View Poll Results: Heins' Grossest Violation of Trust was:

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying Jet's while Firing Canuck's left and right

48 27.91%
  • Scheming to Create 70,000 Fake Apps?

31 18.02%
  • Wasting Money on F1 Sponsorships and Parties?

8 4.65%
  • Starf*cking with Alicia Keys

27 15.70%
  • None! I still like the guy. It's not his fault!

58 33.72%
11-07-13 04:38 AM
191 ... 45678
tools
    I bet in the long run it was cheaper to buy the plane than to lease one. You don't think Thor and a team of fifteen or so are going to go coach and spend a couple of days in airports trying to make connections and dealing with delays?

Buy the plane, use it for a year and sell it and they most likely will have saved money.
    09-23-13 09:12 AM
    I bet in the long run it was cheaper to buy the plane than to lease one. You don't think Thor and a team of fifteen or so are going to go coach and spend a couple of days in airports trying to make connections and dealing with delays?

Buy the plane, use it for a year and sell it and they most likely will have saved money.
    Why couldn't they do that? Millions of people do it.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 09:48 AM
    I guess the reason why Blackberry is selling the jet is that it only has iPhone / iPad changer support ... you can check the specs for the jet here where this is highlighted ... Global Express XRS - LX-GXX - 10 passengers | globaljetconcept.com
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 09:55 AM
    Thorsten deserves the best

He's such a great CEO and what he touches turns gold
    09-23-13 10:19 AM
    Thorsten deserves the best

He's such a great CEO and what he touches turns gold
    That was a good.one, thanks, I almost spit my coffee across my 27"...

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-23-13 10:27 AM
    I don't see the "none of the above" option.

In terms of violating trust, Heins' biggest error was announcing BB10 on the PlayBook. That could still be topped by cross-platform BBM if the latter is not released or released in a crippled (i.e. non-cross platform) state.
    Last edited by CHIP72; 09-23-13 at 11:46 AM.
    milo53 likes this.
    09-23-13 11:23 AM
    You don't think Thor and a team of fifteen or so are going to go coach and spend a couple of days in airports trying to make connections and dealing with delays?
    I don't think it's really safe for Thor to go anywhere in public where there might be BB fans that recognize him. He might be fearful for his safety, so being locked in a flying metal tube with potential critics of his would make him want to open the door and jump out.

It would not surprise me one bit if buying the jet before the company gets purchased was a pre-condition for some deal that's brewing: they want to use a publicly-traded company's money so that when they go private, they have a jet to use. "They" being the management team of the buyers, which I HOPE that Thor and his cronies are not among them.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-23-13 at 12:24 PM.
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 11:41 AM
    I need to create a few more accounts so I can pick "all of the above".
    09-23-13 12:08 PM
    lol @ Z10s on a plane

Seriously, do people expect TH to McDonalds for dollar menu lunches? Who really expects the executive management to run a company like it's going broke? You expect to see Heins on the city bus next?
    He can ride his motorcycle year round or take public transport during inclement weather. As for his lunch he can brown bag it.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    09-23-13 02:18 PM
    Whats wrong with flying commercial airlines.
    milo53 likes this.
    09-23-13 02:25 PM
    Anybody here heard of Ingvar Kamprad? He's the founder and former CEO of IKEA. It's hard to say how much he's worth, maybe $30 billion, maybe $3 billion, depending on how you count the money he's donated to various foundations in his name. Anyway, IKEA does not own any private jets. Ingvar himself flies COACH and requires his executive team to do the same. Corp jets are an executive perk, everybody knows it. IKEA follows the founders principles about frugality, and Ingvar leads by example.
    Exactly, lead by example!
    dicks-webos likes this.
    09-23-13 02:54 PM
    So he sells one jet and that is great. Then he wants to reduce two jets to one effectively getting rid of another and now he is Satan. Then lastly they get rid of the last one after seeing how poorly Q2 is going. They literally downsized their fleet the whole way. At which point did they add more jets because they planned on keeping more? Some people here are just crazy. They did nothing wrong.
    09-23-13 03:03 PM
    Tim Cook flied commercial and most of the times on business class. To most people here, Tim Cook is not the same caliber as Thorsten Heins, but still Cook is undeniably a very highly respected and successful executive.
    h20work and danprown like this.
    09-23-13 03:15 PM
    Has anyone seen the "social-media" posts that indicate the jets were in use?
    h20work likes this.
    09-23-13 03:44 PM
    To most people here, Tim Cook is not the same caliber as Thorsten Heins
    LOL!
    RyanGermann likes this.
    09-23-13 03:53 PM
    Tim Cook flied commercial and most of the times on business class. To most people here, Tim Cook is not the same caliber as Thorsten Heins, but still Cook is undeniably a very highly respected and successful executive.
    LOL!
    LOL indeed.. but also NSISOS (Not sure if serious or sarcastic... is that a thing yet?)
    09-23-13 04:28 PM
    Useless facts none the less, they laid off 40% of their work force (needed or not) but blew 25, 000, 000 on a Jet. Guess someone thought bb10 would take off.

Posted via CB10
    Just my 2 cents:
    If put on the table one next to the other, spending 25million vs firing 4500 people is indeed causing a great negative impact.. if it is out of context.

Expenditures have to create value, generate profit.
    One thing is how the plane might give added value and another if expenditures for wages / profit generation ratio decreases.

One thing does not cancel or balance the other.

Point is you are not throwing money away. A plane is an asset, an employee that does not produce is not (in strict business terms). That is the difference. If you pay people without them making money for the business and they take money out that has no positive impact, this is to throw money in the bin and do that indefinitely (the question is, how long will you keep on paying them without producing profits?).

Many companies downsize with excuses out of greed, I agree, but BBRY is in real trouble and in real need of downsizing. The ship is really in bad shape folks.

Socially and humainly... I hate it, I really do. It is unfair for people to loose their job while others take millions, this is true. But it is not the truth that these people are going to be without a job because of a plane being bought (which was also later sold..., so liquidated). The truth is that these people are out of a job because BBRY kept on failing once and again and the Management decisions drove the company to a state where it cannot use these workers to produce earnings now, they will only bleed them further economically. Sad and harsh, but this is how business is run.

This does not make me like it at all and I have said again, I really feel for these people, really do, but Heinz and the Board did fail the employees because they did not run the company well and it was brought to its current state, not because of the jet

What I think would really be something provoking would be for TH to receive 55milion (personal gain) for ruining the company, or failing to deliver while these people are out of jobs, to that I would agree totally but I really doubt he will get to give them money from his piggy bag out of a tormented conscience.

as I said, just my 2 cents and I really really feel for all these families. The board has responsibility but not because of a darned plane... because of a million other reasons, but not the 25million the jet cost.

Peace.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-23-13 05:28 PM
    Andrew, do you have any clue how many people he fired from 45,000 feet while sipping champagne?

Ok, you deleted the word "Pig" out of my title, can I use "Schwein" instead?
    Do you?

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    09-23-13 05:32 PM
    I'd say, "t's all rather moot now !!" The war's over and after we sort things out we'll be changing uniforms in a couple months when the agreement is formalized.

Don't try to figure the minutia now, all the signs were there for a yea--and since late June even for the most ardent holdout, and BB has been in play since early in the year, if not last year, for any high roller willing. But given June results and the industry release of summer smart phone sales , BB had to be sold before or concurrent with the (formal) release of this weeks qtrly financials. The stock would have slipped to $6-7 and then fallen off the map under $5 by year's end. Fairfax was the logical and likely only choice to pay anything near $9 and, moreover, can bury that cost for a time in its own financials.

Now what about those jets again!!
    09-23-13 08:26 PM
    The upgraded version of the BlackBerry corporate plane?

WSJ- BBRY Corporate Jet Scandal-img_5615-2.jpg
    semperfi45 likes this.
    09-23-13 08:31 PM
    Why is a $25 million jet, after selling 2 others, so a compromise, a SCANDLE... but paying TH mote than double that is fine?

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    09-23-13 09:15 PM
    I think this just reflects the whole situation. Heins takes over RIM, puts a $56 million clause in his contract in the event of getting the boot. So he plays the punching bag clown for a year and a half and goes plane shopping on company expense. BB10 was already in development, so left it running. Didn't care anyways. Then just surrounds himself with marketing imbeciles to NOT make the new product successful, because he needs to screw it up to get the boot in the end. Announce another new device (Q10) and keeps it also from being a success. Adds to the negative portfolio as well. But that's what he wants. He wants that $56 million, forgot?
    Then the whole wagon starts to really spin the wheels in the mud...good job so far, because there is a workgroup installed now to evaluate where BB is heading. After that comes September and we announce the new flagship Z30. But HEY, we gotta mess this up for everybody to see and announce a catastrophic loss a day or so later, so that hardly anybody wants to buy the new device from a company on it's death bed. Great job, and to put the dot on the i and really leave almost no other choice than to get the boot very soon, we just fire 4,500 people. That oughta do it, don't you think?
    So an investor jumps in to take over the rubble, but let's rip off the shareholders whike we're at it to beach the wagon completely and really pi$$ enough people off to want you out. Dammit, how much BS does it take to get me fired???

If the deal goes through, Heins is gonna get the boot, no doubt.

Imagine that will be almost two years of reign and $56 mill in the bank. Harharhar...that's over $20 mill a year. Not bad, huh?

I say he knew the company was not gonna succeed and that's WHY he wanted the job, and that's WHY he put the $56 mill in the contract. That's what it was all about the whole time! He just made sure that the company gies belly up ASAP to make a quick buck.

BTW, die hard BB fan here to the bitter end. But I am seriously shocked how this company got blown into shambles in the past and I am ashamed to be a fellow german to Heins...
    milo53 and dicks-webos like this.
    09-23-13 09:21 PM
    HEY, LAY OFF!

They needed the jets to prevent another "DIVERT THE PLANE TO VANCOUVER" on a flight ot Shanghai incident when the executives travel abroad.

Who remembers THAT little PR incident from the late Fall of 2011??

Drunk RIM executives forced plane into lockdown; court transcript | Toronto Star
    09-23-13 10:09 PM
    I saw a piece of video recently that showed Heins being delivered to work in a chauffeur driven car. The driver then got out and helped him into his suit jacket and smoothed the shoulders before Heins walked away.

Seeing that it was really clear to me what one of the problems with this company is.
    That is a terrible sign. This is the problem within the company as well, a dull and dust covered culture. Don't even want to see how their offices look like, probably dull cubicles from the 90ties everywhere. T-shirt, jeans and self driving a Tesla would the the way. Chauffeur driven is old style and more like Siemens - but nothing that fits a high tech company.

As ralfyguy mentions - very ashamed to be a fellow German to Heins.
    09-24-13 02:13 AM
    Hey this has nothing to do with being German or any other nationality. Self-entitled egomaniacs exist in ALL countries and organizations and I'm not calling Herr Heins "that" ... but it's beginning to look like he too wanted to gorge himself at the trough of the despicable bosses.

I DO understand the need for a corporate jet - ESPECIALLY after the "drunken RIM executives" debacle (see link in my earlier post (#148) - BUT the more I see and hear (I mean, WHO 'needs' a McLaren F1 Mercedes????) the more I'm starting to also dislike the guy.
    And I was a supporter until VERY recently.

Schweinchen gibt es leider berall ....

That is a terrible sign. This is the problem within the company as well, a dull and dust covered culture. Don't even want to see how their offices look like, probably dull cubicles from the 90ties everywhere. T-shirt, jeans and self driving a Tesla would the the way. Chauffeur driven is old style and more like Siemens - but nothing that fits a high tech company.

As ralfyguy mentions - very ashamed to be a fellow German to Heins.
    09-24-13 07:21 AM
191 ... 45678