03-20-15 01:03 PM
210 12345 ...
tools
    Show me where BB lost $1bn on BB10.
    Financial Documents - US
    JeepBB and Donvald like this.
    03-05-15 09:12 PM
    I bought a BlackBerry because I wanted a BlackBerry. I don't want Android.

BLΛCKBΣЯЯY ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    03-05-15 09:32 PM
    I bought a BlackBerry because I wanted a BlackBerry. I don't want Android.

BLΛCKBΣЯЯY ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    And you will still have a BlackBerry.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Donvald likes this.
    03-05-15 11:02 PM
    I use BlackBerry Because I dont like Android, don't like the eco system, don't like the apps
    You dislike an ecosystem that contains 1.2 million titles?

Mkay.
    03-05-15 11:23 PM
    You dislike an ecosystem that contains 1.2 million titles?

Mkay.
    It's an ecosystem full of adware, malware, crap, and a few useful items, all wrapped up a platform dominated by a company that tracks and profiles their users. I think it's understandable that some people won't find it to their liking.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and moosbb like this.
    03-05-15 11:40 PM
    I think it is funny how against this idea BlackBerry 10 die hard fans are.

The OP is talking about BlackBerry making devices that run BB10 and Android. Not either or, yet the BB10 fanboys are sill up in arms about it. Leads me to believe that a lot of people here are afraid of seeing BlackBerry do well with Android after failing so miserably with that mulit-billion dollar mistake that they love so much.

It is pretty crazy, but it seems like a lot of the so called BlackBerry fans would rather watch BlackBerry go out of the hardware business completely than see them be successful with Android.

Me personally, I want BlackBerry to keep making devices. I would buy a BlackBerry Classic today if it weren't for that dead-end OS that is running on it.
    I'm a nexus 6 user and to me this just sounds like a rant against BB10. You really aren't even making an argument here. You're just calling people names and railing against BB10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    LuvULongTime and Dave Bourque like this.
    03-05-15 11:49 PM
    Rather than a BlackBerry skinned android I would prefer BlackBerry optimized as generally I like Lollipop UI. But yes, I like teh idea better than the incomplete runtime. Features from BlackBerry I like to be added to Android
    - more secure
    - hub
    - few UI elements but I think Lollipop wins in this one. But I want a merge of both
    - multitasking window. Android is still clumsy here
    - sharing capabilities
    - file manager. I somehow like this better but don't know why
    - virtual keyboard. Definitely the best.
    - and different devices like Passport

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.1.1581
    03-06-15 12:54 AM

The OP is talking about BlackBerry making devices that run BB10 and Android. Not either or, yet the BB10 fanboys are sill up in arms about it. Leads me to believe that a lot of people here are afraid of seeing BlackBerry do well with Android after failing so miserably with that mulit-billion dollar mistake that they love so much.

It is pretty crazy, but it seems like a lot of the so called BlackBerry fans would rather watch BlackBerry go out of the hardware business completely than see them be successful with Android.

Me personally, I want BlackBerry to keep making devices. I would buy a BlackBerry Classic today if it weren't for that dead-end OS that is running on it.
    If it's no longer BlackBerry with BlackBerry's philosophy / software architecture, but under control by a data-hungry tech empire, why bother?

If it's no longer BlackBerry, it's no longer BlackBerry...
    Own OS, own hardware...

That's what it boils down to. If your business exists to provide an alternative to mainstream market offerings, but you are becoming like your competitors (by adopting their OS / products, i.e. the company as an alternative disappears), the very reason for your existence has evaporated,..

I wouldn't totally object to making a secured Android line of phones, but BB10 (own software!, under full control) is what BlackBerry ***is***, ultimately :-D

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    03-06-15 01:58 AM
    Amen.

If it's no longer BlackBerry with BlackBerry's philosophy / software architecture, but under control by a data-hungry tech empire, why bother?

If it's no longer BlackBerry, it's no longer BlackBerry...
    Own OS, own hardware...

That's what it boils down to. If your business exists to provide an alternative to mainstream market offerings, but you are becoming like your competitors (by adopting their OS / products, i.e. the company as an alternative disappears), the very reason for your existence has evaporated,..

I wouldn't totally object to making a secured Android line of phones, but BB10 (own software!, under full control) is what BlackBerry ***is***, ultimately :-D

•   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   •
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    03-06-15 03:22 AM
    I don't have to be a BlackBerry fanboy to hate Android. From my experience with Android, it sucks period. The Passport changed my mind about BlackBerry and BB10. From my own experience it is far more superior then Android hands down.

If anything, it's you Android fan boys that are causing a ruckus here because you know you have crappy software. You're all in search of something different because your thousands of Android hardware models out there all look the same. Now that the Passport, Classic and Slider phone are revealed I can see the glimmer of jealousy and hatred toward BlackBerry.

03-06-15 03:41 AM
    Is it possible for BlackBerry to create Dual Boot phones? The user can switch from BB10 to Android and vice versa. Look at Onda tablets it lets the user switch between Win 8.1 and Android OS. It would be great if user can choose the OS while booting or switch seemlessly from one OS to another when required.
    03-06-15 04:23 AM
    Android is not a power efficient and slick OS yet. No matter how many versions they brought.
    A better and up to date Android runtime is win win for all BlackBerry 10 users.
    Even if Blackberry comes with Android it may be forked OS without Google Play Services support i guess.
    03-06-15 04:29 AM
    Nice try, but no.

I can play this pointless game too. Here is where Samsung lost $1bn.

Samsung loses trial against Apple, ordered to pay over $1bn in damages (Wired UK)
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-06-15 04:31 AM
    Here is an interesting formula that is often left off the "BB making an un-forked Android device" topic.

Android =/= success.

Android handset manufacturers are dominating shipments in a market that grew by 30% this year, but their profits fell by 50%. I don't want to give away too many trade secrets guys but...

***whisper voice***

When your industry is exploding with growth but your profits are being cut in half, you have a BIG problem.

***return to normal voice***

I see nothing in this equation that proved BB would have any more success with AOS over BB10OS.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-06-15 04:53 AM
    Which is why they would do both. What's so hard to comprehend about that?

Plus, BlackBerry would have differentiating features not the least being physical keyboards.

The difference would be that they would not be asking people to "know what is best for them", and forgo all the apps they are used to in the name of supposedly higher security (which most users can't even take advantage of in BB10 anyway).

I don't get why people are against this?

You guys can still buy BB10 and it will be even better for the purists because it will not be tainted by the Android you so fiercely hate.

While the vast majority of "dummies that are OK with supposedly inferior security" can still enjoy the productivity and form factor BlackBerry offers without having to lose their expansive android app collections.

Imagine you make pizza, spent years coming up with a great topping combination recipe. Unfortunately the big guy down the road, doesn't make as great a pizza, has flashier signs, is closer to the main road, and gets most of the business. However he says he'll let you sell pizza at his place, you can use your toppings but you need to use his dough and push his drinks.

Clearly since most people are buying his Pizza already, they are OK with his dough,.. so... it can only get better. Why wouldn't you swallow your pride, set up shop at his pizza place, and reap the benefits of the hard work you put into coming up with the great topping combination recipe? Why would you risk throwing away the investment made into subcomponents, simply because you can't sell them together?

I suppose that's what Chen is doing by offering the separate BlackBerry experience suites. But I would rather buy a BlackBerry-designed piece of hardware, preferably with a physical kb.

Posted via CB10
    walt63, eyhab27 and Witmen like this.
    03-06-15 08:03 AM
    A better and up to date Android runtime is win win for all BlackBerry 10 users.
    Unfortunately, that solution never won and will never win for BBRY. It's a bandage on a deep stab wound.
    03-06-15 08:23 AM
    Is it possible for BlackBerry to create Dual Boot phones? The user can switch from BB10 to Android and vice versa. Look at Onda tablets it lets the user switch between Win 8.1 and Android OS. It would be great if user can choose the OS while booting or switch seemlessly from one OS to another when required.
    Great thought, but no. The OHA won't allow it.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...droid-devices/
    03-06-15 09:15 AM
    This OHA is only as strong as Google allows it to be. They can do whatever they want. Such as have similar functionality on iOS.
    03-06-15 10:31 AM
    I don't get why people are against this?
    The only reason I can think of is that they are afraid of the BlackBerry with Android outselling the BlackBerry with BB10.

Something like that would prove to everyone that investing all of that money into BB10 instead of switching to Android was a huge mistake.
    Donvald likes this.
    03-06-15 10:33 AM
    The only reason I can think of is that they are afraid of the BlackBerry with Android outselling the BlackBerry with BB10.

Something like that would prove to everyone that investing all of that money into BB10 instead of switching to Android was a huge mistake.
    It probably would outsell simply by virtue of the how many more people may actually even consider it.

For the record though... I don't think BB10 was a mistake (it's a brilliant OS),.. However there is no question that it was fatally late.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-06-15 11:19 AM

I don't want to BlackBerry sink their ship by wasting their limited resources on the fools errand that is "going Android". Instead I would rather BlackBerry spend all of their resources catering to their actual customers while leveraging their software and patents in markets where they can compete, such as the medical hardware industry.

You can't think of things, because you are close minded and you have an agenda...

Posted via CB10
    CoreyKY921 likes this.
    03-06-15 11:42 AM
    It probably would outsell simply by virtue of the how many more people may actually even consider it.

For the record though... I don't think BB10 was a mistake (it's a brilliant OS),.. However there is no question that it was fatally late.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Releasing BB10 in 2013, after iOS and Android already had a huge lead, was the mistake. Not necessarily the OS itself. Had the Storm ran an entirely new, QNX based OS, way back then, things would be completely different for BlackBerry right now.
    03-06-15 11:48 AM
    I don't want to BlackBerry sink their ship by wasting their limited resources on the fools errand that is "going Android". Instead I would rather BlackBerry spend all of their resources catering to their actual customers while leveraging their software and patents in markets where they can compete, such as the medical hardware industry.

You can't think of things, because you are close minded and you have an agenda...

Posted via CB10
    Aren't you being close minded by being so sure that BlackBerry would be wasting their resources by going Android?

I mean, you haven't the foggiest clue how well a BlackBerry smartphone that runs Android would sell. Neither do I for that matter. All either of us can do at this point is make guesses.

Here is a question for you. If you could have either situation happen, would you rather see BlackBerry be successful and sell millions of Android devices each day or see them shut the hardware business down completely?
    03-06-15 12:06 PM
    Aren't you being close minded by being so sure that BlackBerry would be wasting their resources by going Android?

I mean, you haven't the foggiest clue how well a BlackBerry smartphone that runs Android would sell. Neither do I for that matter. All either of us can do at this point is make guesses.

Here is a question for you. If you could have either situation happen, would you rather see BlackBerry be successful and sell millions of Android devices each day or see them shut the hardware business down completely?
    I would rather see BlackBerry sell millions of BlackBerry 10 devices, BBM stickers, MDM contracts, QNX installations, and software / patent licenses.

Note how that wasn't one of you two options.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 12:16 PM
    BlackBerry has banged it's head against the IOS/Droid wall for sometime now.
    So far the wall has won.

How much longer should they attempt this? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a new/better results.

A massaged secure version of Droid along with secure well performing BlackBerry options for both IOS and Droid would open many more doors.
    BB10 would remain Enterprise only and most secure.

Samsung will build the BlackBerry Droids.
    BlackBerry will limit their own hardware production.

Is it another BlackBerry slow train wreck or the Savior of Waterloo?

BlackBerry hates America!
    03-06-15 12:22 PM
210 12345 ...