View Poll Results: Heins' Grossest Violation of Trust was:

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying Jet's while Firing Canuck's left and right

48 27.91%
  • Scheming to Create 70,000 Fake Apps?

31 18.02%
  • Wasting Money on F1 Sponsorships and Parties?

8 4.65%
  • Starf*cking with Alicia Keys

27 15.70%
  • None! I still like the guy. It's not his fault!

58 33.72%
11-07-13 05:38 AM
191 12345 ...
tools
    All the more reason why this move is a slap in the face of the 40% of their workforce that they let go.
    How do you not see that?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry can do no wrong in some people's mind
    09-22-13 10:40 PM
    Obvious you've never chartered a flight. Changing your flight plan on a corporate owned plane or a charter is the same.
    I am aware, but if for whatever reason the coordination does not work and the jet is unavailable for the adjusted travel time, it can be detrimental. Don't you think that if charter was 100% reliable, more people would be using it?

Also....

Average Jet Charter Rates (Per Hour)

Gulfstream 550: $8,640

Global Express/XRS: $8,045

Falcon 7X: $7,865

Falcon 900: $6,075

Gulfstream IV: $5,884

Challenger 604: $5,053

Citation X: $4,533

Hawker 800: $3,582

Citation Excel/XLS: $3,388

Learjet 60: $3,347

Citation Mustang $1,674

-Cost to charter a Gulfstream V for a weekend trip from New York City to San Francisco: $106,711.17
    (Friday evening to Sunday evening, all costs including helicopter transportation to and from airport, two full-time captains, a flight attendant, crew per diems, landing, ramp, parking, fuel surcharge, taxes, etc)

-Bombardiers Global 8000, one of the longest range private jets on the market, can go 7,900 nautical miles on a single tank of gas, flying at Mach 0.85 with 8 passengers. With a fuel capacity of 48,950 lbs, it costs approximately $53,000 to fill the tank.

-In order to charter a Gulfstream 550 for a single hour, youd need to work 1,192 hours at the Federal minimum wage of $7.25.

Thirty Amazing Facts About Private Jets - Forbes

It seems awfully expensive to charter, too, when you could simply have your own.
    milo53 and BerryWizard like this.
    09-22-13 10:41 PM
    All the more reason why this move is a slap in the face of the 40% of their workforce that they let go.
    How do you not see that?

Posted via CB10
    Slap in the face of everyone, sickening..

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    09-22-13 10:41 PM
    How do you not see that?

Posted via CB10
    I've explained the reasoning. Just because you chose not to acknowledge how a business functions, does not make me "blind" to the situation.
    09-22-13 10:42 PM
    I am aware, but if for whatever reason the coordination does not work and the jet is unavailable for the adjusted travel time, it can be detrimental. Don't you think that if charter was 100% reliable, more people would be using it?

Also....

Average Jet Charter Rates (Per Hour)

Gulfstream 550: $8,640

Global Express/XRS: $8,045

Falcon 7X: $7,865

Falcon 900: $6,075

Gulfstream IV: $5,884

Challenger 604: $5,053

Citation X: $4,533

Hawker 800: $3,582

Citation Excel/XLS: $3,388

Learjet 60: $3,347

Citation Mustang $1,674

-Cost to charter a Gulfstream V for a weekend trip from New York City to San Francisco: $106,711.17
    (Friday evening to Sunday evening, all costs including helicopter transportation to and from airport, two full-time captains, a flight attendant, crew per diems, landing, ramp, parking, fuel surcharge, taxes, etc)

-Bombardier’s Global 8000, one of the longest range private jets on the market, can go 7,900 nautical miles on a single tank of gas, flying at Mach 0.85 with 8 passengers. With a fuel capacity of 48,950 lbs, it costs approximately $53,000 to fill the tank.

-In order to charter a Gulfstream 550 for a single hour, you’d need to work 1,192 hours at the Federal minimum wage of $7.25.

Thirty Amazing Facts About Private Jets - Forbes

It seems awfully expensive to charter, too, when you could simply have your own.
    Would you like to know how many hours bbry's jets spent in the air?

You are pulling random "facts" while ignoring the big picture. The used jet was $25m , not counting the other 2 they still own.

Please keep making excuses, it's funny
    09-22-13 10:48 PM
    The very jet they bought costs $10k PER HOUR to charter. A flight to Malaysia is around a 20hr flight. $200k ONE WAY to Malaysia FOR ONE TRIP. $400k there and back FOR ONE TRIP assuming no other costs. Yes, I am pointing out useless facts if that helps you sleep at night.
    09-22-13 10:53 PM
    The very jet they bought costs $10k PER HOUR to charter. A flight to Malaysia is around a 20hr flight. $200k ONE WAY to Malaysia FOR ONE TRIP. $400k there and back FOR ONE TRIP assuming no other costs. Yes, I am pointing out useless facts if that helps you sleep at night.
    Useless facts none the less, they laid off 40% of their work force (needed or not) but blew 25, 000, 000 on a Jet. Guess someone thought bb10 would take off.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 10:56 PM
    The jet never went to Malaysia. Fact.
    ray689, xBURK, eldricho and 1 others like this.
    09-22-13 10:57 PM
    I've explained the reasoning. Just because you chose not to acknowledge how a business functions, does not make me "blind" to the situation.
    I fully understand how business operates and in most cases is the owner and leader who leads by example when cost cutting is required. In this case, THOR isn't the owner and is rather spending the owners' (shareholders) money because he has nothing to lose.
    A true leader would operate as lean as possible himself.
    How many CEO's out there have taken a $1 dollar salary and let their actions and results speak for themselves? But I guess Steve Jobs doesn't know business either since he was one of them.
    Give your head a shake man.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 and h20work like this.
    09-22-13 10:59 PM
    I fully understand how business operates and in most cases is the owner and leader who leads by example when cost cutting is required. In this case, THOR isn't the owner and is rather spending the owners' (shareholders) money because he has nothing to lose.
    A true leader would operate as lean as possible himself.
    This is true. He should be leading by example now more than ever.
    h20work and milo53 like this.
    09-22-13 11:05 PM
    so they bought a jet and knew the layoffs were coming? I understand the need for the jet.. but what about priorities?
    h20work, xBURK and Mack Gans like this.
    09-22-13 11:06 PM
    Wow layoffs but spend on jets??

Posted via CB10
    do the math, lets figure the average employee at BlackBerry makes $60k a year multiply that by the 4500 and you have $270 million saved, compared to the cost of a jet where they paid maybe $25 million. come on people the cost to pay 4500 people is way more then a jet that is used to conduct business globally
    donmateo and BerryWizard like this.
    09-22-13 11:12 PM
    so they bought a jet and knew the layoffs were coming? I understand the need for the jet.. but what about priorities?
    They still had two jets left when they bought this one.
    09-22-13 11:12 PM
    do the math, lets figure the average employee at BlackBerry makes $60k a year multiply that by the 4500 and you have $270 million saved, compared to the cost of a jet where they paid maybe $25 million. come on people the cost to pay 4500 people is way more then a jet that is used to conduct business globally
    The purchase price isn't the only cost with owning a plane, let alone 3 of them. Maintenance, fuel, pilot salaries, etc. Needless expense for a company that is downsizing. Glad they finally realized that.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-22-13 11:15 PM
    I was under the impression they only had one when Thorsten took office. He looked like a hero when he got rid of it. Wasn't aware they were still operating two.

(Edited cause h20 beat me to it. Sorry Ray!)
    h20work and ray689 like this.
    09-22-13 11:15 PM
    The purchase price isn't the only cost with owning a plane, let alone 3 of them. Maintenance, fuel, pilot salaries, etc. Needless expense for a company that is downsizing. Glad they finally realized that.
    i get this, but this doesn't total even close to the annual cost that 4500 employees do, and this really is an expense that is justtified. my guesstimate is its about 5 million to run the jet annually and honestly i do believe thats on the high side, which is pocket change for a corperation of BlackBerry's size
    09-22-13 11:23 PM
    It just looks bad, does Thor get to take the Jet with him to Bavaria along with his 55mil? I think the BOD should be in prison.
    09-22-13 11:30 PM
    i get this, but this doesn't total even close to the annual cost that 4500 employees do, and this really is an expense that is justtified. my guesstimate is its about 5 million to run the jet annually and honestly i do believe thats on the high side, which is pocket change for a corperation of BlackBerry's size
    They have 3 jets now, just like last year when they said "we are selling our jet to cut costs".

A corporate jet is a luxury, if times were good I'd have no problem with it.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-22-13 11:34 PM
    Let's not twist this like it's some vacation jet for TH. That's irrational and unreasonable to say things like that. It's a CORPORATE JET for a reason.
    You don't get it do you?
    09-22-13 11:35 PM
    I was under the impression they only had one when Thorsten took office. He looked like a hero when he got rid of it. Wasn't aware they were still operating two.

(Edited cause h20 beat me to it. Sorry Ray!)
    Half truth again, I call it speaking playbookese. Technically they sold "the jet", they just left out the part where they still had 2 left.
    09-22-13 11:36 PM
    Poll After you read this from the Wall Street Journal:

BlackBerry Bought Corporate Jet in July
    Smartphone Maker Acquired Used Plane as Losses, Job Cuts Loomed

By WILL CONNORS And MARK MAREMONT CONNECT

WATERLOO, OntarioCanadian smartphone maker BlackBerry Ltd., BB.T -16.08% which on Friday said it was set to post a loss of almost $1 billion for the quarter ended Aug. 31 and slash 40% of its workforce, only two months ago added a larger plane to its corporate-jet fleet.

The company purchased a 2006 Bombardier BBD.B.T -0.63% Global Express in July, according to Canadian aircraft-registry records. Although the price it paid for the jet couldn't be learned, similar planes are listed for sale for about $25 million to $29 million on a used-aircraft marketing website.

Less than a year ago, beset by slumping sales, BlackBerry sold one of its three corporate jets to cut costs. The sale left it with two Dassault Falcon jets that it had purchased several years earlier.

BlackBerry said Sunday that it acquired the used Global Express in July, but added that it now plans to sell its entire corporate-jet fleet due to its current financial straits.

"Earlier this year the company decided to sell both [Dassault] planes and replace them with one longer-range aircraft," company spokesman Adam Emery said in a statement. "The company considered several options and selected a used Bombardier aircraft, which was eventually delivered in July," he said.

Social-media posts indicate the older Dassault jets were spotted in Europe as recently as early this month, including on a flight to Marseille, France.

Mr. Emery said he wasn't sure when the two older jets were last used, but said he didn't "believe they have been flown since we took delivery of the newer used jet."

The new business jet, manufactured by Bombardier Inc. of Canada, is considerably larger than the jet BlackBerry sold last year, and can fly from New York to Tokyo without refueling.

"In light of the company's current business condition," Mr. Emery said, "the company has decided to sell that aircraft along with the two legacy aircraft and will no longer own any planes."

BlackBerry also said Friday that it would seek to cut operating costs by 50% after sales of its latest line of phones flopped. The company will write down nearly $1 billion in unsold phone inventory in the latest quarter.
    I just puked in my mouth.
    09-22-13 11:39 PM
    It just looks bad, does Thor get to take the Jet with him to Bavaria along with his 55mil? I think the BOD should be in prison.
    LMAO i have nothing to say to this ****
    09-22-13 11:41 PM
    I saw a piece of video recently that showed Heins being delivered to work in a chauffeur driven car. The driver then got out and helped him into his suit jacket and smoothed the shoulders before Heins walked away.

Seeing that it was really clear to me what one of the problems with this company is.
    okay....so what would the media say about the ceo of this compny if he was driving a honda?.....
    09-22-13 11:49 PM
    okay....so what would the media say about the ceo of this compny if he was driving a honda?.....
    Most likely that he's proving a point. Conspicuous consumption in front of your employees creates bad morale.

If Thor believed he could fix things, he would have done the "pay me a buck salary" and agreed to be compensated on results.
    ray689 likes this.
    09-23-13 12:01 AM
    That's taking it to the extreme. I would expect to see him travel first class at the least. Take it down a notch.
    my manager's position is "director, customer service, eastern region, canada" . he has 700 people like me to managed. we are world wide 200 000 plus employees in this company. he uses one of the jets of the company at least once per two weeks. now tell me, you expect the guy who is managing 8 000 people and a company worth over 5 billions to sit in a commercial plan like ME??? even i had the opportunity to use this jet because like in an example mentioned before , we had a presentation to discussed during the flight and it couldn't be heard by anyone else outside of the corporation. this is plain ridiculous! to claim that having access to the right tools to make his job is a waste of money means that you have no idea how big corporations work.
    09-23-13 12:02 AM
191 12345 ...