM
    Not good, but not quite the final straw. If BlackBerry decides to continue in the hardware business, they can certainly find a new manufacturer or try and negotiate with their current one. Trouble is, that's a pretty big if - the business incentive to continue making hardware erodes with every announcement like this, unless they have a plan I haven't thought of.
    09-26-13 05:16 PM
    And yet another overreaction by cb forum members and the tech media.

Posted via CB10
    When does it stop being "over reaction by cb member" and become an actual serious problem within BlackBerry?? Because I think they are there after everything.....

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-26-13 05:20 PM
113 1234 ...