View Poll Results: Heins' Grossest Violation of Trust was:

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying Jet's while Firing Canuck's left and right

48 27.91%
  • Scheming to Create 70,000 Fake Apps?

31 18.02%
  • Wasting Money on F1 Sponsorships and Parties?

8 4.65%
  • Starf*cking with Alicia Keys

27 15.70%
  • None! I still like the guy. It's not his fault!

58 33.72%
11-07-13 05:38 AM
191 ... 5678
tools
    Give him the damn jet and free fuel for a year and fire him.

I'll save the company a lot of money
    dicks-webos likes this.
    09-24-13 10:03 AM
    my manager's position is "director, customer service, eastern region, canada" . he has 700 people like me to managed. we are world wide 200 000 plus employees in this company. he uses one of the jets of the company at least once per two weeks. now tell me, you expect the guy who is managing 8 000 people and a company worth over 5 billions to sit in a commercial plan like ME??? even i had the opportunity to use this jet because like in an example mentioned before , we had a presentation to discussed during the flight and it couldn't be heard by anyone else outside of the corporation. this is plain ridiculous! to claim that having access to the right tools to make his job is a waste of money means that you have no idea how big corporations work.
    Ummm yes I do. I have run a division of a public company. Have you?

I have seen the CEOs of a many billion dollar companies sitting in coach. No one criticized them, in fact it motivated all of us to try to save money.

These are people who respect the stakeholders, be them shareholders, vendors, or employees. I have seen CEO of public companies driving just plain cars. No one criticized them.

If you need a private jet for a "meeting" that simply can't be heard by anyone, use a fractional jet service.

When your division / company is in trouble, you try to make everything a variable cost that flexes with volume so if volume drops you dont have a high fixed overhead. I have also been an employee is a company where there was plenty of "toys" for the CEO and his team, and where we went down the tube.

The argument that this is a real and valuable tool for business is only valid in the heads of private jet salesmen. The rest is just justifying.

In the end it is how bad do you want to honor and respect the stakeholders. The problem with the mobile business is that there were/are prima donnas that grew up in the "anything goes" times, where the money was coming in so fast that this kind of stuff got lost in the rounding. Now that these are all mature businesses, you should (must) view your business model in real terms, not the fantasy of justification because it is prestigious, comfortable, and easy.

Real leaders fly coach, drive common cars, shun the "toys" and garner the respect and loyalty of the team, even when times are tough. So that when you have to make the hard decision, everyone knows, you did your best to avoid it. They know that you are in the foxhole with them.

Flame away....
    09-24-13 01:04 PM
    I saw a piece of video recently that showed Heins being delivered to work in a chauffeur driven car. The driver then got out and helped him into his suit jacket and smoothed the shoulders before Heins walked away.
    For what it's worth, I live and work in Waterloo and have seen Heins driving his Red convertible Mercedes home from work. So if he's getting a chauffer ride I would expect it's for specific events and not for day to day commutes.
    09-24-13 01:14 PM
    Hey- why are you so surprised about the new jet? I love my BlackBerry, but nevertheless BlackBerry Corp. isnt more moralistic than other corp.... The fat cats need their jets while the toilet tissue for the average employee will rationed...
    09-24-13 01:51 PM
    HEY, LAY OFF!

They needed the jets to prevent another "DIVERT THE PLANE TO VANCOUVER" on a flight ot Shanghai incident when the executives travel abroad.

Who remembers THAT little PR incident from the late Fall of 2011??

Drunk RIM executives forced plane into lockdown; court transcript | Toronto Star
    That is incredible story, that explains the need for a long-haul Corporate Jet!
    09-24-13 05:54 PM
    What is the scandal? Most company has one, even small ones. Please enlighten me.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 05:58 PM
    How come the poll is not multiple choice?

So hard to choose.
    09-24-13 06:00 PM
    Yes, the Wall Street J***off -- yet another fine example of a fair and unbiased media.

I think I would vaporlock on the spot if I ever saw an article in that rag that was even remotely neutral on BB, let alone positive.

Go ahead, start flaming. You know you want to.
    09-24-13 06:00 PM
    What is the scandal? Most company has one, even small ones. Please enlighten me.

Posted via CB10
    Do those companies have 3?

Read the thread, some interesting posts here
    09-24-13 06:07 PM
    They did own 3, yet two have been for sale since Feb. Not exactly a slam dunk case

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 06:24 PM
    As a commercial pilot with corporate charter experience I was planning on explaining why it would have been financially better for BlackBerry to keep the jet. However after having read a number of the posts here, it's obvious to me that many people here wont listen to reason & would ignore anything I said while reiterating their inexperienced/educated opinion; just like they have done to previous posters who have made valid points.

I will say one thing that has not yet been mentioned. Buying & selling a plane is not like buying & selling a car. Especially a commercially run aircraft. It takes months, sometimes even years; especially if the aircraft is being imported.
    09-24-13 07:33 PM
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'd like your take on it.

Personally, I weed out "bb sucks" and "bb rules" comments.
    09-24-13 08:02 PM
    As a commercial pilot with corporate charter experience I was planning on explaining why it would have been financially better for BlackBerry to keep the jet. However after having read a number of the posts here, it's obvious to me that many people here wont listen to reason & would ignore anything I said while reiterating their inexperienced/educated opinion; just like they have done to previous posters who have made valid points.

I will say one thing that has not yet been mentioned. Buying & selling a plane is not like buying & selling a car. Especially a commercially run aircraft. It takes months, sometimes even years; especially if the aircraft is being imported.
    It's just bad optics, that is all
    09-24-13 08:05 PM
    ...and clearly we have no shortage of members who are willing to take advantage of that...

:facepalm:

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    09-24-13 09:28 PM
    Oh I agree with that.

...and clearly we have no shortage of members who are willing to take advantage of that...

:facepalm:

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    And that

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 04:41 AM
    I totally agree with BBPandy as I have been involved in corporate Aviation for over 20 yrs (14yrs on the one they bought). It's hard to tell the general public how these corporate jets are used for business and not pleasure. Like BBPandy I can go one but no one would understand unless they have been involved especially how much time it saves compared to commercial flights!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 07:59 AM

I would like very much to see a financial analysis that justifies private plane ownership, and does not include comfort, privacy, security, and flexibility as the key arguments. Sure, alot of companies have private airplanes, but I have never seen a financial justification.
    09-25-13 09:14 AM
    I totally agree with BBPandy as I have been involved in corporate Aviation for over 20 yrs (14yrs on the one they bought). It's hard to tell the general public how these corporate jets are used for business and not pleasure. Like BBPandy I can go one but no one would understand unless they have been involved especially how much time it saves compared to commercial flights!

Posted via CB10
    Other than a few off color comments, I don't think anyone disputed the usefulness of a jet.

The real discussion was whether it was a good idea amongst all the turmoil surrounding the company.
    09-25-13 10:21 AM
    Just saw the news now. What a joke.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    09-25-13 10:25 AM
    Other than a few off color comments, I don't think anyone disputed the usefulness of a jet.

The real discussion was whether it was a good idea amongst all the turmoil surrounding the company.
    The financial termoil of the company is why they got the jet. It was purchased as a cost cutting measure. The plan was to consolidate their fleet into one aircraft that can do the job of 2 smaller ones. Aircraft are expensive to have sitting on the ground doing nothing. They have cycle & calander maintenance inspections.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    Apple doesn't have one and all employee fly commercial. They do get to take business class if the trip is over 3000 miles one way. Tim Cook and his guys all follow the same rule as their other employees. You can argue Apple is not BBRY and they sucks.. etc but as a company they are hugely successful and earn more than enough to buy company jets.
    I recalled talking to a friend of friends who was in the start-up business. He had the pleasure to join separate meetings with Tim Cook and Heins. According to him, Tim Cook is a very demanding person when formally dealing with business stuff but is a very nice and polite person in casual setup. Heins was just totally arrogant and looked down on everyone but himself, formal or otherwise.
    09-25-13 02:42 PM
    The financial termoil of the company is why they got the jet. It was purchased as a cost cutting measure. The plan was to consolidate their fleet into one aircraft that can do the job of 2 smaller ones. Aircraft are expensive to have sitting on the ground doing nothing. They have cycle & calander maintenance inspections.

Posted via CB10
    I understand what you are saying. My problem with the scenario is they only said "we planned on selling the other two jets". Do we know if the falcons were actively up for sale?

Let's oversimplify things:
    I have 2 cars, both of which are older
    I need a car for work
    My financial situation isn't the greatest right now, not bringing in the revenue I was expecting
    I decide that I only need one car since it will be cheaper to operate
    I buy a 3rd car before I sold the other 2

Does that make any sense at all? Do you think BBRY could have managed to survive using just 1 falcon until the situation improved?
    notfanboy likes this.
    09-25-13 02:54 PM
    Apple doesn't have one and all employee fly commercial. They do get to take business class if the trip is over 3000 miles one way. Tim Cook and his guys all follow the same rule as their other employees. You can argue Apple is not BBRY and they sucks.. etc but as a company they are hugely successful and earn more than enough to buy company jets.
    I recalled talking to a friend of friends who was in the start-up business. He had the pleasure to join separate meetings with Tim Cook and Heins. According to him, Tim Cook is a very demanding person when formally dealing with business stuff but is a very nice and polite person in casual setup. Heins was just totally arrogant and looked down on everyone but himself, formal or otherwise.
    I can't confirm this personally, but everyone I have talked to who has met TH said that he was a very personable friendly person.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 03:49 PM
    I agree with the post above me.
    The company is failing and bleeding cash from everywhere as of Friday.
    Another 4000+ people are now going to work worrying about when they will be let go and how they will pay their bills.
    BlackBerry has already reduce their sales force, asked employees to cost cut and travel less. I've seen this first hand.
    It doesn't matter how you slice this or spin it, a company in this position should have sold these jets a long time ago.
    How can they cut 9000 employees and still have a need for a fleet?
    Of course employee moral is going to be down.
    I could go on and on listing ways they've asked employees to cut costs including monitoring their cell phone usage since they are company issued phones.

I'm sure only the c suite execs are using the fleet because I've got numerous friends and family working at the company who use their own vehicles or fly with the common folk.

If they have to travel, fly the same way the employees do. Otherwise use bbm video or Skype.

What an absolute farce.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    09-25-13 03:55 PM
    I understand what you are saying. My problem with the scenario is they only said "we planned on selling the other two jets". Do we know if the falcons were actively up for sale?
    That I don't know. We do know that they have not been used since the new plane was purchased.....but beyond that nothing.

BTW if anyone wants to check them out, they are:
    Registration Mark: C-GBBX
    Registration Mark: C-GLBB
    Registration Mark: C-GXBB (the new one)
    09-25-13 04:12 PM
191 ... 5678