View Poll Results: Heins' Grossest Violation of Trust was:

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying Jet's while Firing Canuck's left and right

48 27.91%
  • Scheming to Create 70,000 Fake Apps?

31 18.02%
  • Wasting Money on F1 Sponsorships and Parties?

8 4.65%
  • Starf*cking with Alicia Keys

27 15.70%
  • None! I still like the guy. It's not his fault!

58 33.72%
11-07-13 04:38 AM
191 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Anybody here heard of Ingvar Kamprad? He's the founder and former CEO of IKEA. It's hard to say how much he's worth, maybe $30 billion, maybe $3 billion, depending on how you count the money he's donated to various foundations in his name. Anyway, IKEA does not own any private jets. Ingvar himself flies COACH and requires his executive team to do the same. Corp jets are an executive perk, everybody knows it. IKEA follows the founders principles about frugality, and Ingvar leads by example.
    I read that more as humility than frugality.
    09-22-13 11:47 PM
    Methinks those that are absolutely appalled at the thought of a corporate jet are also the same that complain endlessly about any app selling for more than $0.99.
    Methinks you are entitled to your opinion, yet I strongly disagree.

Bbry agrees with me.
    09-22-13 11:48 PM
    Exactly what I meant by LEAD by example...especially when in the situation BlackBerry is in. But I guess to some people in this thread, there is no way THOR could do his job without a private jet. Incase nobody has noticed, jet or not, THOR has failed to do his job.

Posted via CB10
    Plus even if it did make business sense and the price is a drop in the bucket to have a company jet, sometimes you have to make company morale based decisions. 25 million might not seem a lot when you're dealing with billions of dollars, but executives having access to such perks while you may not have a job in a couple of weeks wouldn't really inspire you to make great products.
    ray689, h20work and milo53 like this.
    09-22-13 11:50 PM
    I read that more as humility than frugality.
    Makes THOR look even worse since it's not required in that case.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    09-22-13 11:54 PM
    Exactly what I meant by LEAD by example...especially when in the situation BlackBerry is in. But I guess to some people in this thread, there is no way THOR could do his job without a private jet. Incase nobody has noticed, jet or not, THOR has failed to do his job.

Posted via CB10
    I will however admit, there are certain CEO's of some companies for whom a corp jet is more than a perk. I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but rather, a well deserved luxury. The one CEO that comes to mind is Jim Sinegal, I guess former CEO now. He used to constantly visit his Costco stores. On some days he'd visit a half dozen of them located in multiple cities. During his tenure, Jim Sinegal was paid $350,000 salary and I believe his highest bonus was about $2 million. This is the guy who founded and lead Costco, one of the most successful retail outlets in the world. He could have demanded much more in both salary and bonus, but he never did believing that making 10X the average Costco workers' salary was enough for him.

Now, I'm not against corp jets as a matter of principle. If Tim Cook wants one, that's fine, his company is rich and helped make it that way. Google has a fleet of 'em and used to get discounts on fuel from the federal government. If a company is has loads of cash and making plenty of money for both employees and stockholders, then having a corp jet is fine. It's a nice reward for the management team. If a company is struggling though, it's really hard to justify. I'm sure had Costco been struggling during any time during his tenure, Sinegal would have sold his corp jet in a heartbeat. This is a guy who would send his own faxes because he couldn't justify the expense of having a secretary.
    kevinnugent, Berry_Pink and milo53 like this.
    09-23-13 12:18 AM
    Not if they're discussing corporate business, in which case they'd be opening themselves up to people overhearing inside information. There's a reason corporations have private jets to travel and it's not just about luxury.
    yep they discussed how to run a company to the ground and how to screw consumers on those seats
    09-23-13 12:31 AM
    If Heins never flew commercial then no wonder he thought tablets were dead... . Might have given them a heads up as to how everyone else in the world used tech.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    RearViewMirror3 likes this.
    09-23-13 01:28 AM
    It's a case of bad optics. It still strikes me as a reasonable decision, but I get that they didn't think the optics through. I don't know ANY company that does get it right 100% of the time, btw.

What I don't get is how much hatred is being heaped on Heins here. Okay, so it doesn't look great, take notes and move on. What's with the accusations and name-calling? Isn't this community in enough distress over the state of BlackBerry without getting into these pissing matches?

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    Eumaeus, donmateo and vbittersweet like this.
    09-23-13 01:47 AM
    they can only splurge for wrong reasons and for core survival of company ,doing nothing
    09-23-13 01:56 AM
    they are least concerned about the future of bb
    09-23-13 02:01 AM
    It's not about that. Bill Gates flew commercial, I think his company was slightly more important no?

It's about showing solidarity and respect for your crew, who you are in the process of firing.

The man is awful. It's a truly grotesque way to behave, and the board is really starting to look like they were out to lunch on this one.

Posted via CB10
    codehut and milo53 like this.
    09-23-13 02:44 AM
    Very well put.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:47 AM
    WSJ want blackberry to die.
    09-23-13 02:50 AM
    The Galaxy SIII was launched in May 2012 and I can still walk into a phone shop and get it on contract. The Z10 was released in February 2013 and 7 months later it's presence in a phone shop is diminishing rapidly.

Having a corporate jet while your revenue, cash reserves and corporate brand go down the toilet is not smart optics. A little humility goes a long way.
    09-23-13 04:09 AM
    #planesb4people
    #jets4thor
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    09-23-13 05:48 AM
    Maybe it was for storing for all the extra Z10's. Lol
    09-23-13 06:49 AM
    Heins and Co killed Blackberry...,from 45,000 feat...

WSJ- BBRY Corporate Jet Scandal-global-express-interior-580x447.jpeg
    09-23-13 06:59 AM
    #Do4500=OneJet?

This IS a terrible case of optics. But that's a recurring theme. It's another (observed) failure AGAIN.
    Are they entitled to Corporate aircraft? Sure. Given the past - Two Blackberry executives got so drunk they grounded a jet en route from Canada to China | Mail Online - maybe it is ever a good idea.

But to buy a new plane in the middle of a huge restructuring - now far worse than anticipated - just really looks bad. Tone deaf.
    milo53 likes this.
    09-23-13 07:06 AM
    Rupert Murdoch is such a Bolshevik.

Seriously, I didn't realize so many double-wides had broadband these days.
    09-23-13 07:11 AM
    They just figured out they need a bigger jet to run away with all the shareholders money,these guys are sick.Thor from hero to zero.I,ll never forget what you did !!
    09-23-13 07:13 AM
    Falcon too expensive. Bomber is cheaper

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    09-23-13 07:37 AM
    I fly pretty regularly for work. I have seen many business leaders and celebrities on commercial planes. One time I even saw former President George H.W. Bush on a commercial flight.

For a company in BlackBerry's position to be buying planes is ridiculous. How many jobs is that? It is not just the cost of the plane but of its upkeep, operation, and use, which is several million per year. None of this money helps put a phone in a single customer's hand.

I have nothing against buying a plane, if you can afford it. Buying a plane when you can't afford it? That doesn't make much sense.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 08:04 AM
    If Heins never flew commercial then no wonder he thought tablets were dead... . Might have given them a heads up as to how everyone else in the world used tech.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    This is actually a good point!

BlackBerry sells itself as making the life of the road warrior easier and more productive. Try using a BlackBerry to draft a letter on an airplane or on a stopover. This kind if experience lets you know how good your products really are.

You wouldn't know any of this from the comfort of a private plane.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 08:09 AM
    Well if you're going to sell a company that isn't doing all that well, you need to get rid of excess, and in this case it is employees and yes, planes. At this point in the game the planes won't help BB make any money, so they are just a liability for a potential buyer.

But I feel the issue with BB's executive team is self-entitlement. These guys feel they are "entitled" to all the goodies that such jobs are supposed to bring you. You saw that with Jack Welch when he retired from GE, the company was tanking and he was no longer an employee, but still had access to the company jets and company limousines. So when you want to keep a certain lifestyle you feel you are entitled to, you make bad decisions. Buying planes when you are firing thousands of people is a bad decision, doesn't matter if you feel that BB10 had a chance. It's a horrible message to send to employees, maybe BB should hire a few more corporate psychologists.
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    09-23-13 08:52 AM
    But I feel the issue with BB's executive team is self-entitlement. These guys feel they are "entitled" to all the goodies that such jobs are supposed to bring you. You saw that with Jack Welch when he retired from GE, the company was tanking and he was no longer an employee, but still had access to the company jets and company limousines. So when you want to keep a certain lifestyle you feel you are entitled to, you make bad decisions. Buying planes when you are firing thousands of people is a bad decision, doesn't matter if you feel that BB10 had a chance. It's a horrible message to send to employees, maybe BB should hire a few more corporate psychologists.
    +1000!!!

There's nothing wrong with a corporate jet per se... If you're Apple or HP for example, and need to fly a handful engineers to Shenzen on a regular basis, to smooth out some production issues.

Or if you're visiting a dozen of your stores in a day. It can save a lot of time and money, not just because its faster than taking United, but also cause you can use smaller airports closer to where you need to go.

But NOT when the company is about to fire almost half it's staff. There isn't a guy at BBRY, who hasn't seen one of his friends fired, who wouldn't think "F***ing Heinz and the BoD... I wonder how many people could have kept their job, for the price of that one plane!" When he hears that story.
    09-23-13 09:03 AM
191 ... 34567 ...