View Poll Results: Heins' Grossest Violation of Trust was:

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying Jet's while Firing Canuck's left and right

48 27.91%
  • Scheming to Create 70,000 Fake Apps?

31 18.02%
  • Wasting Money on F1 Sponsorships and Parties?

8 4.65%
  • Starf*cking with Alicia Keys

27 15.70%
  • None! I still like the guy. It's not his fault!

58 33.72%
11-07-13 04:38 AM
191 1234 ...
tools
    Plus it was a used 2006 model.
    Cash for Clunkers
    09-22-13 08:15 PM
    For what it's worth, if they just purchased the jet 2 months ago, it really makes you question all those who claim BlackBerry is dead or dying. Seems silly to buy a jet, unveil new products and post financials if you plan to die. But that's just my opinion.
    Firing thousands of employees seems even sillier.
    09-22-13 08:17 PM
    BlackBerry Buys Private Jet - Business Insider

Looks like they are selling all their planes now. Read the last paragraph of the article above. Wow, they listen to Crackberry fast.

Posted via CB10
    Sickening.
    09-22-13 08:26 PM
    lol @ Z10s on a plane

Seriously, do people expect TH to McDonalds for dollar menu lunches? Who really expects the executive management to run a company like it's going broke? You expect to see Heins on the city bus next?
    09-22-13 08:27 PM
    Who really expects the executive management to run a company like it's going broke? You expect to see Heins on the city bus next?
    That's taking it to the extreme. I would expect to see him travel first class at the least. Take it down a notch.
    bekkay, ray689, eldricho and 1 others like this.
    09-22-13 08:35 PM
    Who cares? Ok, I'll play along.

Thousands of families in Waterloo care. Thousands of shareholders care. Journalists with deadlines care. Thousands (if not millions) of current and would be consumers care.

On another note, the WSJ has got this on lock.
    Okay, I'm a shareholder, and I don't particularly care about this. If they bought one used jet to replace two smaller ones, good on them. Means lower maintenance costs.

There's all kinds of business and security justifications for executives in a company with global reach to have a corporate jet.

I sympathize with the workers who stand to be laid off, and I appreciate that this is going to have a big impact. The company is changing its business and its technology, and this stood to happen sooner or later. Would it be better for these positions to be maintained at the cost of the entire company's survival?

Heins needs to go now, I'll agree with that. He's got a great engineering and operations background, and that was needed during the development of BB10. But he clearly doesn't have a grasp of what's needed to actually market the product. But I don't think we have to resort to trumping up arguably reasonable business decisions and name-calling.
    09-22-13 08:37 PM
    That's taking it to the extreme. I would expect to see him travel first class at the least. Take it down a notch.
    At the same time, it's his prerogative. If stockholders allow the top management to splurge when the company is going under, it's entirely their fault. Or should I say their decision, and not for us to judge.
    milo53 and cckgz4 like this.
    09-22-13 08:37 PM
    Wow layoffs but spend on jets??

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 08:56 PM
    Firing thousands of employees seems even sillier.
    Yeah I bet...real silly, let's keep posting negative earnings by not laying off employees that were overhired. Your logic has no base in this scenario or any. It's ridiculous to hire people simply to hire them and keep them on when you don't need them. More so when your business is suffering so much. Expenditures need to be cut, why is this hard to understand? BB does not need 7500 employees as it is now or as its lean size either.
    kbz1960 and David in Durham like this.
    09-22-13 08:58 PM
    If stockholders allow the top management to splurge when the company is going under, it's entirely their fault. Or should I say their decision, and not for us to judge.
    Um, yes it is actually. There's the human element. You don't put over 4500 people out of work, announce a billion dollar loss then take a trip on a luxurious private jet. It doesn't compute.
    ray689, milo53, bekkay and 2 others like this.
    09-22-13 09:06 PM
    Um, yes it is actually. There's the human element. You don't put over 4500 people out of work, announce a billion dollar loss then take a trip on a luxurious private jet. It doesn't compute.
    Let's not twist this like it's some vacation jet for TH. That's irrational and unreasonable to say things like that. It's a CORPORATE JET for a reason.
    BerryWizard and kbz1960 like this.
    09-22-13 09:09 PM
    Let's not twist this like it's some vacation jet for TH. That's irrational and unreasonable to say things like that. It's a CORPORATE JET for a reason.
    I get what you're selling Don but I'm not buying it.
    09-22-13 09:13 PM
    Yeah I bet...real silly, let's keep posting negative earnings by not laying off employees that were overhired. Your logic has no base in this scenario or any. It's ridiculous to hire people simply to hire them and keep them on when you don't need them. More so when your business is suffering so much. Expenditures need to be cut, why is this hard to understand? BB does not need 7500 employees as it is now or as its lean size either.
    But it needs a new private jet ??

Posted via CB10
    bekkay and Berry_Pink like this.
    09-22-13 09:14 PM
    I get what you're selling Don but I'm not buying it.
    Then I suppose we can agree to disagree. I just don't understand why everyone complains about BB spending when they are OVERemployed and wasting money on salaries of people they don't need, but purchasing a business tool is wasteful. I feel for the employees, honest, but there comes a point when a business needs to cut costs to survive otherwise NOBODY has a job. That's my stance anyways, but I approach it from a business standpoint and apparently many members here think that makes me an insensitive POS. So be it.
    09-22-13 09:16 PM
    But it needs a new private jet ??

Posted via CB10
    I take it you haven't read the rest of the thread where this has been explained. Or the post you actually quoted. It's very simply business. Spend on what needs spending, cut the rest. If BB needs a new jet, and with their global expansion and attempts to penetrate many new markets, it seems they do, I find that to be money better spent than 4500 employees that BlackBerry hasn't needed since 2008.
    09-22-13 09:18 PM
    I take it you haven't read the rest of the thread where this has been explained. Or the post you actually quoted. It's very simply business. Spend on what needs spending, cut the rest. If BB needs a new jet, and with their global expansion and attempts to penetrate many new markets, it seems they do, I find that to be money better spent than 4500 employees that BlackBerry hasn't needed since 2008.
    Apparently they're selling the jets because they don't need them that bad.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 09:19 PM
    Apparently they're selling the jets because they don't need them that bad.

Posted via CB10
    Is it? Or is it because there are so many irrational people in the media and populous making outlandish and slanderous claims because of a business expense of theirs? Selling them appeases these irrational people who seem to steer the media.
    BerryWizard and BBPandy like this.
    09-22-13 09:20 PM
    Is it? Or is it because there are so many irrational people in the media and populous making outlandish and slanderous claims because of a business expense of theirs? Selling them appeases these irrational people who seem to steer the media.
    Or it appeases their dwindling money supply

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 09:23 PM
    OK, I know one of the corporate pilots. Several people can back me me up on that. Yes, they will be out of a job soon, like all the other employees (former) I know.

No one expects the execs to walk to work, take a bus, fly southwest, etc., but be realistic. Part of their "plan" was to cut costs. They fired 5000+ employees, then more after that, and now another 40% reduction. It's a slap on the face to the current and former employees to spend $25m on a jet.

To those excusing it, you've obviously never heard of charter flights
    ray689, xBURK, bekkay and 6 others like this.
    09-22-13 09:23 PM
    Or it appeases their dwindling money supply

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure that they were completely unaware of their financial situation in July...but now it's a completely different story.
    09-22-13 09:25 PM
    OK, I know one of the corporate pilots. Several people can back me me up on that. Yes, they will be out of a job soon, like all the other employees (former) I know.

No one expects the execs to walk to work, take a bus, fly southwest, etc., but be realistic. Part of their "plan" was to cut costs. They fired 5000+ employees, then more after that, and now another 40% reduction. It's a slap on the face to the current and former employees to spend $25m on a jet.

To those excusing it, you've obviously never heard of charter flights
    A charter flight is great...until you need to make last minute addendums to travel plans and they can't accomodate. A bit up the creek without a paddle if you have a deadline. Then Crackberry could be up in arms because TH delayed a release due to travel delays and everyone could angrily ask why they don't have a jet. That seems to be on par with the logic of the majority here.
    09-22-13 09:27 PM
    I'm sure that they were completely unaware of their financial situation in July...but now it's a completely different story.
    You can't be serious

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 09:28 PM
    A charter flight is great...until you need to make last minute addendums to travel plans and they can't accomodate. A bit up the creek without a paddle if you have a deadline. Then Crackberry could be up in arms because TH delayed a release due to travel delays and everyone could angrily ask why they don't have a jet. That seems to be on par with the logic of the majority here.
    Obvious you've never chartered a flight. Changing your flight plan on a corporate owned plane or a charter is the same.
    cckgz4 and Pete The Penguin like this.
    09-22-13 09:30 PM
    And even with the new jet, Thor didn't show up to the last launch.
    xBURK, cckgz4 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-22-13 09:31 PM
    All the more reason why this move is a slap in the face of the 40% of their workforce that they let go.
    How do you not see that?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 09:33 PM
191 1234 ...