03-20-15 02:03 PM
210 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Is it possible that we are looking at this backwards? Instead of Blackberry making an android phone, what if Samsung decided to make an android phone with Blackberry's UI? Blackberry could keep their phones secure, and Samsung could have use of blackberry's UI. Samsung has name recognition and enough money to put behind it. This probably won't happen, but it is something to think about.
    Yes, they could try but i wouldn't bet on it. Why? Brand recognition. When you look at the home screen of a samsung phone, you will recognize the home screen design as a samsung phone (the dreaded touchwiz interface). They even put the same interface on their tizen phone. I don't think samsung would change their phone interface to something so drastic as a BB UI. It would drive consumers ways.
    03-12-15 10:12 AM

Awesome! Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    03-12-15 10:22 AM
    Is it possible that we are looking at this backwards? Instead of Blackberry making an android phone, what if Samsung decided to make an android phone with Blackberry's UI? Blackberry could keep their phones secure, and Samsung could have use of blackberry's UI. Samsung has name recognition and enough money to put behind it. This probably won't happen, but it is something to think about.
    Samsung already hired the people who designed BlackBerry 10,

http://www.toppstudio.com/cases/tizen/

And they have already launched the UI that they designed.

The only reason Samsung wants anything to do with BlackBerry is for help with securing KNOX.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-12-15 11:45 AM
    Samsung already hired the people who designed BlackBerry 10,

http://www.toppstudio.com/cases/tizen/

And they have already launched the UI that they designed.

The only reason Samsung wants anything to do with BlackBerry is for help with securing KNOX.

Posted via CB10
    Very interesting. I'd only add that the areas of BlackBerry/Samsung collaboration seem to extend at least to the curve screen slider phone that BlackBerry teased at MWC, plus Knox, plus goodness knows what else. Samsung is definitely good news as a hardware partner...
    Dougie011 likes this.
    03-12-15 03:11 PM
    People don't like Android because its UI has been inferior in terms of consistency and organization. If BlackBerry can fix that then it's still a BlackBerry device in my mind.

Posted via CB10
    Have you seen Lollipop? I've been as hard on Android as anybody for their crap UI, but they've lately nailed it down.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-12-15 06:54 PM
    Have you seen Lollipop? I've been as hard on Android as anybody for their crap UI, but they've lately nailed it down.

Very true, material design is the new flat. They are dumbing down the OS making it more intuitive and visual appealing so normal consumers can buy it instead of tech geeks. Very good move by Google
    03-13-15 09:53 AM
    Since my tea leafs tell that in Q3 BlackBerry will announce a Android only device with a keyboard, why would you keep the BB10 devices? For all the 10's of BlackBerry BB10 apps... Maybe the BlackBerry Android device will be the new consumer device and the BB10 will be enterprise only. Which brings up the problem Microsoft had with Windows RT and Windows running on their Surface tablets. With COBO and BYOD being so big in Enterprise how you have another mess to untangle with apps, etc.
    03-13-15 12:18 PM
    Samsung is definitely good news as a hardware partner...
    Foxconn is a hardware partner, Samsung is not. Show the press release with the hardware partnership information with Samsung...
    03-13-15 12:20 PM
    Foxconn is a hardware partner, Samsung is not. Show the press release with the hardware partnership information with Samsung...
    When BlackBerry teases a Slider that has curved-screen hardware like this year's Samsung GS6, there's some kind of partnership going on, right? Though like you, I'd love to have a press conference on it or an expose or something.
    03-13-15 03:02 PM
    Very true, material design is the new flat. They are dumbing down the OS making it more intuitive and visual appealing so normal consumers can buy it instead of tech geeks. Very good move by Google
    I'm not sure what you mean by "dumbing down the OS." It hasn't lost any degree of functionality. In fact, it's gaining all the time. But the UI was always atrocious up until about 4.0 or so. I think with 5.0 they've actually got an attractive product that's fun to use.

03-13-15 10:08 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by "dumbing down the OS." It hasn't lost any degree of functionality. In fact, it's gaining all the time. But the UI was always atrocious up until about 4.0 or so. I think with 5.0 they've actually got an attractive product that's fun to use.

i don't mean feature wise, i mean usability it has been more dumbed down aka consumer friendly. Don't worry man were on the same side.
    03-14-15 12:45 AM
    i don't mean feature wise, i mean usability it has been more dumbed down aka consumer friendly. Don't worry man were on the same side.
    Consumer friendly usability coupled with the option for extreme tinkering is very compelling proposition. Even Coursera courses on mobile and cloud development are now taught through Android API serving as breeding ground for Android app developers.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 01:52 PM
    I prefer the stable QNX microkernal to the android monolithic kernal crashing os. BB10 all the way. Want an android device why not just buy one of the many already out there? Besides, I thought google was the evil enemy everyone was turning away from. Now everyone is in love with google services?
    03-14-15 03:05 PM
    Heh-heh... Remember when CB was full of all those micro kernel threads saying how a QNX based OS could.not.crash!

Those threads mostly disappeared around the time of the Z10 random rebooting issues.
    Haha yes... it's always just a bunch of people making a bunch of assumptions

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 05:38 PM
    Heh-heh... Remember when CB was full of all those micro kernel threads saying how a QNX based OS could.not.crash!

Those threads mostly disappeared around the time of the Z10 random rebooting issues.
    Had nothing to do with QNX. Battery contact issues coupled with a faulty watchdog designed to force a reset. The OS wasn't crashing. Looking from the outside in, hard to tell the difference. All a consumer knows is "my phone just reset itself". They don't care if the battery lost contact, or a watchdog process mistakenly thought the device was too hot and forced a shutdown... to them the "OS" crashed. Never mind that they don't really know what an OS is.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp and TheAuthority like this.
    03-14-15 06:16 PM
    Had nothing to do with QNX. Battery contact issues coupled with a faulty watchdog designed to force a reset. The OS wasn't crashing. Looking from the outside in, hard to tell the difference. All a consumer knows is "my phone just reset itself". They don't care if the battery lost contact, or a watchdog process mistakenly thought the device was too hot and forced a shutdown... to them the "OS" crashed. Never mind that they don't really know what an OS is.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Strange how a software change in a new OS release (10.2?) caused all those batteries to miraculously make better contact isn't it?
    03-14-15 06:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    I just took a peek at a home screen thread over at imore. Those same people who probably don't know what an os is have stuff like "Taco Bell" and "Trivia Crack" on their app grids.This is what people are after?!? How lame! You pretty much have to work in a cube (or be on crack) to think that kind of stuff is exciting. I'm sure it's as lame when it comes to star wars dork android. I'm just glad my BlackBerry doesn't have a "home" button.
    03-14-15 06:22 PM
    I just took a peek at a home screen thread over at imore. Those same people who probably don't know what an os is have stuff like "Taco Bell" and "Trivia Crack" on their app grids.This is what people are after?!? How lame! You pretty much have to work in a cube (or be on crack) to think that kind of stuff is exciting. I'm sure it's as lame when it comes to star wars dork android. I'm just glad my BlackBerry doesn't have a "home" button.
    ... but, if that is what someone is after, what's wrong with that? What if, after a long day at work, one wants to unwind with Trivia Crack?

Have you seen our home screen thread?

Lame, to me, is finding fault with someone for doing something legal on a legally obtained device.

And really, can we make fun of buttons as BBRY enthusiasts? LOL.
    03-14-15 08:46 PM
    Consumer friendly usability coupled with the option for extreme tinkering is very compelling proposition. Even Coursera courses on mobile and cloud development are now taught through Android API serving as breeding ground for Android app developers.

Posted via CB10
    That ability to tinker is my kryptonite. Hard to explain LOL.
    03-14-15 08:48 PM
    Since my tea leafs tell that in Q3 BlackBerry will announce a Android only device with a keyboard, why would you keep the BB10 devices? For all the 10's of BlackBerry BB10 apps... Maybe the BlackBerry Android device will be the new consumer device and the BB10 will be enterprise only. Which brings up the problem Microsoft had with Windows RT and Windows running on their Surface tablets. With COBO and BYOD being so big in Enterprise how you have another mess to untangle with apps, etc.
    I hope not. I would dearly love to keep BBRY far away from Android, but it is a selfish desire.
    03-14-15 08:50 PM
    I just took a peek at a home screen thread over at imore. Those same people who probably don't know what an os is have stuff like "Taco Bell" and "Trivia Crack" on their app grids.This is what people are after?!? How lame!
    Yup, people wanting the most popular game of 2015 is pretty lame. Almost as lame as lambasting another's OS choice to make themselves feel better about their own.
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    03-15-15 12:30 AM
    If recent announcements are any indicator of the future, I guess BlackBerry is working on providing an option to customize the device to your liking without sacrificing security and privacy; very likely, QNX Hypervisor (along with BlackBerry Guardian) will become the foundation that will be "layered" right above the "chip," it will provide the foundation above which they will run Android and let the user run #BB10 suite as part of an independent workspace. It is very likely that Google may itself come on board with this arrangement - John Chen hinted at some agreement being worked out with Google. In my opinion, this will be a win/win situation for all the parties. From this perspective, future BlackBerry devices will very likely be focused on providing a far superior integrated physical keyboard experience - I think, BlackBerry may still put out an all touch devices, but that may not be the norm.

From the above point of view, I think, QNX will be "liberated" and will become the foundation of all things - which resonates with the long term strategy of John Chen.

Not sure if the collective wisdom on this forum agrees with this line of thought.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 12:00 PM
    Ahhh Crackberry!

Talk about anything at all for just a few minutes and the Operating System Inferiority Complex will present itself!

Serious question though...is QNX somewhere on the UNIX family tree? (Like Android and iOS.)

Yes. I could find out myself with eight seconds and a search engine. But I hope someone here WANTS to answer me.

03-15-15 11:14 PM
    Yeah, I've never really understood this obsession with QNX either. It's a bit like looking at a superbly appointed, gorgeous high-end sports car ... and dwelling on neat design of the fuel-injectors. Meh, it's just a kernel. It forms the beating heart of any system, but its not the solution for world hunger!

AFAIK, QNX isn't based on UNIX at all. It's one of a disparate group of "built from the ground up" lightweight kernels intended to be used principally with (hard) realtime systems. I've never used QNX, but I've used VxWorks and LynxOS to do similar tasks in various aerospace'y developments.

They do what they do, and they do it very well, but they're not "sexy"... well, not to me anyway. Maybe I'm just not as much of a propeller-head as I thought? LOL
    03-16-15 05:20 AM
    Yeah, I've never really understood this obsession with QNX either. It's a bit like looking at a superbly appointed, gorgeous high-end sports car ... and dwelling on neat design of the fuel-injectors.

They do what they do, and they do it very well, but they're not "sexy"... well, not to me anyway.
    Amazingly, everyone else on Earth isn't you. Astonishing and hard to believe, I know.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 08:52 AM
210 ... 45678 ...