03-20-15 01:03 PM
210 ... 6789
tools
    Different strokes for different folks. I've used them all as well. I was actually a Windows Phone 7 user for a couple years and quite enjoyed it. When their app store couldn't keep pace, I switched to Android and found that's the most intuitive for me.

Good to hear you've found something that works for you. BB10 is certainly a capable OS but the longer it doesn't have a viable ecosystem, the less it has a chance at survival.
    now win8 has all the apps i use.
    - Spotify
    - my fitness pal
    - shazam
    - instagram
    - xbox one smart glass
    - onenote
    - netlfix (no i don't view it on my phone but i have a tv that is not smart and doesn't have an xbox connected to it)
    - vine
    - Snap6 (much better than snap10/snap2chat and actually headless compared to the android snapchat)
    - 6tin (headless tinder)
    - tons of good pushbullet/feedly clients to pick from
    - chive + 3rd party chive apps
    - better reddit clients plus reddit itself
    - untapped
    - here maps
    - amazing calendar apps

They even have a unified inbox(HUB), they are just missing physical keyboard which i need for my sausage fingers haha.
    03-18-15 09:54 AM
    I think they should make two versions of BlackBerry with bb10 and android.. just like what htc did with m8 windows phone version..

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:00 AM
    I think they should make two versions of BlackBerry with bb10 and android.. just like what htc did with m8 windows phone version..

Posted via CB10
    If they can skin it like BB10, then they should just do it if they can afford it. If Chen is serious about staying in HW (this is debatable) then this is probably his next logical move. Remove the Android RT from BB10 and offer those devices solely to highly security conscious companies that only care about encrypted email/messaging/phone calls. The Android equivalents can be sold to consumers. At the end of the day BlackBerry needs to win back mind share. This may be the only way forward for them in HW. And the other advantage with this approach is they have a lot more vendors available that they can contract out their HW to. Samsung is the most logical one that comes to mind.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-18-15 10:30 AM
    That graph doesn't help much at all in this discussion. How much of that shown revenue was from BBOS devices? Ya know, the devices that were outselling BB10 devices by a fairly healthy margin until only recently. The vast majority of the revenue you speak of probably came from the millions of legacy devices BlackBerry was still selling.

For example, none of the revenue in Q1 2013 came from BB10.

Also, revenue doesn't equal profit. How much hardware revenue did they make off of half priced, almost zero margin, dust-covered Z10s? I can't imagine it was enough to make the Z10 a profitable device for them.
    OK. Went and pulled the actual data from the reports. Looks like that bar graph is errored and the Q1 2013 is really BlackBerry Q1 2014, and Q2 2013 is really BlackBerry Q2 2014, all of which aren't the actual date quarters. Looks like they confused actual quarters with the BlackBerry Quarters in the first so first to should be labeled Q1 2014 and Q2 2014, which translates to actual below.

BlackBerry Q3 2013 which was quarter prior to BB10 launch and actual Q4 2012, BlackBerry hardware revenue was $480 Million dollars on sales of 1.9 Million BBOS devices.

BlackBerry Q4 2013, which is actually Q1 2013 and the BB10 launch, BlackBerry sold 1 Million BB10 phones with the launch occurring mid quarter, and 5 Million BBOS phones. Hardware Revenue was approx $1.64 Billion.

BlackBerry Q1 2014 which is actually Q2 2013, 2.72 Million BB10 devices sold which was 40% of total device sales. BBOS Sales were 4.08 Million devices. Hardware Revenue was $1.29 Billion.

BlackBerry Q2 2014 which is actual Q3 2013, Billion dollar write down ($934 Million) to reposition the Z10 as entry level device and to cover inventory supply and commitments (so they made too many and had commitments to make too many more). $1.6 Billion in total revenue, $784 Million for hardware. 5.9 Million in devices sold through, but only realizing revenue on 3.7 Million, 2.7 Million were BB10.

Accounting changes on how revenue is realized on hardware being only devices activated.

BlackBerry Q3 2014 which is Actual Q4 2013 For sale sign up, Chen installed. Hardware revenue was $480 Million on 3.2 Million BBOS and 1.1 Million BB10 devices.

BlackBerry Q4 2014 which is actual Q1 2014 Hardware Revenue $361 Million. 2.3 Million BBOS and 1.1 Million BB10

BlackBerry Q1 2015 which is actual Q2 2014 Hardware Revenue $377 Million. 1.7 Million BB10 and 960k BBOS.

BlackBerry Q2 2015 which is actual Q3 2014 Hardware Revenue $421 Million. 2.4 Million phones sold. Can't find clear breakdown. Some say over 1 Million BB10, and some say 1.6 Million BB10.

BlackBerry Q3 2015 which is Q4 2014 Actual hardware Revenue $364 Million. 2 Million phones sold. Having difficulty finding the breakdown numbers.

With accounting changes and everything it is hard to compare BlackBerry device revenue with BBOS, but when the accounting was the same, BB10 did provide a jolt when they could sell the Z10 for the $500+ price. Also lots of crap in the supply chains etc. that muddle up the numbers too. Add in Core costs etc and Blackberry has been doing a lot of mopping up since Chen took over. Hopefully these upcoming numbers will shed some more light on to whether they are realizing improvements in BB10 or not as it appears like last quarter they got most of the CORE program and hardware cleanups out of the way.
    03-18-15 01:46 PM
    It's all about cleaning the fat out of the company. They need to market BB10 and gain Carrier support. Something Chen said he will concentrate on for 2015.
    BB10 is more than capable, it's simply the only complete OS. If I require an App that's not available on BBW, then I download and install the Android version. Problem Solved.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 02:41 PM
    It's all about cleaning the fat out of the company. They need to market BB10 and gain Carrier support. Something Chen said he will concentrate on for 2015.
    BB10 is more than capable, it's simply the only complete OS. If I require an App that's not available on BBW, then I download and install the Android version. Problem Solved.

Posted via CB10
    "only complete os" is an exageration in my opinion. The android runtime didn't come out of BB's generosity, but from it's "desperation" to get apps on the platform.
    03-18-15 05:10 PM
    "only complete os" is an exageration in my opinion. The android runtime didn't come out of BB's generosity, but from it's "desperation" to get apps on the platform.
    Do you know how and when they decided to introduce the Android Run Time? To allow Android Apps. This is not just a plain old Emulator. This is capable of running Android Apps in a much more efficient manner versus a actual Android OS.

There was a great article explaining this on N4BB years before we even knew BB10 had features we know of today. Probably sometime in 2010 or something.

This article explained the Engineering Genius on how they got Android Apps to work on BB10. See iOS for example is incapable of doing such a thing.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 06:06 PM
    Do you know how and when they decided to introduce the Android Run Time? To allow Android Apps. This is not just a plain old Emulator. This is capable of running Android Apps in a much more efficient manner versus a actual Android OS.

There was a great article explaining this on N4BB years before we even knew BB10 had features we know of today. Probably sometime in 2010 or something.

This article explained the Engineering Genius on how they got Android Apps to work on BB10. See iOS for example is incapable of doing such a thing.

Posted via CB10
    Your posts are hilarious. Not sure if that's what you're going for or not, but they truly give me a good laugh.

To answer one of your questions, I know when they decided to allow Android apps on BB10. It was months after Jolla Sailfish done it first. Sailfish OS was running Android apps back when BB10 could only run BlackBerry bar files. Not only did Sailfish OS run Android apps first, it also does it far better than BB10 will. Sailfish OS can even use all of Google's own apps and root-only apps. In my opinion, after having used both, BB10's Android runtime is far behind what Sailfish has.
    mornhavon and JeepBB like this.
    03-18-15 06:25 PM
    Wasn't that the "better Android than Android" argument that has been ridiculed ever since? I don't think anyone in recent years still makes that claim.

See iOS for example is incapable of doing such a thing.
    If Apple wanted to support Android apps, and were willing to spend some time on it and increase the RAM in their devices, I don't think iOS would inherently stop them from doing so. However, Apple would likely spend far more time & resources to keep Android apps OFF of their devices.
    Last edited by mornhavon; 03-18-15 at 07:12 PM.
    03-18-15 06:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry can do as much SW wizardry as they want. But one thing SW fixes can't make better is inadequate HW. The Android RT needs good HW to run. Android apps on my Z30 do NOT run better than on an Android device. BlackBerry needs to get their sh!t together. Either release HW that can do what the SW is designed for, or just get out of the HW business entirely because they are wasting their time otherwise. This really is not hard, yet these people keep shooting themselves in the foot over and over. They just don't get it.
    MarsupilamiX and eyesopen1111 like this.
    03-18-15 06:39 PM
    Your posts are hilarious. Not sure if that's what you're going for or not, but they truly give me a good laugh.

To answer one of your questions, I know when they decided to allow Android apps on BB10. It was months after Jolla Sailfish done it first. Sailfish OS was running Android apps back when BB10 could only run BlackBerry bar files. Not only did Sailfish OS run Android apps first, it also does it far better than BB10 will. Sailfish OS can even use all of Google's own apps and root-only apps. In my opinion, after having used both, BB10's Android runtime is far behind what Sailfish has.
    I'm going to have to get my hands on a Sailfish. How do you find the OS in general?
    03-18-15 06:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Better Android than Android is back
    03-18-15 06:43 PM
    I'm going to have to get my hands on a Sailfish. How do you find the OS in general?
    I'm overall very happy with it. Like with anything else, it takes time to get used too. The UI and gestures are fun to use, the multitasking is top notch, and any app I use on my Android devices works the same on it.

The one thing I don't like about Sailfish OS is a problem BB10 has as well - almost no customization options.

Having used Sailfish OS makes me regret never picking up a Nokia N9 way back in the day.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-18-15 06:53 PM
    I'm overall very happy with it. Like with anything else, it takes time to get used too. The UI and gestures are fun to use, the multitasking is top notch, and any app I use on my Android devices works the same on it.

The one thing I don't like about Sailfish OS is a problem BB10 has as well - almost no customization options.

Having used Sailfish OS makes me regret never picking up a Nokia N9 way back in the day.
    I'm an old Nokia fan and was eagerly awaiting Meego. I never picked up an N9 either at the time only because it was DOA (thank you Elop).
    Witmen likes this.
    03-18-15 07:04 PM
    I'm an old Nokia fan and was eagerly awaiting Meego. I never picked up an N9 either at the time only because it was DOA (thank you Elop).
    Well Samsung's Tizen is a fork of Meego with a custom UI (designed by the same people who designed BlackBerry 10), so you can still get Meego if you'd like.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-18-15 07:25 PM

I'm happy to make you laugh in a good way I hope.
    Thanks for the info about Sailfish. I've read about that a while back. Though wish I can find that article for you.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 04:11 PM
    Wasn't that the "better Android than Android" argument that has been ridiculed ever since? I don't think anyone in recent years still makes that claim.
    I'm only referring about the past.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 04:13 PM
    Using android runtime allows simultaneous BlackBerry & android apps to run... another way to do it would be dual boot with full android such as cyanogen offerings, but, while running android more fully, would be cumbersome & not in line with the BlackBerry vision of "productivity."
    03-19-15 04:26 PM
    I was at the local mall today and went into Best Buy to look at the phones. Played with working demos of the Note 4 and Note Edge. Wow is all I have to say. The screens on these phones are gorgeous. HW build felt excellent on both. If BB is going to dare enter the Android world they better do it right, because HW is the big differentiator in the Android. And the way BB does HW it will be a differentiator in a bad way. I also played around with a Moto G LTE. What a phone for $150 off contract. Is it any surprise why Android has 80% of the global market locked up?
    03-19-15 06:29 PM
    Good work sells itself...
    03-19-15 06:36 PM
    The Hub won't work on an Android phone. It is quite different from the existing notification api, and all applications would need to be rebuilt to take advantage of a centralized message system. If Google built it into the OS developers would jump on board, but then it would not be a Blackberry exclusive. That just leaves the keyboard and security hardening. The keyboard would be trying to compete with some pretty good third party keyboards such as swype, and Samsung is already getting strengthened by BlackBerry.

BOOM. Only differentiation is maybe a custom skin, which would most likely be a disadvantage as it doesn't mesh with the design of third party, or even Google built apps. Give me a BB10 device, else I will simply sacrifice my Amazon library and go to Windows Phone
    03-19-15 09:28 PM
    The Hub won't work on an Android phone. It is quite different from the existing notification api, and all applications would need to be rebuilt to take advantage of a centralized message system. If Google built it into the OS developers would jump on board, but then it would not be a Blackberry exclusive. That just leaves the keyboard and security hardening. The keyboard would be trying to compete with some pretty good third party keyboards such as swype
    Perhaps you haven't heard? BlackBerry is making the best elements of BB10 available to iOS and Android by the end of 2015.
    03-19-15 10:09 PM
    If they can skin it like BB10, then they should just do it if they can afford it. If Chen is serious about staying in HW (this is debatable) then this is probably his next logical move. Remove the Android RT from BB10 and offer those devices solely to highly security conscious companies that only care about encrypted email/messaging/phone calls. The Android equivalents can be sold to consumers. At the end of the day BlackBerry needs to win back mind share. This may be the only way forward for them in HW. And the other advantage with this approach is they have a lot more vendors available that they can contract out their HW to. Samsung is the most logical one that comes to mind.
    Annnd... we're back to the original post! Hooray. lol

What did I miss?
    03-19-15 10:33 PM
    The Hub won't work on an Android phone. It is quite different from the existing notification api, and all applications would need to be rebuilt to take advantage of a centralized message system. If Google built it into the OS developers would jump on board, but then it would not be a Blackberry exclusive. That just leaves the keyboard and security hardening. The keyboard would be trying to compete with some pretty good third party keyboards such as swype, and Samsung is already getting strengthened by BlackBerry.

BOOM. Only differentiation is maybe a custom skin, which would most likely be a disadvantage as it doesn't mesh with the design of third party, or even Google built apps. Give me a BB10 device, else I will simply sacrifice my Amazon library and go to Windows Phone
    Something like HTC Blinkfeed?
    03-20-15 05:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    It is not efficient. BB10 is not efficient because of the Android runtime. BB10 couldn't run on the PlayBook because the memory requirements are so high to run it. The Processor and GPU in the PlayBook aren't much less powerful than those in the Z10, it is all a matter of memory. Android can run on 512MB of Ram and still work fine. IOS can run on 1GB of RAM. Windows phone is low too. BB10 requires 1.5 GB minimum, and that is running in a degraded manor of 4 apps max open at any time.

I'm interested in this QNX Hypervisor and to see if it makes it to BB10, but the existing Android runtime is and always has been a kluge all the way back to the PlayBook, and Google is making it less and less relevant by convincing devs to incorporate Google Play services and switching over to ART and phasing out the Dalvik based engine.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Witmen like this.
    03-20-15 07:43 AM
210 ... 6789